Favorite noise artwork.

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Helvitis
Hard Panning

Favorite noise artwork.

Post by Helvitis »

Lets have it. What are some of your favorite noise artwork. Some designs you favour or some packaging you think is really good.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Re: Favorite noise artwork.

Post by adult human »

This isn't all strictly noise but who cares:

All Alchemy Hijokaidan and Incapacitants (many other released from the label look amazing too.

RRRecords Pure and RRRecycled series

The Gerogerigegege releases that model themselves after Black albums. Several of the 7" releases too. Basically anything with line drawings of fat men sucking each other off etc

Slowscan releases in general

Michael Barthel and the Recordings For The Summer label

Hanatarash - 4 (both versions)

Lots of Monopolka releases look great though I've hardly actually got any

Most Worth things look fucking mad in ways you don't quite see pulled off so well elsewhere.

These days I can take or leave fancy packaging - especially now space is such a consideration - but I think Research Laboratories is a label that does small, elaborate editions very well. Very home made feelings without being (too) trashy and amateurish. Never JUST a tape or a CD and sometimes the physical artefact is as important as or inseparable from the audio.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

Hanson. Love the look of every single release I've seen, and they are many. A colorful, bold and consistent aesthetic.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I also love Tommy Carlsson's artwork for releases, posters etc. He picks all the props from the past, but still it feels fresh and playful rather than retro, contrived or corny.

Remi Dazet's (Violent Shogun/Yes Divulgation) many hand-crafted/recycled j-cards and designs. His use of stamp letters and cut'n'paste is always a treat, and it's a style very much his own.

Then there's G.R.O.S.S., Three Songs Of Lenin, P-Tapes, Koji Tano's designs... I could go on and on.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Capers wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:05 pm Hanson.
DUH! This should be on ANY list. How could I have forgotten?! Truly one of the best. I guess while we're on the topic of consistent aesthetics we have to tilt the cap to American Tapes and Wolf Eyes. Even if you don't care for any of the music that stuff is instantly identifiable.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Everything Weston has done with Gracious Host. Great artwork and a unique yet simple way of presenting it.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
zzz
Sound Art

Post by zzz »

Agreed with Treriksröset artwork. Clean, appealing design with a good sense of humour. Recently needed to fill some wall space and got one of the least… eh, suggestive, prints framed, hah. Still confuses people, though.

The Verlautbarung label seems to have a consistent thread of visual ideas and in some cases, plays with and/or pushes the limits of the format. I only have four titles but overall, everything is very pleasing, simple with a strong attention to detail.

Not branching out very far but the Mardrömd Dödsström cs box stands out. Pretty nondescript outside but stacked with inserts, posters, stickers etc. Also, the Worth box… manages to cover most of the senses, just missing smell and taste. I think I’m only making the connection now, but that insert was scratched by a cat, right?

Others that come to mind, being simple and effective: The Curfew Recordings, Lasse Marhaug - The Great Silence
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

The first thing that comes to mind for me: Merzbow collection series cover collages.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

I’ll second the Wolf Eyes/American Tapes aesthetic. I like them plenty musically as well but those records have just a fantastic look. I think two I really like are the Wolf Eyes & John Wiese collections. I love that WE put the same effort into a CD-R of 30 copies as they did their Sub Pop releases. Always Wrong is a real favourite cover.

I think I’m a fan of bold & simple, clean aesthetics. MITB/Bastard Noise/The Rita simple Ariel Black font and a consistent design.

I really love the Cherry Point/Troniks vibe as well. Those recent CDs are just so great.

The Sewer Election “Blizzard Amplification” CD and a ton of other SE albums are always real favs. Particularly because somehow there’s nothing overt that ties them together but they’re uniquely identifiable.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

holy ghost wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:44 pm think I’m a fan of bold & simple, clean aesthetics. MITB/Bastard Noise/The Rita simple Ariel Black font and a consistent design.
Agreed. The Rita packaging style is iconic at this point.

More picks for me: whoever does the Wrath label/release collages. The "Visual Depravity" zine compiling many of the collages was largely great.

