prized possessions

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Petishkeh
Blank Tape

Re: prize possessions

Post by Petishkeh »

Also not a very wild collector and I’m probably buying less noise stuff than ever before in my noise-listening career (lame, I know). This is likely due to the sprawl of my collection and not wanting to have too much stuff. I digress.

I don’t have anything super rare, but some of the releases I have that I cherish off the top of my head are:

Skin Crime boxset

Klinikal Skum stuff, especially “Pulsating” and “Sane=Slave”

The Macro and related reissues that Rodger did. I don’t have them all, but I have quite a few, including those three six-tape Macro boxsets.

Incapacitants - Alchemy Box Is Stupid

All of the Kakerlak tapes I have.

And there are a few more things I’m blanking on. Will update later if I think of them.

These may not necessarily be prize possessions to anyone else, but they are things I am personally really glad to have.
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

WCN wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:49 am Also a 1998 tape by S.P.I.T. called "Bite." S.P.I.T. was a project of Scott Houston of RESPIRATOR, member of BLJ and THRESHOLD OF SLEEP, etc. It's really not very good, but I'm a big fan of the guy's work and curious about his legacy, plus it was on the German label Scrotum Records, so I have fond memories of tracking it down when I moved here and was still romanticizing Germany.
Interesting mention here as I've been spending a lot of time with the BLJ reissues Richard has been putting out and I've found that oftentimes the tapes with Scott and Randi are some of the best material. I haven't looked into Scott's other projects but would be very interested in learning more about what others consider the best releases. I can't imagine a lot of this material is easily available, unfortunately.
WCN
Maniacs Only

Post by WCN »

Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:22 pm
WCN wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:49 am Also a 1998 tape by S.P.I.T. called "Bite." S.P.I.T. was a project of Scott Houston of RESPIRATOR, member of BLJ and THRESHOLD OF SLEEP, etc. It's really not very good, but I'm a big fan of the guy's work and curious about his legacy, plus it was on the German label Scrotum Records, so I have fond memories of tracking it down when I moved here and was still romanticizing Germany.
Interesting mention here as I've been spending a lot of time with the BLJ reissues Richard has been putting out and I've found that oftentimes the tapes with Scott and Randi are some of the best material. I haven't looked into Scott's other projects but would be very interested in learning more about what others consider the best releases. I can't imagine a lot of this material is easily available, unfortunately.
His stuff is pretty hit or miss, but it has a special ugly fucked up atmosphere that I love. “Burst” is absolutely amazing, which I reissued on WCN a few years ago, and he’s on a lot of peak mid 90s BLJ recordings alongside David Gilden, etc. I’ll be interviewing him for the podcast soon, and really looking forward to learning more about his work and those times from him.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Re: prized possessions

Post by Namahs »

I'd like to say my Motörhead collection is my most prized possession.
86 pieces so far. More coming in the mail.
Albums, ep's, singels, live, promos, bootlegs.
Inferno and Motörized signed by Phil Campbell and Mikkey Dee.
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Post by k.p.g »

I love a good rare piece. While I have not been grabbing as much lately due to an upcoming move, some of my favorites include:

Prurient - Devil in Broad Daylight 2xCS
Prurient - African Division CS
Prurient & Aaron Dilloway - Disappearance of the Maya 4xCS
Deathpile - Triumph of Death CS (this one especially means a lot, as I just found it out in the wild, as opposed to a discogs purchase)
MSBR - Fracture of Silence CS
Shredded Nerve - Cruel Intentions LP (special edition)
Watercooler Volume I CDr
Andrew Coltrane 5xCDr set that I could never seem to find on discogs
Lil Ugly Mane - On Doing an Evil Deed Blues 7"
Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
W.K.
C20

Post by W.K. »

@WCN

Yeah totally agree sometimes (if not often...) the context of a release can be more important than the sounds itself.
Emil Corbelli
C20

Post by Emil Corbelli »

WCN wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:40 pm
Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:22 pm
His stuff is pretty hit or miss, but it has a special ugly fucked up atmosphere that I love. “Burst” is absolutely amazing, which I reissued on WCN a few years ago, and he’s on a lot of peak mid 90s BLJ recordings alongside David Gilden, etc. I’ll be interviewing him for the podcast soon, and really looking forward to learning more about his work and those times from him.
I haven't heard it in ages but i remember playing the hell out of his Untitled cassette:

https://www.discogs.com/release/704705- ... r-Untitled

I've been wanting to hear it again for many years. Last time it sold on Discogs was 2007 which I'm almost positive was me as i was always broke. Endless Soulseek searches have came up empty as well. Might be in need of a reissue [wink wink].
Ascitic
Blank Tape

Post by Ascitic »

Texas 3XLP on RRR
Certain "personalized" LPs from a well known American label that had to be obtained in person
Original Incapacitants - DDDD tape on Old Europa that I bought from Stefan forever ago
Original artwork by Richard Ramirez "Becoming Dark" given as a gift for my birthday
Handful of rare BLJ releases
Insurgent - A Call to Arms boxset on HFFL

Off the top of my head
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

AA90FF14-A812-4184-B4AC-6603E1CA2F75.jpeg
AA90FF14-A812-4184-B4AC-6603E1CA2F75.jpeg (95.45 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
sinkhole
Contact Mic

Post by sinkhole »

Difficult to figure out what's a prized possession or not because to some degree most of the noise in this household could go in that category. Well here's a selected bunch that are all on display (not like this obviously, that's where my cat sits most of the time) and makes me happy to see (and listen to).
G R-L
Sound Art

Post by G R-L »

I've got most Coil releases on original vinyl or CD pressing, object fetishism too far really... Favourite is probably Scatology with the covermount Anal Staircase postcard over the black sun.

Broadly noise, but the Robert Haigh 'Cold Pieces' VOD compilation 2LP I really treasure.

Beyond that, probably the various field recording tapes my mum recorded before I was born? Really nice ambiences, and I like that they are functional byproducts rather than commercial releases
Whiteboard Maverick
Contact Mic

Post by Whiteboard Maverick »

A copy of Cosmic Incapacitants on Betley Welcomes Careful Drivers from 1996. Purchased from the old Synaesthesia store here in Melbourne, Australia. An aluminium foil container full of humbugs and lollipops surrounding the cassette.

SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Whiteboard Maverick wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:16 pm A copy of Cosmic Incapacitants on Betley Welcomes Careful Drivers from 1996. Purchased from the old Synaesthesia store here in Melbourne, Australia. An aluminium foil container full of humbugs and lollipops surrounding the cassette.

Did you ever try eating any of the candy?
Whiteboard Maverick
Contact Mic

Post by Whiteboard Maverick »

SS1535 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:23 pm Did you ever try eating any of the candy?
Nah I just fondled it while listening to Incaps.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Whiteboard Maverick wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:19 am
SS1535 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:23 pm Did you ever try eating any of the candy?
Nah I just fondled it while listening to Incaps.
That seems appropriate for a format fetishism thread!
Cementimental
Hard Panning

Post by Cementimental »

Untitled-4.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg (34.2 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
5/8 8track, very kindly sent to me by Dilloway just off the back of some discussion online about 8-track releases :) Alas the pressure pad has perished and the tape got chewed a bit.. need to restore it and also get my 8-track working again :-/
cementimental.bandcamp.com - harsh Noise, rough music and circuit bending since 2000ad
disgustingcathedral.bandcamp.com - Dungeon Noise
isntses.bandcamp.com - Intergalactic noise/music
isntses.etsy.com - Psychogeographic noise synths