Work/Death

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Re: Work/Death

Post by luciferjonez »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:08 am
luciferjonez wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:01 pm
Crimesofthecrown777 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:52 am This guy was incredibly talented. Saw him with Concern on that last tour that both of them did.

Sure, most of you here probably don't know the drama but goddamn if it isn't sad.

I think that whats even more disappointing is that even after the drama Scott refused to come back. People have tried to convince him (even those that cast stones, they apologized profusely) but to no avail.

However, only cowards back down forever, especially on false accusations.
What was the drama? The last I was able to find was a residency in Japan.

Unfounded sexual assault allegations. While I'm a Leftist, I was disgusted by how things were handled.
That truly is a shame. The few interviews I was able to find with him he seemed to be an encyclopedia of music history. I can appreciate the approach.
Empathic Window
Sound Art

Post by Empathic Window »

First noise show I ever went to was during that 2014 Work/Death and Concern tour at Pageant: Soleveev. One of the best to ever do it, hands down. Permanently solidified my love of the art form. Even aside from that Scott just seemed like a beautiful man in general, and I really hope that he’s doing okay even after all what went down about Lingua Ignota and him
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Oof! I came across this page that I'm guessing was for a course that she taught and read an interview with her where she praised Scott and called him one of her closest friends. I saw something about her and the singer from Daughters (whomever that is). Such a shame.

http://textplus2015.wordpress.com/author/kristinhayter/

"A major reason I keep making music when I feel like I should stop is my closest friend Scøtt Reber, Work/Death, who has been an amazing support system for me for the past two years. Scøtt is almost a mythical figure in Providence and is rarely seen aside from at shows. He makes the most beautiful, perfect music. Technically he ‘does noise’ but it’s so much more, he’s totally a savant, he painstakingly crafts these really dense soundscapes that are a culmination of musical intuition, emotional sincerity, and theoretical knowledge which are somehow perfectly balanced and so well executed — but everything still sounds broken. He has this massive brainspace occupied solely by 20th century avant-garde schools of thought about tonality and human cognitive understanding of sound, he knows more about music than pretty much every music scholar I’ve ever met. The screensaver on his laptop is a black void with a white text box that bounces around, it says: “Yr fucked and everything is fucked. keep trying to fix things. it’s still fucked. keep trying.” I think of this every day."

From a 2017 interview: http://musicandriots.com/interview-with ... a-ignota1/
sobbing
Blank Tape

Post by sobbing »

luciferjonez wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:53 pm Oof! I came across this page that I'm guessing was for a course that she taught and read an interview with her where she praised Scott and called him one of her closest friends. I saw something about her and the singer from Daughters (whomever that is). Such a shame.

http://textplus2015.wordpress.com/author/kristinhayter/

"A major reason I keep making music when I feel like I should stop is my closest friend Scøtt Reber, Work/Death, who has been an amazing support system for me for the past two years. Scøtt is almost a mythical figure in Providence and is rarely seen aside from at shows. He makes the most beautiful, perfect music. Technically he ‘does noise’ but it’s so much more, he’s totally a savant, he painstakingly crafts these really dense soundscapes that are a culmination of musical intuition, emotional sincerity, and theoretical knowledge which are somehow perfectly balanced and so well executed — but everything still sounds broken. He has this massive brainspace occupied solely by 20th century avant-garde schools of thought about tonality and human cognitive understanding of sound, he knows more about music than pretty much every music scholar I’ve ever met. The screensaver on his laptop is a black void with a white text box that bounces around, it says: “Yr fucked and everything is fucked. keep trying to fix things. it’s still fucked. keep trying.” I think of this every day."

From a 2017 interview: http://musicandriots.com/interview-with ... a-ignota1/
iirc this person is also the reason he dipped. But thats just what ive heard.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

It seems like someone either has extremely poor judgement in picking partners, or likes to cry wolf.
NoIdolsNoHeroes
Blank Tape

Post by NoIdolsNoHeroes »

Can anyone recommend more stuff out there that would be similar to this, especially Mulberries? That is now my new favorite noise release (thanks to this thread) and I need more!
confuzzled
C20

Post by confuzzled »

NoIdolsNoHeroes wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:56 am Can anyone recommend more stuff out there that would be similar to this, especially Mulberries? That is now my new favorite noise release (thanks to this thread) and I need more!
What is Mulberries? besides the obvious.
NoIdolsNoHeroes
Blank Tape

confuzzled wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:41 pm

The Work / Death album, Mulberries Ripen and Rot.
confuzzled
C20

Post by confuzzled »

NoIdolsNoHeroes wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:55 pm

Thanks! I have to check them/him out.
Bigsby
Contact Mic

Post by Bigsby »

Crimesofthecrown777 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:52 am This guy was incredibly talented. Saw him with Concern on that last tour that both of them did.

Sure, most of you here probably don't know the drama but goddamn if it isn't sad.

I think that whats even more disappointing is that even after the drama Scott refused to come back. People have tried to convince him (even those that cast stones, they apologized profusely) but to no avail.

