Cut Up

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Re: Cut Up

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

It's been great to see so much new A Fail Association material released over the last couple of years. The East. V. c10 on Absurd Exposition is a perfect release. Not a second wasted.

I just discovered Boar and I'm extremely impressed, but I need to spend more time digging through the discography. Jut ordered the Endo split and can't wait to hear it on a proper stereo system.

The Ahlzagailzehguh and Pedestrian Deposit comps released recently are flawless. It's absolutely incredible to witness the level of detail and perfectionism achieved by multiple modern artists. I don't know if PD is considered cut-up but a lot of his early work definitely falls into that category.

I also think Spore Spawn doesn't get enough credit, both the Dousekurunode CD on 16 Seconds and the Owaranaikedo tape on New Forces are extremely good.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

I saw Pedestrian Deposit at some point not too long before the pandemic and was blown away. Can't remember exactly what it sounded like, but it was one of the best noise sets I've ever seen.
Boarnoise
Contact Mic

Post by Boarnoise »

Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:20 pm
I also think Spore Spawn doesn't get enough credit, both the Dousekurunode CD on 16 Seconds and the Owaranaikedo tape on New Forces are extremely good.
Ahh spore spawn totally. It’s been a minute since I jammed some. Also scum for sure. Also I know wolf creek were doing some pretty fast pace shit for awhile. Haven’t heard much from them recently
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

The scum material on the split with Unsustainable Social Condition is extremely good. Guy is killing it this year between this and the Endo collab album.

Also, this is one of my favorite covers in years:
Attachments
Necessary Downfall.jpg
Necessary Downfall.jpg (45.55 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:12 pm The scum material on the split with Unsustainable Social Condition is extremely good. Guy is killing it this year between this and the Endo collab album.

Also, this is one of my favorite covers in years:
The very talented artist responsible for that artwork is Francoise Duvivier.
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

parasitenurse wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:44 am
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:53 am
parasitenurse wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:29 pm

there is little on his level imo at least. sickness, facialmess, and kazumoto endo are the obvious go-to’s for cut up aside from developer but in the past few years scum and scathing have really been killing it in the cut up/fast harsh noise realm.
When you say "scum and scathing", do you mean two different projects or just one?

Kazumoto Endo is sick, I'll check out more of his stuff!!!! Already a fan of Sickness, but only heard a couple releases.

Never got into Facialmess for some reason, but I do enjoy Like Weeds A LOT. Go figure.
scum and scathing are two different projects. scum is from japan and scathing is from austin, tx. highly recommend both their new forces tapes. also that new endo/boar split is *so* good. its on bandcamp, came up pretty easily when i searched for it.
Here’s a sample of scum w Gov Alpha
https://youtu.be/SFqtvP3Ag6I
feedbacker
Contact Mic

Post by feedbacker »

I have been thinking about something for the last few months and I don't know if I'm wrong or not, but wouldn't the Octatrack be great for a cut up noise live? It has the function to manipulate any machine input in real time (I can't remember how many inputs though) and the crossfader must be useful to line up all the sounds. For anybody who doesn't know how it works, you can attribute any step of the sequencer - 16x2 steps - to the A-B sections of the fader, and they actually work like a crossfader in the sense that it can transition smoothly or in an instant. Also you can change what step belongs to the A/B sections in real time. It's similar to DAWs, but better because of its immediacy, imo. Also the effects are great and the sequencer should also be interesting for noise, even though I couldn't possibly imagine how (I don't make noise).

I just thought about this because I had one before when a friend lent it to me and I got fascinated mainly with the crossfader. What do you guys think? It's an expensive machine but it sure does a lot.
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

I've seen people do cut-up noise with MPCs and SP404s.

