Now Playing

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
papp diin
Blank Tape

Re: Now Playing

Post by papp diin »

lastof wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:25 pmManiacs Dream - Turku Hold 'Em
Speaking of harsh and longform, that also applies here (45 and 22 minute tracks on one CD). Extremely HIJOKAIDAN esque with traditional instruments and electronics all in a trebly blast. Obnoxious, abrasive, you know how it gets. Very cool CD.
Something about Turku seems to breed noisecore, I don't know why. Someone sold me a V/A comp outside of a show once, I assume to buy beer from the Lidl across the street. (You might be reading this and if you are, you fuckin rock)
papp diin
Blank Tape

Post by papp diin »

Wince - Sekt (Hospital Productions, 2017)

This one has been played a whole bunch lately. I checked it out first purely based on the hilarious track titles, but eventually found that this is in fact an excellent tape. Dense and noisy but at the same time atmospheric and even quite meditative. A consistent rhythm of a distant banging almost lulls you to sleep while some sort of black goo of (almost textureless?) distortion fills the mix.

The man himself is welcome to explain why you'd call one of the tracks "Buttman". The fact that it's on a Hospital Tape is even better.
James Thompson
C20

Post by James Thompson »

Dominic Sambucco - Relative Cosmologies
Another languid, swoopingly atmospheric release from Language Instinct, washing static and musique concrete nature sounds. I've been really loving their releases recently; Glacial Anatomy - Radiology Noise is another highlight. I recommend! From the label:

"Dominic Sambucco is an Italian-Canadian sound artist and composer. He holds degrees in electroacoustic composition from the University of Montréal, and in modern guitar from the Music Academy of Rimini. His aesthetic is inspired by nature and technology, spanning from experimental electronic music to multimedia art projects, with the constant intention of pushing the boundaries of what has already been seen."

i'm also just about to start listening to this, which seems very promising, but haven't gotten into it yet:
Butteche
Blank Tape

Post by Butteche »

Not strictly noise, but very cool synthesizer outsider art from the 70s. This guy did medical electronics for his day job, but his hobby was building and recording his own synths. Seems like he wasn't part of any scene or releasing anything, all of this just dropped for the first time (except for one track) a year after his passing. Very cool minimal electronics.

papp diin
Blank Tape

Post by papp diin »

Consumer Electronics - Surge (2024)

The lads are back and they're better than ever. I must admit, I haven't been much of a fan anything this group has put out since the excellent Estuary English. This however seems like a return to recognisable form, yet completely different than anything Philip Best has been involved with before. Even though Best keeps the vocals pretty cool most of the time, there's still an unexplainable atmosphere in whatever's going on that makes my blood rush. At the same time there's quite a few genuinely dancable moments. (point of reference: The vampire raves in Blade)The opener in particular is just pure joy, and the closer is fucking phenomenal.