THE DREADED GEAR THREAD

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Zalhietzli
Hard Panning

Re: THE DREADED GEAR THREAD

Post by Zalhietzli »

Namahs wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:44 am Just bought a ElectroHarmonix "Random Tone Generator" pedal and had a quick test.
I like it a lot and gonna have fun with it.
Isn't that the one button pedal that just spurts random pitched sounds at different speeds ? How do you plan to use it ? I'm curious because it seems pretty limited...
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Zalhietzli wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:25 pm
Namahs wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:44 am Just bought a ElectroHarmonix "Random Tone Generator" pedal and had a quick test.
I like it a lot and gonna have fun with it.
Isn't that the one button pedal that just spurts random pitched sounds at different speeds ? How do you plan to use it ? I'm curious because it seems pretty limited...
It is a simple pedal by itself yes but with delay, reverb, flanger, phaser etc you get some nice variation going on. Also a quick try with distortion pedals got some nice wall going on.
Simple guy enjoying simple things in the end haha!
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

I’ve been interested in getting a compressor to mangle field recordings etc. lately. Any recommendations? The more colourful/strange the better. The EHX platform has caught my eye. Does anyone have experience with that unit in particular?
Kenny
Hard Panning

Post by Kenny »

Thinking about changing to a digital mixer for live DAW style precise eq sculpting and multi-track recording without resorting to a laptop on stage.

Does anyone have any experience with the Behringer Flow 8?
https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DNM

I like the small footprint and it seems to be able to do what I want.
But it`s a Behringer and probably unreasonably so, I am a bit hesitant.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

murmur wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:41 pm I’ve been interested in getting a compressor to mangle field recordings etc. lately. Any recommendations? The more colourful/strange the better. The EHX platform has caught my eye. Does anyone have experience with that unit in particular?
Are you taking about the Platform (which I admittedly know nothing about)?

I’m sort of struggling to think how a compressor in pedal form would “mangle” anything really significantly - I really love a compressor on bass but it’s a very “transparent” and subtle effect - I think a DAW plugin might give you a lot more versatility to really warp some shit with a billion knobs. Sometimes compressors get a rep of just “flattening” or “evening” out a sound but it’s a little more than that. For me, I love the Boss CS-2 and the DOD Milk Box to mess around with.

I think that Platform pedal might push things a little more than your standard two or three knob compressor, but I’m not an expert in what you’re trying to accomplish.

There’s also this: https://www.ehx.com/products/attack-decay/ which might produce the sort of “bowing” and “swells” that you might be trying to accomplish with a compressor? Maybe pair this with a (reverse) delay to warp and manipulate things?

I hope I’m not being patronizing here - I am not an expert but I know with a studio grade compressor you could get a lot more weirdness out of things so that EHX one might be super fun and perfect for what you’re looking for. I’ve only messed around with really complex units in plug-in form and know they’re more twisted and evil if you push them to the extreme.
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

holy ghost wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:20 pm
murmur wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:41 pm I’ve been interested in getting a compressor to mangle field recordings etc. lately. Any recommendations? The more colourful/strange the better. The EHX platform has caught my eye. Does anyone have experience with that unit in particular?
Are you taking about the Platform (which I admittedly know nothing about)?

I know with a studio grade compressor you could get a lot more weirdness out of things so that EHX one might be super fun and perfect for what you’re looking for. I’ve only messed around with really complex units in plug-in form and know they’re more twisted and evil if you push them to the extreme.
Not patronizing at all! I am talking about the pedal called the Platform, but I’m not only looking for pedals, just general recommendations, including rack units or whatever else. I’m not looking for the “bowing” effect as much, more as a tool to bring something out of a field recording in parallel with other stuff for treatment.
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

I would agree with holy ghost — a compressor wouldn’t be the first thing you choose if you want strange or colourful effects. What’s your budget, and is the size and weight of the unit important (you said rackmounted effects are okay, so perhaps not?)
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

Atrophist wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:58 pm I would agree with holy ghost — a compressor wouldn’t be the first thing you choose if you want strange or colourful effects. What’s your budget, and is the size and weight of the unit important (you said rackmounted effects are okay, so perhaps not?)
Right, what would you recommend then? I’ve been using the compressors on a cheap zoom multieffect with some success, but I’m certainly not stuck on the idea.