I'm sure you could do the same thing with an Octatrack but the crossfader would hate you after a while (and I wouldn't want to break an Octatrack by going mental on the crossfader, to be quite honest.)
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
parasitenurse
C20

Post by parasitenurse »

feedbacker wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:48 am I have been thinking about something for the last few months and I don't know if I'm wrong or not, but wouldn't the Octatrack be great for a cut up noise live? It has the function to manipulate any machine input in real time (I can't remember how many inputs though) and the crossfader must be useful to line up all the sounds. For anybody who doesn't know how it works, you can attribute any step of the sequencer - 16x2 steps - to the A-B sections of the fader, and they actually work like a crossfader in the sense that it can transition smoothly or in an instant. Also you can change what step belongs to the A/B sections in real time. It's similar to DAWs, but better because of its immediacy, imo. Also the effects are great and the sequencer should also be interesting for noise, even though I couldn't possibly imagine how (I don't make noise).

I just thought about this because I had one before when a friend lent it to me and I got fascinated mainly with the crossfader. What do you guys think? It's an expensive machine but it sure does a lot.
i know a couple people who use the octatrack for cut up. its a wonderful tool for it if you have the skillset and dexterity to operate one of those things. if you do anything with it post some samples, would love to hear what you come up with!
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

I'm interested too! I got an SP404 a few weeks ago and I still struggle to record anything in it and play it back haha 😅
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
feedbacker
Contact Mic

Post by feedbacker »

parasitenurse wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:58 am
feedbacker wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:48 am I have been thinking about something for the last few months and I don't know if I'm wrong or not, but wouldn't the Octatrack be great for a cut up noise live? It has the function to manipulate any machine input in real time (I can't remember how many inputs though) and the crossfader must be useful to line up all the sounds. For anybody who doesn't know how it works, you can attribute any step of the sequencer - 16x2 steps - to the A-B sections of the fader, and they actually work like a crossfader in the sense that it can transition smoothly or in an instant. Also you can change what step belongs to the A/B sections in real time. It's similar to DAWs, but better because of its immediacy, imo. Also the effects are great and the sequencer should also be interesting for noise, even though I couldn't possibly imagine how (I don't make noise).

i know a couple people who use the octatrack for cut up. its a wonderful tool for it if you have the skillset and dexterity to operate one of those things. if you do anything with it post some samples, would love to hear what you come up with!
A friend lent me one a couple of years back, I really liked using it but it was more for sequencing drums and stuff. Wish I had the money to afford one... here in Portugal, online second-hand markets rarely have them, and not for less than 800€ (which isn't bad but I really can't afford it). Maybe one day.
parasitenurse
C20

Post by parasitenurse »

feedbacker wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:19 pm
parasitenurse wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:58 am

A friend lent me one a couple of years back, I really liked using it but it was more for sequencing drums and stuff. Wish I had the money to afford one... here in Portugal, online second-hand markets rarely have them, and not for less than 800€ (which isn't bad but I really can't afford it). Maybe one day.
oh you’re in portugal? keep an eye on your dm’s. ill be in touch.
Ascitic
Blank Tape

Post by Ascitic »

Boarnoise wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:23 pm Hey folks. Alex here. Boar is my project mainly focusing on cutup. Peyote tapes just put out the Boar/Kazumoto Endo 12”(I’ll post the link to that in the new release section sometime soon). I also run a label breaching static which also frequents cutup.

https://boarnoise.bandcamp.com/
https://breachingstatic.bandcamp.com/

Names that I’d like to hear more when cutup is discussed are human fluid rot and mason. Though it might not be ultra panning cutup, shit still flys around for sure. Also TEF and Ahlzagailzehguh. Though mentioned a lot they are some of the best in my opinion.
Super stoked on this forum. Miss the old forum days. FB is really starting to suck. Hope this forum lasts!!!!
I was about to sing your praises in this thread and then saw you in here! Good to see you in here bud.

TEF is the best American cut up imo, but I'm biased
Boar
Developer
AFA
Sickness

I love all things Ahlzagailzughuh but I feel like his work is not always cut up.