On the subject of label aesthetics, I love Narcolepsia. Everything has a beautiful and simple vintage Xerox feel to it. Utterly perfect.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

On the flipside Wiese typography is just fucking great on the Sissy Spacek releases. I sure do like a lot of them. Wreck might be my favourite but I do enjoy this vibe a lot.
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

some that came to mind quickly

Merzbow – Venereology
The Gerogerigegege – Early Dream Exit
Vomir – Social Distancing
Whitehouse – Birthdeath Experience
Lasse Marhaug – The Great Silence
Gelsomina – Pythogenetics: Collection
The Rita – Thousands Of Dead Gods

and many others for irrational reasons. probably the best album cover of all time is PiL - Flowers of Romance
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
Whiteboard Maverick
Contact Mic

Post by Whiteboard Maverick »

I love the work of those with a recognisable hand: Masahiko Ohno, Aaron Dilloway, Ron Lessard, Andy Bolus, John Wiese, Yamantaka Eye, Thomas Moore.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

How could I forget Dennis Tyfus? I think he might be one of my favourite artists. My favourite is the Birth Refusal LP on Ultra Eczema. I also think the Agathocles/Sissy Spacek 7” might be one of the coolest looking 7”s I own.

It’s always been a challenge to find Ultra Eczema stuff locally but I sure do enjoy seeing them on discogs. 8)
theworldisawarfilm
C20

Post by theworldisawarfilm »

Excellent lists all. Has caused some idiosyncratic reflection. Please forgive.

I've always found noise music interesting (one could incorporate similar fringe/diy scenes here as well but it is strongest in noise/experimental circles I think) where the content is so radically subjective and open to (non)projection and (non)interpretation by a listener that the visual element becomes of paramount importance. For the artist it allows an opportunity to provide context (guiding the listener)--or further obliterate it through the inclusion of and stress placed upon extramusical content, most recognizable in abundance of Special Packaging, variable and limited editions etc. For the audience it is sort of the inverse. There is a way in which I think of noise to be almost like graffiti or a sort of folk-art related to technology. Since 'anything goes' it permits ultra-low barriers to participation and allows individuals to carve an artistic niche and avenue for communication for themselves which crosses media which would maybe be less typical for studied musicians whose time is eaten up, well, playing music. I am thinking of the quote from Style Wars (1983), and I'm paraphrasing here: "Its all about, y'know, its like a game. You get this name, people give you this name and then say 'okay, now how big can you get this name?' " That's not to say that is about achieving fame etc. but rather an avenue for people to 'leave their mark' as it were.

I digress...

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think I've seen Hospital mentioned at all? Hospital certainly had a broad and prolific Golden Age of design in my opinion. Prurient/FFH Central Park Jogger would be one of my favourites of the time but there are so many good examples.

Also a big fan of Broken Flag minimalism alongside many others that have been mentioned already.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

The Savage Gospel CDs are both very different but I really like both of them - can’t say why but they are just great looking (I like the project a lot as well)

The Haare artwork is usually spot on. New Age of Death and Brain are essentially perfect looking albums and suit the sounds perfectly. I really like the Culver collab and “Dimensional Ripper” as well. I have a few others but those are definitely my favourite.

Foul Prey definitely had a really great aesthetic and I picked up a ton of those tapes over the years. All of them look fantastic. Death Dedication “Balcony Mist After Nine” was probably the best looking one.

I’m also a huge fan of Himukalt - I think her collage work is really great, and super “real”. I think she’s able to capture her intent (not edgy or voyeuristic or exploitative) but just the realities of sex work and does it in a way that’s really effective. Generally her noise style is not always 100% to my interests but I try to pick up all her releases.
Whiteboard Maverick
Contact Mic

holy ghost wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:59 am How could I forget Dennis Tyfus? I think he might be one of my favourite artists.
Fuck yes! I've decided the only circumstance under which I'll be tattooed is if I'm able to secure a No Choice work from Tyfus. I'll get to Antwerp some day!

One I blanked on initially but was reminded of because the new CD on Throne Heap just showed up: Thomas Darksmith.

