Punk/Hardcore

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Re: Punk/Hardcore

Post by Happiness, forever »

It’s still not cheap, I get it.

I just saw on the Rescued From Life bandcamp in their merch a 3x CD bundle of various Japanese classics (boots from MX), $30…. Tranquilizer and State Children 7” amongst those…. Zouo too i think. Anyway, I considered it for a moment but I wld rather get that Sore Throat CD….! and unfortunately I be tapped out for the month on purchasing power so I can’t acquire that, sadface.

https://rflrecords.bandcamp.com/merch/t ... r-comp-cds
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

holy ghost wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:23 pm Oh I'm Canadian. $35 USD plus the shipping would bring the cost up to $70 each!

I picked up the "Portland Edition" of the Kings of Punk LP in a shop today and even that was $55 plus taxes!
Oh SNAP!!! I get it now. I was trying to figure out why $70… ah…. So there is a downside to being Canadian…!
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Happiness, forever wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:27 pmOh SNAP!!! I get it now. I was trying to figure out why $70… ah…. So there is a downside to being Canadian…!
It wasn't always this way but you can essentially double, triple (or even quadruple) the cost of a new LP especially coming from the US. Even DHL shipping has risen dramatically and the shit dollar is not going anywhere. I remember one glorious time when the dollar was at parity and shipping was cheap... I didn't even think about ordering records from the US. Nowadays I don't even bother unless its from Canada or Germany....
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

holy ghost wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:08 pm I remember one glorious time when the dollar was at parity and shipping was cheap...
One great season in 2008 and for the past 15 years things have been getting progressively worse. USPS international rates should be considered criminal, in all honesty.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Scream & Writhe wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:37 pm
holy ghost wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:08 pm I remember one glorious time when the dollar was at parity and shipping was cheap...
One great season in 2008 and for the past 15 years things have been getting progressively worse. USPS international rates should be considered criminal, in all honesty.
I wld agree. It’s a massive scam to take over and privatize the USPS, of course…
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Been enjoying Reagan Youth the past week. The songs are so catchy, they’ve stayed in my brain and I find myself singing or humming their melodies at rando
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

The past weekish:
Crass Feeding
Crass Stations
Flux of Pink Indians Strive To Survive 3xCD

40 years later, the lyrics cld have been written yesterday. Musically still so far ahead of most. Weird, abrasive, catchy as hell.

I ordered me a copy of Flux of Pink Indians The Cunts Treat Us Like Pricks CD (the indexed version). I love this record, s’been a hot minute since I’ve listened to it. Am rdy to thoroughly enjoy it 🤗
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

Happiness, forever wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:39 pm The past weekish:
Crass Feeding
Crass Stations

40 years later, the lyrics cld have been written yesterday. Musically still so far ahead of most. Weird, abrasive, catchy as hell.

I ordered me a copy of Flux of Pink Indians The Cunts Treat Us Like Pricks CD (the indexed version). I love this record, s’been a hot minute since I’ve listened to it. Am rdy to thoroughly enjoy it 🤗
Love all these albums and bands so much. Anarcho-punk in general has been such a steady presence in my life, and probably always will. Such a well of boundless creativity in the original UK scene.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Natalia wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:32 pm
Crass Feeding
Crass Stations

🤗
Love all these albums and bands so much. Anarcho-punk in general has been such a steady presence in my life, and probably always will. Such a well of boundless creativity in the original UK scene.
Yes. Very much so. Agreed.
Currently listening to Alternative “If They Treat You Like Shit… Act Like Manure”. a very underrated rekkid, IDK why it didn’t get as much attention during the time. I had the LP, I nearly wore the beauty out playing it so much. Is rlly good. I needs get the CD reissue.
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

Happiness, forever wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:18 am
Natalia wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:32 pm
Crass Feeding
Crass Stations

🤗
Yes. Very much so. Agreed.
Currently listening to Alternative “If They Treat You Like Shit… Act Like Manure”. a very underrated rekkid, IDK why it didn’t get as much attention during the time. I had the LP, I nearly wore the beauty out playing it so much. Is rlly good. I needs get the CD reissue.
The Scottish Crass, as I've heard them described haha. I love that band and that record. So damn earnest and idealistic. There's such a charm to it for me.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Been slowly making my way through the new oral history of NoMeansNo (From Obscurity to Oblivion) and revisited Sex Mad for the first time in I don't know how long. I was blown away. What a great record.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
moozz
Hard Panning

Post by moozz »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:36 am Been slowly making my way through the new oral history of NoMeansNo (From Obscurity to Oblivion) and revisited Sex Mad for the first time in I don't know how long. I was blown away. What a great record.
Wrong and 0+2=1 are also great records. I still listen to those three "regularly" (so much music that nothing much gets played really regularly).
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

moozz wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:55 am
Scream & Writhe wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:36 am Been slowly making my way through the new oral history of NoMeansNo (From Obscurity to Oblivion) and revisited Sex Mad for the first time in I don't know how long. I was blown away. What a great record.
Wrong and 0+2=1 are also great records. I still listen to those three "regularly" (so much music that nothing much gets played really regularly).
0+2=1 was the first I heard as a kid, and was a long-standing favourite for me. I also like Why Do They Call Me Mr. Happy? but never tried to get into much of the other later stuff without Andy Kerr.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

