Releases of note, 2024

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Releases of note, 2024

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

Junta - Pathetic Frustration
Could easily pass, no questions asked, for early-mid 90s Incaps. We're talkin No Progress era, complete with them weird electronic burps n burbles amid the unutterably brutal scorchleries (which somehow, don't ask me how, render the unutterably brutal scorchleries that much more scorchlerous). Like why would I be praising a return to something what been done...but, hold on I don't think it has quite been done.

Against the harsher electronics I'll tack on fragments of Golden Serenades The Swan, at least as far as hints of acoustic amp space would seem to be rendered er raw. And just to reinforce the point, I just got on to bandcamp to discover things like Go Broken and, brace yourself, Yes, Fun, like okay the latter makes my eyes bleed but at least indicative of the obvious inspirations.

Perhaps suffice it to say, sometimes that harshasfuck feeling is to be celebrated. And here in the good ol 2024, like, better late than never.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Re: Releases of note, 2024

Post by adult human »

Very much enjoyed the recent Tahma and Mogao releases on Satatuhatta. Only listened on headphones through bandcamp so far but they've left an impression. Looking forward to getting the Tahma on tape and may or may not go back and hunt down Mogao's on physical pending another listen.

Tahma's stuff appeals to me in it's sputtering, shitty, knackered sound. This is really just the shit I love to be honest. I will not claim it is executed in precisely the vein of damage I most appreciate but things shouldn't always align perfectly with what you want. The swirling, formless metallic clatter sitting beneath the squitting electronics is something I probably wouldn't choose, at least on first listen, because for at least a year I've felt pretty over the ubiquity of identifiably metal sounds in noise. However I admire the foot it has in a TNB school of properly non-musical, non-entertainment sound. I'll be keeping my eyes open for more shit from this artist. Gives me a slight twinge of what we've heard so far of Dressing, though perhaps in a more loose, shattered way. Perhaps no coincidence considering both are relatively new artists we're listening to in the process of exploring their sounds?

Mogao's thing is, on some levels, a bit brass necked and on the nose. Harsh noise over blown out recording of Krishna chanting etc. But to be fair, the brass necked on the noseness of fucking around with found (?) recordings in this way reminds me precisely of what I loved about noise when I first began digging in. The noise elements are grotty, rough and not possessed of any concessions toward cleverness. Good, clean, simple fun. Will give it a second spin tomorrow.

Aesethtically I'm enjoying where these releases come from. I have not been a close follower of Satatuhatta so far - no reason besides constantly leaving it on the 'to check out' list - but hitting upon this stuff is a nice discovery in a new label doing things its own way with projects that appear to have a zest for a bit of daftness and fun.
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

adult human wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:46 pm However I admire the foot it has in a TNB school of properly non-musical, non-entertainment sound.
Seconded, the Mogao tape is really good. A friend and I were listening to it recently and he compared it to Spring of Life in how it’s put together, if not in its sound. It was a great call.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

murmur wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:22 pm
adult human wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:46 pm However I admire the foot it has in a TNB school of properly non-musical, non-entertainment sound.
Seconded, the Mogao tape is really good. A friend and I were listening to it recently and he compared it to Spring of Life in how it’s put together, if not in its sound. It was a great call.
Do you mean Tahma? Because I definitely thought about Spring of Life whilst listening. Lots of similarities.
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

adult human wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:45 pm
Do you mean Tahma? Because I definitely thought about Spring of Life whilst listening. Lots of similarities.
Oh, yes that’s it. My mistake!
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

murmur wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:49 pm
adult human wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:45 pm

Oh, yes that’s it. My mistake!
Very cool that similar senses are being provoked by at least two of us when listening.

Of course I know nothing about the person behind the project and what they may/may not have done before, but I like the notion that a potentially new creator of noise is opting for a sound characterised by instability and chaotic broken electronics.
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

I didn't like Tahma's tape as much as I wished. The approach is great but the sounds didn't appeal to me much. I'm looking forward to whatever is coming next though.

The new Mogao tape is amazing, imho. It has an organic and "rusty" (to quote a friend who used the perfect word to describe it) feel I keep searching for in noise tapes, including in what I record, and Veikko just nailed it. It's a great follow-uo to the "Hidden God" CD that just came out as well.

The Toanche Dwelling tape on Satatuhatta's last batch is also great, as usual.
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Post by k.p.g »

We are only wrapping up the first quarter, and there are a ton of great releases! Here are some worth checking out --

Organ of Corti - Fanaticus (New Forces)
Aaron Dilloway - Freak-Out Your Friends! (Hanson) [side note: this is the best the dude has sounded live ever. Bugged him for a minute to put this out on a physical format, so glad he did.]
Flesh Shuddering - S.C.I.S.S.O.R.S. (Loveearthmusic)
Tim Gick - Neighbor Invader (Flat Plastic)
Lucas Abela - Worn Out Welcome (Mechanical Presence)
Darksmith - Darksmith (No Rent)
Awenyyd - Nwyfre (Fusty)
----
December Magic - Edifice (Hospital)
Laureate - Gravity's Shadow (Hospital)
[Both Hospital tapes are from late 2023, but those who buy from the label know how long it takes for them to get things together... so I think it is fair game to let these ones roll over into 2024 lists]
----
Reissue front also looking pretty stellar!
Kjostad - Old Campaigners (New Forces)
Skin Crime - Skin Crime (New Forces)
Reverse Baptism - Street Business (No Rent)

I am feeling mighty hopeful for what comes around the Spring/Summertime!
Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
New Forces
Hard Panning

Post by New Forces »

Family Underground – The Acetone Of Flowers (Chocolate Monk) CDR
Omit – InSec (Stiltbreeze) LP
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

New Forces wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:07 pm Family Underground – The Acetone Of Flowers (Chocolate Monk) CDR
Too tired and distracted too keep up with... anything or anyone, but Family Underground has done some stellar stuff in recent years. Love the LP from.a few years back, Time Of Others. Superb beautiful drone/whatever. Excellent cover photo as well.
Good reminder I should check what's new since that one.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Agreed on this FU heater. A biased but accurate reminder that Monk quietly but consistently issues some of the best shit going all year, every year.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Here's what I've gotten that was released this year so far (that I can remember...), the vast majority of which was digital. Don't think I got anything from Hot Fuzz that was released this year, but did get some things that were during previous years...

