THE DREADED GEAR THREAD

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Re: THE DREADED GEAR THREAD

Post by Residual / RT »

Just traded my 0-coast for a minilogue XD. anyone have one? i've needed a basic polysynth for pads and stuff since i sold my ms2000 a few years ago, but the custom digital oscillators look pretty interesting.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
diazepam
Blank Tape

Post by diazepam »

anyone using a Korg MS-10?
just bought one, and I'm really amazed how great it is, from deep drones to synthwave, from full blast noise to percussion sounds.
still a lot to discover for me, if you have tips...
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Residual / RT wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:22 am Just traded my 0-coast for a minilogue XD. anyone have one? i've needed a basic polysynth for pads and stuff since i sold my ms2000 a few years ago, but the custom digital oscillators look pretty interesting.
Dont personally own one but bandmate has one. Really like to mess around with it when he leaves it at the rehearsal room.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

diazepam wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:09 am anyone using a Korg MS-10?
just bought one, and I'm really amazed how great it is, from deep drones to synthwave, from full blast noise to percussion sounds.
still a lot to discover for me, if you have tips...
No but I really want one, was unfairly skipped by someone selling one online for 400 euros. Still salty about it.
+hp+
Hard Panning

Post by +hp+ »

violentgrief wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:28 pm I got a lot of my early gear advice from Matt (MiseryEngine) and have spent a lot of time working with the Novation Bass Station II and Roland SP-404A over the past year.
the "afx mode" on the BS2 is like the coolest synth feature in the universe, probably making it the most Powerful monosynth Ever, especially when paired with an outboard sequencer or/and used as an effect.

what i've been obsessed with for the last couple years are cheap (like 30 bucks or less) chinese fuzz and distortion pedals. some of my favorites are the sonicake fazy cream, the sharkchili/cuvave fuzz, joyo voodoo octave that was mentioned earlier, donner metal head(SO EXTREME), behringer SUPER FUZZ (the boost with high and low eq is soooo good)

also those tiny danelectro "food series" pedals are awesome and you can get most of them new in box for like 40 USD, black coffee and french toast are particularly excellent
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

+hp+ wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:05 pm
violentgrief wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:28 pm I got a lot of my early gear advice from Matt (MiseryEngine) and have spent a lot of time working with the Novation Bass Station II and Roland SP-404A over the past year.
the "afx mode" on the BS2 is like the coolest synth feature in the universe, probably making it the most Powerful monosynth Ever, especially when paired with an outboard sequencer or/and used as an effect.

what i've been obsessed with for the last couple years are cheap (like 30 bucks or less) chinese fuzz and distortion pedals. some of my favorites are the sonicake fazy cream, the sharkchili/cuvave fuzz, joyo voodoo octave that was mentioned earlier, donner metal head(SO EXTREME), behringer SUPER FUZZ (the boost with high and low eq is soooo good)

also those tiny danelectro "food series" pedals are awesome and you can get most of them new in box for like 40 USD, black coffee and french toast are particularly excellent
I have that Joyo Voodoo Octave also. Filthy as hell haha!
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Namahs wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:07 pm behringer SUPER FUZZ
$50 for a knock off that sounds great with a cool orange case vs $500 for an OG. I’m sold man….
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

That Superfuzz is indeed pretty awesome, especially that weird switch sweet spot. I only wish I could rehouse mine in a metal box but don't want to tear the pedal apart.
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Remi wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:31 pm That Superfuzz is indeed pretty awesome, especially that weird switch sweet spot. I only wish I could rehouse mine in a metal box but don't want to tear the pedal apart.
Pepers Pedals makes a Hyper Fuzz clone called Humongous Fuzz with that third mode accessible via a toggle (and an HM-2 EQ you can blend in). It’s fucking awesome. And a clean blend (if that’s your sort of thing).
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

Thanks for the heads up about that clone!

I have a Superfuzz clone kit almost finished but it needs some resistors with weird values I can't find anywhere 😕
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
thatonekidatshows
C20

Post by thatonekidatshows »

I just picked up a Quadraverb. I have mixed feelings about synthetic reverb in noise music, but maybe this could reveal some interesting sonic territory to me. Just messing around to become acquainted with it (having not yet read the manual), though, I got some neat sounds, so we'll see what happens.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Found a dirt cheap Digitech Death Metal and bought it. Had a quick testrun with it this morning while waiting to pick up a friend from a hospital. Surprisingly filthy sounds.
Zalhietzli
Hard Panning

Post by Zalhietzli »

Namahs wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:37 am Found a dirt cheap Digitech Death Metal and bought it. Had a quick testrun with it this morning while waiting to pick up a friend from a hospital. Surprisingly filthy sounds.
Good for you ! Even the Digitech ones seems to be ramping up in prices, plus one has never too many Death Metal.
thatonekidatshows wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:08 pm I just picked up a Quadraverb. I have mixed feelings about synthetic reverb in noise music, but maybe this could reveal some interesting sonic territory to me. Just messing around to become acquainted with it (having not yet read the manual), though, I got some neat sounds, so we'll see what happens.
Just my opinion : don't get too hung up on the whole analog vs digital thing. If it sounds good, it sounds good. Plus digital gear can sound absolutely fucking nasty if you circuit bend them right.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Zalhietzli wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:05 am
Namahs wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:37 am Found a dirt cheap Digitech Death Metal and bought it. Had a quick testrun with it this morning while waiting to pick up a friend from a hospital. Surprisingly filthy sounds.
Good for you ! Even the Digitech ones seems to be ramping up in prices, plus one has never too many Death Metal.
I've noticed the same. Havent seen too many of digitech or dod death metals for sale here but usually they go for at least 60euros and up. This one was 30euros so didnt spend too much time thinking haha
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