I’m not really sure about budget, maybe up to a few hundred dollars? It, and the size and weight, would depend on the unit. If it’s really cool, I’d be more willing to put up with price/size/weight. I’m not desperate to buy something, I’d just like to get a better idea of what’s out there.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

what exactly do you wish to do? "mangling" can mean anything and everything. a compressor is a bit of an odd tool for mangling, but sure it can do extreme stuff to audio. mostly used for more subtle things rather than "mangling" though, as it's basically designed to even out dynamics within an audio signal. it can make quiet things louder and loud things quieter, or add gain & distrotion I guess but most compressors aren't designed for that so you should get better results with distortion pedals or units.

do you want modulation? (chorus, phaser, flanger?) do you want distortion? (distortion pedals, filters?) do you want cut up? there aren't many units that can do all of those. late 80s-early 90s multi FX rack units are pretty good all around units for sound mangling, not too neutral like modern units but still pretty capable. you can get models with 4 inputs and 4 outputs for a few hundred.

coupled with a computer for recording & cut ups and a gnarly distortion pedal you should have all you need for mangling samples. I'd personally add a sampler of some sort (your phone, a tape player or a dedicated sampler) so you can recycle samples thru your effects multiple times. for example a distorted vocal sample with reverb sounds really nice when run thru distortion again, the reverb tail can sound really nasty when distorted.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

How I’ve been using compression is in parallel with an EQ then into other treatment. I’ve found that having a field recording’s dynamics be drastically changed can drastically alter how it hits other effects, like filtering, distortion, reverb, etc. Making the background hum on a recording as loud as whatever else can be a strange effect, for example.

I’m asking about hardware units because I know that many compressors, especially cheap ones, colour what’s run through them, beyond just changing their dynamics. This is more what I’m interested in learning more about.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

That makes a lot of sense ^ I think when people hear “mangling” they assume you’d want to put a metal zone in front or some shit.

I mentioned above the Milk Box but it’s really gone up in price used.

This dude runs a wild website dedicated to compressor reviews: http://www.ovnilab.com/ and reading his reviews is what got me looking for a Milk Box. Took me FOREVER to find one, I remember the guy sold it to me for $50 and he was right down the street from where I worked and I think based on the number of emails he was getting by the time I got there he was wondering if he’d priced it too low….
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

Thanks for sharing that website, what a great resource!
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

I like my MXR M87, altho I only use it for bass. It has input and output gain, so you can really colour up the signal if you want to, but at 12'' it's really neutral and has very little noise.

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/mxrbass.shtml
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

murmur wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:12 am How I’ve been using compression is in parallel with an EQ then into other treatment. I’ve found that having a field recording’s dynamics be drastically changed can drastically alter how it hits other effects, like filtering, distortion, reverb, etc. Making the background hum on a recording as loud as whatever else can be a strange effect, for example.

I’m asking about hardware units because I know that many compressors, especially cheap ones, colour what’s run through them, beyond just changing their dynamics. This is more what I’m interested in learning more about.
Okay, now I think I have a much better idea of what you want to do to. I have no special experise with compressors, actually I’ve seen that Ovnilab site before, but I had totally forgotten about it.

I’m actually pretty sure the EHX pedal you mentioned would be a good option for what you’re describing here. EHX do many other compressors as well, their Black Finger has been popular with artists in our niche. I’m not sure about their price or availability though.

You might also want to have a look at the RNC (really nice compressor) and RNLA (really nice limiting amplifier) by FMR Audio. They are very simple, reliable and well made units, affordable, and not much bigger or heavier than your average guitar pedal.

https://www.fmraudio.com/
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Atrophist wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:31 amI’m actually pretty sure the EHX pedal you mentioned would be a good option for what you’re describing here. EHX do many other compressors as well, their Black Finger has been popular with artists in our niche. I’m not sure about their price or availability though.
NGL I am planning to watch some videos on it later today - I doubt if modern EHX can ignite much excitement but that actually does look very cool. You don’t often see an EIGHT knob compressor pedal out there!
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