ACCESSTOGOD - 𝔣​𝔯​𝔬​𝔪 𝔱​𝔥​𝔢 𝔱​𝔯​𝔢​𝔫​𝔠​𝔥 (self-released)
Darksmith - Darksmith (No Rent)
Disgust - Fin (Phage)
Living Room - Shitting Gold (Evidence/self-released)
Living Room - Abortion Should Be Free (Room Rot/self-released)
inanition - talentless hack (self-released)
Sissy Spacek - INDEFATIGABLE DEMORALIZATION (Blast Addict)
Various Artists - Droneuary 2024 (Silber)
Patriots as Slaves - HNW Amendment II (God Given Right​!​) (Stemms)
RDKPL - auraldio noistems (Stemms)
RJ Myato​/​Whore's Breath split (Stemms)
silver dove​/​Whore's Breath (Stemms)
Whore's Breath & Cacophonous Split (Stemms)
Whore's Breath - Basin Hedge Aisle (Stemms)
Whore's Breath - The Elephant Hole (Stemms)
Whore's Breath - Incoherent (Stemms)
Whore's Breath - Disjointed (Stemms)
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

Thomas Deangelo - Mouth Music CS on New Forces.

Pasting a short comment I made on it elsewhere some time ago:

"Like some sugar-pumped oaf of a kid playing with the lever on a firehose loaded with lard and syphilitic urine. On a more serious note (although it really does sound the way I described it), he manages to marry his more high brow influences with the lower in a perfect way here. Straight from the looney bin, this one."

Still valid! Best so far this year.
puritanwaste
Hard Panning

Post by puritanwaste »

Rodger Stella/Hal Hutchinson - Molten Metal Ecstacy

This one was released rather quietly a couple of weeks ago. It's not on a label and Black Psychosis appears to be the primary distributor, so I'm guessing Hutchinson put it out himself, and man—he's a perfect collaborator for Stella. I've skimmed through enough of Hal's junk noise material over the years to confidently say that he's very fucking good at what he does. His nasty junk sounds are spot on and his bonehead PE project also boasts a good sense of arrangement, even if it's not really my thing. It's unnecessary to say much about Stella's own strong suits here, but wow—these two distinct approaches sure mesh beautifully.The feel here is far more vibrant and stoney than it is harsh, but even within its restraint, it's never boring. Highly recommended for noiseheads who also like bongs.

Anyways, I can't recommend this one enough. It's right in the sweet spot for me.

[yt][/yt]

https://www.discogs.com/release/3035744 ... al-Ecstacy
papp diin
Blank Tape

Post by papp diin »

puritanwaste wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:15 am Rodger Stella/Hal Hutchinson - Molten Metal Ecstacy

This one was released rather quietly a couple of weeks ago. It's not on a label and Black Psychosis appears to be the primary distributor, so I'm guessing Hutchinson put it out himself, and man—he's a perfect collaborator for Stella. I've skimmed through enough of Hal's junk noise material over the years to confidently say that he's very fucking good at what he does. His nasty junk sounds are spot on and his bonehead PE project also boasts a good sense of arrangement, even if it's not really my thing. It's unnecessary to say much about Stella's own strong suits here, but wow—these two distinct approaches sure mesh beautifully.The feel here is far more vibrant and stoney than it is harsh, but even within its restraint, it's never boring. Highly recommended for noiseheads who also like bongs.

Anyways, I can't recommend this one enough. It's right in the sweet spot for me.

[yt][/yt]

https://www.discogs.com/release/3035744 ... al-Ecstacy
Might have to pick this one up, this is class
Kenny
Thrashmaster

Post by Kenny »

A coup;le of 2024 things that I have been enjoying

Esplendor Geometrico "Stepitus Rhythmico" - Just out, but killer, actually some of the best stuff and hardest stuff I`ve heard from them in a good while
https://www.rotordiscos.com/catalogo/st ... icus/4853/

V/A "Born Coast" (Industrial Coast) = feel a bit cheeky to include it as I am on it, but this is ace, really diverse and interesting, noise remixes of Richie Culver`s excellent "I was Born by the Sea" featuring Climax Denial, Richard Ramirez, Commuter, Violent Shogun, The Vomit Arsonist lots more..

Stalingrad "She Called Herself Tania" (Industrial Coast) is My favourite of the year so far - a "mixtape" that goes everywhere, hardcore, noise, drone, bass music. a ton of people were involved in this, a massive triumph.
https://industrialcoast.bandcamp.com/al ... self-tania

Also, the new JT Whitfield tape on Strange Therapy sounds great. Looking forward to this
https://strangetherapy.bandcamp.com/alb ... compulsion
mouthofinfinity
Contact Mic

Post by mouthofinfinity »

Some that haven’t been mentioned
JHK - Sugar Mountain
Luster’s - Sun Doesn’t Weep
Master Grave Services - On the Subject of Pestilence
Nauseous Ejector - Hyper Graphic War Wound pt 2