THE RITA

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Noise Fanatic

Re: THE RITA

Post by 33033 »

Once shoved through a million pedals I bet there will be some interesting stuff coming out from it. I do like the idea though that Sam McKinlay said of it essentially being a "release" for the Rita, your own little interactive album in a special case.
My Face, Her Knee Pads
Contact Mic

Post by My Face, Her Knee Pads »

My first experience with the Rita was The Princesses, and that's probably still my favourite of his releases, as some of the frequencies remind me of the brittle clicks and crunches of glass or ice splitting. If I remember correctly, I didn't even flick through the album before buying it, as I usually would - I'd gone over the Rita's Discogs and chosen The Princesses based on the cover and title, which resonated with me the most. If The Princesses hadn't ended up resonating with me in terms of its sound, too, I wouldn't have continued listening to the Rita, as my favourite music by a particular artist, as far as I know, is always accompanied by my favourite visuals by that artist (unless there's a label aesthetic in play). My one issue with The Princesses is that the introductory samples are too long, but aside from that, this release, for me, represents the Rita's apex.
Often laughed at or formally complained about.
PetiteSoles
Hard Panning

Post by PetiteSoles »

New here and was going through older posts. This one seems right up my alley. Discogs says I have 76 The Rita releases in my collection but I really don’t know how accurate that one is. I’d like to thank New Forces for that re-issue of Magazine. Still hoping to grab an original tape sometime but that one is definitely a favorite now. Others that have stood out to me are Revealing Leopard Skin, Women Pissing (collab with Prurient), Nylons of Laura Antonelli, and two I’ve released, Overdriven Stocking Worship: Women’s Legs and Feet in Nylons, and the newest one, Kathryn, which of his most recent style of total minimal deconstruction I think it’s some of my favorite work of his.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

PetiteSoles wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:14 pm the newest one, Kathryn, which of his most recent style of total minimal deconstruction I think it’s some of my favorite work of his.
Just got this in the mail yesterday - haven't had a chance to spin it yet but the theme is dead on for the classic stuff I like and it looks great.
puritanwaste
Hard Panning

Post by puritanwaste »

PetiteSoles wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:14 pm New here and was going through older posts. This one seems right up my alley. Discogs says I have 76 The Rita releases in my collection but I really don’t know how accurate that one is. I’d like to thank New Forces for that re-issue of Magazine. Still hoping to grab an original tape sometime but that one is definitely a favorite now. Others that have stood out to me are Revealing Leopard Skin, Women Pissing (collab with Prurient), Nylons of Laura Antonelli, and two I’ve released, Overdriven Stocking Worship: Women’s Legs and Feet in Nylons, and the newest one, Kathryn, which of his most recent style of total minimal deconstruction I think it’s some of my favorite work of his.
I've been having difficulty getting into some of the more recent hyper-minimal crackle stuff, but after reading Sam's "artist statement" about the new CD you're putting out, it sounds cool and I'm curious to check it out.
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

I absolutely love the newer, most minimal releases from The Rita. I think short, minimal bursts or sketches of noise with silence between is a pretty promising path for an interesting, unique take on noise form. In many ways, those releases might be my favorite from The Rita.

Additionally, I think it is super funny and not that far away from the sound of someone wiggling an AUX cord. I don't think this has to take away from Sam's clear conceptual weight in his work.
thelastdaysofdisco
Sound Art

Post by thelastdaysofdisco »

The Rita was my ticket into noise -- I got into hardcore, then noise rock, and was always searching for something louder; found a Thousands of Dead Gods CD and it clicked.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

puritanwaste wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:50 pm
PetiteSoles wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:14 pm New here and was going through older posts. This one seems right up my alley. Discogs says I have 76 The Rita releases in my collection but I really don’t know how accurate that one is. I’d like to thank New Forces for that re-issue of Magazine. Still hoping to grab an original tape sometime but that one is definitely a favorite now. Others that have stood out to me are Revealing Leopard Skin, Women Pissing (collab with Prurient), Nylons of Laura Antonelli, and two I’ve released, Overdriven Stocking Worship: Women’s Legs and Feet in Nylons, and the newest one, Kathryn, which of his most recent style of total minimal deconstruction I think it’s some of my favorite work of his.
I've been having difficulty getting into some of the more recent hyper-minimal crackle stuff, but after reading Sam's "artist statement" about the new CD you're putting out, it sounds cool and I'm curious to check it out.
where would I find this? I'm digging Mary Kerridge on spotify. I need more!!
PetiteSoles
Hard Panning

Post by PetiteSoles »

I have copies in my distro. pukepink.bigcartel.com
JuntaCadre
Hard Panning

Post by JuntaCadre »

