Video games/Interactive art?

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
DeathOrgone
Contact Mic

Video games/Interactive art?

Post by DeathOrgone »

What are you playing/looking forward to?

My personal initial contact to dissonant form of sonic violence was through Akira Yamaoka's soundtrack of the first Silent Hill. This opened the door to discovering Merzbow, Masonna, etc. Constantly looking for new titles to relive that experience and there's a lot of extreme stuff going on in the altgames community.

On a sidenote, due to the pandemic I self-taught myself how to make interactive experiences where I try to mix industrial and noise aesthetics with game mechanics and 3D space conception (all free: https://deathorgone.itch.io/).
totalblack
Hard Panning

Re: Video games/Interactive art?

Post by totalblack »

I got really heavily back into gaming unfortunately due to the Pandemic. I’ve been replaying the entire Soulsborne catalog for the last year or so ad nauseum in anticipation for Elden Ring next month, as well as spending a lot of time on DayZ with a group of friends. It’s a really extreme and unique gameplay experience, hyperrealistic military simulator \ survival game set in a fictionalized eastern European state after society had collapsed, with zombies thrown in for good measure.

Another really interesting game I played in the last year or so was Disco Elysium, quite a unique RPG although after completing it I didn’t find any real value in replays, despite how it’s marketed its a fairly linear playthrough.

I also bought my wife a SNES classic recently so we have been throwing down on Contra 3 and Donkey Kong Country on occasion. She wanted it to give Earthbound another go.
DeathOrgone
Contact Mic

Post by DeathOrgone »

totalblack wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:40 am I got really heavily back into gaming unfortunately due to the Pandemic. I’ve been replaying the entire Soulsborne catalog for the last year or so ad nauseum in anticipation for Elden Ring next month, as well as spending a lot of time on DayZ with a group of friends. It’s a really extreme and unique gameplay experience, hyperrealistic military simulator \ survival game set in a fictionalized eastern European state after society had collapsed, with zombies thrown in for good measure.

Another really interesting game I played in the last year or so was Disco Elysium, quite a unique RPG although after completing it I didn’t find any real value in replays, despite how it’s marketed its a fairly linear playthrough.

I also bought my wife a SNES classic recently so we have been throwing down on Contra 3 and Donkey Kong Country on occasion. She wanted it to give Earthbound another go.
DayZ, haven't heard this in a while. I remember back in 2014 there were constant articles about how it was a digital Guantanamo Bay where mobs tortured and emprisonned other players.

I wanted to revisit Disco Elysium since the director's cut has voiceover... And maybe try to solve the Church black hole mystery. There's a lot of sidequests my initial personality choices couldn't handle.
Concerning Earthbound, first game I played when the pandemic started was the sequel, Mother 3. It totally blew me away.
Those small consoles are easily modifiable to add other games on them, even other systems. In a few hours you can transform a PS Classic or SNES Classic with Autobleem and Retroarch to make it a retrogaming powerhouse.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Right now playing Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night and loving it. I am a huge Castlevania: SOTN fan, so this is like a ridiculously elaborate tribute to it. I think I’m about halfway through, because the difficulty just spiked.

The only other game which I will for sure play this year is Elden Ring, as I’m a die hard Souls fan. Looking forward to disappearing from public for a month or two with that one.
leuksi
Hard Panning

Post by leuksi »

The only game I've been playing recently is Project Zomboid. Super fun but challenging zombie survival with endless amount of mods that make it even better.
Ineffable Slime
Hard Panning

Post by Ineffable Slime »

I've been hitting the bullet hell shmups a lot lately after learning about some ports for the Switch. Currently going hard on DoDonPachi Resurrection and actually getting decent at it. I always felt this stuff is the gaming equivalent of harsh noise, I mean look at this shit:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHqN_fH2S7k[/yt]

also love the hardstep/gabber tracks in these games.

