Listening Habits

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Re: Listening Habits

Post by Namahs »

Currently not having any working cd/cassette player at home so streaming and headphones is the way for me.

Gonna get some decent player at somepoint but I think most of time noise will still be headphones thing for me. Minding my own business and chilling.
WCN
Maniacs Only

Post by WCN »

An alternating major element of my home stereo seems to be always broken. For several months had no working tape deck which I finally replaced. Just recently found that the needle on my turntable is suddenly bent to fuck for some reason and sounds like total shit :-/
-NRRRRK-
Hard Panning

Post by -NRRRRK- »

WCN wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:58 pm An alternating major element of my home stereo seems to be always broken. For several months had no working tape deck which I finally replaced. Just recently found that the needle on my turntable is suddenly bent to fuck for some reason and sounds like total shit :-/
Is the system still working? If yes, try Mr. Stylus. Got a good variety of aftermarket styli for almost all systems, good prices. Got a nice replacement for my M75 II stylus from him.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

I stopped listening regularly to noise for months (and recently was dealing with an ear infection), but I've been so stressed out and depressed lately that I decided just now to go back to binging it and seeing if it helps.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

I got COVID earlier this week so my pattern has been to put something on my laptop, zone out and nap while it plays. I put of “Freermasonry” by Wold and I think I was kind of hallucinating, I was dreaming a bunch of garbage cans stole my bike.

I did the same thing with those later era Ulver albums earlier this week.

I can’t wait to get back to normal, this shit is FUCKED.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

holy ghost wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:40 pm a bunch of garbage cans stole my bike
You'll def need to use ^ as a project title sometime.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:30 am
holy ghost wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:40 pm a bunch of garbage cans stole my bike
Agreed.
-NRRRRK-
Hard Panning

Post by -NRRRRK- »

I get some real heavy "it's 2008 and I am surfing the old Tronics board" kind of vibe from that name. Love it.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

I can get down with this. I should have kept a dream journal. Thank you for your support.
oZiris
Hard Panning

Post by oZiris »

Burial - Street Halo [EP]
Heat Signature - Disguised Human Presence
John Cage / Milton Babbitt / Henri Pousseur - New Electronic Music From Leaders Of The Avant-Garde
Merzbow / Prurient - Black Crow Cyborg
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

My earache is significantly better and I was even able to listen to some power electronics yesterday. I don't remember if it helped with my stress level, but it made me happy. :)
Brian O'Blivion
Hard Panning

Post by Brian O'Blivion »

holy ghost wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:40 pm I put of “Freermasonry” by Wold
As a Wold super fan, I cannot allow this to go unacknowledged. Freermasonry was my favourite Wold album for a long time, but recently L.O.T.M.P. has been back on semi-regular rotation and is taking top spot these days.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

yullowteef wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:27 pm
holy ghost wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:40 pm I put of “Freermasonry” by Wold
As a Wold super fan, I cannot allow this to go unacknowledged. Freermasonry was my favourite Wold album for a long time, but recently L.O.T.M.P. has been back on semi-regular rotation and is taking top spot these days.
I don’t want to compete with your title of “Wold Super Fan” but fuck dude I LOVE this band. I think Stratification is my fav but I also love Screech Owl and Freermasonry. I’ve been a little off the grid with them for the past few years but really gotten back into them lately.
theLackwit
Sound Art

Post by theLackwit »

holy ghost wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:34 pm I don’t want to compete with your title of “Wold Super Fan” but fuck dude I LOVE this band. I think Stratification is my fav but I also love Screech Owl and Freermasonry. I’ve been a little off the grid with them for the past few years but really gotten back into them lately.
Have you heard any of Wold's recent stuff? Sean Campbell started the OWE CD label recently, and has put out a couple of Wold/Fauchion releases on it.

https://www.discogs.com/label/2805875-Owe-CD

I really liked Cobweb Resonant Frequencies. It's like a mix of classic Wold and the weirdo electronics of Black Mecha. You can follow his stuff here:

https://internalmasonry.com

I've been ordering his new stuff directly from him through the contact info on that blog.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

theLackwit wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:19 pm
holy ghost wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:34 pm I don’t want to compete with your title of “Wold Super Fan” but fuck dude I LOVE this band. I think Stratification is my fav but I also love Screech Owl and Freermasonry. I’ve been a little off the grid with them for the past few years but really gotten back into them lately.
Have you heard any of Wold's recent stuff? Sean Campbell started the OWE CD label recently, and has put out a couple of Wold/Fauchion releases on it.

