Dislikes and turnoffs

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Crimesofthecrown777
Contact Mic

Re: Dislikes and turnoffs

Post by Crimesofthecrown777 »

New Forces wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:34 am One big one for me is watching a PE act scream menacingly into a microphone during a live set while the vocals are completely inaudible over the PA. Incredible how often this happens.
The classique! Hahahahahahaha this shit me and Sam never ever stop laughing about.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Releases advertised with the tagline: "Buy now or cry later."
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

SS1535 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:49 pm Releases advertised with the tagline: "Buy now or cry later."
Yeah, weirdly enough missing out on a release had never made me cry
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

adult human wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:28 pm
SS1535 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:49 pm Releases advertised with the tagline: "Buy now or cry later."
Yeah, weirdly enough missing out on a release had never made me cry
Especially not those ones!
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

Poor dubbing...

Waiting weeks for a European tape to make it to a distro stateside, then waiting a week or two for it to get to your doorstep, only to jam side A which is amazing, flip to side B and only the left/right channel dubbed properly or vice versa...

Fuck me, THE most frustrating experience. Do you request a refund from the distro, contact the label? Do you just eat it and bite your tongue?

(*Happens with domestic releases also, most recent case just happened to be from overseas).
leuksi
Hard Panning

Post by leuksi »

Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:22 pm Fuck me, THE most frustrating experience. Do you request a refund from the distro, contact the label? Do you just eat it and bite your tongue?
Maybe both? I guess the distro is responsible for the refund and would (and should) contact the label about it anyways, but I would definitely appreciate feedback if any of my dubs were shit. It sucks if a crappy dub slips through without me noticing it, and then I hear about it like 9 months later on some random occasion. Has happened before and that has made me much more careful with the dubs I do.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

leuksi wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:14 am
Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:22 pm Fuck me, THE most frustrating experience. Do you request a refund from the distro, contact the label? Do you just eat it and bite your tongue?
Maybe both? I guess the distro is responsible for the refund and would (and should) contact the label about it anyways, but I would definitely appreciate feedback if any of my dubs were shit. It sucks if a crappy dub slips through without me noticing it, and then I hear about it like 9 months later on some random occasion. Has happened before and that has made me much more careful with the dubs I do.
Distros are responsible for the replacement (or refund) to the buyer and labels are responsible for replacement copies, master files for the distro to re-dub with, or refund/credit to the distro. Replacement/re-dub options are always preferred so that the bad tapes are removed from circulation and the material gets its rightful due.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Mattias Gustafsson
Contact Mic

Post by Mattias Gustafsson »

leuksi wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:14 am
Yeah just contact the label and I’m sure you will be replaced by a new copy or a download so you can dub it yourself if you would prefer that.
My experience is that if you dubbing tapes in real time with a few chained cassette decks it happens from time to time. I have read others that has the same problems and
I don’t know why that happens. Even if I have changed tape decks, amplifiers etc. So I always check the tapes but I don’t listens to them right through so I guess that can happen.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Brown packing tape. How am I supposed to find the seams of the package when I'm trying to safely cut it open?

Also, bubble wrap taped with anything other than scotch tape.

And packing tape affixed to plastic record sleeves.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
+hp+
Hard Panning

Post by +hp+ »

i hate it when performers sit down for their set like they are at the dinner table or typing a school paper
its like you can't be arsed to stand for eight minutes, come on
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

+hp+ wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:45 pm i hate it when performers sit down for their set like they are at the dinner table or typing a school paper
Haha, fair enough. It's a strange peeve but hey, that's what this thread is for. I am mostly a sitter though some performances require standing or movement, so not always. It generally allows me to relax into the set a bit more than standing up which I'd like to think leads to better results. More critically, and truly I don't mean this in a shady way at all, my interests in noise and live music overall have moved on from wanting to see or deliver displays of wild, rock n roll energy, as fun as that is. I have spent a lot of time around boys thrashing around with guitars and now I'm old/grumpy I find myself more interested in the things that separate noise etc from all that.
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

+hp+ wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:45 pm i hate it when performers sit down for their set like they are at the dinner table or typing a school paper
Have you considered the possibility that it may be uncomfortable or downright impossible for them to perform standing up?

