Review: YMGER, Nikko Whitworth, Proximal Terminus, Fussing & i.o - review (Sept 17th, 2020 @ Black Lab)

No mosh but the noise mosh.
Noise Fanatic

Review: YMGER, Nikko Whitworth, Proximal Terminus, Fussing & i.o - review (Sept 17th, 2020 @ Black Lab)

Post by 33033 »

Another Black Lab noiser.

YMGER - Really great set. It felt very "organic" sounding, almost dripping, pliable sound. I made some comparison to the artist about a part in Eden by Stanislaw Lem where they enter this membranous wall, sort of into a living factory? That was my feeling. Alive in a very programmed way. YMGER's set up was minimal, a small Eurorack set up in a case, very intriguing.

Nikko Whitworth - Started out with a mic being dragged across guitar strings with minor effects which gave the effect of broken string sections. Cascading out from that were some loops from the mic, minor vocal points added, and constant loop manipulation. Definitely felt a "beginning/middle/end"...made me think of walking in a cave, especially highlighted by the dripping sounds later on.

Proximal Terminus - Really great intense set. The first two acts gave an air of organic, worldly noise. Proximal Terminus was as if a massive ugly broken computer was sputtering in it's final moments. Crashing, grinding, pulling sound jumping out of the speakers. Straight forward and ripping!

Fussing & i.o - Both from my hometown, wish I knew them a few years back when I was still living there. Anyway, I highly enjoy drums/noise combos and this was a great example of such a duo. i.o (drums) played a blur of lightning fast rolls/blastbeats/jazz whathaveyou for a good 20 mins without seemingly breaking a sweat. Fussing took a route with drone which lead into straight contact mic abuse, distorted vocals, and just all around energy. Fantastic team up and set.

Stoked to see someone putting on more live noise in town here. I've always been a bit scatter brained and I feel as if I could never pull something off, so amen to Ethan & Owen for doing this. Hope to be at more! Also YMGER/Proximal Terminus have a great split tape out. Hopefully copies will pop up online because it's pretty darn good!
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Re: Review: YMGER, Nikko Whitworth, Proximal Terminus, Fussing & i.o - review (Sept 17th, 2020 @ Black Lab)

Post by Scream & Writhe »

I'm not sure if I know any of these acts. Glad to see fresh stuff popping off in Vancouver!
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics