Merzbow Reissue Wishlist

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
puritanwaste
Hard Panning

Re: Merzbow Reissue Wishlist

Post by puritanwaste »

Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:49 pm Great American Nude / Crash For Hi-Fi. How has this never been reissued...

Also Spiral Honey.
Yeah, these are both incredible. Considering that there seem to be at least one or two reissues per month lately, reissues for these two key releases must be on the horizon.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

holy ghost wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:04 pm
Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:49 pm Great American Nude / Crash For Hi-Fi. How has this never been reissued...

Also Spiral Honey.
For real. I'd love to see it! [edit: these are the sort of CDs that venture into the "$50+shipping" realm"]

Just got the Space Metalizer DLP in the mail. Looks sick. Urashima did an amaxzng job. I also got those Merzbow/Smegma collab CDs on Helicopter and I'm going to give them a spin tomorrow.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

Flying Testicle - Space Desia
Masami, Maso, Zev…!!!!!!

I rlly wish this wld be reissued. Mason says tho that Masami has been v against it. 🤷🏻

SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Has anyone purchased either the newer 60 or 30ish cd boxsets?
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

SS1535 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:37 pm Has anyone purchased either the newer 60 or 30ish cd boxsets?
I haven’t but I would also prefer purchase one really good Merzbow reissue for $50 than spend a lot more on a set with (potentially) a lot of filler on it.

I was very interested in the Merzbient set(s) but was never able to justify pulling the plug.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

holy ghost wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:37 pm
SS1535 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:37 pm Has anyone purchased either the newer 60 or 30ish cd boxsets?
I haven’t but I would also prefer purchase one really good Merzbow reissue for $50 than spend a lot more on a set with (potentially) a lot of filler on it.

I was very interested in the Merzbient set(s) but was never able to justify pulling the plug.
You are probably wiser than I am with such standards! (Or at least more financially wise...)

I guess what is interesting to me about the new boxsets, at least the smaller ones, is that they sounded as though they each are representative of a swath of releases from a specific time period, which, to me, would at least give whatever is on them---filler or otherwise---some historical context/value and therefore interest.

I still have not listened to any of the Merzbient material. I just have such a hard time listening well to long albums online that I have been putting it off!
moozz
Hard Panning

Post by moozz »

SS1535 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:38 pm I guess what is interesting to me about the new boxsets, at least the smaller ones, is that they sounded as though they each are representative of a swath of releases from a specific time period, which, to me, would at least give whatever is on them---filler or otherwise---some historical context/value and therefore interest.
Indeed the 6xCD boxes on Slowdown Records all(?) consist of material recorded in a specific short period of time. For example:

Loop & Collage: 1984-1987
Strings & Percussion: 1987
Tapestry Of Noise: 1989-1991
Metallic: 1993-1995
Green & Orange: 1996-1998
Laptop Noise: 1999
Go Vegan: 2001-2003
Ship Of Chicken: 2004-2005

And so on.... I am not the biggest fan of the laptop era. Although a lot of it is good (or even great) I cannot NOT compare it to the early/mid '90s and it always pales in comparison. Depending on what period of Merzbow one prefers I'd say go ahead and check out one of the 6xCD boxes from that era. Do I want to hear more stuff like Kamadhenu and Dead Zone from 2011? No. Do I want more stuff like Metalvelodrome, Venereology and Noisembryo? Well, yes I do. For me Metallic is fantastic.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Mh. I only have and speciffically bought the Orange and Green box as it has Tauromachine-era stuff... But, like so many books, movies and recordings, I've yet to listen!
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

moozz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:41 am
SS1535 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:38 pm I guess what is interesting to me about the new boxsets, at least the smaller ones, is that they sounded as though they each are representative of a swath of releases from a specific time period, which, to me, would at least give whatever is on them---filler or otherwise---some historical context/value and therefore interest.
Indeed the 6xCD boxes on Slowdown Records all(?) consist of material recorded in a specific short period of time. For example:

Loop & Collage: 1984-1987
Strings & Percussion: 1987
Tapestry Of Noise: 1989-1991
Metallic: 1993-1995
Green & Orange: 1996-1998
Laptop Noise: 1999
Go Vegan: 2001-2003
Ship Of Chicken: 2004-2005

And so on.... I am not the biggest fan of the laptop era. Although a lot of it is good (or even great) I cannot NOT compare it to the early/mid '90s and it always pales in comparison. Depending on what period of Merzbow one prefers I'd say go ahead and check out one of the 6xCD boxes from that era. Do I want to hear more stuff like Kamadhenu and Dead Zone from 2011? No. Do I want more stuff like Metalvelodrome, Venereology and Noisembryo? Well, yes I do. For me Metallic is fantastic.
I end up enjoying whatever I get from Merzbow, so since I have no strong opinions agains the laptop material, then it might be worth it to just pick up something at random!