I have two Digitech death metals and a Digitech Grunge, all bought locally for 10€ a piece. I don't really like them. They don't really sound like the DOD counterparts, they're basically just shitty distortion pedals. I would not pay much for one, and would sell off mine if it was worth the effort.
thatonekidatshows wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:08 pm I just picked up a Quadraverb. I have mixed feelings about synthetic reverb in noise music, but maybe this could reveal some interesting sonic territory to me. Just messing around to become acquainted with it (having not yet read the manual), though, I got some neat sounds, so we'll see what happens.
Yo just because it's digital don't mean it's not awesome. Awesome lofi FX (20 bits, Midiverbs are 16 bit and sound even better) and you can drive the analog preamp hot with pre-gain. Also how are you going to get longer reverbs in analog anyway? A room sized plate? It's one of the best FX units for noise IMO, love mine and will buy a back up unit when I can find one locally.
thatonekidatshows
C20

Post by thatonekidatshows »

Zalhietzli wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:05 am Just my opinion : don't get too hung up on the whole analog vs digital thing. If it sounds good, it sounds good. Plus digital gear can sound absolutely fucking nasty if you circuit bend them right.
Residual / RT wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:16 am Yo just because it's digital don't mean it's not awesome. Awesome lofi FX (20 bits, Midiverbs are 16 bit and sound even better) and actual analog preamp that you can drive hot with pre-gain. It's one of the best FX units for noise IMO, love mine and will buy a back up unit when I can find one locally.
Oh, for sure. I don't discriminate against digital effects of any sort. The Quadraverb sounds great as a reverb unit! What I meant by "synthetic reverb" in noise is really just any added reverb effect that isn't already naturally present in the space in which it is recorded. I really got the Quadraverb more for techno and maybe some other projects, but I figured I should at least try using it for noise. :)
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

Ah, I personally love those older digital rack units for noise. They sound synthetic yeah, but not clean like modern VST's and stuff like Eventide etc. Just full of character. Otherwordly, even. But yeah, room sound is different, depends on what you want.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Residual / RT wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:16 am I have two Digitech death metals and a Digitech Grunge, all bought locally for 10€ a piece. I don't really like them. They don't really sound like the DOD counterparts, they're basically just shitty distortion pedals. I would not pay much for one, and would sell off mine if it was worth the effort.
Damn thats cheap. Hit me up if you want to part ways with that grunge. Been bit interested with those.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

Namahs wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:37 am
Residual / RT wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:16 am I have two Digitech death metals and a Digitech Grunge, all bought locally for 10€ a piece. I don't really like them. They don't really sound like the DOD counterparts, they're basically just shitty distortion pedals. I would not pay much for one, and would sell off mine if it was worth the effort.
Damn thats cheap. Hit me up if you want to part ways with that grunge. Been bit interested with those.
I can sell it if you ever come to Helsinki and pick it up. I would suggest getting a DOD Carcosa if you want a great noise pedal for cheap. 60 euros and I rank it as highly as the old pedals.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Residual / RT wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:47 am
Namahs wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:37 am
I can sell it if you ever come to Helsinki and pick it up. I would suggest getting a DOD Carcosa if you want a great noise pedal for cheap. 60 euros and I rank it as highly as the old pedals.
Gotta check that out. I'll keep this in my mind next time coming to Helsinki.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

If you know me (maybe you know me?) you’ll know that I love and adore the DOD Death Metal. I like it more on bass that I do for noise but hey we’re all friends here - Dunn Effects released their hot take today with a gain knob. Looks amazing! Their IG says only a few left of their run of 50 (I bought one!)

https://www.dunneffects.com/product/modded-fx86

Dirt Monger Effects doing on too - looks hella sick.

https://dirtmongerinstruments.com/produ ... eath-metal
Schud017
Contact Mic

Post by Schud017 »

I have the Quadraverb 2 and it has some pretty sweet presets (not sure how similar the two are). I've got a lot of cool effects from it, both subtle and not so subtle.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

Schud017 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:01 pm
I have the Quadraverb 2 and it has some pretty sweet presets (not sure how similar the two are). I've got a lot of cool effects from it, both subtle and not so subtle.
QV2 sounds quite different from the first iteration. Much cleaner, losing the character that makes a QV worth having when you can get any FX as VST or cheap pedal.

I also like the Zoom MS-70 CDR a lot. It has a similar lofi sound as the QV, but is much more advanced.
Schud017
Contact Mic

Post by Schud017 »

I'm looking for drum machines recommendations. I have a volca drum and it's not totally doing it for me. It'd be nice to have something with a little more oomph to it. I've real about the Roland TR 909 and Alesis SR16. Thoughts?
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

Schud017 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:24 pm I'm looking for drum machines recommendations. I have a volca drum and it's not totally doing it for me. It'd be nice to have something with a little more oomph to it. I've real about the Roland TR 909 and Alesis SR16. Thoughts?
TR 909 is digital, fine machine if that's what you're after. SR16 is horrible to program.

I would get one of those Behringer 808's or 909's. Or maybe a drumbrute.