Meanwhile, at the high school talent show . . .

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
bobMarinelli
C20

Meanwhile, at the high school talent show . . .

Post by bobMarinelli »

Yes Mrs. Bumgartner, I'm here to perform Bob Dylan's classic "Blowing in the Wind". I hope you enjoy . . .

shrouded.in.antiquity
Hard Panning

Re: Meanwhile, at the high school talent show . . .

Post by shrouded.in.antiquity »

bobMarinelli wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:40 pm Yes Mrs. Bumgartner, I'm here to perform Bob Dylan's classic "Blowing in the Wind". I hope you enjoy . . .

You know, this set actually absolutely fucking slams. A good friend of mine stumbled across this one night we were hanging out, and I still often return to it. I wonder if this person ever pursued a project or anything like that. The set covers a lot of ground considering how minimal the set-up is.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

did he win? why don't these fucking videos ever post a follow up? The kid needs a trophy.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

He didn’t send in any lyrics before hand because there aren’t any lyrics!!
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

https://youtu.be/Z4mr0bTjnlM?si=MwCsRpjLzBoY6QN5
this is no talent show but live harsh noise show at canteen of high school (Hyvinkää, Finland)

Deattán "Paranoia" Live 29.10.2016 (Power Electronics/ Noise)
Live gig in local high school, in front of canteen.
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Unrelated apart from the "school-sanctioned, post-graduation celebration at the park run amok" vibes, but I find it very inspiring, along with those many, many Necromist street collab videos:
The Mysterious Creep
Contact Mic

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

shrouded.in.antiquity wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:47 pm You know, this set actually absolutely fucking slams. A good friend of mine stumbled across this one night we were hanging out, and I still often return to it. I wonder if this person ever pursued a project or anything like that. The set covers a lot of ground considering how minimal the set-up is.
YouTube video has a soundcloud link in the description that's purportedly him - though I can't read Mandarin, so can't confirm myself: https://soundcloud.com/9f5mhgsojtsu
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
https://linktr.ee/TheMysteriousCreep
papp diin
C20

Post by papp diin »

There is of course the early Consumer Electronics tape where Philip performs in front of his unimpressed grade school peers.

You bet your ass I fantisized about something like this in secondary school. I listened to so much god damn TG and Whitehouse, on paper there shouldn't have been a hope in the world for me to get any kind of social footing but somehow I made it. Funnily enough, I went into that same school building again a few years ago and found my brain go right back into that mode - teenager brain exposed to Bird Seed (the album, ftr) on full volume while scowling. That kind of scared me, but it was fascinating to see how much environments matter. That or I just prematurely developed a bunch of holes in my brain.
dapatcho
Blank Tape

Post by dapatcho »

In a similar vein I have been mulling over terrorizing a local open mic one day but have not felt brave enough to do it just yet. Would be fun though, maybe if I know the person running the open mic.
James Thompson
Hard Panning

Post by James Thompson »

dapatcho wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:27 pm In a similar vein I have been mulling over terrorizing a local open mic one day but have not felt brave enough to do it just yet. Would be fun though, maybe if I know the person running the open mic.
very much the same - i've done a measure of looking into open mics in london to see if there's one i could perform at without ruining everyone's night (in a bad way). there are a few 'open aux' events in london which encourage avant garde performance, so now it's a case of getting up the nerve to go perform...
Moran
Blank Tape

Post by Moran »

bobMarinelli wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:40 pm Yes Mrs. Bumgartner, I'm here to perform Bob Dylan's classic "Blowing in the Wind". I hope you enjoy . . .

He sounds good even with the funny circumstances of the video.
dapatcho
Blank Tape

Post by dapatcho »

James Thompson wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:25 am very much the same - i've done a measure of looking into open mics in london to see if there's one i could perform at without ruining everyone's night (in a bad way). there are a few 'open aux' events in london which encourage avant garde performance, so now it's a case of getting up the nerve to go perform...
Those open aux ones that are DJ/electronic oriented *should* be more than fair game. Noise there will be a little left field as opposed to being really displeasing at your songwriter acoustic open mic.