Now Playing

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
JuntaCadre
Hard Panning

Re: Now Playing

Post by JuntaCadre »

Knifedoutofexistence wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:31 pm Oscillating Innards - Nadir Emergence

I’ve had to drive back to my hometown a few times recently, and this had many listens on those trips, another one just now. One of my absolute favourites. Ticks all the boxes for me, blisteringly harsh at times, vulnerable and fragile at others, beautiful loops emerging from and disappearing beneath the murk, and vocals that really make an impact when they kick in. Noise that works in vocals without necessarily sounding like PE is one of the best things in the world for me. I’m yet to find something that hits me in exactly the same way this does. If anyone has any comparable records they love, I’d welcome the recommendations!

B623C0F7-D0FA-4FA5-8E98-4ED202DAB131.jpeg
I somehow managed to get around hearing this album until last year, it absolutely rocked my world when I finally checked it out. Been a fan of his work for a long time but wow that album is really something special. You hit it right on the head with vocals being worked into noise that doesn’t quite become PE. Really killer from front to back.
What Abraham found easiest, I would have found hard, namely to be joyful again with Isaac

Herukrat, Junta Cadre, Commuter.

https://juntacadre.bandcamp.com/
https://newforces.bandcamp.com/album/no-longer-penitent
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

AlexVirtues wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:47 pm Äsping - Uthark
New from Cloister. Not a "noise tape", sounds more like Wolf Eyes with a string quartet covering György Ligeti featuring Barbara Hannigan or Diamanda on vocals.
Really incredible tape, will appeal to those with an appreciation for modern classical and pagan stuff. I wish it was longer.
Sounds sick. Props to Cloister for having an ear to the ground when it comes to this kind of stuff. That Norn tape from last year(?) was a nice surprise and scratched that Coil itch.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

GBN absolutely rules. I almost bought that LP split you posted. I think the only thing of theirs I own is the "Wild and Frantic Rock'n Roll Special!!" 7"

Currently listening to Portrayal of Guilt - We Are Always Alone.

I pretty much only listen to music on my computer and cellphone (only physical media I listen to is on my record player), so don't expect too many pics from me. Tape players keep dying on me (even new ones), because I used them so much, so I'm done with them. I'm in the process of selling all my CD's and tapes to Torn Light (my local store) and no, I have no interest in doing mailorder. Buy them from their discogs account or whatever after I've sold them. Sorry, not sorry.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

VMS Elit - Sueur De Sang (Joy De Vivre)

Prime VMS-E stuff! No fucking about, blistering, 'electronic things being used wrong and dying' sounding harsh noise. Has a wetter, squeakier (ha!) quality than other things by him plus a tonne of pause/ffw'd button thrashing which is excellent. The damage is evident all over this one. Who can resist a tape with Abdullah the Butcher on the cover either?
Mogao
Contact Mic

Post by Mogao »

Today I've been listening:

Worth: Ruination assessment 3" CD (Freak-Animal). Didn't remember that I had this, because it had buried deeply between other records in my shelf. Found it yesterday. Burning crispy sounds and no weak moments at all. Need to listen it again later today.

After that some more Worth: Oculus (Total Black). Maybe not as good as I remembered, some parts drifted away, but somedays my own concentration for deeper listening is also gone too... Still VERY solid album! This also stays in my listening pile for a longer time now.

Now playing: Coil - Love's secret domain 2-CD (Infinite Fog Productions). I have the og vinyl, but I needed this cd too because of the bonus material. Psychedelic mutant acid house in Coil style!
Knifedoutofexistence
C20

Post by Knifedoutofexistence »

