Noise Artists: What are you doing and what's on your mind RIGHT NOW?

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Re: Noise Artists: What are you doing and what's on your mind RIGHT NOW?

Post by SS1535 »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:12 am My birthday was yesterday, it went well. Had my favorite local pizza with family, went home and fell asleep. 11/10, would recommend.
Happy belated birthday!
Zalhietzli
Hard Panning

Post by Zalhietzli »

Capers wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:31 pm I'm streaming an album of mine, VMS Elit - Fumes, because I apparently don't have the master. Don't think I've heard it since it was released. It's pretty good.
Ha ! Something similar happened to me. It seemed I sold all my copies (even my personal copy) of a split tape I am very proud of (both for the music and packaging). I'm considering buying it off someone from Discogs, but that feels just... weird ?
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:12 am My birthday was yesterday, it went well. Had my favorite local pizza with family, went home and fell asleep. 11/10, would recommend.
Happy belated birthday !

I've been working on a new record for the past couple weeks/months. But right now I am sick of it and I haven't touched it for a couple days, so I am back to learning how to code games. I also recorded a cool improvisation that would be good split material (different vibe from the album). I'm not just sure with who I should make a split with...

Been playing a good amount of Streets of Rage 4. Great game.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Thank you both!!!
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Tons of stress for this and upcoming week.
Few days as first time team leader with small production of UEFA. So far barely have gotten any infos.
Saturday I have a festival as tour manager and no infos basicly at all from the festival. I know some reasons why the situation as it is now but the band I work with is like a kindergarten. They _will_ be just bitching the whole evening.

Next week more work with UEFA and then festivals in Estonia and here in Finland. Same stuff. No infos so far. Our car rental guy doesnt answer me either about which of his cars is marked for us and blahblahblah.

Shit tons of unnecessary stress for about 7 hours of enterntainment for people.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

I have a root canal coming up on Thursday. Not really into it.
moozz
Hard Panning

Post by moozz »

Most of my gear is in Belgium, and I moved back to Finland a few months ago. I will be visiting Brussels soon, trying to figure out what gear to bring back with me. Limited luggage so most will have to stay for even longer.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

moozz wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:19 pm Most of my gear is in Belgium, and I moved back to Finland a few months ago. I will be visiting Brussels soon, trying to figure out what gear to bring back with me. Limited luggage so most will have to stay for even longer.
Could force out some creative recordings!
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Zalhietzli
Hard Panning

Post by Zalhietzli »

I'm following a tutorial course on how to make video game (a space shooter actually). I'm having a lot of fun, as I find game design really interesting and creative. I played a lot of these games so being able to actually code and implement these mechanics is so rewarding. A nice break from noise making !
moozz
Hard Panning

Post by moozz »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:36 pm
moozz wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:19 pm Most of my gear is in Belgium, and I moved back to Finland a few months ago. I will be visiting Brussels soon, trying to figure out what gear to bring back with me. Limited luggage so most will have to stay for even longer.
Could force out some creative recordings!
Definitely! There are things like my only mixer that I want to have here in Finland and a few basic pedals I always use. I will most probably also play live still this year so flexibility and familiarity will be good when it comes to gear I will be using.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Waiting for to hear back from my rental company about something on their end that caused me to get a late fee on this month's rent. I am rather angry about the situation.

Need to figure out what I need to sell to make up for that.

In full-body pain this morning. Woke up later than usual and couldn't even eat breakfast because of it.

All out of caffeinated beverages, but in too much pain to walk and get one.

It's going up to 90F today.

Just want to sleep all day.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Everything worked out. I am thankful, but tired now.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Clusterfuck of not being motivated about pretty much anything.
thatonekidatshows
C20

Post by thatonekidatshows »

It's been a while since I've been on here. Time to post!

I just recorded my first harsh noise wall track. I don't even really enjoy harsh noise wall. I definitely don't listen to much of it. There are releases here and there that I enjoy, but I definitely wouldn't consider myself a fan of the approach to noise music. Why did I record a harsh noise wall track, then? Well, it was mostly so I could go in after the fact and chop samples out of it so that I could use it in my other noise endeavors and not have to set up all my gear to get this one sound. Listening back to it, though, I wonder if anybody who is a fan of the genre would enjoy it. I mean, I literally just set it and forgot it. I guess that's what Vomir does, right? I mean, his material is mostly unchanging; he definitely doesn't "forget" it. He listens to his own work while he's recording it. Part of me wants to release the couple of walls I recorded, but I can't do so in good faith knowing that it really is just a minimal-effort recording.

I still think there are some neat textures in there, though, so I might want to try to work on the tracks a bit more to make them more substantial. I just don't know what makes a "good" wall. Maybe that's a good thing. No expectations, no regrets. I have very little HNW influence, so it might allow me to produce something pretty neat. On the other hand, I could end up adding to the "I made a HNW track because I don't know how to do anything else" garbage heap because I don't know what elevates a wall from that to the quality of the Rita or Vomir. Then again, it's harsh noise wall, so who is to say?
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

thatonekidatshows wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:38 pm It's been a while since I've been on here. Time to post!

I just recorded my first harsh noise wall track. I don't even really enjoy harsh noise wall. I definitely don't listen to much of it. There are releases here and there that I enjoy, but I definitely wouldn't consider myself a fan of the approach to noise music. Why did I record a harsh noise wall track, then? Well, it was mostly so I could go in after the fact and chop samples out of it so that I could use it in my other noise endeavors and not have to set up all my gear to get this one sound. Listening back to it, though, I wonder if anybody who is a fan of the genre would enjoy it. I mean, I literally just set it and forgot it. I guess that's what Vomir does, right? I mean, his material is mostly unchanging; he definitely doesn't "forget" it. He listens to his own work while he's recording it. Part of me wants to release the couple of walls I recorded, but I can't do so in good faith knowing that it really is just a minimal-effort recording.

I still think there are some neat textures in there, though, so I might want to try to work on the tracks a bit more to make them more substantial. I just don't know what makes a "good" wall. Maybe that's a good thing. No expectations, no regrets. I have very little HNW influence, so it might allow me to produce something pretty neat. On the other hand, I could end up adding to the "I made a HNW track because I don't know how to do anything else" garbage heap because I don't know what elevates a wall from that to the quality of the Rita or Vomir. Then again, it's harsh noise wall, so who is to say?
Let it brew for a while and give it a spin sometime later. You might find even more there then.
I'm also new for HNW but it is oddly interesting to record IMO. When I "hit that HNW spot" while searching for sounds, I let it take its time and kinda sink in there like "whats going on in here!" Haha.

Also excited as hell for once. Our band Fogteeth has some shows coming up during the fall and we'll get to play outside Finland soon!

I've been fiddling with an idea of a sludge/noise/grind band for some time with a friend. Bass/vocals/noise and drums/vocals for start. Slow, slimy, filthy, partly droneish and nasty.
We saw Slugphlegm play two days in a row and it gave the "lets fucking do it!"-boost.
moozz
Hard Panning

Post by moozz »

thatonekidatshows wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:38 pm I still think there are some neat textures in there, though, so I might want to try to work on the tracks a bit more to make them more substantial. I just don't know what makes a "good" wall. Maybe that's a good thing. No expectations, no regrets. I have very little HNW influence, so it might allow me to produce something pretty neat. On the other hand, I could end up adding to the "I made a HNW track because I don't know how to do anything else" garbage heap because I don't know what elevates a wall from that to the quality of the Rita or Vomir. Then again, it's harsh noise wall, so who is to say?
Record for yourself and you will know what is good and what is not. Sure, recording something that you think others might appreciate but you fully do not could be a fun exercise once or twice but I don't see how that would be fulfilling if you keep doing it.

I do enjoy HNW but I don't really have enough patience to record that stuff myself. I always get the urge to twist knobs and get more active. Luckily I can always get my HNW fix with Vomir, The Rita, Werewolf Jerusalem, Burial Ground, Gomeisa and many many others.
+hp+
Hard Panning

Post by +hp+ »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:48 pm
Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:12 am Life is pain. Pain is harsh. Harsh is noise. Noise is good.
It's the circle of strife.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Nervous as shit for upcoming weekend.
We'rr having our firsr shows with Fogteeth outside Finland and also first shows with our sessionbassist.
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

thatonekidatshows wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:38 pm It's been a while since I've been on here. Time to post!

Experimentation is pretty much always good. Where you need to apply caution and discernment is deciding when/if it’s time to expose others to the results.
thatonekidatshows
C20

Post by thatonekidatshows »

Atrophist wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:44 am Experimentation is pretty much always good. Where you need to apply caution and discernment is deciding when/if it’s time to expose others to the results.
These are wise words.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

thatonekidatshows wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:35 pm
Atrophist wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:44 am Experimentation is pretty much always good. Where you need to apply caution and discernment is deciding when/if it’s time to expose others to the results.
These are wise words.
Yeah, got that lecture from my mom once. Couldn't look her in the eye for weeks.
Bleak Existence
Contact Mic

Post by Bleak Existence »

starting to work on my upcoming sxe pe project
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

I think the ease of making HNW leads to a lot of false assumptions and self-induced imposter syndrome. True of noise in general!

I don't do much HNW, and I have to confess that the majority I've recorded was out of self-imposed obligation-fulfillment... I have taken both the active tweaking/performance approach and the "set it and forget it" approach.

Even in my laziest efforts, there was much time spent on active listening and tweaking. I have spent literal hours just getting the sound "right" and then hitting record and listening... and stewing, and projecting onto the sound, catching bits of my mental state in the sonic netting... And I have spent additional hours mastering to get what sounded "right" before to sound even more right in the present.

Taking all the OCD neuroticism out of the picture, I generally try to tap into my mood with anything. It's admittedly very personal and abstract. It is foolish to expect other people will feel the same feelings I do in association with any noise recording I make. But a lot of them are absolutely imbued with a particular emotion, however muddled and unclear it might be, even to myself.

I think I've already done enough mental, emotional legwork and lost enough time to the process at that point that I really don't need to justify it to anyone, especially not when it comes to producing phyical editions, more often than not on my own dime, and with zero hope of making a return on the investment, or even making a profit from artist copies. If I believe in what I've done enough to release it, that is all that matters. I actively avoid promoting things because I recognize that I am biased. If things I release aren't just good enough on their own to find an audience, then I refuse to shove it down anyone's throat with endless spam and hype-mongering.

I think it is pointless to force yourself into a role for which you cannot articulate a function, or to insinuate yourself into modes for which you haven't developed a personal language or understanding. Once a person does this, there isn't even a reason to justify it any more.

Me? I am out of booze and my buzz is wearing off, giving way to all the unpleasant symptoms associated with alcohol. Probably for the best, though it's making me depressed and anxious. Another long, long week of the daily grind to the grave ahead, with more non-productive, anti-social alcoholic weekends to serve as milemarkers in between.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Saturday I was just jamming and checking some ideas I had. Found a decent setup and went back today. Felt good with it and had a fun rec/reh-session. Gonna check it maybe tomorrow if it still "feels right"
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

soon going to rehearse a set for saturdays COS gig. Maybe I'll play some songs and not just 20min of unorchestrated noise! I'll probably fail gloriously. I just realized that I don't even remember the last time COS played live, maybe 2020 at noise space? Time flies when you have fun
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
haldorsen
Blank Tape

Post by haldorsen »

Finally resumed working on a more or less abandoned tape experiment from over two years ago. I always kind of wanted to finish it because I loved the idea and thought it would probably end up sounding really cool but I basically just gave up because it was time consuming and I was struggling with motivation (still am). On top of that, I was not confident that anybody would even like it. I know I shouldn't let that deter me from making the noise I want to hear, but it sucks seeing a product you love and are proud of get disregarded. It was Sam McKinlay in the WCN afterblast saying you should absolutely and unapologetically make exactly the things you want to make that convinced me to pick the old project back up. So I'm hoping to just take it in little chunks until its done and see what happens from there