Japan
Endo/KB
Facialmess
parasitenurse
C20

Post by parasitenurse »

id like to bring this thread back to life with a little endorsement of a project most of you may already know, flesh shuddering, caleb of cruel symphonies project. i was aware of and had heard a bit of his material some time ago but didnt keep up with releases. i gotta say tho his set at ende tymes blew me away. physical, fast, stuttering cut up with interesting breaks. looking forward to sharing a bill with him soon! truly the future of cut up!

https://cruelsymphonies.bandcamp.com/a ... oked-hound

Mangrum
Blank Tape

Post by Mangrum »

Love all the recommendations in here, thank you! TEF and AFA have both become my hands down favorites in recent years
killhippies
Contact Mic

Post by killhippies »

Cut up is definitely my preferred style of HN to listen to nowadays. Most of the best artists that I know of doing this style have already been listed, so I'll just add that Human Fluid Rot puts on one of the best live performances I've seen. Highly recommended if you get the chance to catch him
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Matt Reis recently posted about this and said it's "Developer's crowning achievement." I'd have to agree. Don't know how I missed it...

https://copyforyourrecords.bandcamp.com ... eveloper-2
aberrantrecordings
Sound Art

Post by aberrantrecordings »

Cut up cut up cut up up cut cut cut cut up up

I need to get a hold of more of the japanese cut up artists and beg them to put out on the label haha
aberrantrecordings.bandcamp.com

aberrantrecordings.com
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

I think my first introduction to "cut up" represented as its own unique subset of HN was Dub Made Flesh by Facialmess. I was an immediate convert!

I feel that, of all the identifiable traits within codified HN sub-genres, those of cut-up harsh noise, particularly that which is fairly far removed from more traditional musique concrete, are probably the hardest to do consistently well in a way that keeps listeners on the edge of their seats, or at least engaged and not spinning their wheels. I feel like it's a style that can't be appreciated in the background, but which needs to be closely paid attention to to get the full effect... Or else be blasted so fucking loud it can't be ignored.

It's far too easy to get trapped in a monochromatic one-note rut that screams out for more tonal variety, or alternatively get so damn busy or overly cinematic and overproduced that some aspect of it becomes irksome in one way or another. I guess in part because it's pretty open to interpretation and personal taste? And even an individual's tastes are often inconsistent.

IDK, I'm day-drunk and rambling again.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

For those using computers to make cut-ups, what programs are you using? I have had some success so far with the one available for download on Jliat's website, but am curious about others.

Of course I would rather be physically cutting up reel-to-reels, but can't currently...
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

FLStudio and GoldWave mainly. I do a lot of "sound collage" and manual micro-editing with GW especially.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:55 pm FLStudio and GoldWave mainly. I do a lot of "sound collage" and manual micro-editing with GW especially.
When you do that with those programs, do you manually cut and rearrange the audio, or are there features available to automate the process? What I enjoy the most about Jliat's program is that it will produce the cut-up automatically once you load your desired source audio. Manual cut-ups, at least with a computer, always make my compositions sound contrived, for some reason---or at least "off" from what I am looking for in my head.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Loooooooong day at work, so sorry to keep it so brief, but there are many options for automation and MIDI control in FLStudio. TBH, I've barely scratched the surface of what is possible, and I'm not sure if it'll do anything quite like jliat's software, but you can definitely make kooky shit happen either way... I mostly just do manual editing in the playlist editor, though.

AFAIK, there's no automation in GW. At least not within the ancient version I've used since high school. It's like a nicer version of audacity that feels a thousand times easier to do nitty-gritty wave editing in, at least for me. But it's definitely not sexy.

I am also still rocking the old standalone version of GranuLab, which can do a lot of chopped up, mangled, cut up effects, though I've yet to figure out how to make it recognize a single MIDI device I've tried out, and most people aren't as keen as I am on manually adjusting individual sliders with a mouse.

PS: So much for brief.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Why is it (for me anyway) that midi may as well be Aramaic? 16 channels that I can never configure correctly. Sometimes I hook everything up, nothing works until an hour later when it all mysteriously works in harmony.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Here is probably a dumb question---is what is called "cut-up" noise made with actual cut ups (as in the Burroughs tradition of physically cutting up tapes or other recordings and then splicing them back together in a new order)? Or is this more of a performance style (in terms of the sounds achieved by the way the noisician alternates between instruments/sounds)?

I only ask because this is not a substyle that I have spent too much time with.