Stuck In Your Head

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
shrouded.in.antiquity
Hard Panning

Stuck In Your Head

Post by shrouded.in.antiquity »

I think we have all gotten songs or parts of songs stuck in our heads from time to time. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this with harsh noise or harsh textures? Can you still hear memorable textures in your head after a release has finished playing? The first time this happened to me was with this release: https://vvst.bandcamp.com/album/ii
I was at work one day thinking about it and remembering the stark low-end which is almost rhythmic but not quite, and the droning and humming mid tones throughout. At first I thought I was imagining how I remembered the track sounded and not actually remembering it faithfully, but I went and listened to it in my car on my break that day and sure enough I was remembering specific harsh lines from the track. Another track that gets "stuck in my head" from time to time is Unexamine's track "Don't Explain Yourself" from the Lower Animal tape on Chondritic Sound. https://chondriticsound.bandcamp.com/album/lower-animal I'm not sure what makes some tracks or textures more memorable to me than others, and I'm also very curious to know if anyone else has had similar experiences.

To go along with that, I've also always wondered do folks record with specific textures in their head and put together set-ups which will bring about their mental vision? Or perhaps just set-up the gear and let the gear dictate? Potentially some combination of these?
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Re: Stuck In Your Head

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

Quite a few Incaps intros constantly flash in and out of my sadly broken skull. Curse Of Ceauşescu, FLS Syndrome, Go Bankrupt, No Risk No Return, Backfire, Gody Fishing, Long Awaited, Inverted Yield Curve, BIS Conspiracy, A Walk In The Evening, PT Team What's That? etc. Long had this weird obsession with repeatedly replaying the first thirty seconds or so. Plus piles of loop oriented shiz a la Merz, Endo, TEF &c. Travelling, Boom Boom Roppongi, Scind jump out. First moments of a track on that WCN Aprapat disc refuse to dislodge. Hmm. Interesting. Will need to come back to this.

btw never heard that Unexamine and just sampled, now, and I'm like, fuck. Not sure I want any of those textures to lodge. Want 'em to dis-lodge. That's what certain textures ought do. Get stuck in the crack, then to crack that crack. Then to crack that...

Let's just say, cracks are involved.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:41 am Let's just say, cracks are involved.
Another way to float this would've widepanned the myriad cracks and fissures that for certain species of soundwork define the texture, the perceptual breadth and depth of which might skate along the relative application of the volume knob- a subset of playback config. And along the cline a no lesser confusion as to where (a species of) noise, or texture, would be supposed to start (and end). Or whatever floats yer crack.
Tinnitustimulus
C20

Post by Tinnitustimulus »

A noise hook for me is Peony Crackers 2 by Incapacitants on Project Pallo 85. Its basically the same sound over and over again on top of some echo filter stuff for over a half an hour and I just cant get enough of it.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

Plenty of textures, parts and above all, intros, that seem to linger in this brain forever. The ecstatic opening of Curse Of Ceauşescu, the slurping opening and then drill-tickling of Sexregler, the treacherous first few seconds of Sex/Death, the full-bodied and rich junk crunch of Paranoid Time's I'll Pay Someone To Pot In Your Mouth, the cold broken synth-tazers in RJF's Maximum Pain... I could go on and on.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Oh and fergott to mention all those Hijo-adjacent screamathons, principally the Junko-fueled but so many more. Among the better distributed, the live Hijokaidan track from Windom, so many wonderful shrieking wigouts, like, several. Several Junko-led moments from Hijokaidan Modern. And the apty titled "Live" from Incaps Feedback of NMS. A few choice intervals where you get the soprano Mikawa apeshit to the tenor Kosakai apeshit, is damn good. So good that I literally cut and slapped said shits into some shit that I then released, in public like, without credit, as an homage, in the hope that a fellow perv might pick up on and smile at, not sure if that ever transpired. But yeah. Love me some Mikawa going apeshit in the morning.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Tinnitustimulus wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:47 pm A noise hook for me is Peony Crackers 2 by Incapacitants on Project Pallo 85. Its basically the same sound over and over again on top of some echo filter stuff for over a half an hour and I just cant get enough of it.
Hot damn, just went with this. And went with it. And went with it, and...am...fucking...gone.

Cruel and unusual pleasurement.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Capers wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:37 am I'll Pay Someone To Pot In Your Mouth
Just want to quote this.
thedemonfeedback666
C20

Post by thedemonfeedback666 »

All that spring reverb abuse on Skin Crime tracks.
oZiris
Hard Panning

Post by oZiris »

Keeps popping in my head every other week all Summer
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

I think that the only time this has happened to me with noise was with The Cherry Point's "Virgin Witch" (just the opening seconds).