Underrated and under hyped projects

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Remi
Thrashmaster

Re: Underrated and under hyped projects

Post by Remi »

I think where Umpio really shines, and what sets him apart in addition to being an amazing creative mind, is his sound engineering skills. His recordings are incredible.

And while we're at it, I hear there's some new Kartio material in the works.
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:27 pm Umpio
…CD coming later this year on Absurd Exposition.
Excellent news!
And yes, Kulotus is quite a monster, and one of last years very best for me as well. To pull off a double album with strictly modular and no input noise, make it work from start to finish…

I’ve been eyeing that Kartio thing on Satatuhatta. My pile of unlistened/”not done with” stuff is towering frighteningly high now, but I think I might need it.
Kenny
Thrashmaster

Post by Kenny »

Krube definitely.
Was so impressed with his set when I got a chance to play with him in Berlin, hadn`t heard of him before, but then went on to pick up most of his releases, haven`t heard a bad one. I especially love the one on Total Black https://totalblack.bandcamp.com/album/untitled-2

Also on Total Black, I love this Nervenklinik tape https://totalblack.bandcamp.com/album/untitled-3. But have never heard much mention of it anywhere.
skeletondust
Hard Panning

Post by skeletondust »

murmur wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:29 am I’m a huge fan of the Still Image tape that came out on Monorail Trespassing, Without. Only one other release ever came out of that project to my knowledge, which I haven’t heard, but Without is one I keep going back to. Very patient and intense at times, but hard to put a finger on.
Great call on pointing out Still Image. I feel like this project was a representation of Shane at the peak of his abilities before stepping back from noise/experimental. If you are able to grab the tape on Throne Heap, I’d highly recommend doing so, that material is even stronger than the Monorail tape in my opinion.
skeletondust
Hard Panning

Post by skeletondust »

Capers wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:34 pm
skeletondust wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:49 pm I picked up a recent Burntable tape,
Amazing stuff! And there’s another Burntable tape? Who released it? Where do I get it?
Erik- I fucked up. Don’t know why I said “recent” as that is definitely the only Burntable tape to my knowledge, sadly!
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Jere Kilpinen has done tons of cools stuff.
His main band at the moment is Junkyard Shaman which isn't that much of noise but experimental.

His other work as Electric Hobo is basicly the way I got into noise. Few grind/noise albums in the beginning but the he started drifting mlre into harah noise etc.

Now he is also in a Japanese metal junk percussive band Weiches Loch. Few guys banging on different metal objects. Setting stuff on fire and what not.

List of his bands: Junkyard Shaman, Cut To Fit, Käki, Electric Hobo, Weiches Loch, Body Accident, Matatadrone, J.Kill & Mr.Mule, Norman Bates Blues Band, Taser, Musta Risti, Usko.
Last edited by Namahs on Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
leuksi
Hard Panning

Post by leuksi »

I always thought Umpio was pretty well known globally, since he's one of the "OG's" of Finnish noise haha. Haven't heard a bad release from him or the bands he plays in, pretty sure there are no such things.

Tyhjä Pää needs more appreciation.
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

leuksi wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:42 amTyhjä Pää needs more appreciation.
Yes! https://tyhjapaa.bandcamp.com/album/bet ... stlessness
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
[MBD]
C20

Post by [MBD] »

Neckhold! Do yourself a favor and watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNheEmRHCPY

Agreed with Erik on MNEM being severely underappreciated, I've managed to scrounge up almost their entire discography and not a single release disappoints.
Material Body Dysfunction & Flickering Coward. Cincinnati OH USA.

https://linktr.ee/materialbodydysfunction
Crimesofthecrown777
Contact Mic

Post by Crimesofthecrown777 »

[MBD] wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:56 am Neckhold! Do yourself a favor and watch this.

Agreed with Erik on MNEM being severely underappreciated, I've managed to scrounge up almost their entire discography and not a single release disappoints.
Still wish I could have seen them in Chicago when they came through.
[MBD]
C20

Post by [MBD] »

Crimesofthecrown777 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:00 am Still wish I could have seen them in Chicago when they came through.
I wish I could've seen them live too. I've heard that they were sitting on a lot of recordings when they decided to call it quits. A shame those most likely won't surface.
Material Body Dysfunction & Flickering Coward. Cincinnati OH USA.

https://linktr.ee/materialbodydysfunction
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

Namahs wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:05 am Jere Kilpinen has done tons of cools stuff.....
If I would have seen this message I wouldn't have written anything in the introduction topic, you remember my stuff better than I do, it seems.. :D
Thanks, appreciated and honored as always!
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

junkyardshaman wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:34 pm
Namahs wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:05 am Jere Kilpinen has done tons of cools stuff.....
If I would have seen this message I wouldn't have written anything in the introduction topic, you remember my stuff better than I do, it seems.. :D
Thanks, appreciated and honored as always!
Haha made it after your introduction I think :D
turbonasty
Blank Tape

Post by turbonasty »

[MBD] wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:56 am Neckhold! Do yourself a favor and watch this.