I've built quite a few Orange Squeezer compressors over the years. It's one of my favourite pedals to use. I think it sounds great on bass, guitar, drum machines, tapes, noise, and the cool thing is that you can mod them easily and turn them into "weird" pedals like, not really a compressor but not really a distortion either. There's a bias pot that can alter your sound differently and that you can turn into a knob, etc. It's pretty cool and definitely not your usual compressor, although it can totally be if you want it to.
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Remi wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:37 pm I've built quite a few Orange Squeezer compressors over the years. It's one of my favourite pedals to use. I think it sounds great on bass, guitar, drum machines, tapes, noise, and the cool thing is that you can mod them easily and turn them into "weird" pedals like, not really a compressor but not really a distortion either. There's a bias pot that can alter your sound differently and that you can turn into a knob, etc. It's pretty cool and definitely not your usual compressor, although it can totally be if you want it to.
This sounds really cool - I don’t know anything about the Orange Squeezer aside from thinking the name is cool. A “weird” compressor is something I’m quite interested in.

For more basic stuff Juan Alderalte has always pushed the CS-2 and after getting for for free from a friend about a decade ago it’s absolutely worth the hype. Definitely something I rarely have off my board for more spacey mellow stuff. Noise stuff it’s not necessary but it’s truly something magical Boss pushed out. Never tried a CS-3 and doubt I’d ever get the itch to….
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

It can be pretty "normal" too (it's all over Dire Straits' "Sultans Of Swing"'s guitar solo for instance), and that' s actually what I love about compressors. They can be some kind of always-on pedal that just makes everything sound better in general. But the Orange Squeezer can go weird if you force it to.
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Maybe a sidetopic "misbehaving gear".
Gotta ask for help/ideas.
My Boss PH-3 started acting out yesterday. The led goes off like a maniac at a rave. Blinks like no tomorrow and it doesnt really give out any signal either.

I tried couple different power supplies, didnt tru just a battery yet because didnt find one. Tried multiple different power chords etc. Nothing.

Bought it second hand, pretty much in mint condition like a month ago. It worked fine earlier and suddenly just went apeshit.

Maybe a electric spike or something?
thatonekidatshows
C20

Post by thatonekidatshows »

Namahs wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:43 am Maybe a sidetopic "misbehaving gear".
It could be an issue with the switching circuit in the pedal. Unfortunately, since it's not true bypass, it's kinda hard to diagnose. What do you mean by "doesn't really give out signal?" Does any pass through? What about when the pedal is in bypass?
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

thatonekidatshows wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:13 pm
Namahs wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:43 am Maybe a sidetopic "misbehaving gear".
It could be an issue with the switching circuit in the pedal. Unfortunately, since it's not true bypass, it's kinda hard to diagnose. What do you mean by "doesn't really give out signal?" Does any pass through? What about when the pedal is in bypass?
I got some signal going when the phaser was connected to flanger and metal zone and then turning up the gain. But it disappeared again when flanger or metal zone was turned off.

Weirdest shit happened today with the pedal. Went back to test it again. Exact same set up. It started working again like normal. Didnt act up at all.
dust
Contact Mic

Post by dust »

spray some deoxit or equiv into the switching mechanism (you'll see it in the battery compartment) and hope for the best
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

I had an issue with my DD7 where it cut out and sometimes made this weird radiophonic pinging noise when it turned on or off. I took it apart and checked all the connections and without re-soldering anything it all started working again - been like 5 years and no issues.

Bottom line, Boss shit is built like a fucking tank. There’s a clear solution if your success getting it to work today is only temporary.

Like I’ve got “vintage EHX” stuff that should be in a museum because it’s so fragile and Boss stuff from the same era that I would drop in a lake and then blow it up with a land mine and I reckon it would still work just fine….
Ineffable Slime
Hard Panning

Post by Ineffable Slime »

Speaking of vintage EHX stuff, they just sent a note out that Russian tubes exports are basically drying up, and they're not going to be fulfilling any backorders....might be a good time to start hoarding tubes.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Ineffable Slime wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:07 pm Speaking of vintage EHX stuff, they just sent a note out that Russian tubes exports are basically drying up, and they're not going to be fulfilling any backorders....might be a good time to start hoarding tubes.
I saw that - I have a recently retubed and hot rodded Peavey Butcher - I have a few backup heads (and not that I’ll be playing out anytime soon) but that is most concerning should I need new tubes. “A pickle of a problem” as they say….