Now Playing

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Re: Now Playing

Post by Capers »

T.D. - Standing Water C48 (More Mars, 2021)
Side A, "For Cy (1988)", floats out in the room by way of wheezing, tranquil and not so tranquil field recordings, tapes ff:ing and rw:ing, and shortwave radio whistling and hissing. All chopped up into shorter pieces. Compared to his previous solo cassettes, this is a stripped down affair. Well, stripped down compared to anything, really. In the end it comes off as an unprovoking take on old Come Org cassettes. Just voluntary and content catatonia. Perhaps a provoking approach to some? I like it! Flipside, "Melk Extracts", has Jim Strong, Stewart Skinner and Allen Mozek (glad to see this chap's name on a release again!) in the lineup. A less passive approach here, more hands on. Voices on air, hands mangling domestic trash and what have you. Tapes of course. We've heard it all before, so what makes this worthwhile? I'm asking the wrong person (myself). Especially like the parts where it sounds like some amputee is trying to re-string and strum a guitar while drying his or her hair. Great cassette!
Attachments
IMG_20220309_114044.jpg
IMG_20220309_114044.jpg (37.23 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
_TS_
C20

Post by _TS_ »

Playing lately: some new, some old. All good! The Violent Shogun tape has been running on repeat since it arrived. The Scrap Furnace tape is good, but not up there with Vanhalas best work in my opinion, B side is great though.. Sputtering and chaotic. Mania is the shit, as everyone knows. this is one of my personal favourites of his. Perfect bassy junk and great vocals.

I guess the least known release here is the Swollen Korps tape with the fantastic title "Better to Destroy a Child than Repair a Man". I rarely hear anyone talk about it. Has anyone heard the new one?
Attachments
IMG_20220309_140434.jpg
IMG_20220309_140434.jpg (39.75 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
To og to, det ene mot det andre: inn i denne strid fødes vi, med spiren til død i oss...

Forflatning - https://cloisterrecordingsus.bandcamp.c ... orflatning
Kropper Uten Mellomrom - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Z39KUtxC0
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

dave gilden - texas chainsaw dopefiend
whore's breath - ingested eighth
lonsai maïkov - from the fountain
lonsai maïkov - the smell of knowledge
sulfuric hatred (lead singer of undeath is a member) - DEMO MMXXII
vio-lence - let the world burn ep (this is new!!!!)
backslider - psychic rot
the serfs - primal matter
sungaze - the dream
melvins - bullhead
carcass - tools of the trade ep
bolt thrower - those once loyal
crowbar - odd fellow's rest
at the gates - slaughter of the soul
pro-pain - s/t
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Thanks to the APRAPAT interview from WCN I figured I’d pick up this. Really digging it!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.61 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
_TS_
C20

Post by _TS_ »

33033 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:00 pm Thanks to the APRAPAT interview from WCN I figured I’d pick up this. Really digging it!
I remember thinking I should check this out. Thanks for the reminder!

Been listening to:

Kaosritual - Svøpt Morgenrød. Wrong genre for this forum, but cant resist talking about it. The Golden era of "Nidrosian Black Metal" was so good. The early releases from Selvhat, Min Kniv, Kaosritual, Black Majesty, Mare, etc. All bangers. It's too bad the releases of the later years don't have the same vibe.

Heat Signature - Disguised Human Presence and Altered States of Warfare.. This shit is perfect for blasting a long day out of your head. I wish tapes were available. Would buy them in a heartbeat.
To og to, det ene mot det andre: inn i denne strid fødes vi, med spiren til død i oss...

theworldisawarfilm
C20

Post by theworldisawarfilm »

Listening to some bootleg version of 'European Son' by the Velvets with a kettle on the boil close by. Creaking of the kettle meshed extremely well with the closing freakout guitars for a minute.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

THE RITA / TRERIKSRÖSET - LP (White Centipede Noise, 2020)
I think I've written at length about this LP before elsewhere, so I wont repeat myself. It is an excellent record. Wouldn't mind hearing a longer collaboration with the two than the part on side A here, where Treriksröset plugged into the first half of The Ritas set during a gig in Berlin, November 2018. The second half is a real bareknuckledrag on tarmac, bones showing and all. The ever so slight room in the sound, while meaning it demands loud playback, really adds life to it. makes me curious: are there more The Rita live records out there?
The Treriksröset side (B) is just phenomenal. Full-bodied yet full of holes and tears, increasingly ecstatic. The man is in no hurry putting out releases, but if this, his latest recorded release, is anything to go by, he's just getting better and better still.
Attachments
IMG_20220311_231530.jpg
IMG_20220311_231530.jpg (27.72 KiB) Viewed 2831 times
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

Rainy day here so perfect for checking out the new listening pile. Recently received all of the new White Centipede CDs and digging through this strong batch. There were already some nice reviews posted about the Aprapat and New Boyfriends, but I was most curious by the new K.M. Toepfer as I know very little about this artist.