Otherwise, I got Elden Ring preordered. I will probably pick up Gran Turismo too.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Ineffable Slime wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:01 pm I've been hitting the bullet hell shmups a lot lately after learning about some ports for the Switch. Currently going hard on DoDonPachi Resurrection and actually getting decent at it. I always felt this stuff is the gaming equivalent of harsh noise, I mean look at this shit:

Otherwise, I got Elden Ring preordered. I will probably pick up Gran Turismo too.
Just happened to skim the thread and was curious as to why the YouTube link in your post didn't embed. It seems like "youtu.be" rather than "youtube.com" is required for this function to work.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
DeathOrgone
Contact Mic

Post by DeathOrgone »

Ineffable Slime wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:01 pm I've been hitting the bullet hell shmups a lot lately after learning about some ports for the Switch. Currently going hard on DoDonPachi Resurrection and actually getting decent at it. I always felt this stuff is the gaming equivalent of harsh noise, I mean look at this shit:

Talking about shmups, I fell in the Yakouga series black hole a while back. Ultra-hard shmups mixed with over the top bodyhorror. There's a whole doujin subgenre with Hellbound, Galshell and Death Ephemera.

GENITAL STIGMATA
Blank Tape

Post by GENITAL STIGMATA »

NAME SOMETHING AND I’VE PROBABLY BEEN PLAYING IT THROUGH THE PANDEMIC. ALREADY A HUGE SHUT-IN ANYWAY MOST OF THE TIME SO IT’S ALWAYS MUSIC AND GAMES AD NAUSEAM. HIT NG+ ON BLOODBORNE RECENTLY AFTER JUGGLING BETWEEN DS3/BB/SEKIRO (REALLY STUPID IDEA, YOU JUST GET THE CONTROLS MIXED UP AND FUMBLE FOR THE FIRST COUPLE HOURS, FORGETTING ROUTES/ENEMY PLACEMENT, WHERE YOU EVEN LAST WERE, ETC)

I WAS FUCKING AROUND ON TWITTER ONE DAY AND GOT AN AD FOR THE ELDEN RING NET TEST AND I HAVE A LONG HISTORY WITH GETTING LUCKY WITH BETA KEYS SO I SHOT MY SHOT SINCE THE AD WAS LESS THAN 24 HOURS OLD AND I SAW NOBODY TALKING ABOUT IT. A LITTLE OVER A MONTH LATER I WAS CHECKING MY EMAIL AND THERE IT WAS. AFTER DUMPING TIME INTO EVERY PLAY SLOT THEY MADE AVAILABLE I CAN CONFIDENTLY SAY IT’S GONNA BE THE BEST SOULS GAME AND DOESN’T FEEL UNFAMILIAR TO THE OTHERS BUT AT THE SAME TIME FEELS LIKE A COMPLETELY NEW EXPERIENCE. I’M NOT A GEORGE R.R. MARTIN GUY AT ALL AND WAS WORRIED IF IT WOULD AFFECT HOW THE WORLD FEELS AND LUCKILY, TO ME AT LEAST, IT FEELS LIKE HIS INFLUENCE IS NOT ANYWHERE OBVIOUS. PEOPLE AREN’T READY FOR THIS INCOMING LEVEL OF ADDICTION. IT REALLY IS THAT GOOD

EMULATORS. LOTS OF EMULATORS

I RECENTLY BOUGHT THAT GAME WROUGHT FLESH ON STEAM AND IT’S A REALLY COOL TAKE ON THE UNDER-TREADED BIOPUNK GENRE, RIPPING ORGANS FROM ENEMIES TO SLOT INTO YOUR OWN CHEST FOR ADDED SPEED/HEALTH REGEN/MAX HEALTH ETC. WORTH CHECKING OUT. LOOKS A LOT LIKE CRUELTY SQUAD AND BOTH THAT AND WROUGHT FLESH WERE MADE IN THE GODOT ENGINE AND ALSO MADE BY ONE PERSON EACH, SO PRETTY INSPIRING IN THAT REGARD