The brothers! fortunate that they came through mpls twice.
chryptusrecords
Hard Panning

Post by chryptusrecords »

so Hijokaidan is certainly not "underrated," but you don't hear alot (at least stateside) about their weird collaborations. so having just stumbled across this one recently i thought i'd pull it out for special mention. from the video description (emphasis mine):

"AvaKaidan is a collaboration between one of the longest-running Noise groups in Japan, Hijokaidan, and Avadoned, a girl group of rejected idols."

the world of japanese pop idols is notoriously hyper-capitalist and strict. even though avandoned make pop music, this is as much of a 'deconstruction' of music-forms as the noise of hijokaidan is. hence the collaboration. this show seems like both a lot of fun and and a great display of self-assurance and forward-thinking from the artists.
MaldororEstMort
C20

Post by MaldororEstMort »

chryptusrecords wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:10 am so Hijokaidan is certainly not "underrated," but you don't hear alot (at least stateside) about their weird collaborations. so having just stumbled across this one recently i thought i'd pull it out for special mention. from the video description (emphasis mine):

"AvaKaidan is a collaboration between one of the longest-running Noise groups in Japan, Hijokaidan, and Avadoned, a girl group of rejected idols."

the world of japanese pop idols is notoriously hyper-capitalist and strict. even though avandoned make pop music, this is as much of a 'deconstruction' of music-forms as the noise of hijokaidan is. hence the collaboration. this show seems like both a lot of fun and and a great display of self-assurance and forward-thinking from the artists.
holy shit! this is fucking rad!
leuksi
Hard Panning

Post by leuksi »

Hijokaidans collabs with pop bands rule. BiSkaidan is my favourite, the homage to Hanatarash on this vid is hilarious

noisehangover
Contact Mic

Post by noisehangover »

Loss of Dan Fox. This is one of the most underrated projects in my opinion. Emotional and beautiful.
chryptusrecords
Hard Panning

leuksi wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:22 am Hijokaidans collabs with pop bands rule. BiSkaidan is my favourite, the homage to Hanatarash on this vid is hilarious
fuck yeah this rules, like an inverted mirror world version of melt banana, the little clunks when jojo hits his guitar are fucking ridiculous
raato
Hard Panning

Post by raato »

MaldororEstMort wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:22 pm
chryptusrecords wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:10 am so Hijokaidan is certainly not "underrated," but you don't hear alot (at least stateside) about their weird collaborations. so having just stumbled across this one recently i thought i'd pull it out for special mention. from the video description (emphasis mine):

holy shit! this is fucking rad!
agreed! very interesting on a lot of levels!
no gods no masters no gender no music
what's the point records kadotus records art
MuhSteve
Hard Panning

Post by MuhSteve »

I have just received the new tape release from Helsinki based 'group' Grey Park. "What Transparency Clouds" is a self released C20 and is (probably) amongst one of their finest pieces of work. Grey Park have been active since the late 1990's putting out small edition cassette runs and CDRs, sometimes a label has taken notice and put out an independent release but it has mainly been self released. They really fit the category of 'Underrated and Under Hyped'. Their website hasn't been updated for quite a while, but they do have a Bandcamp page where contact can be made. One of the members runs the Hyster Tapes label. Well worth discovering.
chryptusrecords
Hard Panning

MuhSteve wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:39 am Grey Park.
really good recommendation thanks. listening to "corruption & thyme" on their bandcamp right now, the name and approach fits the sound very well. we've had a string of grey days with single-digit temperatures here in minnesota, that certainly helps amplify the mood. reminds me of a lo-fidelity version of Alio Die
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

I dunno if underrated/hyped is the right term for it because I believe the project likes to stay low key

BUT

I saw a Spring of Life cassette pop up in the Now Playing thread. The two releases I’ve heard from this project are among the best stuff I’ve encountered in recent years. As close to perfection as I’ve heard vis a vis wrong-sounding tape music. Instantly enamouring but you still gotta work for it. Any love?
thevomitarsonist
Contact Mic

Post by thevomitarsonist »

Hardly an unknown project, but I feel like not enough people talk about Naxal Protocol. Super heavy industrial/noise originally from Italy, although I believe he recently relocated to Singapore. Released material as Cazzodio in the late 90's/early 00's. As far as I know his work is mostly (all?) modular synth based.

https://naxalprotocol.bandcamp.com/
thevomitarsonist.bandcamp.com
danversstate.storenvy.com
NewApproach
Blank Tape

Post by NewApproach »

Naxal Protocol is amazing!