https://www.discogs.com/label/2805875-Owe-CD

I really liked Cobweb Resonant Frequencies. It's like a mix of classic Wold and the weirdo electronics of Black Mecha. You can follow his stuff here:

https://internalmasonry.com

I've been ordering his new stuff directly from him through the contact info on that blog.
Wow, I had thought that Wold was long dead. But, of course I must ask, if he is reactivating with a label, can we expect any reissues of the old albums?
theLackwit
Sound Art

Post by theLackwit »

SS1535 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:44 pm Wow, I had thought that Wold was long dead. But, of course I must ask, if he is reactivating with a label, can we expect any reissues of the old albums?
I don't know for sure. He seems to be forward looking for the most part. But there is this reissue on another label, if one of the least noisy Wold offerings interests you:

https://www.ulyssa.rip/uly016

I went to order it, but shipping from the US to Canada was too high for comfort, plus I was trying to order to a friend's place in the States at the time to save on shipping and the timing of my trip there didn't work out with the production of the tape itself. So, I connected the label with Taylor to hopefully get some copies into the Scream & Writhe store so I can grab a copy there. I have the original, but this cassette reissue is supposed to have an extra track.

I'm very into Wold. My friends tease me for liking Black Mecha. I've had this poster up for many years now:

20221123_201125.jpg
20221123_201125.jpg (35.13 KiB) Viewed 1560 times

I'm sorry that this Wold talk is off topic. So, I'll add that I don't tend to listen to stuff out loud on my sound systems as much as I used to. I have a wife and daughter who don't want to be bombarded with the noisy stuff, so I tend to play poppier stuff when they're home (I've been searching for and building up an appreciation of pop music that I can get behind to listen to with the family), and blast the noisier stuff out loud when they're out, or when I'm working from home in my record room and I can close the door. I'll listen to a wide variety of things on CD in the car when commuting, and generally podcasts when I'm at work, but I have long periods of time in between playing cassettes and vinyl. I also tend to listen to albums only once through before moving onto the next thing because I only have a limited amount of time to listen to music, and too much music to listen to.
-NRRRRK-
Hard Panning

Post by -NRRRRK- »

theLackwit wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:23 pm I also tend to listen to albums only once through before moving onto the next thing because I only have a limited amount of time to listen to music, and too much music to listen to.
That is something I have been shifting to as well and I try to get listening to new stuff more than once again. Trying to get back into exploring new stuff by playing over and over, like one did as a teenager, and connecting more to the music/sound.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

SS1535 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:44 pmWow, I had thought that Wold was long dead. But, of course I must ask, if he is reactivating with a label, can we expect any reissues of the old albums?
If you're just looking for CDs Profound Lore has them direct from his webstore for very reasonable prices.

It would be wild to get Stratification or Screech Owl on vinyl though, I would definitely be down with those getting the ol' LP treatment. I would really like to grab Freermasonry on LP if I can find a copy cheap.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

holy ghost wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:50 pm
SS1535 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:44 pmWow, I had thought that Wold was long dead. But, of course I must ask, if he is reactivating with a label, can we expect any reissues of the old albums?
If you're just looking for CDs Profound Lore has them direct from his webstore for very reasonable prices.

It would be wild to get Stratification or Screech Owl on vinyl though, I would definitely be down with those getting the ol' LP treatment. I would really like to grab Freermasonry on LP if I can find a copy cheap.
Nice---though I must admit that I am not familiar with anything beyond Screech Owl. I think that had to have been one of the first pieces of noise I ever listened to, along with the obligatory "Pulse Demon."
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

A cool topic!

I recently decided that I wanted to cut out a majority of useless stimuli in my life, so I do not listen to music "on the go" (unless I am in someone else's car; I do not own a car) and I have cut down how much digital listening I do dramatically. Honestly, my idea has been to listen to less, listen more specifically, and to get more out of it. I have decent sound system with a turntable, CD player, cassette player, and an AUX - I will literally sit/lay down a few days a week to just listen to a stack of stuff and work that set-up. Additionally, I listen to a lot of stuff, mostly non-noise, when I cook.

This change occurred to me when I realized how much stuff I've heard in my life, how much garbage stuff is so easily and readily (and marketed/pushed) available, and how much time I spent "listening" to music while working over Covid/remote work that I wanted to be less "open" to the sounds of others. Life is short, so surveying the vast landscape of lowest tier power electronics on Bandcamp or vampyric Audacity-clipping black metal profoundly unattractive.

So, point being - I sit and listen a few times a week.