Doom/Sludge/Drone/Stoner/etc

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Doom/Sludge/Drone/Stoner/etc

Post by Namahs »

I'd guess we have people here digging some slow tunes also.

I have couple stoner bands (drums in Fogteeth & bass in Heavy Haze) going on at the moment.

Bought my first album Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath when I was around 10 and still on the same road. The road just has more turns and potholes nowadays haha.

One of my favorite memories including these genres was seeing Conan live for the first time. They played in Turku for like 13 people. They played so loud that I couldn't feel my legs while standing there haha!
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Re: Doom/Sludge/Drone/Stoner/etc

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Been on a big Sabbath kick the past few days. An eternal band.

Asunder is another long-standing favourite and I could get behind some other bands here and there, but otherwise I don't really spend much time with the related genres.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
-NRRRRK-
Hard Panning

Post by -NRRRRK- »

Besides noise/PE doom and more so desert- and stoner-rock (with a little bit of psych) are my favourite genres.
New King Buffalo arrived last week, haven't had the time to play it yet, but I love the band anyway and I am sure it is going to be fantastic.

I play guitar in a desert-rock band myself, called Iron & Stone. We did a couple of EPs and an album. New EP (first in a set of three) is about to be released soon, got the vinyl and covers sitting next to my desk, just got to put them together.

Older stuff can be found here: https://ironandstone.bandcamp.com/
Vivian
C20

Post by Vivian »

definitely : starlight ritual !
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

-NRRRRK- wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:59 am Besides noise/PE doom and more so desert- and stoner-rock (with a little bit of psych) are my favourite genres.
New King Buffalo arrived last week, haven't had the time to play it yet, but I love the band anyway and I am sure it is going to be fantastic.

I play guitar in a desert-rock band myself, called Iron & Stone. We did a couple of EPs and an album. New EP (first in a set of three) is about to be released soon, got the vinyl and covers sitting next to my desk, just got to put them together.

Older stuff can be found here: https://ironandstone.bandcamp.com/
Gotta check that out!

We're going to studio this week with my band Fogteeth to record our first full lenght. Excited and nervous as hell haha!
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:46 pm Asunder is another long-standing favourite and I could get behind some other bands here and there, but otherwise I don't really spend much time with the related genres.
Yo, really good band. Very underrated, you don't really see them mentioned much. A Clarion Call is one of my favourites.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

https://auroradawn.bandcamp.com/

Aurora - Demo
This new band just playing for the first time, good trad. doom
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

https://rutsa.bandcamp.com/album/raadonsy-j-t

RUTSA was and will be one of my favourite sludge bands. Cicutoxin and Pohjamuta are also fucking great.
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

I really love especially Finnish sludgy stuff a lot, although my love has taken me to some of those projects and I felt biased, as I live on the completely other end of the planet now, I can say that Taser and Usko are great bands in their own right!

Taser
I used to play bass for Taser when it began, but as I moved here my brother took over and he's crushing it more than I ever could! Awesome stuff all over.

Usko
A band we used to play a lot with way back, then I ended up making guitar noise with them for a few live shows and some recordings, loved every second of it. Main group is two basses, drums and vocals though.

Pohjamuta
Nice muddy hallucinatory approach I think, especially on this first tape. When I bought it and tried to listen to it in a car at first while driving to shows, I had no fucking clue of what was going on or what side was it playing. Good times!

Fuck-Ushima
This band and these people I love more than most things or people in the world, at certain point I tried to make sure that anywhere we played with Cut To Fit, Fuck-Ushima would be there too because it was just a perfect complimentary fit in many ways.

Slave Hands
Also amazing live band with a huge sound!

Spear Flowers
more noiserock I guess, but there's a lot of droning and that sort of stuff. The first time I saw them live I couldn't think of much else in weeks.

Noizegoat
from Kyoto, this is one of the bast bands I have seen recent years and try to go see them as often as possible, sludge and noise, 5 amplifiers just for guitar, 2 for noise, 2 for bass, the sound is just ridiculously intense. I think it's kinda hard to capture on record, it needs to be experienced live.

Eat
mostly same people as Noizegoat, more beat oriented approach, super intense live experience too.
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

And of course Fleshpress.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Taser crushes and hard!
That is one of those bands that just instantly hooks you. Especially live. One of my favorite livebands.
-NRRRRK-
Hard Panning

Post by -NRRRRK- »

Namahs wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:07 am We're going to studio this week with my band Fogteeth to record our first full lenght. Excited and nervous as hell haha!
try to enjoy the time at the studio. I've been extremely nervous all the time when I've been recording with my bands, but somehow I got to the point to just enjoy the time there and the process of recording with a buch of people and cool equipment.

With Iron & Stone we are in the great position of being able to just record in our rehearsal room. We got all the room and software, that we need and we can borrow all the pre-amps and some great mics from a buddy. This way it is a lot less stressful, we have 100% control of the schedule and it is a lot less expensive too.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

-NRRRRK- wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:43 am
Namahs wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:07 am We're going to studio this week with my band Fogteeth to record our first full lenght. Excited and nervous as hell haha!
try to enjoy the time at the studio. I've been extremely nervous all the time when I've been recording with my bands, but somehow I got to the point to just enjoy the time there and the process of recording with a buch of people and cool equipment.

With Iron & Stone we are in the great position of being able to just record in our rehearsal room. We got all the room and software, that we need and we can borrow all the pre-amps and some great mics from a buddy. This way it is a lot less stressful, we have 100% control of the schedule and it is a lot less expensive too.
I'll try my best and most likely will enjoy it in the end. We recorded our ep at our old rehearsal place with the same guy whose studio we're going.