I saw NoMeansNo live around 20 years ago, they were really good back then.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

I used to be a lighting tech, had a real nice house gig in a mid-large venue 99-04, got to light Nomeansno twice. Super nice guys, super great band, highly entertaining show.
Weird fact i learned from these shows, idk if know or no, is they play golf ⛳️
Sex Mad is the bees knees
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

What are some modern punk bands (from the last five years or so) that people here have been following, or super into?
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Natalia wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:59 pm What are some modern punk bands (from the last five years or so) that people here have been following, or super into?
I am out of touch… No! It is the children who are wrong!

https://www.maximumrocknroll.com/
Maximum Rock And Or Roll is still active on-line. Many of the reviews have bandcamp links so you can hear for yrself. I go through every 6 months or so myself, check out what the kids are up to these days.
They won’t let me in their basement shows anymore. They think I’m a cop cuz I’m too old & don’t pass the vibe check: Hello Fellow Youth Punk Rockers. I will see you in the pit!
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Natalia wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:59 pm What are some modern punk bands (from the last five years or so) that people here have been following, or super into?
Most of my hardcore listening these days goes to reissues and the Swedish/Finnish/Italian hardcore bands, I do a poor job of keeping up with new bands… however….

I find Paranoid (SWE) to be very good and very consistent. They seem incapable of putting out a bad record. I might be minority here on this one, I’m a real completist too, I think I have (almost) everything.

SIAL from Singapore are excellent, I really dig everything I’ve heard.

BARCELONA from… (you guessed it) Barcelona play the most furious Italian style meets raw noise and I absolutely love them. 2 LPs, 2 7”S and I’d buy anything they put out.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

People lump this band in with screamo stuff, and I guess maybe it could be filed there, but my interest in screamo lasted about a month and a half when I was 15 and I always considered this band to be something else. Just a political hardcore punk band with a unique approach to collective songwriting. Not afraid of experimental improvisation, but not anything like a “jam band”. CrimethInc. affiliated, and as such the lyrics maybe lean a bit too much into romantic idealism at times, but musically nothing like other CrimethInc. bands (Catharsis, etc).

Revisiting this disc for the first time in a minute and I realize the closing track—a lengthy improvisation with saxophone and hand drumming—is what would leave my ears open for an appreciation of free jazz many years later.
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

Been on a French Oi kick the past few days. I was trying to nail down what I really like about a lot of French Oi, while not having much of an interest in the rest of the genre. My friend said there's a sort of "anthemic post-punk" kind of quality to it, which I can definitely hear. On top of that, there's a specific melodic quality that's different from a lot of Oi from other countries that I've heard. Additionally for the vocals, I really love how that gruff, skinhead masculinity works with the French language.

Anyways, Condor is such a standout band for me. I saw them perform in Vancouver in 2019, and it was an awesome show. I think the main dude behind this project is the drummer for Rixe, another really good band. I wish Condor did more, I hope the project isn't dead!
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

If I may, I hear the "post punk" description as the fact some bands use a Chorus pedal in their songs. By some bands I mean Syndrome 81 or Litovsk, and maybe two Parisian bands, and this is talking about the French punk bands that got some recognition abroad thanks to chance and hype. The current French capital of chorus or post punk (with an emphasis on "punk", not "post"), is Lille, which also happens to be where most of the good oi bands come from here nowadays. Just check out Traître, you'll see.

There's another oi-affiliated band that fills venues here (besides Syndrome 81 and Litige (who are not oi but great still, their guitarist songs in Deletär, you should all catch them on their upcoming US tour), and Oi Boys), and that's Zone Inifinie from St Etienne. No chorus, but great lyrics, anthems too, killer songwriting (you can hear they love the UK bands from Sunderland and their local ska-infused punk), awesome stuff.

The truth is, we've always had countless punk bands influenced by oi because that's what the French punk scene has always been like. We never developped a real hardcore scene with a local flavour in the 80's like a lot of european countries did.

If you want to hear good "modern" French bands that sound like oi, you can try Maraboots or Bombardiers (not Bombardement, both are local, both are awesome.)

And because I know Spanish punk will always be hype because of Paco LVEUM, you may want to look at the other side of the border from here and check the Chaos In Basque Country compilation online. Tons of kids have been making lots of great oi-influenced bands there since Covid.
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Newly unearthed footage of the Canadian Subhumans.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Out now
FFO: Eyehategod, Today Is The Day, Noothgrush, Goatsblood, Dystopia, Brainbombs

Purchase: https://bentwindowrecords.bigcartel.com ... g-of-death