Holy fuck this is so obnoxious you wannabe twat
NoIdolsNoHeroes
Blank Tape

Bigsby wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:22 am

Holy fuck this is so obnoxious you wannabe twat
First post ever and he uses it to call Mack a wannabe. Lol wild. Go touch grass, my guy.
Bigsby
Contact Mic

Post by Bigsby »

First post/go touch grass doesn’t make sense, as the latter infers spending too much time online. It is my first post b/c I am in fact outdoors. Sorry I slighted your sacred cow, Mr No heroes No Idols, I think calling the artist a coward is arrogant bullshit.
Last edited by Bigsby on Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoIdolsNoHeroes
Blank Tape

Bigsby wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:21 pm First post/go touch grass doesn’t make sense, as the former infers spending too much time online. It is my first post b/c I am in fact outdoors. Sorry I slighted your sacred cow, Mr No heroes No Idols, I think calling the artist a coward is arrogant bullshit.
Not my sacred cow and I'm not even saying that I personally agree with what he said. My point is that you have no room to call anyone a "wannabe" (let alone someone as well known and respected as he is) when you have literally contributed nothing.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

*chuckles in power electronics*
confuzzled
C20

Post by confuzzled »

NoIdolsNoHeroes wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:55 pm

That LP is unbelievable. Thanks for the tip.
Tinnitustimulus
C20

Post by Tinnitustimulus »

Crimesofthecrown777 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:52 am
I think I have seen you play once 13 years ago but I have no idea who you are. I will say I know Scott the person as he was my friend, and he has had plenty of personal demons and problems that I can already see from your lack of depth couldn't understand if you tried. Shitting on Kristen does nothing for Scott, considering him a coward if he doesn't continue his project certainly worse. From I understand he needed to stop to figure out other aspects in life that noise simply can't provide for emotional stability and is finding deeper personal purpose for himself that does not involve music at the moment. If you consider that cowardly or failure as a fan, maybe comparing his misgivings to yourself being superior is closer to what people cancelled him for in the first place.

That said I might upload some very old Work/Death cdrs when I have the time, though probably just the 2nd one, the material is most consistent to the Work/Death we know.
Bigsby
Contact Mic

Post by Bigsby »

Tinnitustimulus wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:59 pm
I think I have seen you play once 13 years ago but I have no idea who you are.
He’s been around since the troniks days. Heard the Rita and started making boring walls, then heard Genocide Organ and so now makes generic derivative pe. I’m basically quoting him from a WC podcast interview. Wannabe canon. Wannabe gatekeeper. Wanna be lauded by Grunt. Wannabe respected and feared thug. Wanna be Old Testament hard. Wanna flirt with nationalism and theocratic fascism. Wanna set the record straight haha.

His work is not on par with Scott’s, not even close, and calling Scott a coward is some a juvenile scenester wannabe bullshit.
confuzzled
C20

Post by confuzzled »

Tinnitustimulus wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:59 pm
I think I have seen you play once 13 years ago but I have no idea who you are. I will say I know Scott the person as he was my friend, and he has had plenty of personal demons and problems that I can already see from your lack of depth couldn't understand if you tried. Shitting on Kristen does nothing for Scott, considering him a coward if he doesn't continue his project certainly worse. From I understand he needed to stop to figure out other aspects in life that noise simply can't provide for emotional stability and is finding deeper personal purpose for himself that does not involve music at the moment. If you consider that cowardly or failure as a fan, maybe comparing his misgivings to yourself being superior is closer to what people cancelled him for in the first place.

That said I might upload some very old Work/Death cdrs when I have the time, though probably just the 2nd one, the material is most consistent to the Work/Death we know.
You guys going back and forth is a bit confusing. Who did you see play 13 years ago and who is now making derivative PE? Who is Kristen? Is she the one who falsely accused him of assault? You said he "was" your friend? Is he no longer around? You are 100% correct that noise does not solve problems nor pay the rent. If you do upload his stuff please post the link but I would prefer to be able to buy his music and give the artist the money.
Bigsby
Contact Mic

Post by Bigsby »

nah.don't derail the thread anymore. i just thought that the coward remark should not go unchallenged.

listen to work/death.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Bigsby wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:05 pm nah.don't derail the thread anymore. i just thought that the coward remark should not go unchallenged.

listen to work/death.
Thank you for not derailing it any further.

Btw both are good artists.
Sisto
Blank Tape

Post by Sisto »

Having a nostalgic kickback. anybody here remember Scotts Providence student radio show in the early 00s? cant really remember what it was called. but it sure introduced me to a lot of noise I would never have discovered if it wasn't for him.
Misere
Nichts Bleibt
Sisto
Blank Tape

Post by Sisto »

it was on BSR Live ......damn I really would love to have recordings of these episodes. maybe someone here remembers and recorded these...
here is a link to a Droppead show Scott recorded :
Misere
Nichts Bleibt
confuzzled
C20

Post by confuzzled »

Are there an interviews with the guy from work/death online?
lovelife
Contact Mic

Post by lovelife »

Scott is a good person, albeit complex. I miss him and his music, too. Does anyone have his work digitized/places other than a couple YouTubes? Or suggestions for other nuanced comforting noise projects? I'm new, sorry. Hi.
lovelife
Contact Mic

Post by lovelife »

confuzzled wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:32 am Are there an interviews with the guy from work/death online?
As far as I know, they are gone. Someone tried to post one interview from AS220 from ye oldey timeys but the link was no longer active.