I’ve played all my live shows standing until now, but I’ve recently made the decision that from now on I will be performing sitting down. I have not one but several physical disabilities, and I’m not as young as I used to be. Not that any of us are,or ever will be, but anyway.
+hp+
Hard Panning

Post by +hp+ »

Atrophist wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:25 pm
Have you considered the possibility that it may be uncomfortable or downright impossible for them to perform standing up?
well, no i hadn't
i don't personally think its right to deplatform, gatekeep or discriminate against differently abled people or olds

but if you are just sitting cause you don't care about rock n' roll anymore then i still think you should stand, or laying/rolling around on the ground is fine too
Knifedoutofexistence
C20

Post by Knifedoutofexistence »

Clive Henry playing a sat down set at a show I did for him years ago in Bournemouth was probably the most uncomfortable set I’ve ever seen. Much more unsettling than anyone I’ve had yelling in my face and pushing people around. Rummaging in a little cardboard box of electronics on his lap, hissing and grunting away with contact mics in his mouth. Still feels unpleasant thinking about it all these years later.
Vast Field Magnetism
C20

Post by Vast Field Magnetism »

Dilloway would like to have a word with you:

https://youtu.be/PYD4szcNGEA
_TS_
C20

Post by _TS_ »

I can deal with performers sitting down. What I really dislike is when the audience is sitting down. Gives me bad "academic" vibes.
To og to, det ene mot det andre: inn i denne strid fødes vi, med spiren til død i oss...

Forflatning - https://cloisterrecordingsus.bandcamp.c ... orflatning
Kropper Uten Mellomrom - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Z39KUtxC0
SafetyPropaganda
Contact Mic

Re: Dislikes and instant turnoffs

Post by SafetyPropaganda »

chryptusrecords wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:06 pm
Atrophist wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:55 pm ”fascism” seems misunderstood. To me it simply seems like an extreme form of provocation and transgression. But as in really provocative and transgressive, kinda like the upside down crosses that are now mandatory on the covers of metal albums were ahocking 40 years ago.
this framing is a "turnoff" for me to be honest. if you're gonna flirt with right-wing shit just admit that that's what you are or stop playing with it. if you want to be "provocative" you shouldnt get mad when someone thinks you're a nazi or a pedophile or whatever. own your shit. fascism might seem transgressive when you live in a social-democratic european country but i would challenge any of these people to come live in USA where cops regularly kill people in the street and in their own homes for no reason, it's not cool and brutal and transgressive, fascism is NORMATIVE and reinforces capitalism always.
This is an incredibly reductive viewpoint. Fascism was a historical moment in the mode of production that was destroyed at the end of the 2nd world was. The US is not a fascist state, it is a liberal capitalist state at a deeply decadent, contradictory, and YES authoritarian moment in the mode of production. This is also not exclusive to the US, as most EU states too are riddled in contradictions, militarism, and insane ideological justifications that are also consistent with rot in the economic order. When people do stuff like this, when they point to all bad things as consistent with FASCISM, they are tacitly admitting that they don't think liberal democracy is a system also capable of its own authoritarian tendencies. The ruling class doesn't need a fascist state anymore, and the ruling order doesn't justify itself through claims of "blood and soil" or the glories of national identity, it justifies itself through the ideology of multiculturalism. It's a lie, of course, but sorry bro. It's just liberalism. It sucks.

You also seem to be unaware of the fact that your revulsion to Grunt and Bizarre Uproar is actually a validation that what they do does indeed still wield the power to shock and repel. It wouldn't function as art if there weren't a few out there totally disgusted by it.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Man that Bizarre Uproar book is hella gross. I’m not like “offended” by it but after it arrived I was like “I gotta pick a hobby that is more normal”.
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

+hp+ wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:56 pm

but if you are just sitting cause you don't care about rock n' roll anymore then i still think you should stand, or laying/rolling around on the ground is fine too
I don’t think noise should be thought of as a subgenre of ”rock” music or as popular music in general. For me still believing in the rock’n’roll dream in the 21st Century would come with such spiritual baggage and cognitive dissonance that I would be suicidal within days.