This was the first track by The Rita that maybe really clicked with me. Uploaded here to my youtube channel 10 years ago as of this month. Real classic, was very happy when it got re-released on Anna Kogler Found In The River on Phage a few years ago.
What Abraham found easiest, I would have found hard, namely to be joyful again with Isaac

Herukrat, Junta Cadre, Commuter.

https://juntacadre.bandcamp.com/
https://newforces.bandcamp.com/album/no-longer-penitent
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

JuntaCadre wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:48 pm

This was the first track by The Rita that maybe really clicked with me. Uploaded here to my youtube channel 10 years ago as of this month. Real classic, was very happy when it got re-released on Anna Kogler Found In The River on Phage a few years ago.
This track was one of my favorites. I used to listen to the video you uploaded everyday day for awhile evidently while I was in college. There's a part where the feedback cuts the tension and crackling for a second before it rushes back. That .8 of a second is one of the most critical moments for me when I was discovering "tricks" in noise.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Also found this documentary on The Rita:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFx-370IGsQ

after watching this I'm not digging the rita as much.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Really nice to see Anna Christie reissued. One that’s definitely been on my want list for a long time.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

luciferjonez wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:14 pm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-eN2XA1JNc

The Rita is one person?
Yes, of course...
THUH Rita.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

holy ghost wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:40 am Really nice to see Anna Christie reissued. One that’s definitely been on my want list for a long time.
One of my favourites!
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

luciferjonez wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:55 pm Also found this documentary on The Rita:

Because ??
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Happiness, forever wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:09 pm
luciferjonez wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:55 pm Also found this documentary on The Rita:

Because ??
it just didn't resonate with me.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

I have been meaning to watch this for a while---I guess I didn't miss much?

The super long video interview with him was good, though.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

That documentary revealed some kind of flawed ideas at the heart of his approach imo. The suggestion is that he uses recordings relevant to these obsessions he has and then processes those sounds through pedals. I like this idea as a way of tying in noise making with a given thematic approach, but what's happening with that octave/fuzz/gate (or whatever it was) makes it so most of what we are actually listening to is a synthetic square wave generated by the material run through more fx. There's nothing wrong with this and it might be exactly what he's trying to do - in fact this wouldn't be without precedent given his outward fetishisation of particular pedals etc on certain releases or even that daft photo of him with the balaclava and knife. However the selection and feel of his source materials are such a gigantic part of what he proffers aesthetically and also a major part what people celebrate and discuss about the project. When so much of the end results are audibly formed from a totally synthetic, electronic tone the method vs the statement don't really reconcile for me.

Just my view, to others it might be the perfect approach and that's fine. Despite any distance I've got from his stuff I still enjoy listening to it from time to time and very much support the existence of the project on whole.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

I suspect it's less about the resultant sounds than it is the sources themselves, and the fact that they are a significant part of the experience/process for Sam. All good meals return as shit in the end! So, consider that it's more about the act of interaction with the sources. The act of consuming and digesting them. Having them incorporated into the whole. Not necessarily to be observed as a physical characteristics like flecks of corn baubling the undigestible portions, but as a more holistic and abstract satiety of hunger.

I'm not suggesting that Sam doesn't care about the end results (the "shit" returned). More that he might still want to use speciffic sources without losing his focus on producing something that still sounds texturally harsh, spiky, prickly, etc.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Yeah this is probably correct and fair enough! The problems I describe sit with my receiving of said shit.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Also fair.

As a casual fan of The Rita, I have to admit that I'm only particularly intetested in his sounds and, to a lesser extent, his process. His aesthetic interests, themes, etc. are all but irrelevant to me, though I can appreciate that stuff for its added context. But I can see how there being such a focus on themes, imagery, visual aesthetics, endless references, etc. that really are not perceptible in the sounds could be at the very least puzzling to the point of frustration, or the idea that it's The Rita's world and we consumers are just renting space in it annoying. Especially for people who may not even care much for The Rita's sound or HNW in general. It's understandable to feel almost ripped off when the sounds don't seem relevant to the theme.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Yes good point, the work can still be underwhelming and not remarkable. But I’ve definitely never gone in for ideas that recordings or techniques should be complex or ‘real’ or anything like that. I’ve got plenty of time for high concept, low enjoyment music where nearly all of the aesthetic take away lies in knowing the back story of the end result. I even feel more drawn to go and revisit the Rita’s recent stuff now! I like the notion that he might be wilfully discarding all these normative compositional things in favour of honing his obsessional fine art take on harsh noise. Or maybe he genuinely just doesn’t understand how an octave pedal works and is convinced of something else. Whether or not he is doing one thing or another it’s enough to say it’s just the output of his own bloodyminded focus and that’s it. My own preference for a different treatment of source materials has nothing to do with him.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

SS1535 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:57 pmI have been meaning to watch this for a while---I guess I didn't miss much?
I really enjoyed it fwiw. I thought it was really well put together and I always like seeing where he goes next.