Project Feedback Thread

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by SS1535 »

Namahs wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:02 am
SS1535 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:52 pm
Namahs wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:49 am Lately I've been seeing alot of videos where drummers run their set through pedal boards and Im loving the idea.
As soon as we get out rehearsal room runninf again, I'll start researching. Dunno if gonna it more with noise stuff or going to add it into our stoner doom bands sonic mayhem.
I have done this on a limited capacity in a rehearsal studio, and it worked great. One additional thing that I learned, though, was that it you point a large enough speaker at the drum set, contact mic'ing various parts (and running that through pedals) can produce some awesome feedback drones.
I tried contact micing my drums one time and running it through an amp. It was straight up nightmareish haha!
That means things are working! The only thing missing when I did it was some heavy reverb...
James Thompson
C20

Post by James Thompson »

i just downloaded VCV Rack for the first time this evening and i'm already having a blast with it... this isn't a full track or anything, just what i cooked up this evening. still lots more to do to this rack to get it even nastier! i'm having fun!

mouthofinfinity
Contact Mic

Post by mouthofinfinity »

Recently finished dubbing 19 C30s for my first release under the name Pacing Animal. They should be fully assembled by the end of the weekend.
http://pacinganimal.bandcamp.com
James Thompson
C20

Post by James Thompson »

messed around with the setup on a livestream this evening...

trying to combine my practical gear with the DAW build in Reason. think i get some interesting results. i'd like to play live at some point soon, so i need to decide if i want to go strictly for the physical stuff or if i want to invest in a cheap laptop i can use to augment it; if i did the latter, it'd give me a bit more control over how to mix them together, which could be handy. there are a few points in this where the signals are sort of fighting each other, which i like to some extent, but it loses a bit of its clarity.

i try and do some little spoken word interludes later on but it's very garbled, i'm just playing around really to see what comes out. also at around 27.30 i knocked the camera over and started fucking around with it, which is fun.

honestly i'm really enjoying self-feedbacking the fort processor (h/t @cementimental) as an fx send on the contact mic to really muddy up the noises and interject little oscillation patterns amongst the chaos.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Here is something I did a while ago. It was supposed to be released on a comp CD, but that project seems to have been dropped by the guy organizing it. I would very much appreciate any thoughts.

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

This is my first attempt at wall... what do y'all think?

HHP
Sound Art

Post by HHP »

SS1535 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:54 pm Here is something I did a while ago. It was supposed to be released on a comp CD, but that project seems to have been dropped by the guy organizing it. I would very much appreciate any thoughts.

ended up reposting this because I liked it so much. First time putting words to why I enjoy specific noise so it might not be super clear, but I really enjoy the contrast between squeaky layer that feels like a chair being moved around and the clean melodic background layer. honestly the squeaks feel like a songbird for lack of a better word funny enough. Maybe I'm just an impatient listener but I would've had the intensity of the bit around 5:42 to be reached sooner and sustained for a bit longer too. overall this was super cool
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

HHP wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:54 pm
SS1535 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:54 pm Here is something I did a while ago. It was supposed to be released on a comp CD, but that project seems to have been dropped by the guy organizing it. I would very much appreciate any thoughts.

ended up reposting this because I liked it so much. First time putting words to why I enjoy specific noise so it might not be super clear, but I really enjoy the contrast between squeaky layer that feels like a chair being moved around and the clean melodic background layer. honestly the squeaks feel like a songbird for lack of a better word funny enough. Maybe I'm just an impatient listener but I would've had the intensity of the bit around 5:42 to be reached sooner and sustained for a bit longer too. overall this was super cool
Thank you! Glad to hear that some of the interactions with my stuff was real people and not just Soundcloud bots. It was definitely an experiment---made out of two excess tracks that I have had in my archive for some time (the background was a guitar, the squeaks were from a contac mic, some metal, and a distortion pedal). But timing will be the next thing to work on!
HHP
Sound Art

Post by HHP »

Was hoping I could get some thoughts from any of y'all on my double EP that just dropped yesterday:

I'm not sure what side of noise most of my stuff falls under (and I'd love to get thoughts on that too), but it's free-improv guitar-based noise with shades of ambient noise wall, harsh noise, psychedelic rock, drone metal, doom metal, and more. My general process is to record and save stuff to use as layers on each other, or to cut up the best parts of improv sessions and fold it over itself like origami until I feel it's an interesting and fun listen.