Going to be in the UK... June 19th - July 1st. What's good?

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
Noise Fanatic

Going to be in the UK... June 19th - July 1st. What's good?

Post by 33033 »

What shops should I hit up for noise/experimental? I noticed there's a few specifically "metal" record shops which I will be checking out as well, but is there any that have more of a substantial section for noise/etc? Any shows around this time as well? Anything else that I should check out? I've been before in 2009 saw the Wellcome Collection/Hunterian Museum which were great!
John Eden
Contact Mic

Re: Going to be in the UK... June 19th - July 1st. What's good?

Post by John Eden »

In London?

No especially amazing shops, but Cafe OTO is a good venue in the evening that’s a cafe and shop by day. They sell music and books. A lot of free improv stuff but some noisy/experimental things too. (They have Personal Best zine and some of the Amphetamine Sulphate booklets for example).

Berwick Street in Soho has a couple of decent second hand record shops. Music And Video Exchange has a couple of shops still, I think in Greenwich and Notting Hill.

Touch Records are doing a 40 Years celebration on 24th and 25th of June.
https://twitter.com/touchmusic/status/1 ... -KQ0-9IQ_A
Knifedoutofexistence
C20

Post by Knifedoutofexistence »

Where in the U.K. are you going to be?

Pressing Matters in Hastings is co-run by Steve that used to do Harbinger, there was some cool noise stuff in there the one time I’ve visited so far, and a lot of it reasonably priced.

I’m putting on a show a few days before you get here, and playing another the day before, but if you let me know where you’re going to be based I can let you know of any other shows nearby that I hear of.
W.K.
C20

Post by W.K. »

If you're going to be near Hackney Donlon Books is worth visiting, small little book shop with rare, sold-out and obscure books. Not the cheapest prices but at least worth to take a look around. When I was there they did have a copy of one of the come organization kata zines around, didn't think the content was that interesting to be honest but you don't expect something like that in a bookstore.

https://donlonbooks.com

And if you are into modular synths & stuff you it might be worthwhile giving London Modular a call, I heard they closed the store but their phone number is still available for appointments. Never hurts to seek out.

https://londonmodular.co.uk/pages/contact-us

Not music-related but I thought The Horniman Museum and Gardens was excellent as well, with all the set-up animals and it's collection.
John Eden
Contact Mic

Post by John Eden »

If visiting Donlon you can also check out the site of TG’s Death Factory studios at 10 Martello Street and TOPY HQ at 50 Beck Road. Both are a short walk away.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

John Eden wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:44 pm In London?
It looks like a day or two in London for sure. The final two days or so I will be in Oxfordshire for a wedding. Other than that sort of open. Just have to figure out where is feasible. Heavily considering going to Scotland or Ireland as well.
Knifedoutofexistence wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:29 pm I’m putting on a show a few days before you get here, and playing another the day before, but if you let me know where you’re going to be based I can let you know of any other shows nearby that I hear of.
Damn!

Also thank you all for the input so far. Excited.
Knifedoutofexistence
C20

The shows I’m doing are in Brighton and Reading so both would have been pretty convenient from those places! Bad timing. I’ll pop anything else I hear about on here.

Scotland is great, my partner is currently visiting Edinburgh and I’m getting very jealous seeing the pictures and hearing about it all. I’ve spent a decent amount of time in Ireland, and always have a great time, but think that’s more because of the friends I have there than anything else.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Slightly new plans: heading to Wales now for a few days. I know of Spillers, but any other tips would be greatly appreciated! Also love huge evil castles.
Knifedoutofexistence
C20

Le Pub in Newport is a great venue, the PA is huge, one of my favourite I’ve ever played through, if there’s anything of interest to you happening there whilst you’re in Wales it’d probably be worth checking out. If weird shitty seaside towns are your thing (they’re certainly mine), Barry Island is incredible. Grab a slush puppy and some chips, push some pennies and soak up the tourist tat seaside freak show.
John Eden
Contact Mic

Post by John Eden »

Travel between North Wales and South Wales is very difficult.

Spillers is in Cardiff which is in the South. Cardiff also has a decent castle but Conwy and Caernarfon in the north are spookier.

The North also has the excellently named Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch. There was a long-standing but unfulfilled plan for London percussion noisters Headbutt to record a live tape there.