Bandcamp tax infos shenanigans

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Zalhietzli
Hard Panning

Bandcamp tax infos shenanigans

Post by Zalhietzli »

Has anyone else recevied this mail from Bandcamp asking you to provide your tax and other personal informations ? As a french citizen, I don't feel comfortable with sharing these infos to the US administration, and I've seen others express the same concerns. What's your opinion on this ?

The mail from Bandcamp for reference :
"Greetings,

Marketplaces like Bandcamp are required by US tax law to issue tax forms to artists and labels who earn over $600 USD in sales in 2022. In order to provide you with the appropriate forms, Bandcamp will need to collect certain tax information from you. This information will need to be collected from you even if you are based outside the United States.

Since your account has crossed the $600 sales threshold or likely will by the end of the year, please complete this form hosted by our third-party tax service, Tax Identity. It is a short process (usually 10 minutes or less) that must be completed by the legal owner of the account.

Providing this information is necessary to continue receiving payouts from Bandcamp. We may be required to limit payouts for accounts that have not provided valid tax information by August 18, 2022.

For more information, refer to our handy tax guide. If you have questions about your specific tax situation, please contact a tax professional."
Whiteboard Maverick
Contact Mic

Re: Bandcamp tax infos shenanigans

Post by Whiteboard Maverick »

Yeah I bit the bullet with this, but felt uncomfortable too. I'm an Australian resident. Didn't help that the projected annual income threshold discussed (over $600) is pretty optimistic for my label. I hope this isn't going the way of Discogs, with attendant administrative shit making the platform even less fun to use.