Shows that you missed

No mosh but the noise mosh.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Shows that you missed

Post by Namahs »

This has been the theme for most shows in recent years. What shows you have missed (also pre-covid) that still annoy?

Sadly I havent been to too many noise shows overall but one that comes to mind is Puce Mary & Pain Nail show in my hometown 2015.
They played at a small pub with capacity like 30 people.
chryptusrecords
Hard Panning

Re: Shows that you missed

Post by chryptusrecords »

Genocide Organ in chicago. i am not sentimental but it's wild to me how that went down. people in the noise scene will blacklist someone as a "rip off" when it takes a month to get a tape, yet the guy who promoted and took all the money for this show just disappeared, gave out no refunds or info, and everyone is cool with that? it's wack as fuck. just coz you attach yourself to some hype projects means you get a pass i guess. people are more than willing to talk shit about jeffrey jinx to me in private conversations. once again it is the hypocrisy of the scene that really pisses me off the most.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

That Rita/Rusalka show I mentioned in the noise videos thread. Probably the last Victoria noisefest, and I’ve stupidly missed every Noisefest in Vancouver. The 2019 edition I was for sure in Italy at the time so I had somewhat of an excuse.

Merzbow, eternally kicking myself for missing that…
Kenny
Hard Panning

Post by Kenny »

had to pull the plug on this one 2 years back
MaldororEstMort
C20

Post by MaldororEstMort »

Kenny wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:42 pm had to pull the plug on this one 2 years back
holy shit! that was a stacked line-up!
JuntaCadre
Hard Panning

Post by JuntaCadre »

Yeah, really hope that gets put back together at some point when it’s possible. Staggering lineup for sure.
What Abraham found easiest, I would have found hard, namely to be joyful again with Isaac

Herukrat, Junta Cadre, Commuter.

https://juntacadre.bandcamp.com/
https://newforces.bandcamp.com/album/no-longer-penitent
Ineffable Slime
Hard Panning

Post by Ineffable Slime »

The most depressing thread on this forum lol

I had tickets for Current 93 and Genocide Organ in April of '19. We all know how that went....glad I'll be able to see Current 93 this Halloween tho!

I once bailed on a Nautical Almanac show years ago cuz I got a flat on the way to the venue, that bummed me out and my friend who booked them was on my ass about it.

Pouring one out for the past few summer scums too, looking forward to the return eventually
leuksi
Hard Panning

Post by leuksi »

There's too many. Merzbow with Umpio as support first and foremost.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Psychic TV played here in Vancouver, but I don't think I was living here at the time. Missed that huge...forgot about that one...
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

leuksi wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:00 pm There's too many. Merzbow with Umpio as support first and foremost.
I was planning to go here with the idea "ok lets go for a noise show and see whats up" but never made it
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Ineffable Slime wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:46 pm Current 93
Glad this has been rescheduled (again). Hopefully circumstances allow it to actually happen this time. Looking forward to the art show as well.
leuksi wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:00 pm Merzbow with Umpio as support first and foremost.
Wow. Huge gig.

I skipped Merzbow when he last came to Vancouver (circa 2014). Do I have a good reason? Nope. By all accounts the show was unreal.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
consumer
C20

Post by consumer »

I suppose any of the USA Throbbing Gristle shows in 2009. I just assumed they'd have to come to Canada eventually. :(
pisspup
Blank Tape

Post by pisspup »

Not a noise show, but Fugazi played a local rec. centre in 1998 and I had to work that night and for some reason I didn't just call in sick or whatever, and, to this day, I feel like a gigantic horse's ass every time I think about it.

ETA: Oh yeah, just remembered Merzbow played a city two hours away in 2011 and I just didn't wanna make the drive.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

pisspup wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:10 am Not a noise show, but Fugazi played a local rec. centre in 1998 and I had to work that night and for some reason I didn't just call in sick or whatever, and, to this day, I feel like a gigantic horse's ass every time I think about it.

ETA: Oh yeah, just remembered Merzbow played a city two hours away in 2011 and I just didn't wanna make the drive.
Missed so many shows for the reason "dont feel like driving". Most of the shows here are at least an hour away which isnt that bad but I do a lot of driving with bands for work and driving alone is so freaking boring nowadays haha

Back in the days I used to drive alone for shows even 3-4 hours away and back home. I was young, had the time and energy.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

pisspup wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:10 am Not a noise show, but Fugazi played a local rec. centre in 1998 and I had to work that night and for some reason I didn't just call in sick or whatever, and, to this day, I feel like a gigantic horse's ass every time I think about it.
I went to see Fugazi in 2001 and had no idea their relevance at all, just that they weren't a band from my hometown. I had to leave early because I was in high school and I had to get a ride home from my friends parents. I think they were halfway through and had played "Waiting Room" then we had to leave.
W.K.
C20