JuntaCadre wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:14 pm I somehow managed to get around hearing this album until last year, it absolutely rocked my world when I finally checked it out. Been a fan of his work for a long time but wow that album is really something special. You hit it right on the head with vocals being worked into noise that doesn’t quite become PE. Really killer from front to back.
I first heard it years ago, I think after seeing him in that People Who Do Noise documentary (if I’m remembering the title right) and checking some stuff out, but hadn’t heard it forever until I managed to grab the last copies in a Troniks distro order a year or two back, and it’s been at least a once a week listen since then.
Knifedoutofexistence
C20

incorruptible corpse wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:23 am Currently listening to Portrayal of Guilt - We Are Always Alone.
Excellent record! One of my favourites of last year for sure.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Knifedoutofexistence wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:37 am
incorruptible corpse wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:23 am Currently listening to Portrayal of Guilt - We Are Always Alone.
Excellent record! One of my favourites of last year for sure.
Ehhhhhh, I'm just not getting into it. Listened three times and it's just not doing anything for me.
Haare
C20

Post by Haare »

Gave this a listen today as I heard yesterday that Gary passed away during the holidays. Still extremely weird, super annoying at times but there are some great moments.
Attachments
IMG_20220121_110926_658~2.jpg
IMG_20220121_110926_658~2.jpg (31.07 KiB) Viewed 5917 times
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Haare wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:19 am Gave this a listen today as I heard yesterday that Gary passed away during the holidays. Still extremely weird, super annoying at times but there are some great moments.
Yes, very sad loss. He never played or released too much compared to others and is probably better known for his uniquely participatory presence at shows than his own music but without a doubt the U.K. has lost a real figure in its noise culture
Idwal Fisher gig review feat. Gary
Idwal Fisher gig review feat. Gary
7726DC95-BBD6-46EA-AAB2-8EE65483E23E.jpeg (17.55 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
Ineffable Slime
Hard Panning

Post by Ineffable Slime »

I've been listening to this recently released WADGE collection this AM. Such a consistently ripping band.
PC Gore Band Makes Mistake ...such a perennial statement.

https://mortvillenoise.bandcamp.com/alb ... xotic-lore
WADGE.jpg
WADGE.jpg (88.24 KiB) Viewed 5912 times
Haare
C20

Post by Haare »

adult human wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:24 am
Haare wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:19 am Gave this a listen today as I heard yesterday that Gary passed away during the holidays. Still extremely weird, super annoying at times but there are some great moments.
Yes, very sad loss. He never played or released too much compared to others and is probably better known for his uniquely participatory presence at shows than his own music but without a doubt the U.K. has lost a real figure in its noise culture7726DC95-BBD6-46EA-AAB2-8EE65483E23E.jpeg
That Idwal Fisher quote is great! :D
My absolute fave of things he was involved in was The Barbarians. I need to locate the DVD-R.
NihilBaxter
C20

Post by NihilBaxter »

Moss Harvest - Infra

His latest work on buried in slag and debris, sounding a bit less "washed-up" than former releases, still excellent.
Attachments
271920072_2886181461667978_4387746852815897390_n.jpg
271920072_2886181461667978_4387746852815897390_n.jpg (43.53 KiB) Viewed 5878 times
Last edited by NihilBaxter on Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
WolfSschanze
Blank Tape

Post by WolfSschanze »

NihilBaxter wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:54 am Image

Moss Harvest - Infra

His latest work on buried in slag and debris, sounding a bit less "washed-up" than former releases, still excellent.
I love this Project
NihilBaxter
C20

Post by NihilBaxter »

WolfSschanze wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:56 am
I love this Project
Same! One of my all-time-favorites for sure. I'm far from owning all releases, since some are super limited, but guess i'm owning most of my favorites in physical form.
Knifedoutofexistence
C20

Another one to say how much I love Moss Harvest too. Got to see him play a solo show followed by two collab sets with DFH the next couple of nights a few years back. Matt is so nice and seeing his process was incredibly inspiring.
totalblack
Hard Panning

Post by totalblack »

just to echo the above statements, MH is excellent and Matt is an excellent guy. This new tape doesn’t disappoint, and it’s been great to watch the project evolve over the last 7 years after meeting him in Halifax when the project was fresh. looking forward to more.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

New Forces wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:38 pm Sewer Election – Skärvor Av (Second Sleep) LP

This is incredible. One of Dan’s best efforts. Can’t stop playing it. Wish the jacket hadn’t gotten destroyed in shipping. Europe needs better mailers, that’s a chronic problem across multiple countries. Flimsy thin cardboard. Sorry, had to say it.
Got my copies yesterday (safe and sound). Only had a chance to listen once so far, but it's been on my mind all day now. Definitely spinning it again when I get home.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
totalblack
Hard Panning