Zalhietzli
Hard Panning

Post by Zalhietzli »

Whiteboard Maverick wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:36 pm I love the work of those with a recognisable hand: Masahiko Ohno, Aaron Dilloway, Ron Lessard, Andy Bolus, John Wiese, Yamantaka Eye, Thomas Moore.
I love Dilloway's artwork, especially his frequent use of faces or portraits (Chain Shot, Door with no Handle, The Gag File, Modern Jester...)
Jason Crumer is another of my favorite, although I understand he doesn't make the artworks but rather works with artists. Justine Neuberger work on Services Rendered is spectacular.
totalblack
Hard Panning

Post by totalblack »

Whiteboard Maverick wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:28 am
holy ghost wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:59 am How could I forget Dennis Tyfus? I think he might be one of my favourite artists.
Fuck yes! I've decided the only circumstance under which I'll be tattooed is if I'm able to secure a No Choice work from Tyfus. I'll get to Antwerp some day!
Getting a No Choice tattoo was definitely one of the most fun experiences I've had getting a tattoo. Everyone laughing the whole time as Dennis is doing his thing, it looks absolutely ridiculous but that's part of the point.
Whiteboard Maverick
Contact Mic

totalblack wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:13 am Getting a No Choice tattoo was definitely one of the most fun experiences I've had getting a tattoo. Everyone laughing the whole time as Dennis is doing his thing, it looks absolutely ridiculous but that's part of the point.
Hahaha I'm definitely prepared for a ridiculous outcome. I've paid for tattoos on partners before, but could never find a good place with it for my own rapidly ageing flesh mound. For some reason the No Choice concept is perfect - the gun held by an artist I admire, and imagery that isn't a reproduction of a provided guide on skin.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Sort of jumping around here but here are a few more:

Amps for Christ side of the Winters In Osaka & Eric Wood split LP I absolutely love. Just a simple line drawing of the amps/guitar (??) setup. Very effective.

Sunn O))), love them or hate them have REALLY effective artwork a lot of the time. The Monoliths & Dimensions cover, the NWW remix, the White 1&2 LPs and the recent covers by Samantha Keeley Smith are fantastic. Also the Grimmrobe Demos purple and silver cover is incredible. O’Malley really knows what’s up in terms of effective covers.

The cover of Locrian’s The Crystal World is a real favourite - Justin Bartlett really shone on that one. I almost brought the glycee print from his recent sale but my funds were occupied elsewhere. Also if anyone has the cassette version for sale DM me.

The Thin Wrist reissue of Kevin Drum’s S/T DLP is phenomenal. I think it’s just extremely zoomed in pics of his guitar but really effective. Not only one of my favourite records but one of the best looking LPs I own.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Whiteboard Maverick wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:34 pm
totalblack wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:13 am Getting a No Choice tattoo was definitely one of the most fun experiences I've had getting a tattoo. Everyone laughing the whole time as Dennis is doing his thing, it looks absolutely ridiculous but that's part of the point.
Hahaha I'm definitely prepared for a ridiculous outcome. I've paid for tattoos on partners before, but could never find a good place with it for my own rapidly ageing flesh mound. For some reason the No Choice concept is perfect - the gun held by an artist I admire, and imagery that isn't a reproduction of a provided guide on skin.
3rd or 4thing Tyfus and Ultra Eczema stuff here too. No Choice Tattoos is a fun thing. He seems like a pretty decent tattooist at this point so at least you know you'd get it properly put in - wouldn't be falling off in scab form in a week or two. I think I'd get one in the right situation. It'd be impossible to look any worse than all my others anyway which are 99% self administered home jobs.
Tinnitustimulus
C20

Post by Tinnitustimulus »

DYS was probably the first ever US noise label (sort of) and some of my favorite aesthetics of any noise. Tom Katsimpalis, and others of Mnemonists group did the covers and inserts of Biota's s/t LP, Mnemonists' Horde and MB Mectpyo Bakterium. There's a sense of scientific illustration and a certain smoky wispiness that goes along with the sound. Mectpyo Bakterium def a favorite of mashing blobs to xerox to transmission electron microscope imagery. I don't think anyone else have gotten close in the amount effort they put into these visually.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Nothing bad to say about Merzbow's Merzbuta album art. Even the use of the Curlz font has a little bit of perverse naive charm. It's definitely not my favorite album sonically, but the cover is grimly surreal (in part because of the sparse Adobe Illustrator mock-3D appearance) and disarmingly cute in equal measure. In a word, unique.
consumer
C20

Post by consumer »

Pharmakon has consistently interesting cover photography, though I'm not sure about the Sacred Bones standard of putting so much text on them (I guess they weren't either, since it changes halfway through the discography).
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

It somehow reminds me of Colosseum II's Strange New Flesh cover art, which is an album I like more for its artwork than for its songs unfortunately.