DAYZ IS ALSO GREAT, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED IF YOU CAN TOLERATE SOME JANK
TOTAL SPECTRAL PULVERIZATION
http://genitalstigmata.bandcamp.com
Zalhietzli
Hard Panning

Post by Zalhietzli »

DeathOrgone wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:38 am On a sidenote, due to the pandemic I self-taught myself how to make interactive experiences where I try to mix industrial and noise aesthetics with game mechanics and 3D space conception (all free: https://deathorgone.itch.io/).
That looks really interesting ! Will take a look.

I used to be really into bullet hells 10 years ago (thanks to emulation), stuff like Dodonpachi, Giga Wing, Guwange... I was really into grindcore at the time and I think that was really fitting music for gaming. Before that, in my teens I grinded so much hours into the Metal Slug series. More recently I got into roguelikes/roguelites : Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne, Slay the Spire ...
Pretty masochistic stuff all around, but also great games to just zone out to when you're decent at it and listen music to.

I also played Doom Eternal, great power trip and excellent system.
killhippies
Contact Mic

Post by killhippies »

I just always fall back on Skyrim and it’s impossible to put it down. I just downloaded ESIV Oblivion, so I’ll probably start playing that some more now since I haven’t since high school. I’m definitely not as into video games as I used to be, but I really love metroidvania types
thevomitarsonist
Contact Mic

Post by thevomitarsonist »

Spent the past two+ years running through Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3. I absolutely cannot wait for Elden Ring.
Currently playing Diablo II: Resurrected on PS4, although I just ordered a copy of Zelda: Breath of the Wild which I imagine will occupy more of my time.
thevomitarsonist.bandcamp.com
danversstate.storenvy.com
DeathOrgone
Contact Mic

Post by DeathOrgone »

I recently finished The Medium, Bloober Team hommage to old-school survival horror (well known for their Layers of Fear series). Akira Yamaoka participation on the soundtrack was my main pull.
The game is as visually stunning as the soundtrack is pure audio orgasm for those who enjoyed SH music - very close to Silent Hill 2 synth eerieness with undulating waves of creeping low frequencies.
Gameplay-wise, it's a survival horror only in appearance and follow the current trends of breadcrumb progression, forfeiting any exploration in favour of puzzles, archives and some clumsy stealth section.
Not bad, not great, but quite pretty.

DeathOrgone
Contact Mic

Post by DeathOrgone »

For all you Bloodborne fanatics out there... A PSX demake (Bloodborne in PS1 aesthetic)

https://b0tster.itch.io/bbpsx
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

https://gamejolt.com/games/pleasestopkillingme/326855

This is a game I and 3 other people did as a school project, it started of as a joke but as my jokes usually do, ended up with some absurd existential dread. Basically it's and endless loop of meaningless tasks that just repeats ad infinitum. This build should work on Windows and Mac, also wanted to make a mass hit phone app version of it, but of course soon after the grades were given, everybody lost interest.
Touch Starved
C20

Post by Touch Starved »

Positively surprised with the amount of Souls-appreciation here! DS1 is def one of my all time favorite games, sharing a spot with Silent Hill 2, the atmosphere and ambience of SH2 is some of the best I’ve ever experienced in a video game. Soundtrack is unbelievable too, Akira Yamaoka is a genius.
thevomitarsonist
Contact Mic

Post by thevomitarsonist »

DeathOrgone wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:18 pm For all you Bloodborne fanatics out there... A PSX demake (Bloodborne in PS1 aesthetic)

https://b0tster.itch.io/bbpsx
this is insanely well done!
thevomitarsonist.bandcamp.com
danversstate.storenvy.com
chuzz
Sound Art

Post by chuzz »

Cruelty Squad was my favorite game of 2021... very anti-game while still being fun and the freshest thing i've played in forever
I beat the Resident Evil 2 & 3 remakes early this year for the first time and loved them. I hope Re4 Remake is coming this year since playing that one is a little tough due to age
Another first time play was Undertale... not really my favorite due to it's fandom but still a good project. Interesting story and great OST for sure.
God of War 2018 was another first time playthrough this year and it was really really great on PC. Really looking forward to the sequel hopefully this year.

