Getting your music to labels

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
dertodesking
Contact Mic

Getting your music to labels

Post by dertodesking »

Hey, I'd like to know what's your approaches when reaching out to labels with your music in the hopes of getting it released by them.

Is there a "proper" way to do it these days? Is there some do's and don'ts that anyone new to this should be aware of.

Do some of you have specific stories about how you got your music eventually released or even cautionary tales? ha!

I know some people have labels on here. You could share some insights on this as well.

Thanks!
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Re: Getting your music to labels

Post by holy ghost »

I’d wager there are multiple good ways but messaging out of the blue on bandcamp and your first message is “split?” or “looking to release a tape on your label” is not the right way to do it.
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

It works the same way as basic human interactions.

Send physical releases you made yourself to a real postal address with a nice letter.

Don't spam email inboxes with unpersonal emails and links to MP3s.

Basically, show respect and care and you'll get some back, even if the reply is negative.

Expect to be frustrated too, but keep trying. Ask artists or labels you like for trades, build connections, etc.
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
housepig
Thrashmaster

Post by housepig »

Realize that most labels are run by one person doing everything for that label, and it's a labor of love, not their day job. They are doing it on top of everything else - job, family, friends, their own artistic endeavors, etc - they have in their life, during the time they can spare. Keep in mind they already have earmarked some of that label time for artists they are already passionate about and have already committed to.

With all that in mind, remember that your expectations for a timeline of response in any form will not match up exactly with their timeline. You send one package and a nice intro letter; they may have received that in a box of 50 others, so it's going to take time to get around to checking yours out. Be more patient than you think you should, and don't have hard feelings if you don't hear back for a long time.

I can say for sure one of the things that makes me NOT interested in working with an artist is to be badgered about whether I've listened to their submission. In the best of times, I'm glacially slow with releases - emailing me every week to see what I thought of your demo is not putting me in a good frame of mind to check it out.
New Forces
Hard Panning

Post by New Forces »

Release your own music in physical editions and make it so interesting/compelling/"good" that people have no choice but to eventually start paying attention to what you're doing. There's so much music out there, it can be hard to cut through the "static" (pun intended). I barely have enough time to listen to the music I purchase, much less the stuff that's sent to me. It's nothing personal. There's a reason that most long-running and high quality labels started with people self-releasing their own music.
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene
dertodesking
Contact Mic

Post by dertodesking »

Remi wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:27 am It works the same way as basic human interactions.

Send physical releases you made yourself to a real postal address with a nice letter.

Don't spam email inboxes with unpersonal emails and links to MP3s.

Basically, show respect and care and you'll get some back, even if the reply is negative.

Expect to be frustrated too, but keep trying. Ask artists or labels you like for trades, build connections, etc.
Yes! It makes sense to present your work in the best light possible. To have a nice package to present shows how much you care and beleive in your projet. And yes, presenting yourself is as important. I feel that basic manners and respect is hard to come by these days but it can make a world difference!

Thanks for your reply!
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

I’ve had good experiences by simply contacting people via PM on forums like this, and asking them if they’d be willing to listen to a demo or a few tracks. Don’t be pushy, and have some kind of an awareness who is it that you’re talking to.

Also, method of delivery. It pays to suggest something, (WeTransfer or whatever) but be prepared to use something else if they say they prefer it.

I always try to remember to make the point that if they like what I send them, great, but also if they feel like like it’s not their cup of tea, that’s fine too, and I won’t take it personally.

Also remember that there’s a difference between being polite and appreciative, and being a doormat. If someone respond rudely or is otherwise an asshole, by all means feel free to cease associating with them. Obviously I don’t suggest insulting or picking a fight with them, more like just write them off and forget about them. And preferably let your fellow artists know about it too.
dertodesking
Contact Mic

Post by dertodesking »

housepig wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:45 am Realize that most labels are run by one person doing everything for that label, and it's a labor of love, not their day job. They are doing it on top of everything else - job, family, friends, their own artistic endeavors, etc - they have in their life, during the time they can spare. Keep in mind they already have earmarked some of that label time for artists they are already passionate about and have already committed to.

With all that in mind, remember that your expectations for a timeline of response in any form will not match up exactly with their timeline. You send one package and a nice intro letter; they may have received that in a box of 50 others, so it's going to take time to get around to checking yours out. Be more patient than you think you should, and don't have hard feelings if you don't hear back for a long time.

I can say for sure one of the things that makes me NOT interested in working with an artist is to be badgered about whether I've listened to their submission. In the best of times, I'm glacially slow with releases - emailing me every week to see what I thought of your demo is not putting me in a good frame of mind to check it out.
Yeah, I guess it must be hard for younger artists to understand this in an era where everything is instant and at the tip of your fingers.

Having a family myself plus a day job it's even hard to take time for myself to make music. I have to plan it in advance in my schedule.

I don't have a record label but I can relate to getting harassed by clients over and over. It happened to me quiet often when I was working as a tattoo artist and doing freelance illustrations.

Thanks for your input. Really appreciate it!
dertodesking
Contact Mic

Post by dertodesking »

Atrophist wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:46 pm I’ve had good experiences by simply contacting people via PM on forums like this, and asking them if they’d be willing to listen to a demo or a few tracks. Don’t be pushy, and have some kind of an awareness who is it that you’re talking to.

Also, method of delivery. It pays to suggest something, (WeTransfer or whatever) but be prepared to use something else if they say they prefer it.

I always try to remember to make the point that if they like what I send them, great, but also if they feel like like it’s not their cup of tea, that’s fine too, and I won’t take it personally.

Also remember that there’s a difference between being polite and appreciative, and being a doormat. If someone respond rudely or is otherwise an asshole, by all means feel free to cease associating with them. Obviously I don’t suggest insulting or picking a fight with them, more like just write them off and forget about them. And preferably let your fellow artists know about it too.
That's good to know that some people are open to listening even if you don't have an elaborate promo package to offer. Also I agree that if someone is disrespectful towards you, you shouldn't just take it because you really wanna work with them. It's just gonna open the door more abuse in the future.

Thanks buddy for your insight!
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Before sending anything, take a look/listen to the stuff the label has released before to see if you're a fit. Labels are also not infallible as well. Just because you get a rejection, it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. It could be that the label already has a ton of submissions they're putting out. Or that they're just more into something else than what you're doing.

Personally I listen to everything sent my way whether it's over the internet or physical, but some folks are more strict. I'd recommend putting out your own stuff on physical edition in good quality just in case. AAD has a really great deal on helping folks do that right now. I'd recommend taking them up on it.
dertodesking
Contact Mic

Post by dertodesking »

33033 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:58 pm Before sending anything, take a look/listen to the stuff the label has released before to see if you're a fit. Labels are also not infallible as well. Just because you get a rejection, it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. It could be that the label already has a ton of submissions they're putting out. Or that they're just more into something else than what you're doing.

Personally I listen to everything sent my way whether it's over the internet or physical, but some folks are more strict. I'd recommend putting out your own stuff on physical edition in good quality just in case. AAD has a really great deal on helping folks do that right now. I'd recommend taking them up on it.
Yeah it pays to do your homeworks for sure. It's not even a chore, you get to discover loads of new music in the process haha!

I don't know AAD. Could you send me a link so I can check it out?

Thanks! :)
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

New Forces wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:25 am Release your own music in physical editions
This is step A 1.0. Do this before you start writing long and polite letters with links in the bottom. You'll find you might not need any guidebooks on how to approach labels, and you will also learn about the work that goes into releasing a tape or CDR or whichever format.