Project Feedback Thread

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
User avatar
Atrophist
Thrashmaster
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:25 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by Atrophist »

dertodesking wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:35 pm.

Can I ask you how you about your recording set-up? Do you record the outputs of your instruments directly to tape, do you mic an amp or you have a whole different process?
Yeah sure. This was done using pretty minimal gear, a modded walkman, an Electro Lobotomy crackle box, a few mainstream guitar pedals (EQ, delay, fuzz). The output was mixed into a guitar preamp / cab simulator (AMT F1), and then the output of that was recorded on tape. Later I recorded the tape onto Reaper for some minor post-production.

I live in an apartment building and work at night with the wife asleep a few doors away, so actual amps are unfortunately out of the question.
User avatar
dertodesking
Contact Mic
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:21 pm
Location: Montréal, QC
Contact:

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by dertodesking »

Atrophist wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:12 pm
dertodesking wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:03 pm Hey! here's a track i finished this weekend for my PE project Come and See. I'd love to know what y'all think of it.
I think most of it i've done with a couple of eurorack modules and my Elektron Analog Rythm. Then i've bounced everything
in Ableton, tweeked it to place everything where i wanted it to then i recorded the vocals. What i started to do recently is run
the song through my monitors and record what is coming out with a pair of mics to get the room sound. Then i slip it under
the original mix. Even though i have a small shitty basement room, i love the dept and natural feel it add. In the end i bounce
everything to tape and than back to the computer for some final tweeks.

Thats pretty much it. Thanks for listening!

https://soundcloud.com/uncle_bin/come-a ... al_sharing
OK, this is pretty much the type of stuff I like. Harsh and ugly, and primitive sounding. Based on your description of your process, you’ve clearly thought this out and made an effort (which is great), but this doesn’t sound too busy, or try-hard. So solid effort, basically.

The one thing that gives me pause is the vocals. It’s not that I don’t like them, but it feels like they should be mixed a little differently. They could be harsher, louder and punchier, OR they could be mixed even further down as just another ”instrumental” sound. That is obviously just my own opinion and there’s no right or wrong way to do this.
Awesome man! Thanks for checking it out and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm currently looking for the right balance for the vocals. I'm really into old-school PE where everything sounds like it sits in one room. I'm finding I'm getting better results by micing back my mix and recording the ambiant sound of the room. Plugins don't t give me the the same feel so I guess that next track I'm gonna leave them out all together. The vocals could be reworked I agree but, there's something that I like about them. It reminds me of an era when people making that music we're trying out things and weren't influenced by genre formatting.

Again, big thanks for checking it out! Really appreciate your feedbacks!
User avatar
dertodesking
Contact Mic
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:21 pm
Location: Montréal, QC
Contact:

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by dertodesking »

Atrophist wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:18 pm
dertodesking wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:35 pm.

Can I ask you how you about your recording set-up? Do you record the outputs of your instruments directly to tape, do you mic an amp or you have a whole different process?
Yeah sure. This was done using pretty minimal gear, a modded walkman, an Electro Lobotomy crackle box, a few mainstream guitar pedals (EQ, delay, fuzz). The output was mixed into a guitar preamp / cab simulator (AMT F1), and then the output of that was recorded on tape. Later I recorded the tape onto Reaper for some minor post-production.

I live in an apartment building and work at night with the wife asleep a few doors away, so actual amps are unfortunately out of the question.
Nice thanks for the infos. I just recently got a room to myself in the apartment to make music, so I can make a little bit of noise depending of the hour of the day. Still I've gotta pick the right moments to do vocals. Even if I'm the basement my wife and son hear me in the whole apartment when I'm screaming my ass off haha! We do the most with what we have and its clearly not stopping you or affect the quality of your output. Keep it up man! Cheers!
User avatar
Namahs
Maniacs Only
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:20 am

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by Namahs »

https://namahsnoise.bandcamp.com/album/disoriented

Got couple new tracks online. Few pedals straight into focusrite/reaper. Some ideas behind the tracks:

First track:
No idea where you are or why you are there. That clipping/"snapping" sound reminds me of some cut-scene where one would slowly be snapping out of own reality. Seeing things that are not there, hearing something that doesn't exist. Paranoia.

Second track:
Trying to figure your way out. The higher you climb, the deeper you end.

Third track:
You accept the situation and start wandering around the void. Looking for something but you don't know what.
User avatar
Namahs
Maniacs Only
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:20 am

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by Namahs »

Not sure if right topic but anyways.

I've noticed lately that I've shifted Namahs stuff more into harsher sound. Excited but still gonna keep the dark ambient elements there etc.

I also got an idea few nights ago and went today to our rehearsal room. Kinda started a sideproject which is coming together quite nice so far.
This has a clear main theme which it revolves around and songs arent even that long.
More will be revealed later on.
noisehangover
Contact Mic
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:06 pm

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by noisehangover »

Hi! My last track on IDR. If there are listeners, then I would be interested in any of your opinions.
_blue_martyr_
Sound Art
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:35 am

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by _blue_martyr_ »

EP I finished this past weekend I was working on for the last couple weeks. This is my first effort and project as far as recording. the collage for the album art is my own.

