Sissy Spacek fun chat thread

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Sissy Spacek fun chat thread

Post by holy ghost »

Just ordered the newest couple of Sissy Spacek discs from Helicopter. Always a fan of the collabs with Jay Randall so I’m particularly interested in these two discs.

Caught them live in 2015 with Mike du Bose on vocals and it was hands down one of my favourite shows EVER.

Here’s my top SS releases - I’d love to hear yours!!

Sissy Spacek – Prismatic Parameter 2xCD. Hands down the best SS release. Weird free jazz/free improvisation with a huge cast of big heavy hitters. I could listen to this one a hundred times over.

Sissy Spacek/Hijokaidan - Entropic. Don’t tell anyone but I bought all three versions of this for the bonus tracks. Dream matchup of two perfect bands.

Sissy Spacek & Smegma - Ballast. I love old and contemporary Smegma but I like contemporary Smegma better when Wiese is teamed up with them. Seems to add just the perfect dynamic. I love the colour scheme of this one.

Trying to narrow down a straight up noisecore release and can’t quite pic a favourite.
Last edited by holy ghost on Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Re: Sissy Spacek hot chat thread

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Their free-jazz/noisecore stuff is my favorite material of theirs. Saw them perform it live in... 2015? 2016? can't remember... but it was my favorite noisecore set ever. They collabed with local free-jazz musicians Wasteland Jazz Unit. Off the top of my head, the only noisecore bands I've seen who matched up to that are Napalm Death is Dead and Penis Geyser.

Corpus and Duration Groups are my favorite albums of theirs like that, but the former is significantly better, imho.
drift
Thrashmaster

Post by drift »

good band, really clear and involving, if that makes sense.

I've seen wiese live, which was fairly good, and I can see him working with smegma. he seemed hyper focused ha.
turn it up!
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:05 am Their free-jazz/noisecore stuff is my favorite material of theirs.
I think the thing about SS is that I’m rarely let down by any of their incarnations. The noisecore set I saw was such a perfect savage FOG style noisecore and I feel like their more experimental/free jazz works have huge depth and never disappoint.

I remember getting a little toasted and yelling “play a fast one you prog rockers” during their set. But I don’t think they were too offended. :)

I also remember thinking the collab with K2 is hella perfect. I feel like I haven’t been able to really keep up with my listening over the last year. I bought that radio 3CD box and I actually don’t know if I’ve cracked it open.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

holy ghost wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:17 pm I think the thing about SS is that I’m rarely let down by any of their incarnations. The noisecore set I saw was such a perfect savage FOG style noisecore and I feel like their more experimental/free jazz works have huge depth and never disappoint.

I remember getting a little toasted and yelling “play a fast one you prog rockers” during their set. But I don’t think they were too offended. :)
That's absolutely hilarious.
I also remember thinking the collab with K2 is hella perfect. I feel like I haven’t been able to really keep up with my listening over the last year. I bought that radio 3CD box and I actually don’t know if I’ve cracked it open.
Haven't gotten around to either of those yet. I already have other noise/pe/industrial artists I'm obsessive with, so I just can't do that with SxSx. But anything of theirs that's free-jazz/noisecore immediately jumps to the top of my list. Btw I prefer them to FOG and early 7MON.

FTR, I don't know if the K2 collab or radio thing are noisecore/free jazz or not.
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

can you recommend where to start with sissy spacek?
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
shrouded.in.antiquity
Hard Panning

Post by shrouded.in.antiquity »

Disfathom is one of my favorite noisecore releases ever. It's so short I usually just listen through it twice in a sitting. Very excited to finally see Sissy Spacek play live at Dreary North Fest in Chicago this September.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

D345 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:09 pm can you recommend where to start with sissy spacek?
Honestly it’s going to depend on what you’re looking for. They do noise, noisecore, grindcore, avant-garde, musique concrete, you name it and they've done it. I personally have vocalists I prefer over others but I find all their material is great. I would say the ones I suggested above are some of their strongest material but I have a lot I really enjoy.

I would say Trash Staging is a very good mix of their different styles and a very good representation of them as a whole.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Controversial opinion here, but from what I've heard so far, I find their noise, avant-garde, and musique concrete to not be as good as they're hyped to be. But their collabs and solo material in that vein are far better. Like the White Gold 7" collab with Phil Blankenship (of The Cherry Point) is absolutely incredible and their second release (a full length CD), which they put out under the project name White Gold (and simply titled "2") is very good. Also, John Wiese's solo harsh noise is better than the rest of SxSx's non-grind/noisecore. But again, it's still not as good as people have hyped it up. However, Charlie (SxSx drummer)'s harsh noise projects, like Unexamine and Sewer System, are the best in that specific genre by any of what I've just mentioned... except for John's collabs with Phil.

Again, this is based on what I've heard from the discograhy so far. And seeing John solo two or three times and SxSx two or three times. Btw I'm sick right now, so apologies for that.
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

holy ghost wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:07 pm
D345 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:09 pm can you recommend where to start with sissy spacek?
Honestly it’s going to depend on what you’re looking for. They do noise, noisecore, grindcore, avant-garde, musique concrete, you name it and they've done it. I personally have vocalists I prefer over others but I find all their material is great. I would say the ones I suggested above are some of their strongest material but I have a lot I really enjoy.

I would say Trash Staging is a very good mix of their different styles and a very good representation of them as a whole.
thanx, maybe I'll check that out and then dive into whatever I can find
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
Brian O'Blivion
Hard Panning

Post by Brian O'Blivion »

Gate, Disfathom, and the self-titled album would be a good introduction.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:43 am Controversial opinion here, but from what I've heard so far, I find their noise, avant-garde, and musique concrete to not be as good as they're hyped to be. But their collabs and solo material in that vein are far better.
I really like this stuff but it just might not scratch that itch the right way for some people. I also find that I am a little overwhelmed with the sheer amount of releases I’ve collected and have trouble keeping track of the less harsh stuff for some reason. Like that California Ax 4CD, I have probably listened to it once and discogs says I added to my collection like 7 years ago.

I also find that their noisecore/noise stuff tends to bleed into each other quite a bit style wise. I am a noisecore freak but like anyone I get a little exhausted by the 2000 song blast on a 7” where SS approaches it with a lot more of a unique energy.

I am happy to see the return of straight up CDs - I just can’t rationalize the shipping charges for a lathe limited to 30 copies and have had to miss a bunch of Weise/SS releases during the pandemic.
troniks
Contact Mic

Post by troniks »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:43 am Like the White Gold 7" collab with Phil Blankenship (of The Cherry Point) is absolutely incredible and their second release (a full length CD), which they put out under the project name White Gold (and simply titled "2") is very good.
As mentioned by others, Sissy Spacek's catalog is incredibly diverse. But if you enjoy my collaborations with Wiese, such as the White Gold project or LHD, you might enjoy some of the Spacek albums I'm on, such as Slow Move (Troniks, 2017) or BMW (Gilgongo, 2021). An album like Wreck (Phage, 2013) is kind of a mix of harsh electronics and grindcore madness. Perhaps my favorite on their "NOISE" end is Corpus (Helicopter/Troniks, 2020), which features a number of collaborators, including myself, Richard Ramirez & Sean Matzus, Lasse Marhaug, the Wasteland Jazz Unit guys, and more.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

troniks wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:44 pm
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:43 am Like the White Gold 7" collab with Phil Blankenship (of The Cherry Point) is absolutely incredible and their second release (a full length CD), which they put out under the project name White Gold (and simply titled "2") is very good.
As mentioned by others, Sissy Spacek's catalog is incredibly diverse. But if you enjoy my collaborations with Wiese, such as the White Gold project or LHD, you might enjoy some of the Spacek albums I'm on, such as Slow Move (Troniks, 2017) or BMW (Gilgongo, 2021). An album like Wreck (Phage, 2013) is kind of a mix of harsh electronics and grindcore madness. Perhaps my favorite on their "NOISE" end is Corpus (Helicopter/Troniks, 2020), which features a number of collaborators, including myself, Richard Ramirez & Sean Matzus, Lasse Marhaug, the Wasteland Jazz Unit guys, and more.
Honored to be the reason for your second post, hah!

I already own Corpus - went to one of the dates that tour and it was awesome. The whole CD is, too.

And thank you, will check out your recommendations!! Btw I somehow haven't heard LHD yet...
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:26 am Btw I somehow haven't heard LHD yet...
Those two collections are probably still super easy to grip and you get everything in a neat little package. Very well done discography. I really liked all the ones listed - Slow Move & Wreck are great and I picked up BMW recently as well….
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Re: Sissy Spacek fun chat thread

Literally bought the LHD - In Mono 2xCD about ten minutes ago at the store, hah!

And Ministry - Psalm 69, but that's otherwise unrelated... :)
thedemonfeedback666
C20

Post by thedemonfeedback666 »

Solid fucking band. Got to meet John a few weeks together, when we performed as members of Black Leather Jesus. Such a nice guy. Gave me a copy of Electric Field In Parallel, which is fucking insane!
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Unexamine interview in the latest Untitled zine was good.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:51 pm Unexamine interview in the latest Untitled zine was good.
Cheers thank you!! I had a lot of fun with that one.

Getting my latest batch of S&W stuff shipped soon, really excited to hear this latest batch.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

holy ghost wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:36 pm
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:51 pm Unexamine interview in the latest Untitled zine was good.
Cheers thank you!! I had a lot of fun with that one.

Getting my latest batch of S&W stuff shipped soon, really excited to hear this latest batch.
No, thank YOU for the quality bathroom reading material! Hahah
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Post by k.p.g »

I find "Gong" and "Blear" to be particularly great records in their catalog.
Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

I bought Reslayer and Electric Field recently - I was expecting a total noisecore assault and was surprised that were more in the harsh noise realm. Both good!! I really liked Featureless Thermal Equilibrium a ton and spin that right after for my noisecore FIX. Jay Randall is fucking awesome as a vocalist for SS.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Gotta say - Threshold and Mechanical Abstraction are two KILLER CDs - both hit the mark just right after a couple of spins.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

k.p.g wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:22 pm I find "Gong" and "Blear" to be particularly great records in their catalog.
Wish that Gong was available digitally...
moozz
Hard Panning

Post by moozz »

Recently got Reslayer, Electric Field In Parallel, Threshold and Mechanical Abstraction and they are all great harsh noise/noisecore. Also got the recent Blear reissue which is different but no less great. 2022 was a fantastic year for Sissy Spacek.