Film Discussion / Now Watching

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
ureaVJ
Blank Tape

Re: Film Discussion / Now Watching

Post by ureaVJ »

Little Murders is a motherfucker of a film.
murmur wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:47 pm RIP Donald Sutherland. Had to rewatch his show-stealing scene in Little Murders (great movie if you haven’t seen it - used for artwork on a Capers tape). Legend.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

June highlights:
Hustler White (LaBruce, 1996)
Home (Smith, 2003)
The New York Ripper (Fulci, 1982)
Masked and Anonymous (Charles, 2003)
Swans: A Long Slow Screw (1986)
Amanda by Night (Graver, 1981)
Rolling Thunder (Flynn, 1977)
Punishment Park (Watkins, 1971)

Marquis de Sade: Justine (Franco, 1969)
A fairly by-the-numbers adaptation of Sade, but with not much in the way of the usual Franco flourishes (and the sadism isn’t hammered home hard enough to count for as much as it should). The passage of time doesn’t seem to exist on screen either, which is usually a positive Franco trope, but here it feels like Justine bounces from one unfortunate event to another over the span of mere days, when in reality she’s meant to have been trapped in this cycle for years (between the ages of 12 and 26, according to the book).

The start of the last quarter sees the arrival of a batshit Jack Palance (full stars) leading a sensual Rosalba Neri and a crazed Howard Vernon (with the best wig he was ever given) through what become the best scenes of the film, but even those are short lived and we’re returned to the general dullness of the rest of the picture soon after. As visually pleasing as it all is, Franco was rarely at his best when playing it straight.

The camerawork does shine through in some moments, like the shot of two women slightly obscured by some sort of twinkling veil that the zoom out reveals to be the dress of the woman they’re hanging. And the sombre, dreamlike scene where Rosalba Neri tells Romina Power’s Justine that time doesn’t matter as they’re forced to stand, wrists chained above their heads, in a dungeon uplit by Bava-esque lighting.

The above positives elevate things, and there’s something about a melancholic Klaus Kinski as the Marquis de Sade himself, but the bulk of the runtime is really only worth it for curiosity’s sake and it would have worked better if it was a wonderful mess. Maybe that’s a void that can be filled by Claude Pierson’s Justine de Sade, starring Alice Arno (up next…).

This is Franco count #58, though I’m sure it’s over 60 by this point due alternate versions and the like.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
papp diin
C20

Post by papp diin »

I've seen that one. Can't think of a better person to play a institutionalised De Sade than Kinski. Other than that I can't really remember anything about it - you'd think you would considering it's a De Sade filmatisation, eh? Reminds me of another film where Kinski stars as Jack the Ripper but it's really bad and seriously not worth your time, if you can believe that.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Some recent viewing

Funeral Parade of Roses (1968, Toshio Matsumoto) Lots of fun if not a bit daft in spots. Plenty of great, horny, dreamy sequences of men and ambiguously gendered people fucking each other. Nice glimpses of a bygone Shinjuku, interesting audio etc. I wonder if this film was an influence on Juntaro at all?

Unfrosted (2024, Jerry Seinfeld) Easily the worst thing I have seen in a great many years. Almost impressive in its naked lack of intentions to be anything other than a huge licensing exercise. It looks as if it took a month in total to write and film yet is so visibly expensive that you genuinely wonder if it's some kind of tax fiddle for someone.

400 Blows (1959, François Truffaut) Enjoyed this plenty but, as kind of a noob to seriously digging into cinema, I struggled to connect with whatever it is that prompts people to describe it as one of the best films ever made. Fun enough to just look at these pretty scenes of cheeky young boys being arseholes in Paris, mind you. Would watch the others.
informalreleases
Blank Tape

Post by informalreleases »

june viewing:

miguel gomes - tabu, 2012

david cronenberg - existenz, 1999

tinto brass - caligula, 1979 (2023 cut)

george miller - furiosa: a mad max saga, 2024

leos carax - c'est pas moi, 2024

leos carax - holy motors, 2012

the two big surprises were caligula and furiosa. furiosa felt completely pessimistic, hopeless, 2.5 hours of a hero driving herself into the ground, in a world that was destroyed but where everyone is just trying to reinvent capitalism. caligula was completely hallucinated and fascinating. the intelligence of the movie is that the relationship between power and insanity is not portrayed at an individual level (i.e., power drives caligula crazy), but at a systemic one: power itself that is crazy, yet it organises a whole society where everyone is happy to vilify themselves just to participate in power relations. very fitting with the current political climate. also it's such a camp movie, the sets, costumes and colors are glorious.
James Thompson
Hard Panning

Post by James Thompson »

informalreleases wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:23 pm caligula was completely hallucinated and fascinating. the intelligence of the movie is that the relationship between power and insanity is not portrayed at an individual level (i.e., power drives caligula crazy), but at a systemic one: power itself that is crazy, yet it organises a whole society where everyone is happy to vilify themselves just to participate in power relations. very fitting with the current political climate. also it's such a camp movie, the sets, costumes and colors are glorious.
yesss, i loved that new cut of caligula. great observation about how power operates in that film. excessive in every sense of the word, practically falling out of the screen, pure filth & fury.