Likes and Turn-ons

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Fire of the Mind
Contact Mic

Re: Likes and Turn-ons

Post by Fire of the Mind »

- Multiple different layers of activity, some of which may be independently identified and focused upon but which overall overwhelm or suffocate the listener.
- Truly tactile sound in general, what feels like I could reach out and touch it, whether or not that might be dangerous.
- On the opposite end of the spectrum, incredibly tense minimalism which threatens constantly to explode into terrible violence.
- Vocals which genuinely sound like someone is having a very bad time, scarcely sound human, or both.
- Screechy high frequencies, especially when used as drones; conversely, also abyssal, earthshaking lows.
- The use of melodic or harmonic elements where it feels like a memory being dredged up as much if not more than something you're actually hearing.
- Seconding an earlier point: Ominous aesthetics and themes which suggest something that you can't entirely put your finger on.
- The sound of tape being rewound, of damaged or oversaturated playback, where you can hear the medium itself and its degradation.
- An overall sense of ritual or performance, of something happening for reasons I don't fully understand but clearly with a purpose.
- Nightmarishness. Literal nightmarishness.
Touch Starved
C20

Post by Touch Starved »

SS1535 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:49 pm
Touch Starved wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:30 am - Animal rights & anti-speciesist noise
Aside from Merzbow, who would you suggest for this? (I like this theme too!)
Sorry for the late answer haha, I really don’t know a lot of projects with themes surrounding animal rights, aside from Merzbow the ones that come to mind are POTR which was a project by Sam Stoxen of Phage tapes (I think?), and an early knifedoutofexistence tape called ”Consuming Death”

I definitely want to hear more of that stuff, if anyone knows more please let me know!
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Touch Starved wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:36 pm
SS1535 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:49 pm
Touch Starved wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:30 am - Animal rights & anti-speciesist noise
Aside from Merzbow, who would you suggest for this? (I like this theme too!)
Sorry for the late answer haha, I really don’t know a lot of projects with themes surrounding animal rights, aside from Merzbow the ones that come to mind are POTR which was a project by Sam Stoxen of Phage tapes (I think?), and an early knifedoutofexistence tape called ”Consuming Death”

I definitely want to hear more of that stuff, if anyone knows more please let me know!
No worries! I will check out those releases/projects. I guess this might really be the uncrossable taboo for most noise/power electronics!
Knifedoutofexistence
C20

Post by Knifedoutofexistence »

Strangled Cop is vegan straight edge PE, that’s definitely got animal rights stuff in it.

Consuming Death was the very first tape I did as Knifed, very surprised to see that remembered/mentioned!
brick logic
Sound Art

Post by brick logic »

WORTH
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Knifedoutofexistence wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:21 pm Strangled Cop is vegan straight edge PE, that’s definitely got animal rights stuff in it.
Thanks!
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Dave Phillips = very much on the animal rights/veganism tip. Sorry if this has already been mentioned. It seems so obvious to me now but took me ages to realise! I'm sure there are a lot of casual releases related to such things in the world of noise and PE but it's certainly harder to think of projects that take it as a central theme in all/most of their work. As much as I am wholeheartedly onboard with those ideas in life and in art, I really don't want to hear samples of slaughter houses or abattoirs and so on, despite how effective they'd no doubt be if used correctly.
Ascitic
Blank Tape

Post by Ascitic »

-high pitched frequencies, high end abuse, feedback etc. Mids and lows are great, but I want my ears to bleed
-lots of dynamics and changes, noise thst sounds fast and frantic
-high production quality (I realize this is controversial but I often get tired of low quality recordings, with obvious exceptions)
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Pebble gravel churned slowly under tires so that you hear the granular quality of all the large and small pieces rubbing and crunching together and hard-soled dress shoes snonk-clop-clomping on pavement, ever since I was little.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

adult human wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:47 am I really don't want to hear samples of slaughter houses or abattoirs and so on, despite how effective they'd no doubt be if used correctly.
Those recordings can apparently be so effective that they were included in the Waco sonic weapons!
_TS_
C20

Post by _TS_ »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:58 am Pebble gravel churned slowly under tires so that you hear the granular quality of all the large and small pieces rubbing and crunching together
Fuck yeah. Also snow being compressed by shoes. If the snow is at a specific temperature it makes an almost "rubbery" sound.
To og to, det ene mot det andre: inn i denne strid fødes vi, med spiren til død i oss...

Forflatning - https://cloisterrecordingsus.bandcamp.c ... orflatning
Kropper Uten Mellomrom - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Z39KUtxC0
scumwalski
Contact Mic

Post by scumwalski »

1) Artists who take their art seriously, not in the sense of being full of themselves, but taking the time and putting in the work and honest effort into the sound and presentation.
2) Artists who transcend the run of the mill themes.
3) Contrasts - hi-fi vs. lo-fi, broken/hissy vs. pristine, etc.
thedemonfeedback666
C20

Post by thedemonfeedback666 »

PE with vocals I can understand. No modulation. Distortion is okay, but not so much that I can't understand what you're saying. Xenophobic Ejaculation, Atrax Morgue (yeah, Marco used flanger and shit, but you can understand every awful thing he says lol), Bizarre Uproar, most Grunt & Nicole 12, Final Solution, SJ, WCPC, Whitehouse, Deathpile, Bloodyminded, etc. There are exceptions (Interracial Sex, Straight Panic, GO, etc.), but yeah.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

When I was in school, sometimes teachers would play books on tape by which the class could read along paperback copies of the stories.

The color and texture of saturated voice recordings coming out of a cranked-up shoebox cassette player was great.
+hp+
Hard Panning

Post by +hp+ »

when a harsh noise/pe tape comes with a scented candle that Smells like the audio Sounds
so you can listen to it when you burn the candle
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

+hp+ wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:29 pm when a harsh noise/pe tape comes with a scented candle that Smells like the audio Sounds
so you can listen to it when you burn the candle
I've been thinking about stocking up on some rotting meat-scented candles, actually. >_>
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Using actual microphones instead of contact mics to scrape/bang/etc stuff live. Not that I don't like contact mics, but the actual microphone abuse feels more weighted?
Cementimental
Hard Panning

Post by Cementimental »

Cover art entirely done in MacPaint
cementimental.bandcamp.com - harsh Noise, rough music and circuit bending since 2000ad
disgustingcathedral.bandcamp.com - Dungeon Noise
isntses.bandcamp.com - Intergalactic noise/music
isntses.etsy.com - Psychogeographic noise synths