But if you feel differently, that’s fine too. Please don’t take this as a personal attack or challenge.
W.K.
C20

Post by W.K. »

holy ghost wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:53 pm Man that Bizarre Uproar book is hella gross. I’m not like “offended” by it but after it arrived I was like “I gotta pick a hobby that is more normal”.
Haha seems like B.U. achieved their goal!
chryptusrecords
Hard Panning

Post by chryptusrecords »

SafetyPropaganda wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:09 pm

this framing is a "turnoff" for me to be honest. if you're gonna flirt with right-wing shit just admit that that's what you are or stop playing with it. if you want to be "provocative" you shouldnt get mad when someone thinks you're a nazi or a pedophile or whatever. own your shit. fascism might seem transgressive when you live in a social-democratic european country but i would challenge any of these people to come live in USA where cops regularly kill people in the street and in their own homes for no reason, it's not cool and brutal and transgressive, fascism is NORMATIVE and reinforces capitalism always.
This is an incredibly reductive viewpoint. Fascism was a historical moment in the mode of production that was destroyed at the end of the 2nd world was. The US is not a fascist state, it is a liberal capitalist state at a deeply decadent, contradictory, and YES authoritarian moment in the mode of production. This is also not exclusive to the US, as most EU states too are riddled in contradictions, militarism, and insane ideological justifications that are also consistent with rot in the economic order. When people do stuff like this, when they point to all bad things as consistent with FASCISM, they are tacitly admitting that they don't think liberal democracy is a system also capable of its own authoritarian tendencies. The ruling class doesn't need a fascist state anymore, and the ruling order doesn't justify itself through claims of "blood and soil" or the glories of national identity, it justifies itself through the ideology of multiculturalism. It's a lie, of course, but sorry bro. It's just liberalism. It sucks.

You also seem to be unaware of the fact that your revulsion to Grunt and Bizarre Uproar is actually a validation that what they do does indeed still wield the power to shock and repel. It wouldn't function as art if there weren't a few out there totally disgusted by it.
bro are you serious?? go write more columns for forbes magazine. every time you post you embarass yourself. we literally already had this argument in this thread. did you forget?? fuck off. i love bizarre uproar lol. you got converted to fascism by trump.

edit:
SafetyPropaganda wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:09 pm US is not a fascist state, it is a liberal capitalist state [...], When people do stuff like this, when they point to all bad things as consistent with FASCISM, they are tacitly admitting that they don't think liberal democracy is a system also capable of its own authoritarian tendencies.
yeah and I literally said USA is a fascist state. if YOU call it "liberal," i don't care. i don't see how i'm "tacitly admitting" i don't think liberalism is bad. i'm explicitly saying the exact opposite. either you agree with my contention that USA is a repressive authoritarian system or you don't. if you don't agree you're wrong. if you do agree but think it's some kind of "liberal" repression you're also wrong.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

holy ghost wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:53 pm Man that Bizarre Uproar book is hella gross. I’m not like “offended” by it but after it arrived I was like “I gotta pick a hobby that is more normal”.
Is this the book he did with Siikala?
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

Atrophist wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:55 pm ”fascism” seems misunderstood. To me it simply seems like an extreme form of provocation and transgression. But as in really provocative and transgressive, kinda like the upside down crosses that are now mandatory on the covers of metal albums were ahocking 40 years ago.

You don't come off as smart nor provocative with such rhetoric drivel, even more when a lot of people here know who you are and where you come from, or when you are stating the obvious regarding Grunt and BU (although they're gross because they're gross, not because they're provocative. Babies play with their turds, my cats do too.) Life isn't black and white like your lame arguments, people aren't as stupid as you think they are, there are safer ways to get attention from people as well as other places online to keep playing that boring edgelord game, and maybe that's where you should be heading to.
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
SafetyPropaganda
Contact Mic

Post by SafetyPropaganda »

Remi wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:09 am

You don't come off as smart nor provocative with such rhetoric drivel, even more when a lot of people here know who you are and where you come from, or when you are stating the obvious regarding Grunt and BU (although they're gross because they're gross, not because they're provocative. Babies play with their turds, my cats do too.) Life isn't black and white like your lame arguments, people aren't as stupid as you think they are, there are safer ways to get attention from people as well as other places online to keep playing that boring edgelord game, and maybe that's where you should be heading to.

LMAO! Yes. The guy accusing me of a black/white worldview is defending the guy who thinks everything political he doesn't like is fascism.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

No reverb on vocals.
Merch company projects - more time spent on "cool merch designs" than actual releases (lots of genres are guilty of this)
Overt snobbery. The WCN podcast with Sam McKinlay where he talks about noise just being another art form. Perfectly captured what I've been thinking around that! I mean realistically when I hear a distorted guitar I like the guitar AND the distortion. I can listen to guitar apart from distortion, so why not be interested in distortion apart from the guitar?