Nuori Veri - Kadonnut Maailmankuva (Aussaat)

Dedicated reviews section. All writers welcome.
D345
Maniacs Only

Nuori Veri - Kadonnut Maailmankuva (Aussaat)

Post by D345 »

(Young Blood - Lost Worldview.)

There's no way of not getting pretentious with this. I'm referring to my own words from my limited perspective. We all have our own issues. Too many question marks. If you are familiar with three Nuori Veri tapes preceding this, you have a good idea what this sounds like. Lo-fi field recordings (field in literal sense), piano, electronics, all overall physicality. Shouted or spoken vocals in finnish. I think you know the thrill.

Although this is by all accounts very industrial and knows it's roots, this is very "finnish." Bad Vugum version of Finland. Just the mindscape of peculiar people living in the forests doing their own thing. Not that all finns are peculiar. "We" are not special. This work reminds me more of obscure finnish bands than, let's say, Militia. Vocals and lyrics remind me of Keuhkot. It's hard to think that Keuhkot have not been influence for this. I could be wrong. Ethereal lo-fi soundscapes of "Kadonnut Maailmankuva" are reminiscent of Paavoharju, though this lacks a certain "femininity." And this has more feet on the ground, though here is much less people involved. Nuori Veri is more of Kahdeksan Surmanluotia. With maybe different ending and without the family. Still, Paavoharju always comes to my mind when I listen to Nuori Veri. This might be because I intentionally forget that Paavoharju is a pop band. Sometimes. For me it's insect lo-fi ambient of Lauri Ainala and his musically talented christian drinking buddies. Outcasts drinking "kilju" in the middle of the woods in abandoned buildings. Nuori Veri is what I had hoped Lauri Ainalas solo works would sound like.

It would be lovely to hear what this sounds like if you don't understand finnish and not know who Hannu Karpo is. Is it Hannu Karpo speaking in the third track? Can you hear the subtle humor without understanding the words? "My ass is getting sore after driving for too long." Green Ruin begins with these words. This has the overall feeling of just wanting to get away from "modern life." Do old schlagers feel like home? Maybe I'll have to hit my head hard enough and forget about language and just feel. Back to childhood. Now I'm just wondering, how do you translate "kaski?" Words are not very good for describing things. This is rural industrial and indeed feels like home. I lived my formative years in these soundscapes. Mindscapes. Small industrial part of a small town in the middle of fields and forests. Dirty, low-fidelity and sometimes beautiful against all the "rules" of beauty. Usually ruined by inbred rednecks, if you don't mind. What is this home? "Anywhere I lay my head." Bone Machine. Losing my direction now, and it is good. Junkyard Shaman is a good pairing with Nuori Veri, just less traditional view of the same mindscape.

Finally, what is this worldview that is implied to be lost? I don't know. It's self-absorbing and doesn't require thinking. I might be wrong. But I have a strong feeling about this. Beehives in the sky. The word "taivas" means both sky and heaven.

And by the way, I think this album is great!
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Re: Nuori Veri - Kadonnut Maailmankuva (Aussaat)

Post by Residual / RT »

Here's a review I posted on the now playing thread:
Listened to the new Nuori Veri CD last saturday. It was quite late, I had had a few drinks and was watching some Siberian urban exploration videos on mute at the same time, so did not give it as much attention as I think it probably deserves, mostly the lyrics. There was a very Finnish quality to it, reminding me of radio or TV theater both in execution and the sounds used. Also it seemed older, a relic of the past. Knowing the person who does Nuori Veri pretty well and having visited where he records, the enviroment is very rural and isolated. It has a quality of liminality, a place between the modern and the archaic. Same quality runs thru this project I think. It's a shame non-Finnish speakers don't understand the lyrics, but also can't read the book he released last year. They are somehow related works I believe. Very interesting release that warrants multiple listens.
If you liked the album, I really recommend reading his book, Kurpitsankukka that also came out last year.

I also found the tape very personally familiar, despite not living in a small town in my childhood. It is very Finnish, in a way I find very appealing and familiar. From the forest we have come and there will we will return.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

Residual / RT wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:13 am Here's a review I posted on the now playing thread:
Listened to the new Nuori Veri CD last saturday. It was quite late, I had had a few drinks and was watching some Siberian urban exploration videos on mute at the same time, so did not give it as much attention as I think it probably deserves, mostly the lyrics. There was a very Finnish quality to it, reminding me of radio or TV theater both in execution and the sounds used. Also it seemed older, a relic of the past. Knowing the person who does Nuori Veri pretty well and having visited where he records, the enviroment is very rural and isolated. It has a quality of liminality, a place between the modern and the archaic. Same quality runs thru this project I think. It's a shame non-Finnish speakers don't understand the lyrics, but also can't read the book he released last year. They are somehow related works I believe. Very interesting release that warrants multiple listens.
If you liked the album, I really recommend reading his book, Kurpitsankukka that also came out last year.

I also found the tape very personally familiar, despite not living in a small town in my childhood. It is very Finnish, in a way I find very appealing and familiar. From the forest we have come and there will we will return.
I haven't read it yet, but I think I should. You know where to find a copy?
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

D345 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:24 am
Residual / RT wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:13 am Here's a review I posted on the now playing thread:

I haven't read it yet, but I think I should. You know where to find a copy?
Abraxas kustannus sells it, abraxaspublishinghouse@gmail.com. Or you could as the author directly, brownhillmafia@gmail.com.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

Abraxas kustannus sells it, abraxaspublishinghouse@gmail.com. Or you could as the author directly, brownhillmafia@gmail.com.
Thanks!