Prurient thread

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Re: Prurient thread

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

33033 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:20 pm Seems to have been a bit of an uproar re: the rarities sale on Hospital's Site...
Just looked at that on the site and cackled. Destroying the flipping market is awesome (and necessary). Btw has he been doing larger pressings and repressings? I haven't paid attention in years. I hope he is. That would give me an immense amount of respect for him.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:27 am
33033 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:20 pm Seems to have been a bit of an uproar re: the rarities sale on Hospital's Site...
Just looked at that on the site and cackled. Destroying the flipping market is awesome (and necessary). Btw has he been doing larger pressings and repressings? I haven't paid attention in years. I hope he is. That would give me an immense amount of respect for him.
Fucking over the flipping market is actually an aspect of this I didn't even think about! Ha.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Let's not be too hasty. Fucking over the flipping market would be keeping the shit in print at affordable prices, not selling whatever dribs and drabs he's got leftover a bit lower than the Discogs rate. The flippability of Hospital titles is not something that works entirely against the label and certainly contributes to the cultish aura that surrounds it and has many people buying everything the dude puts out regardless of whether they think it'll be any good. He's always been fairly nailed on in his mentality of creating special objects intended for a comparatively select few maniacs and charging the money that goes along with it. Mostly I applaud him simply for bringing it a bit more in house rather than depending on Discogs and its bullshit. But yeah, solving the problems of scalpers and flippers is not a difficult job if that's what you really want to do.
Eighth Pillar
Contact Mic

Post by Eighth Pillar »

/
Last edited by Eighth Pillar on Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XXX
C20

Post by XXX »

Eighth Pillar wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:58 pm really does put a whole damper in both the phrase and ideology of "supporting the underground".
who's to say these profits wont be put directly back into the label? don't think that remorseless greed comp was cheap to make or ship.

but to pivot back to prurient, was talking w a friend the other day about noise of early 2000s. we spoke of how if you had told us back then that the "2 mics no shirt" guy would be on top of the heap we wouldn't have believed you. but looking back, it's easy to see that he never lost interest in the genre & continues to champion great art.
Eighth Pillar
Contact Mic

Post by Eighth Pillar »

/
Last edited by Eighth Pillar on Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XXX
C20

Post by XXX »

Eighth Pillar wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:51 pm I didn't snag that compilation, so correct me if I am wrong, but I am just genuinely curious.
that comp was 2 tapes in a paint can full of sand. weight was well over 5 pounds iirc. imagine shipping that over seas.
Eighth Pillar
Contact Mic

Post by Eighth Pillar »

/
Last edited by Eighth Pillar on Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

It's total speculation but it could be that Hospital ships enough on a monthly basis to qualify for a level of custom with a shipping service that would lead to significantly reduced costs. If they're doing things above board as a proper business, which I suspect is the case, there are ways into that for sure. Alternatively it could be that they have figured out their base costs and factored in a way over estimated shipping rate to the price to make it seem like a deal - again, the 'while stocks last' energy of the label and its fandom might have a hand in this. Also, that approach could depend upon a degree of guaranteed domestic, USA shipping vs a handful of rest-of-the-world balancing things out. Like I say, all marginally educated guesses but who knows without seeing their balance sheets, ha!

On the subject of where the money goes: I should think that Dom and co. earn a basic living as professional music people these days but I doubt they're wealthy from flipping edible gold splattered vinyl editions of Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement LPs that come with signed poisonous frogs or whatever the fuck it is. I totally believe that a lot of that dosh will be getting folded back into the label when it isn't paying the bills.
Vast Field Magnetism
C20

Post by Vast Field Magnetism »

33033 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:29 pm
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:27 am
Fucking over the flipping market is actually an aspect of this I didn't even think about! Ha.
Fucking over the flipping market would be repressing sought after releases, selling them at regular cost and undercutting the gougers.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

adult human wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:41 pm I totally believe that a lot of that dosh will be getting folded back into the label when it isn't paying the bills.
Yup. As prestigious as the label may seem to some, all of that comes at a price. Record manufacturing isn't cheap. Custom packaging for releases takes time. At a certain point it can become your only job, sure, but whoever thinks that Dom is just kicking back and laughing without a monetary worry in the world needs to think again. It all comes at a price, and if you don't funnel a majority of the earnings back into the "business" you're going to end up paying out of pocket anyways if you want it to survive. Sustainability 101.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

adult human wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:49 pm Let's not be too hasty. Fucking over the flipping market would be keeping the shit in print at affordable prices, not selling whatever dribs and drabs he's got leftover a bit lower than the Discogs rate. The flippability of Hospital titles is not something that works entirely against the label and certainly contributes to the cultish aura that surrounds it and has many people buying everything the dude puts out regardless of whether they think it'll be any good. He's always been fairly nailed on in his mentality of creating special objects intended for a comparatively select few maniacs and charging the money that goes along with it. Mostly I applaud him simply for bringing it a bit more in house rather than depending on Discogs and its bullshit. But yeah, solving the problems of scalpers and flippers is not a difficult job if that's what you really want to do.
Yeah, you're right.
Mattias Gustafsson
Contact Mic

Post by Mattias Gustafsson »

I am very curious about all the talk about "scalpers and flippers". Who are they? And how do they find out about noise releases etc? (wanna feel old?)
SafetyPropaganda
Contact Mic

Post by SafetyPropaganda »

Dom is a good friend and a great artist.
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Post by k.p.g »

Prurient is fantastic, and it is pretty astounding that he has succeeded in performing a variety of styles so well under the name for several decades now. A release I have yet to see brought up on here is "African Division." It's a short one, but absolutely killer crude noise. Happy to own a copy of that one. The Dilloway collab is also choice material.
Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
brick logic
Sound Art

Post by brick logic »

one of my favourites is the collaboration with Carlos giffoni,- heavy rains return. I no longer have it though. is it available anywhere digitally?
drift
Thrashmaster

Post by drift »

I have a few prurient records, and quite like them; they're the famous ones, which is good. what was Bermuda Drain about? I remember hearing it when it came out (2011) and thinking it was a huge curveball, but now don't care. I was listening to a lot more noise back then, so just wondered if I've lost an ear for it or something stupider.
turn it up!
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

drift wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:35 am I have a few prurient records, and quite like them; they're the famous ones, which is good. what was Bermuda Drain about? I remember hearing it when it came out (2011) and thinking it was a huge curveball, but now don't care. I was listening to a lot more noise back then, so just wondered if I've lost an ear for it or something stupider.

Hard to say how your ears might have changed and if that's reflected anyhow in your contemporary views of the record....I never thought it was that much of a curveball, though I get why it might be thought of as such. I think you could argue there were a lot of precursors, melodically speaking, in things like Cocaine Death, not to mention what he'd been doing with Cold Cave for a while by that point. More pertinently, Prurient has always been a project prone to delivering big variation across particular releases. Often drawing obsessively from really disparate realms of musical and thematic influence.

Edit - realised I echoed a lot of things in my initial reply that exist in a comment made in page one of the thread so I've changed it. Listening to Bermuda Drain now though and it's still so, so daft. God bless him.
drift
Thrashmaster

Post by drift »

yeah, sorry I missed your post when looking back. fwiw I went the other way, decided to take prurient more seriously and consider BD a "blip". but seeing as I can't still do that, I guess you win the argument? God bless him.
turn it up!
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

There's no argument to win, just circular analysis which I happen to enjoy for its own sake. Having a listen to Casablanca Flamethrower right now off the back of comments made earlier in the thread and it's interesting to see what he's up to more recently. It definitely sounds like a Tesco album.
drift
Thrashmaster

Post by drift »

does anyone have an interview or similar in which Dom cites his favourite noise artists? just cuious on the grounds that, and I don't think it's due to his relative fame, there is a sense in all his records, from memory, of him being both absent and present from the recording, of existing outside it in some sense. I think I like it, and wondered if it was because he "gets it".

anyway, Casablanca Flamethrower has a strong prurient feel to its "narrative", whether or not I'm enjoying it (which I am)
turn it up!
Ascitic
Blank Tape

Post by Ascitic »

Dudes legacy is undeniable. First time visiting hospital was just as important to me as visiting RRR or Apop. I was introduced to a lot of stuff thru hospital in the early 2000's. I'm not super into his new stuff, but my opinion sucks as much as anyone's. He still made history of aids, black vase and cocaine death. Prurient rules.
Brian O'Blivion
Hard Panning

Post by Brian O'Blivion »

Haven't seen a lot of love for Rainbow Mirror in this thread and I'm curious why that is? I bought the 7xLP boxset when it was released and enjoyed the experience of just grabbing a random LP from the box and spending time with different parts of the album instead of listening sequentially. One of his best, in my opinion.
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

You can’t spend a long career constantly trying to innovate and try new things, without a few duds here and there. BD is a pretty flawed record, but I (think I) understand what he was trying to do there. It just didn’t work out very well.

I was supposed to see him live in Helsinki in 2015, but in the end didn’t make it. One of my greatest ”shows I missed” regrets.
Ineffable Slime
Hard Panning

Post by Ineffable Slime »

the Bermuda Drain release show with Wes Eisold playing with Dom was really sick,it captured the energy he was trying to do on the record. I think at the time people perceived it as a "change" in the sound versus a one off experiment, in the long run it's just an oddity in the discography that has a few jammers but also kinda dated sounding.