Post by W.K. »

Last Machinefest, could go at the end of my holiday but decided not to because wanted a few rest days before work. Can't fix the stupid as they say.

holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Pandemic cancellations:
Wire
Einsturzende Neubauten
(a bunch of local shows I forget)

Cancelled due to other reasons:
Goblin
Killing Joke

Missed because I am a dummy:
Blood Incantation/Spectral Voice (was just wiped from work but caught BI a few years before)
Church of Misery
Elder (my band was playing a show the same night)
Iron Maiden last tour (seen them tons van of times, figured I’d catch them the next year)
Paranoid (I was getting back into the country the same day and didn’t feel up to it after 12 hours on a plane)

I sort of just dropped out of going to shows between 2003 - 2010 due to school, getting married etc and I bet there’s a ton more I missed during that time.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

holy ghost wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:13 pm
Iron Maiden last tour (seen them tons van of times, figured I’d catch them the next year)
I regret skipping this one, too. The same year Philip Glass was also here doing the complete Koyaanisqatsi score and I didn’t go for whatever reason.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:41 pm
holy ghost wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:13 pm
I regret skipping this one, too.
This way of thinking is a reason for me also missing some shows. I've seen Motörhead multiple times but for some reason I started thinking at somepoint "Eh i've seen them few times. They'll be around still" etc.

Still glad I went to their show in dec 2015. It was just few weeks later that Lemmy passed.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

I almost passed on Heaven & Hell, Priest and Motorhead the year before Dio died. I’m so glad a friend basically pressured me into going because that was fucking epic shit.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

holy ghost wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:29 am I almost passed on Heaven & Hell, Priest and Motorhead the year before Dio died. I’m so glad a friend basically pressured me into going because that was fucking epic shit.
Not the biggest fan of "Dio Sabbath" (I do like it though. I just prefer the originals.) but damn what a lineup! Good that you went!
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

I was a year or two shy of catching some really amazing stuff as it happened in the U.K.

I was already enjoying noise around 2005-6 but wasn't really aware of an active U.K. underground where gigs and tours happened until 2007. Wound up missing the boat on all kinds of international artists coming to these shores during that time - Emil Beaulieau, Schimpfluch, Merzbow, Prurient, Jessica Rylan...the list surely goes on. It often haunts me.

Beyond this I can also name a shitload of great gigs I DID go to but can't remember anything about for one reason or another. Browsing a friend's archive of old gig posters recently I was staggered by how many of these amazing shows I know I'd attended in London - the type of which I would travel across the country to see even now - but couldn't recall details of. Booze, drugs, poor attention span and youth simply flying past in an instant. Feels like a bit of a waste really.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

adult human wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:01 am I was a year or two shy of catching some really amazing stuff as it happened in the U.K.

I was already enjoying noise around 2005-6 but wasn't really aware of an active U.K. underground where gigs and tours happened until 2007. Wound up missing the boat on all kinds of international artists coming to these shores during that time - Emil Beaulieau, Schimpfluch, Merzbow, Prurient, Jessica Rylan...the list surely goes on. It often haunts me.

Beyond this I can also name a shitload of great gigs I DID go to but can't remember anything about for one reason or another. Browsing a friend's archive of old gig posters recently I was staggered by how many of these amazing shows I know I'd attended in London - the type of which I would travel across the country to see even now - but couldn't recall details of. Booze, drugs, poor attention span and youth simply flying past in an instant. Feels like a bit of a waste really.
Few of my friends are still superpissed for "missing" shows for being too drunk. I've missed my share also but I stopped getting hammered for shows specificly for this reason.
I rather watch the show and remember it than being hungover ans not remembering shit.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Namahs wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:10 am
adult human wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:01 am I was a year or two shy of catching some really amazing stuff as it happened in the U.K.

Few of my friends are still superpissed for "missing" shows for being too drunk. I've missed my share also but I stopped getting hammered for shows specificly for this reason.
I rather watch the show and remember it than being hungover ans not remembering shit.
Yeah, it's a drag really. Adult me really wishes I can remember a bit more about these things. That said, whatever drunken, social things happened in lieu of remembering sets were pretty important too: young, nervous noise nerd finding his people and so on. It wasn't for nothing and meant a lot to me back at the time.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

adult human wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:18 am
Namahs wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:10 am

Yeah, it's a drag really. Adult me really wishes I can remember a bit more about these things. That said, whatever drunken, social things happened in lieu of remembering sets were pretty important too: young, nervous noise nerd finding his people and so on. It wasn't for nothing and meant a lot to me back at the time.
Definitely! Those are kind of "cant remember shit but I'll never forget it"-things