Noise Boxes

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
bobMarinelli
C20

Noise Boxes

Post by bobMarinelli »

or home made instruments or whatever people like to call them. I think it would be a fun project, and I've gone so far as to buy a bow. but really, if I'm not doing it on a cold Sunday in feb when I'm almost snowed in, I'll probably never do it. still, this guy did, to great effect . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbtuaIJKMI4
confuzzled
C20

Re: Noise Boxes

Post by confuzzled »

di you buy rosin to go along with the bow? I picked one up as well but did not get the rosin. Hoping that the rosin makes the difference.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Rosin should make a huge difference, yes. I'd go so far as to say that a bow is nearly useless without it. I bought a cheap Chinese violin off ebay for noise research purposes myself a few years ago. That was my first time using a bow, so it took a bit of trial and error to realize this... The rosin takes some time to work in, but put it on thick enough and you can bow just about anything resonant with a flat edge and get a sound from it.

I've read that applying it heavily is best for instruments like the daxophone (another cool "noise box"). But you can possibly expect to get tacky rosin dust everywhere using a lot of it as well.
moth1334
Contact Mic

Post by moth1334 »

I've also heard that dark rosin will have more grip than light, also that it is softer so probably less dust
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

You can put rosin on drums too and sound them with your fingers my friend does that
confuzzled
C20

Post by confuzzled »

speaking of drums I just watched a reel on instagram with a kid who put a soup can on it's side his snare tightened the snare and it turned into a reverb snare.

BTW, I did get the rosin. Haven't had a chance to apply it to the bow. probably this weekend.
bobMarinelli
C20

Post by bobMarinelli »

I bought a cheap Chinese violin off ebay for noise research purposes
did you modify it, and then add a Moog to the mix? I bet that turns a noise track into a component of an industrial track relatively quickly. or in this case an ominous pop track perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIjLkpwAjzc