Struggles Of Making Noise/ Hosting DIY Noise Shows

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Streetcleaner2
Contact Mic

Struggles Of Making Noise/ Hosting DIY Noise Shows

Post by Streetcleaner2 »

how do you combat noise complaints when trying to produce noise as well as throwing diy noise shows without getting noise complaints or shut down .
Does this restriction have a big impact on how you go about producing noise from home or throwing diy shows . What are some tips to over come angry / nosy neighbors, simply not giving a fuck ? How much discretion do you have for your neighbors when it comes to this . Have you ever been shut down and what did you do about it did it discourage you from doing more diy shows
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Re: Struggles Of Making Noise/ Hosting DIY Noise Shows

Post by SS1535 »

I have a lot of discretion for my neighbors, as I have been on the recieving end of noise problems many times before (though I also live in relatively close proximity to them). While this has limited my ability to play/record noise in some capacities, I accept that a neighborhood is probably not the right place for it anyway.
housepig
Thrashmaster

Post by housepig »

things that have helped me in the past, for any kind of show where there will be impact to neighbors:
1. let them know in advance
2. do what you can to minimize impact.

For #1, talk to them and let them know - there's going to be a thing ("some people over", "a party", etc if you want to be generic or don't want to potentially deal with explaining "a noise show"), there will be noise that will probably carry to them, it's going to start at X time and be done by Z time.

Stick to Z time. Seriously. Shutting off when you say you will shut off goes a LONG way to reducing complaints and issues. And make sure that Z time is reasonable. In my neighborhood, I wouldn't go past 11:00 p.m.

For #2, keep volumes to the lowest point they NEED to be; don't crank for the sake of cranking. If parking is going to be an issue, try to minimize it; on a house party we threw years ago, we went down the street and used stakes and caution tape to make sure none of our people parked in anyone's lawn (and we came around the next morning and took it all down, we didn't leave it for them to deal with). Keep your party indoors / on your own property; don't let it spill into your neighbor's yard / stoop / alley behind their place. Ask folks taking smoke breaks or congregating outside to keep their voices down, etc.

Stake someone connected with throwing the show or connected to the house at the front door at all times, SOBER. If an angry neighbor or a cop shows up, the last thing you want is for some knucklehead attendee to piss them off or let them in. A resident or party manager who has their head about them can talk calmly to the neighbor or cop, apologize for things "getting a little rowdy" and assure them that the volume will be turned down / guests will be calmed down / etc. etc., nothing to see here. Then follow through - turn down the volume a bit, corral your rowdier guests, whatever.

A house I wasn't a resident of but was on the "party committee" for regular 150+ guest parties followed these guidelines, we had live bands and open bars, very few complaints from the neighbors and the one time the cops showed up they never got past the porch. Good luck.
housepig
Thrashmaster

Post by housepig »

as far as producing noise, some of the same things apply, but personally I've never had to crank anything so loud that my neighbors would hear to get the result I wanted. I do live in a detached house in the city, so my neighbors are close but not sharing walls; your mileage may vary.
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

Like Housepig says, the important thing is to call it quits at a reasonable time. Most people don’t mind, as long as they know that whatever racket is going on, won’t be happening all night.

I live in the ”bad” part of Helsinki, the part you won’t see on reports praising the Happiest Country on Earth™. There used to be a bunch of guys outside my building on weekend nights, sitting getting drunk in their car and blasting extremely shitty Russian eurodance. At 11:30 I was thinking, ”hah, that’s just silly”. By 1am I was — seriously — googling instructions for making Molotov cocktails. Not that I had any intention of torching these guys alive in their car, even being total imbeciles. But I had begun entertaining the possibility of destroying their car in case this kept happening every weekend. So I would not recommend simply ”not giving a fuck”.
Streetcleaner2
Contact Mic

Post by Streetcleaner2 »

SS1535 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:37 pm I have a lot of discretion for my neighbors, as I have been on the recieving end of noise problems many times before (though I also live in relatively close proximity to them). While this has limited my ability to play/record noise in some capacities, I accept that a neighborhood is probably not the right place for it anyway.
What other options are available? If not a neighborhood? venues can be hard to get into so what other options do we have or what types of venues would be fitting , really appreciate any responses
Streetcleaner2
Contact Mic

Post by Streetcleaner2 »

housepig wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:23 pm things that have helped me in the past, for any kind of show where there will be impact to neighbors:
1. let them know in advance
2. do what you can to minimize impact.

For #1, talk to them and let them know - there's going to be a thing ("some people over", "a party", etc if you want to be generic or don't want to potentially deal with explaining "a noise show"), there will be noise that will probably carry to them, it's going to start at X time and be done by Z time.

Stick to Z time. Seriously. Shutting off when you say you will shut off goes a LONG way to reducing complaints and issues. And make sure that Z time is reasonable. In my neighborhood, I wouldn't go past 11:00 p.m.

For #2, keep volumes to the lowest point they NEED to be; don't crank for the sake of cranking. If parking is going to be an issue, try to minimize it; on a house party we threw years ago, we went down the street and used stakes and caution tape to make sure none of our people parked in anyone's lawn (and we came around the next morning and took it all down, we didn't leave it for them to deal with). Keep your party indoors / on your own property; don't let it spill into your neighbor's yard / stoop / alley behind their place. Ask folks taking smoke breaks or congregating outside to keep their voices down, etc.

Stake someone connected with throwing the show or connected to the house at the front door at all times, SOBER. If an angry neighbor or a cop shows up, the last thing you want is for some knucklehead attendee to piss them off or let them in. A resident or party manager who has their head about them can talk calmly to the neighbor or cop, apologize for things "getting a little rowdy" and assure them that the volume will be turned down / guests will be calmed down / etc. etc., nothing to see here. Then follow through - turn down the volume a bit, corral your rowdier guests, whatever.

A house I wasn't a resident of but was on the "party committee" for regular 150+ guest parties followed these guidelines, we had live bands and open bars, very few complaints from the neighbors and the one time the cops showed up they never got past the porch. Good luck.
The last bit about having someone out front in case neighbor or cops come due to noise is great advice much thanks all responses are highly appreciated
Streetcleaner2
Contact Mic

Post by Streetcleaner2 »

In conclusion what is the ideal situation for this
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

Basically when it comes to organizing noise shows, there are no ideal solutions, only more or less tolerable compromises. Besides diy shows in garages or basements, dive bars, art galleries and hipterish (with no insult intended, nothing against hipsters) cafes are possibilities. All come with their own pro’s and con’s. The fact that there is no money in noise is simultaneously liberating in the final analysis, but frustrating on a practical level.
housepig
Thrashmaster

Post by housepig »

Streetcleaner2 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:53 am In conclusion what is the ideal situation for this
The ideal situation is one that is affordable and tolerant. Usually "affordable" means a business that has other means of support besides noise shows; in Minneapolis right now, it's generally art galleries or spaces that will host shows, bars that will host shows (still hoping for the Kitty Cat Klub to reopen!), or not-exactly-bars like the Fraternal Order of Eagles that will allow a variety of shows to be booked (the MPLS Eagles has frequently hosted noise shows in one performance room while square dancing is going on in another). Usual best-case-scenario is that the venue takes a minimal share of the door money, in hopes that folks will buy drinks & food.

"Tolerant" is a bigger variable, as you need a venue that will accommodate something that most people wouldn't consider art. Bars that might understand a black-metal or death-metal showcase because, as extreme as it may be, it's using conventional instruments in a conventional format*, can and do shake their heads at noise shows because it's so far removed from their experience.

(*I know I'm drawing generalizations here, don't @ me)

It's tough - it takes a lot of persistence and energy to put one show together, much less recurring shows.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Streetcleaner2 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:57 am
SS1535 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:37 pm I have a lot of discretion for my neighbors, as I have been on the recieving end of noise problems many times before (though I also live in relatively close proximity to them). While this has limited my ability to play/record noise in some capacities, I accept that a neighborhood is probably not the right place for it anyway.
What other options are available? If not a neighborhood? venues can be hard to get into so what other options do we have or what types of venues would be fitting , really appreciate any responses
The main response that I have taken is changing my recording/playing practice so that nothing is out loud anymore. I just run everything through headphones and record with a line directly out of my amp. It makes piercing feedback and metal work largely impossible, but I have found that I personally do better with field recording/sound assemblages anyway.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

SS1535 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:29 pm I just run everything through headphones and record with a line directly out of my amp. It makes piercing feedback and metal work largely impossible, but I have found that I personally do better with field recording/sound assemblages anyway
Ha, and apologies for the smart remark, but anyone ever done a headphones-only event? I've been to installations doing things with loud in the earhole sensory deprivation chamber like shizzle, but not like full venue efforts in the regard. The sheer surrealness of the idear of a performer going apeshit to an ostensibly silent room would be worth the price of admission.

And you could definitely get plenty of piercing feedback if desired.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

As local housing prices, and even the prices for vacant land, continue to skyrocket, I keep worrying that I won't be able to afford to live here any more. $__$ Apparently, yuppies having a giant playpen is more valuable than homing the gristle-sacks greasing their stupid wheels in the first place. $__$

I keep getting very anxious about wanting to snap up land just to squat it and try to keep it away from shitty developers who want to put in another chain store or rich bitch mcmansion home cluster, but no one seems interested in pooling resources to buy land.

Would be great to just have a big, open field for setting up a gig/studio space with no residences nearby at any rate... A subsection of my Neverland Ranch/militia-training compound, perhaps!
Ineffable Slime
Hard Panning

Post by Ineffable Slime »

1. Get a decent PA, preferably stereo, preferably with a sub. This can be daunting, but you can find a lot of old church gear on Craigslist/church sales, etc. Go into it with a few people and the costs come down. If you start trying to book "bigger" names you're going to run into people with specific backline needs but stereo/sub should get you through most of it.

2. Your neighbors probably can't hear you as well as you think, wherever you are hosting, just run a sound check some time and see how loud it is outside. Everyone assumes noise shows are just metal shows here because it's all the same "grrunngghh" and feedback

3. Know local noise ordinances; in ABQ the police can't do shit until 10PM, even then it's a warning, then a citation. If you know when you NEED to stop, it helps with planning.

4. Keep the show moving; don't space sets out by a half hour like a punk show. Have everyone set up and swap out with 5-10 minutes between artists. This prevents attrition and if the show is going to get cut early, lets you pack in as much as possible.

5. For venues; house can be in a pain the ass as you WILL piss off neighbors. Find a coffee shop, find a DIY space you can rent, just make sure you're not dealing with some ponytail dickhead sound guy who thinks noise is going to "damage his gear". If they don't know what a PAD is they can suck a dick.

For MAKING noise, headphones, mixer and a DAW go a long way. or do the whitehouse thing and record vocals in the car. Toss trash around in the woods. You don't always need to mic an amp, but when you do, try and find someone with a studio space.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:34 am
SS1535 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:29 pm I just run everything through headphones and record with a line directly out of my amp. It makes piercing feedback and metal work largely impossible, but I have found that I personally do better with field recording/sound assemblages anyway
Ha, and apologies for the smart remark, but anyone ever done a headphones-only event? I've been to installations doing things with loud in the earhole sensory deprivation chamber like shizzle, but not like full venue efforts in the regard. The sheer surrealness of the idear of a performer going apeshit to an ostensibly silent room would be worth the price of admission.

And you could definitely get plenty of piercing feedback if desired.
The first thing that comes to mind, interestingly enough, are the streamed noise shows that went on a few times over the Internet during Covid. I never really thought about how that might make for a different live experience, though, as I just thought about them as if they were videos of past shows.

The image that you provide at the end, almost like a reverse John Cage!
housepig
Thrashmaster

Post by housepig »

Ineffable Slime wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:04 pm
4. Keep the show moving; don't space sets out by a half hour like a punk show. Have everyone set up and swap out with 5-10 minutes between artists. This prevents attrition and if the show is going to get cut early, lets you pack in as much as possible.
THIS ALL DAMN DAY.

The only reason for that much time in between sets is poor planning or poor show management.
Cementimental
Hard Panning

Post by Cementimental »

Atrophist wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:42 pm Basically when it comes to organizing noise shows, there are no ideal solutions, only more or less tolerable compromises.
I dunno, I've been to some pretty ideal noise shows in my time :)
Cementimental
Hard Panning

Post by Cementimental »

Ineffable Slime wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:04 pmor do the whitehouse thing and record vocals in the car.
I can't remember who it was but some years back in the USA someone organised a whole noise fest in a humvee limo, incredible idea!

I like the idea of hiring a boat for a gig but probably would be expensive and hard to find a good party-boat company who will 'get' a noise show

Some people here in London have been taking portable PA and doing guerilla shows on tidal river beaches, out-of-the-way underpasses etc. They use a small mains powered PA run off some surprisingly tiny chargeable mains-powering battery, which is apparently a thing in this futuristic year 2022
cementimental.bandcamp.com - harsh Noise, rough music and circuit bending since 2000ad
disgustingcathedral.bandcamp.com - Dungeon Noise
isntses.bandcamp.com - Intergalactic noise/music
isntses.etsy.com - Psychogeographic noise synths
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

Cementimental wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:44 am
Atrophist wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:42 pm Basically when it comes to organizing noise shows, there are no ideal solutions, only more or less tolerable compromises.
I dunno, I've been to some pretty ideal noise shows in my time :)
Well, you live in a big city. And what I had in mind anyway is the starting point you have to work with when you begin organizing, not the end result. Which can certainly can be ideal, having adjusted for circumstances.
Cementimental
Hard Panning

Post by Cementimental »

Very true :)

I actually with there were more house shows here in the UK/London but large basements and far away neighbors are relatively rare here
cementimental.bandcamp.com - harsh Noise, rough music and circuit bending since 2000ad
disgustingcathedral.bandcamp.com - Dungeon Noise
isntses.bandcamp.com - Intergalactic noise/music
isntses.etsy.com - Psychogeographic noise synths
shrouded.in.antiquity
Hard Panning

Post by shrouded.in.antiquity »

Ineffable Slime wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:04 pm 4. Keep the show moving; don't space sets out by a half hour like a punk show. Have everyone set up and swap out with 5-10 minutes between artists. This prevents attrition and if the show is going to get cut early, lets you pack in as much as possible.
Excellent advice all around but especially this just in general. No more punk time. Society has progressed past the need for punk time.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

htp_systems wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:01 pm No more punk time. Society has progressed past the need for punk time.
Please, yes. I gotta be up at 6:30 for work. I turn into a pumpkin past 10 PM.

Last two shows I went to the schedule dragged so long past the anointed set times I just left. I seen a lotta good bands, you will have to really wow me to stay out past 11 standing around....
+hp+
Hard Panning

Post by +hp+ »

headphones? not be loud?

where is oziris to come in here and call you guys a bunch of charlatans?

ive seen a billion noise sets by amateurs (hehe) where they obviously practiced for hours in their room with headphones and then when there is actual air their stuff is being sent through the feedback destroys the set

practicing/making noise with headphones I GUESS but like headphones will not cut it when you are practicing for a live set, especially stuff like contact mic junk noise, and the idea of a headphones only show is the most lame thing i could possibly imagine

not surprised NOBODY has mentioned the MOST important thing: soundproofing your diy venue. windows particularly but maybe floors too
the neighbors cant hear your noise show then what is there to complain about? people loudly smoking in the backyard or something ?

"dont be loud" like why are you in this game? to alienate the deaf and old? problematic
housepig
Thrashmaster

Post by housepig »

not all noise relies on volume, or feedback. or confrontation.
+hp+
Hard Panning

Post by +hp+ »

man yall going to bed at 9 pm or whatever
i think instead of a Noise Show

what yall are trying to go to is a SPA