I'm familiar with the Undercut tape on Absurd Exposition which I thought was very good. After the initial listen of Retrace No Steps, it certainly feels like an "album." The material feels very fleshed out and composed in a way, I think the artist had a specific framework in mind while editing because the tracks have a good variety and flow throughout. A unique sound palette, based around very well-crafted high frequencies and utilization of dynamics used in a refreshing manner. An artist that could be home on a harsh noise label or something more akin to Erstwhile Records.

If anyone has recommendations for some earlier stand-out releases from K.M. Toepfer, let me know.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Capers wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:36 pm The ever so slight room in the sound, while meaning it demands loud playback, really adds life to it. makes me curious: are there more The Rita live records out there?
https://absurdexposition.bandcamp.com/a ... treal-2018

I believe the first set is straight from the board without a room mix, and the second set is room-only without the board.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
_TS_
C20

Post by _TS_ »

IMG_20220315_110837.jpg
IMG_20220315_110837.jpg (26.33 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
Pogrom - Degančios Suros

This one is something special. Super low-key, yet very effective. Lulls you into that bassy atmosphere before surprising you. Listened twice today. Will listen again.

Mania / Hal Hutchinson split

Nice! Should play this more often.

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Been really getting into Breaking the Will and Heat Signature lately. What took me so long?!??

breaking the will - active nihilism
breaking the will - rushing wires
heat signature - dehumanization in progress
heat signature - people's war
the red chord - clients (revisiting this after reading the Decibel article on it)
crowbar - odd fellow's rest
king gizzard & the lizard wizard, undeath and war curse singles

Watching a lot of the Golden Girls lately. A friend sent me a link to a short exchange on there that was basically a meme. It was so funny that I looked for more. The sarcasm and comebacks are absolutely hilarious. Great show, highly recommended.
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

Boredom Knife - Feticide / Tyhjiø - No lives matter split CD (abhorrent creation tapes)

split cd:s have always felt kinda weird (don't really know a rational reason for that except the fact that you don't physically have to flip sides but that is not rational)
Boredom Knife is new to me, good pulsing noise. Too tired to come up with any creative words. Enjoyed it. Fell asleep during Tyhjiös side, but it wasn't the noises fault. Tyhjiö has always been slowly building feedback screech, nice patient staticness without having anything to do with HNW. Tyhjiö needs more praise. But maybe someday there'll be a Tyhjiö tape or CD or LP other than "I" which was edition of 20 on recycled tapes. Good tape. https://hobotapes.bandcamp.com/album/i I think Tyhjiö means somewhat a same thing as Umpio. No matter. This requires some sort of philosophical conversation so we are in a dull dead end already and off-trail. There's picture of Jim Jones on Tyhjiös side and I think there was Jonestown samples on the track. I'm not really sure since I fell asleep. Jim Jones samples are cliches like fuck but who cares if it works and I think it worked.
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

D345 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:15 pm Boredom Knife - Feticide / Tyhjiø - No lives matter split CD (abhorrent creation tapes)

split cd:s have always felt kinda weird (don't really know a rational reason for that except the fact that you don't physically have to flip sides but that is not rational)
Boredom Knife is new to me, good pulsing noise. Too tired to come up with any creative words. Enjoyed it. Fell asleep during Tyhjiös side, but it wasn't the noises fault. Tyhjiö has always been slowly building feedback screech, nice patient staticness without having anything to do with HNW. Tyhjiö needs more praise. But maybe someday there'll be a Tyhjiö tape or CD or LP other than "I" which was edition of 20 on recycled tapes. Good tape. https://hobotapes.bandcamp.com/album/i I think Tyhjiö means somewhat a same thing as Umpio. No matter. This requires some sort of philosophical conversation so we are in a dull dead end already and off-trail. There's picture of Jim Jones on Tyhjiös side and I think there was Jonestown samples on the track. I'm not really sure since I fell asleep. Jim Jones samples are cliches like fuck but who cares if it works and I think it worked.

Tyhjiø uses two 4x4 matrix mixers and a shit-ton of pedals live. I think his was one of the best pure Harsh Noise sets in Noise Space ever. He’s in several metal and grindcore bands as well (I think) and tyhjiø doesn’t get really that much of his time and attention.

Actually I’ve in touch with BK regarding Noise Space too, but it looks like it might not happen.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Atrophist wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:33 pm
D345 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:15 pm Boredom Knife - Feticide / Tyhjiø - No lives matter split CD (abhorrent creation tapes)

Tyhjiø uses two 4x4 matrix mixers and a shit-ton of pedals live. I think his was one of the best pure Harsh Noise sets in Noise Space ever. He’s in several metal and grindcore bands as well (I think) and tyhjiø doesn’t get really that much of his time and attention.

Actually I’ve in touch with BK regarding Noise Space too, but it looks like it might not happen.
Pete is busy man. Tyhjiø released a new "Tyhjiø remix" of a Empath song on youtube like a week ago.
Huge fan of Feastem and Famine Year where Pete screams.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Electric Hobo - Broken Existence
_TS_
C20

Post by _TS_ »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:52 pm Been really getting into Breaking the Will and Heat Signature lately. What took me so long?!??
Right? Heat Signature is the bomb. I think, what makes is special for me is that repeated listens reveal some almost ecstatic moments hidden in the chaos. It's a statement I suspect is true for lots of good harsh noise, but it has been especially effective for me with this particular project. Haven't had that feeling since the Secret Apex tape came out.

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

_TS_ wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:26 am
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:52 pm Been really getting into Breaking the Will and Heat Signature lately. What took me so long?!??
Right? Heat Signature is the bomb. I think, what makes is special for me is that repeated listens reveal some almost ecstatic moments hidden in the chaos. It's a statement I suspect is true for lots of good harsh noise, but it has been especially effective for me with this particular project. Haven't had that feeling since the Secret Apex tape came out.
I feel really stupid for taking so long, considering that Luke's only an hour away and I've been a huge fan of Being since 2007...
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Been a busy week - a lot of driving in a work van with no Bluetooth. A lot of classic rock or “alternative” radio. Then a lot of Soundgarden when making dinner. Then a lot of Melvins records as well.

Also trying to sift through the Boris records of the last few years and digging none of them. I like some of their records a lot and a lot of them not at all.

Noise playlist:
Heinz Hopf - Gothenburg CD - bought this a while back and sort of forgot about it. Great crunchy fun stuff.

Dug out As Loud As Possible to prep for the reissue. Then making insane plans to work through the box sets.

Wolf Eyes - Human Animal - will always love this one.

Sewer System - s/t on Angst. I love all SS I’ve heard. No exception.

Toanche Dwelling “Hovering Ancestor” tape. Got this in a local trade last week, just getting around to it now. Really cool project.
theworldisawarfilm
C20

Post by theworldisawarfilm »

holy ghost wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:23 pm Sewer System - s/t on Angst. I love all SS I’ve heard. No exception.
Not usually my cup of tea but I have been playing this non-stop.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

sewer system is awesome.

most recent playlist:

backworld - isles of the blest
DARE - against all odds
being - hydrocracker
skrol - eschaton
uniform - ghosthouse
uniform - "awakening"

+ I started listening to some stuff from Old Captain (in addition to the Skrol album)
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Spins of the day:
Author & Punisher - Drone Machines
Atrophist - Untitled (In Honour Of St. Olga Of Kiev)
Electric Hobo - Figures
Electric Hobo - Insect Existence
Tyrant Flycatcher - In A Grove
Kozzzma/Slave Existence - Split
Tyhjiø - Kruunu
Lingua Ignota - Let The Evil Of His Own Lips Cover Him
Lingua Ignota - All Bitches Die
Sunn O)))/Ulver - Terrestrials
Novitshok - rntn
Junkyard Shaman - Junk Loops 2
Junkyard Shaman - Junk Collage #1
Last edited by Namahs on Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Sunday morning:

Toanche Dwelling - Hovering Ancestor CS
Hattifnattar - Noise Multipliers CS
Kapotte Muziek - Verder CD
Violent Shogun - Knife Will Not Open Because of the Rust CS
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
MuhSteve
Hard Panning

Post by MuhSteve »

Sunday playlist:
Tongue Depressor : Smoke ‘em While You Got ‘em (Soundholes).
Duncan Harisson : A Fleet Of Scratched Backs (Joy de Vivre).
The Sprigs : Top Soil (No Label).
Club Moral : Selected Recordings (Vinyl On Demand)
Quest : A Quarter (Taalem)
Current 93 : If A City Is Set Upon A Hill (House Of Mythology)
Dieter Muh : Hanging The Blind Dog (Hanson)
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Namahs wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:22 pm Atrophist - Untitled (In Honour Of St. Olga Of Kiev)
Wow!!!! Sounds like the audio equivalent of the battle of Iskorosten!!!!
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

DISSO - Cap Varela CS (Second Sleep)
CHRIS FRATESI - Stunad CS (Lake Shark Harsh Noise)
MERCURY HALL - Night Calls CS (Second Sleep)
MOT & VIOLENT SHOGUN - Mangle CS (out next month on AE)
PHAUSS / KARKOWSKI / BILTING CD (Silent)