epic purchase of bandcamp

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
XXX
C20

epic purchase of bandcamp

Post by XXX »

i’m sure some of you saw the news that bandcamp will soon be owned by epic games (yes the fortnite people) will you continue to use the service? personally ive always found bandcamp to be rather lackluster & this only makes me less likely to use the platform in the future. of course if anyone knows of alternatives please do share.
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Re: epic purchase of bandcamp

Post by Atrophist »

Well, Epic is depriving me of Darkest Dungeon 2 for an entire year, so they are definitely on my shit list.
Zalhietzli
Hard Panning

Post by Zalhietzli »

XXX wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:01 pm i’m sure some of you saw the news that bandcamp will soon be owned by epic games (yes the fortnite people) will you continue to use the service? personally ive always found bandcamp to be rather lackluster & this only makes me less likely to use the platform in the future. of course if anyone knows of alternatives please do share.
Well, is there any other alternative ? There's soundcloud but the experience is quite different (less album focused) and there's an upload limit for free accounts.

Regarding Epic and the impact on Bandcamp, wait and see...
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

For a long time I have thought bandcamp as "too good to be true." And I have been fearing that it will be bought by some evil multinational capitalist slaveship. Is Epic Games one? They promise to keep things as they are, and I hope so. But is Epic Games worth supporting? I can't think of any alternative for bandcamp either.
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
sarinDK
Contact Mic

Post by sarinDK »

Epic games has 40% of its stock owned by Chinese entertainment/tech behemoth Tencent.
This may not change anything about bandcamp, but I find it a very worrisome move.
I have used bandcamp extensively for years to purchase music from artists and labels alike. Hopefully alternatives will show up.
I have not played games on the Epic platform so I have no idea about their policies/services and how they compare to iE Valve's steam.
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

I am stealing someones comment from the internet but "my thoughts exactly"
:
" I’ve always loved Bandcamp Fridays, but I never really went too far out of my way to buy music on those days, because I always thought ”hey, Bandcamp is independent! It’s a great platform, and they deserve my money too!” But now? I’m not spending a CENT if it’s not Bandcamp Friday and the revenue isn’t going entirely to the artist. "
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

MND
C20

Post by MND »

As a fairly new label (started in 2017) Bandcamp helped me a lot and has since with the followers option and with the people that buy/stream/download my releases throught there, I've tried other plataforms such as Discogs and also direct selling, none of that worked since people don't buy. I've read over the years people's dislike for Bandcamp, mainly when it comes to downloading/streaming of the music because that is not underground or whatever and I kind get it, but as a label what else I can do? If I don't sell throught Bandcamp I get no sales, and if their is no sales, pretty much there are no releases, since the money most labels do go to pay for more tapes, printing and shipping, with that said as for me I will continue to use it, and I hope that they don't change a lot.

I've already read the Epic Games statement that they uploaded to their website claiming they won't change anything at all and they will just add new features and want to expand to make a independent marketplace with music, art, videogames and such, and while that sounds good, I also know that history always tend to repeat itself, bigger companies buying small companies, then making statements about no dramatic changes, about listening to the users/audience, about respecting artists, labels, developers, consumers, ect, and at the end, they just change everything in favour of their financial gain. I hope to be wrong.
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

https://youtu.be/xK0XGzhBYF0?t=960

at around 16 minutes mark he talks about how he wouldn't sell the company because he knows it's important for artists that BC is independent. "It's a responsibility that I take very seriously."

elektrik winds
Blank Tape

Post by elektrik winds »

MND wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:11 pm
I've already read the Epic Games statement that they uploaded to their website claiming they won't change anything at all and they will just add new features and want to expand to make a independent marketplace with music, art, videogames and such,
Its the beginning of the end, lets hope new alternative pops out soon
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

MND wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:11 pm I've already read the Epic Games statement that they uploaded to their website claiming they won't change anything at all and they will just add new features and want to expand to make a independent marketplace with music, art, videogames and such
Haha - When can I start buying NFTs?
-NRRRRK-
Hard Panning

Post by -NRRRRK- »

D345 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:26 pm For a long time I have thought bandcamp as "too good to be true." And I have been fearing that it will be bought by some evil multinational capitalist slaveship. Is Epic Games one? They promise to keep things as they are, and I hope so. But is Epic Games worth supporting? I can't think of any alternative for bandcamp either.
Pretty much my thoughts. Hoping for the best.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

-NRRRRK- wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:48 am
D345 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:26 pm For a long time I have thought bandcamp as "too good to be true." And I have been fearing that it will be bought by some evil multinational capitalist slaveship. Is Epic Games one? They promise to keep things as they are, and I hope so. But is Epic Games worth supporting? I can't think of any alternative for bandcamp either.
Pretty much my thoughts. Hoping for the best.
Same here
raato
Hard Panning

Post by raato »

D345 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:17 pm https://youtu.be/xK0XGzhBYF0?t=960

at around 16 minutes mark he talks about how he wouldn't sell the company because he knows it's important for artists that BC is independent. "It's a responsibility that I take very seriously."
i guess that for a lot of people values and responsibilities aren't that big of a deal when offered an even bigger pile of currency
no gods no masters no gender no music
what's the point records kadotus records art
chryptusrecords
Hard Panning

Post by chryptusrecords »

this is for better or worse the basic playbook of many "tech" companies these days, netflix did the same thing, corner a marketplace by aggregating a bunch of content that is free or cheap to access, and then raise fees or restrict access or start selling ad space once your user base is big enough. i don't know how bandcamp made money before, besides the "service fee" or whatever they call it, but bandcamp has been modestly profitable whereas spotify decidedly does not turn a profit. it shows the bandcamp model works as-is, hopefully they can maintain the current structure, and then any metaverse shit they might add i can just ignore.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

https://www.themarysue.com/why-musician ... -bandcamp/
A company called Tencent has a 40% share in Epic Games. As this article points out, Tencent and its affiliate Tencent Music own a total 9% share in Spotify, which the company achieved only after trying to buy it outright. Tencent Music specializes in user-generated content, like karaoke and live-streaming apps. Still, the direct thread to a company so interested in Spotify is … itchy.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
leuksi
Hard Panning

Post by leuksi »

I fear this will turn into a total fucking mess, as of now it seems to be just a fucking mess.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

I’ve always liked Bandcamp and felt it was sorta the wave of the future whether I hoped so or not. Sort of maybe an inevitability. While yeah I am deeply skeptical toward Epic Games owning it, if somehow this delivers a service that allows fair payment to artists for streaming that could be very good. On the flip side Fortnite and the predatory micro-transactions that form that game…that’s not a good sign.
Parthenon_23
Contact Mic

Post by Parthenon_23 »

I like this and I'm going to implement it also...I'd been reducing my purchases on Bandcamp on some instinctual level anyway for some time now. Our music should have its own platform anyway but it is also good for it to not become too insular, which some may argue it already kinda is.

D345 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:52 pm I am stealing someones comment from the internet but "my thoughts exactly"
:
" I’ve always loved Bandcamp Fridays, but I never really went too far out of my way to buy music on those days, because I always thought ”hey, Bandcamp is independent! It’s a great platform, and they deserve my money too!” But now? I’m not spending a CENT if it’s not Bandcamp Friday and the revenue isn’t going entirely to the artist. "