Neofolk

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Re: Neofolk

Post by Scream & Writhe »

SS1535 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:43 pm It reminds me also that England's Hidden Reverse book for some more in-depth information on these guys. Speaking of it, has anyone read that book? Worth it?
Happiness, forever wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:15 pm It is a great book if you are into David Tibet & Current 93. Coil and Nurse parts cldve brought more joy, imo.
Great, great book. I just got the new edition so I'll be going in for a re-read soon. I don't remember being too let down by any of it, but I'll see how it feels this time around (maybe the expanded parts fill some of that mentioned Coil/NWW void). There are also plenty of good early Whitehouse tidbits from what I remember.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

Yeah… to be fair, it has been a very long time since I read it, and not the expanded version either.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:55 am
SS1535 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:43 pm It reminds me also that England's Hidden Reverse book for some more in-depth information on these guys. Speaking of it, has anyone read that book? Worth it?
Happiness, forever wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:15 pm It is a great book if you are into David Tibet & Current 93. Coil and Nurse parts cldve brought more joy, imo.
Great, great book. I just got the new edition so I'll be going in for a re-read soon. I don't remember being too let down by any of it, but I'll see how it feels this time around (maybe the expanded parts fill some of that mentioned Coil/NWW void). There are also plenty of good early Whitehouse tidbits from what I remember.
I didn't realize it was so biased towards C93 (not that that's a bad thing, necessarily). I will have to pick up the expanded edition next year, I think.

Looking now, I realize that there are some sections on C93 in the Assimilate book as well.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

SS1535 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:16 pm
I didn't realize it was so biased towards C93 (not that that's a bad thing, necessarily). I will have to pick up the expanded edition next year, I think.
I'd say it's quite evenly divided between the three groups, at least in terms of chronicling the history. Perhaps there is more C93 content because they have a few more prominent albums and a vast list of collaborators that really extended their reach.

I'm looking forward to reading the new Coil book soon https://strangeattractor.greedbag.com/b ... ving-conv/
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

SS1535 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:43 pm Thank you very much for this! I think Bjork sings on one track in Island as well. It reminds me also that England's Hidden Reverse book for some more in-depth information on these guys. Speaking of it, has anyone read that book? Worth it?
I can't recommend this book enough. I'm almost finished it, I've been totally glued to it. It not only gives interesting stories, insights and facts about Coil, Current 93, and Nurse With Wound, it also contextualizes everything by going into the whole English experimental scene to a certain extent. So much interesting in-depth history and background, so many names, bands, artists from the English scene mentioned. Everyone knew each other and everyone was on each others albums! There's a whole paragraph where Tibet raves about how much he loves Crass, for example. There are also moments where it has some analysis on the ideas and themes of the music, as well as industrial as a whole. My only criticism is that there are very brief moments where the author injects his own opinions on some of the music or artists mentioned which I felt unnecessary and annoying, I felt the author's role should be documentor, it's up to the reader and listener to decide how they feel. But this isn't really a big deal, and didn't take too much from the book for me.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Well damb I’ve been outnumbered hahaha… Maybe i just wanted more Coil content.
… i’m not gonna read the book again tho.
The Coil interviews book looks interesting fo’sho
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:24 pm
SS1535 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:16 pm

I'd say it's quite evenly divided between the three groups, at least in terms of chronicling the history. Perhaps there is more C93 content because they have a few more prominent albums and a vast list of collaborators that really extended their reach.

I'm looking forward to reading the new Coil book soon https://strangeattractor.greedbag.com/b ... ving-conv/
I had seen that Coil book posted around online a few times in recent weeks, it definitely looks really interesting (Which brings me to also needing to dig further into Coil... haha). I guess it's time for a dedicated Coil thread.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Natalia wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:26 pm
SS1535 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:43 pm Thank you very much for this! I think Bjork sings on one track in Island as well. It reminds me also that England's Hidden Reverse book for some more in-depth information on these guys. Speaking of it, has anyone read that book? Worth it?
I can't recommend this book enough. I'm almost finished it, I've been totally glued to it. It not only gives interesting stories, insights and facts about Coil, Current 93, and Nurse With Wound, it also contextualizes everything by going into the whole English experimental scene to a certain extent. So much interesting in-depth history and background, so many names, bands, artists from the English scene mentioned. Everyone knew each other and everyone was on each others albums! There's a whole paragraph where Tibet raves about how much he loves Crass, for example. There are also moments where it has some analysis on the ideas and themes of the music, as well as industrial as a whole. My only criticism is that there are very brief moments where the author injects his own opinions on some of the music or artists mentioned which I felt unnecessary and annoying, I felt the author's role should be documentor, it's up to the reader and listener to decide how they feel. But this isn't really a big deal, and didn't take too much from the book for me.
That sounds really cool. I take it that the author's opinions are not good ones generally?
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

SS1535 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:54 pm That sounds really cool. I take it that the author's opinions are not good ones generally?
That's pretty subjective, they're fine opinions honestly. I agree with him and disagree with him. He just comes off as pretentious at times. It happens infrequently enough to not really detract from the book too much.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Natalia wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:53 am
SS1535 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:54 pm That sounds really cool. I take it that the author's opinions are not good ones generally?
That's pretty subjective, they're fine opinions honestly. I agree with him and disagree with him. He just comes off as pretentious at times. It happens infrequently enough to not really detract from the book too much.
Sounds tolerable enough then.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

I hope i didn’t taint the pool with doubt abt the book. The author is mostly fine, the writing is mostly fine, the info is mostly a lot.
My gripe stems from my perception that there was generally a deeper dive into the life of Tibet at the loss of some time given to Nurse & Coil. I’m being told No Not The Case. I also hadnt read the expanded version, only the original, so maybe changes were made idk.
Either way, anyway, I wld recommend the book to any fan of those three.

Now abt that Coil thread…..
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

I've been spending time with Current 93's The Light is Leaving Us All over the past week or so and I feel like I've finally unlocked it. I think I'd previously always gone to it while deep in a C93 hole where it couldn't stand up to the formidable albums of the 90s, but it's revealed itself to be a quality release when listening to it on its own without certain expectations. "The Postman is Singing" is musically very reminiscent to "Hitler as Kalki".
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:46 pm I've been spending time with Current 93's The Light is Leaving Us All over the past week or so and I feel like I've finally unlocked it. I think I'd previously always gone to it while deep in a C93 hole where it couldn't stand up to the formidable albums of the 90s, but it's revealed itself to be a quality release when listening to it on its own without certain expectations. "The Postman is Singing" is musically very reminiscent to "Hitler as Kalki".
I love some of the new art style on these more recent album covers, so I always want to listen to them. But I have to be in just the right state of mind for their almost ambient qualities.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

I have to admit that, despite snapping up every test pressing and backsplash tile I can from David, I have spent so little time with the releases I have gotten since "I Am the Last..." that I have difficulty even describing them for purposes of review. And that's not even taking their already muted, monochromatic and amorphous qualities into account.

I think I really want to set aside some time for a deep dive soon.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Who are the collaborators of late in the c93 scene?