I've been playing Path of Exile and Lost Ark for now until Elden Ring comes out
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Lame gamer here but GTA San Andreas is a game that I come back always.
hq666
Contact Mic

Post by hq666 »

Been playing The Binding Of Isaac for years and I'm still not very good at it. It's tough as hell and the variations of each game play make it quite addictive. A Souls like Zelda experience laced with biblical lore, occult imagery, obscene gore and dark humor.

Spent a bit of time playing The Forest this past fall. After beating it twice I decided to use some mods and cheats and got pretty carried away with it - with only a team of 4 creating the game, they really did create an immersive experience. It's a beautiful and equally sinister world located on a heavily forested island with an open and interpretative storyline. The enemies don't have the suicide mentality and instead stalk and observe/contemplate you before attacking your attempts to survive and build a defensive shelter while also sorting out whatever it is that's going on. As you explore the island you'll eventually discover an intricate and claustrophobic subterranean cave system with it's own ecosystem and customs. It's menacingly grim and I loved every second of it.

Golden Light, while still in development, is a fantastic fever dream of a game. Everything in the game biomes, including the biomes themselves, are against you. The 'world' gets upset with you and the difficulty increases the more you hurt it's inhabitants/defend yourself. I guess it could be classified as a rogue survival horror, though it's much more than that. And quite difficult.
IG: goatqveen666
chuzz
Sound Art

Post by chuzz »

hq666 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:41 pm Golden Light, while still in development, is a fantastic fever dream of a game. Everything in the game biomes, including the biomes themselves, are against you. The 'world' gets upset with you and the difficulty increases the more you hurt it's inhabitants/defend yourself. I guess it could be classified as a rogue survival horror, though it's much more than that. And quite difficult.
This looks awesome, wishlisted
chuzz
Sound Art

Post by chuzz »

How Fish Is Made is an ultra short more interactive art than game. You play as a sardine in a... processing plant? You're offered two choices- are you going to go Up or Down? Pretty humorous and clearly had some effort put into it by the devs. It's free and short, fun to stream for buds in discord.
DeathOrgone
Contact Mic

Post by DeathOrgone »

junkyardshaman wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:08 pm https://gamejolt.com/games/pleasestopkillingme/326855

This is a game I and 3 other people did as a school project, it started of as a joke but as my jokes usually do, ended up with some absurd existential dread. Basically it's and endless loop of meaningless tasks that just repeats ad infinitum. This build should work on Windows and Mac, also wanted to make a mass hit phone app version of it, but of course soon after the grades were given, everybody lost interest.
I monthyl share reviews of indie games I enjoyed on my website and wrote a little thing about your game. Thoroughly enjoyed it!
http://frederickmaheux.com/indie-games- ... 2-08-2022/
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

DeathOrgone wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:09 pm
junkyardshaman wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:08 pm https://gamejolt.com/games/pleasestopkillingme/326855

I monthyl share reviews of indie games I enjoyed on my website and wrote a little thing about your game. Thoroughly enjoyed it!
http://frederickmaheux.com/indie-games- ... 2-08-2022/
wow, thanks. I think it is fun little joke as a small closed circuit-sort of work of art, but I hate the fact that I don't know what to do about it and now it just lies dead online.
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

one game I thoroughly enjoyed was Sekiro, although I don't like any soulsbornewhtever stuff besides it. I think there is some nice weight to it's melancholy and everything just works. It was fun to play the first time and still I keep my eyes peeled if there would be a chance to get it for cheap, but I don't think my laptop could handle it anyway.