We borrowed all the mics, mixer, etc from a school we used to go with our bass player. It was the first covid spring so we didnt have anything to do at school and they didnt need the gear just standing there haha!

Currently we have only one room mic hanging from the ceiling into a focusrite/reaper so we can record our rehearsals and jammings. Occasionally I/we take the mic down to record some other stuffs. Our goal is to get proper gear to be able to record at our own place as and when we wish.
-NRRRRK-
Hard Panning

Post by -NRRRRK- »

Namahs wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:39 am Currently we have only one room mic hanging from the ceiling into a focusrite/reaper so we can record our rehearsals and jammings.
That's what we do too, with the only difference that we got us one of those cheap Behringer pencil-mic sets. The mics are placed in an X pattern in a certain spot in the room, so we get a pretty good stereo-pic of what happens in the room. If we were a black metal band we'd be set with that sound, could go straight to cd.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

-NRRRRK- wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:30 am
Namahs wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:39 am Currently we have only one room mic hanging from the ceiling into a focusrite/reaper so we can record our rehearsals and jammings.
That's what we do too, with the only difference that we got us one of those cheap Behringer pencil-mic sets. The mics are placed in an X pattern in a certain spot in the room, so we get a pretty good stereo-pic of what happens in the room. If we were a black metal band we'd be set with that sound, could go straight to cd.
Thats basicly our next step soonish. Our room is basicly drums on one end and guitar/bass rigs on the other end. Warwick bass stack+sunn pa mixer/amp for synth at the moment which are located "in the middle". So might try leaving the other mic where it is and put one mic more near to drums. Or just get a stand and do the x-pattern also.
TYHJP
Contact Mic

Post by TYHJP »

Haven't discovered any new sludge or doom bands for a long time, but been really digging Body Void lately! Really like those slow tempo blast and D-beat parts they have.
TYHJP
Contact Mic

Post by TYHJP »

Oh well, one of my favorite releases last year was from my buddies: Stolen Kidneys - Maailma loppuu. The new singer in the band was the missing part, I didn't know was missing in the first place, hah.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

TYHJP wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:48 am Haven't discovered any new sludge or doom bands for a long time, but been really digging Body Void lately! Really like those slow tempo blast and D-beat parts they have.
Been getting into them lately, too!! Good stuff. Also have become a big fan of Primitive Man.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

It’s probably the metal genre I like best but also the one I’m pickiest about - I have a hard time finding bands that “tick all the boxes” for me.

Reverend Bizarre was (IMO) hands down the greatest doom band of this century. Every record is absolutely perfect. I also worship at the Orne prog rock side project. The first album in particular is like a lost mellow RB LP.

Salem’s Pot scratched that itch for me - shame they broke up. All those records are just a perfect mix of heavy psych and doom.

Desert Rock is the hardest one for me - I love mid period Fu Manchu but their clones and acolytes don’t do much for me.

Totally underrated band is Strange Broue from Quebec a they do the Electric Wizard thing perfectly.

Early Church of Misery is totally my jam. As well Sleep, Bongzilla and Candlemass, Saint Vitus…. I see typing this I meet the stereotype of the guy who just listens to the classics like a crusty old man….
leuksi
Hard Panning

Post by leuksi »

Disrotted is hands down my favourite doom band these days. Crushing drony riffs, guttural vocals and the tempo of a slug on buprenorphine.

And I can't hype Jucifer's There's No Land Beyond Volga enough. The best guitar sound ever.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Frogskin just dropped a new single today "Serpent Path". Slow and heavy as hell.
Charnel Ground
C20

Post by Charnel Ground »

Sludge and Doom are probably my favourite genres outside of Noise. Been into it since a local band (Heavy Lord) invited 14 year old me to their practise space and blew me away with some slow and heavy riffage. It's because of their opening slots at shows that I saw bands like Crowbar, Reverend Bizarre, Eyehategod and Church of Misery for the first time. My own "band" is currently on hold due to some tinnitus related problems but we are planning to pick things up soon again.

Meth Drinker

I just can't list bands without mentioning these guys, filthy sludge from Wellington, New Zealand. They've been a personal favourite since the first time I heard their material.

https://youtu.be/bNntm16m9go

Noothgrush

Again.. filthy sludge. This is the type of sound that appeals the most to me when it comes to sludge. They've been around since 1994, never became as known as Eyehategod but they are definitely up there as far as I'm concerned.

https://youtu.be/due3rCa0crs

Leechfeast

Slovenian Sludge though some members currently reside in the Netherlands. Their style changed over the years but they never lost that heavy sludge element.

https://youtu.be/SVS-2OshS6U

Toner Low

Local veterans and probably the longest running Doom/Stoner band from the Netherlands. The drummer runs the local practise space where most local bands rehearse and he used to set up a lot of sludge, crust, stoner and grindcore shows here in Leiden.

https://youtu.be/-94AQ5kmlTU
Charnel Ground
https://charnelground.bigcartel.com

Geseling
Misère
Kenny
Hard Panning

Post by Kenny »

Listened to a couple of early Floor eps the other day.
Can`t stand that melodic shit they went on to do, and I do love a good melody..

But those early eps were fantastic, especially the "Madonna" 7"
leuksi
Hard Panning

Post by leuksi »

Are there any legit drone doom bands other than Earth, Sunn O))) and early Boris? Hell, do I even need anything else? Looking for that low tuned, drumless, monolithic shit. I remember Goat Tunnel being good, might need to do a revisit.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

This album just showed up on my doorstep. Huge fan of this sort of sludge/stoner/noiserock side. Like a filthier Fight Amp.