Post by totalblack »

I know i’m the odd one out saying this, but after a few listens I don’t get what separates „Skärvor Av“ from any of the other gold standard releases that Dan has done recently. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not bad, but it doesn’t reach the heights other milestones in his catalogue have. After listening to it the first time, I spent an entire day listening to every Sewer Election and related recording I have at my disposal, and then played it again, and I just don’t see it as being leaps and bounds better than many of the cassettes and records he’s done. I’ll give it another chance tomorrow since everyone has been speaking so highly of it.

Psychic Panorama on the other hand i’ve played probably 20 times already and am completely obsessed with
Mattias Gustafsson
Contact Mic

Post by Mattias Gustafsson »

D14E3369-66E8-4AFE-B6CF-2693E692EC61.jpeg
D14E3369-66E8-4AFE-B6CF-2693E692EC61.jpeg (107.19 KiB) Viewed 5787 times
This weeks mail. Only listened once but so far everything delivers.
New Forces
Hard Panning

Post by New Forces »

totalblack wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:37 pm I know i’m the odd one out saying this, but after a few listens I don’t get what separates „Skärvor Av“ from any of the other gold standard releases that Dan has done recently. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not bad, but it doesn’t reach the heights other milestones in his catalogue have. After listening to it the first time, I spent an entire day listening to every Sewer Election and related recording I have at my disposal, and then played it again, and I just don’t see it as being leaps and bounds better than many of the cassettes and records he’s done. I’ll give it another chance tomorrow since everyone has been speaking so highly of it.

Psychic Panorama on the other hand i’ve played probably 20 times already and am completely obsessed with
For me its the inclusion of the classic "murk" with a sharp, clearer, more acoustic percussive noisy element that was really hitting
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene
killhippies
Contact Mic

Post by killhippies »

Playing some recent pickups today. Haven’t heard this pterygium tape yet but I love everything else of his
WCN
Maniacs Only

Post by WCN »

Finally have my stereo up and running again. Been enjoying this trifecta of shimmering shredded sound all day:

Jeph Jerman - Debitage CS (Unread Records & Tapes)
Darksmith Of California - Island Of Stability CS (No Rent)
Sewer Election - Skärvor Av LP (Second Sleep)
Attachments
DBB49029-4BD8-4409-A68F-7643AF577115.jpeg
DBB49029-4BD8-4409-A68F-7643AF577115.jpeg (62.78 KiB) Viewed 5744 times
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

I should be focusing on my tower of unlistened/not played enough stuff, but Mr Throop kindly sent me a couple of his recent CD reissues, so I’m playing them back to back. Motel Dwelling is an eternal favorite, and I’m glad to see and hear what a great job Sam/Phage and Grant did with the CD version. Visually not very faithful to the original, but the sad themes are present and it looks great. Exact reproduction isn’t always something to strive for. A small question mark regarding the shortened version of ”Panic Stricken”, but it’s still a 5 out of 5 reissue. I love all eras of Kakerlak, and these rather early recordings are restless, as early recordings usually are and perhaps should be. The foundation - his signature dense and ever so deep rushing currents - was there from the very start though.
Attachments
7F1CEDD3-5F9D-48D9-B6E7-A04AE8BFC6F9.jpeg
7F1CEDD3-5F9D-48D9-B6E7-A04AE8BFC6F9.jpeg (99.49 KiB) Viewed 5707 times
Vast Field Magnetism
C20

Post by Vast Field Magnetism »

WCN wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:17 pm Finally have my stereo up and running again. Been enjoying this trifecta of shimmering shredded sound all day:

Jeph Jerman - Debitage CS (Unread Records & Tapes)
Darksmith Of California - Island Of Stability CS (No Rent)
Sewer Election - Skärvor Av LP (Second Sleep)
Jeph was ON ONE last year. Debitage, Augur'd and ESPECIALLY Popular Fictions feel like a step into new territories for his work.