The concept is essentially the death and/or killing of fear and through the death/murder of fear, overcoming one’s desires to become self actualized. Heavily influenced by eastern religious philosophy.

https://bluemartyr.bandcamp.com/album/m ... ers-corpse
User avatar
Cementimental
C20
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:19 pm

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by Cementimental »

not exactly Noise noise but here's my latest broken transmission / abandonwave vapor-noise album:
eternal september cover 2.jpg
eternal september cover 2.jpg (37.84 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
https://456aeblitpipe2makingnewcontext. ... /album/--3
cementimental.bandcamp.com - harsh Noise, rough music and circuit bending since 2000ad
disgustingcathedral.bandcamp.com - Dungeon Noise
isntses.bandcamp.com - Intergalactic noise/music
isntses.etsy.com - Psychogeographic noise synths
User avatar
Parthenon_23
Contact Mic
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:29 pm

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by Parthenon_23 »

User avatar
Parthenon_23
Contact Mic
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:29 pm

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by Parthenon_23 »

Feedback welcome. WIP.

https://tinyurl.com/3uem3uwp
Thank you.
Last edited by Parthenon_23 on Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
thatonekidatshows
C20
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:35 am

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by thatonekidatshows »

Parthenon_23 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:20 am Feedback welcome. WIP.

https://tinyurl.com/3uem3uwp
Thank you.
Hey, man. I just listened to some of your material, and I think you're definitely onto something. You have a decent palate of sounds and keep things interesting for the duration of the track(s) without becoming too self-indulgent. That being said, I wouldn't say that it's quite "there" yet. Unfortunately, I can't quite put my finger on what it is that I think you should improve. I don't feel like anything is missing... Perhaps you just need to spend more time with it to get everything to fit together seamlessly. I wish I could offer feedback that wasn't so vague, but I hope that helps somewhat.

The only really specific things I want to point are on that track you initially posted. There wasn't enough low-end for my taste. Try using a more rumbling and chunky sound source to fill that part of the sonic space in. I also feel like the mix should've been a bit more centered. It prevented the different elements from blending as well as they could've if they had been panned more towards the center. For that, I would suggest panning different tracks only partially to the right or left and then using a light bus compressor to "glue" them together.

Of course, this is all what I would do to improve it in my own eyes if it were my work. Do whatever fits your vision. All in all, though, I would say that you are certainly on the right track. Keep it up!
User avatar
Parthenon_23
Contact Mic
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:29 pm

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by Parthenon_23 »

thatonekidatshows wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:45 pm
Parthenon_23 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:20 am Feedback welcome. WIP.

https://tinyurl.com/3uem3uwp
Thank you.
Hey, man. I just listened to some of your material, and I think you're definitely onto something. You have a decent palate of sounds and keep things interesting for the duration of the track(s) without becoming too self-indulgent. That being said, I wouldn't say that it's quite "there" yet. Unfortunately, I can't quite put my finger on what it is that I think you should improve. I don't feel like anything is missing... Perhaps you just need to spend more time with it to get everything to fit together seamlessly. I wish I could offer feedback that wasn't so vague, but I hope that helps somewhat.

The only really specific things I want to point are on that track you initially posted. There wasn't enough low-end for my taste. Try using a more rumbling and chunky sound source to fill that part of the sonic space in. I also feel like the mix should've been a bit more centered. It prevented the different elements from blending as well as they could've if they had been panned more towards the center. For that, I would suggest panning different tracks only partially to the right or left and then using a light bus compressor to "glue" them together.

Of course, this is all what I would do to improve it in my own eyes if it were my work. Do whatever fits your vision. All in all, though, I would say that you are certainly on the right track. Keep it up!
I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and for the great feedback. I agree with you that nothing ive done, so far, is completely ready for release or anything, which is why i just put things on Soundcloud for right now. I'm looking for opinions and the slightest encouragement ("don't encourage him") tbh at this point. Im certainly not totally satisfied with anything ive made yet but it's giving me a new perspective on the music(?) i love the most.

I'm finding that as much as i like going "balls to the wall" in the lab, and all the chance elements encountered in that I really am having possibly even more fun "on the operating table" a few days after a session has been recorded and editing it, chopping it up, boiling it down, mixing.
I do have a vision that I'm aiming for with this project--it's a pretty bleak, trash-impacted vision but a vision nonetheless...

thanks!
haldorsen
Blank Tape
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:35 pm

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by haldorsen »

Parthenon_23 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:20 am Feedback welcome. WIP.

https://tinyurl.com/3uem3uwp
Thank you.
Overall I like what you've got going on sound wise, but I think I agree with thatonekidatshows in that it's not quite sounding right just yet. Yeah, more bass would be good as I think layers tend to be in same frequency range as far as eq goes and it makes it a flatter sounding than I think it could be. Also I think the different channels are a bit too isolated from each other and end up sounding more like little chunks thrown at the wall than a whole composed piece. Not sure what kind of gear you're working with but it sounds like there might be a bit too much variety in panning in the daw. I think something that might be missing is an anchor to hold all the channels together, so I might suggest limiting your panning range/selection to try and establish a middle ground or maybe have more fluid panning flowing between channels on top of a middle base layer
User avatar
Parthenon_23
Contact Mic
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:29 pm

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by Parthenon_23 »

haldorsen wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:19 pm
Parthenon_23 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:20 am Feedback welcome. WIP.

https://tinyurl.com/3uem3uwp
Thank you.
Overall I like what you've got going on sound wise, but I think I agree with thatonekidatshows in that it's not quite sounding right just yet. Yeah, more bass would be good as I think layers tend to be in same frequency range as far as eq goes and it makes it a flatter sounding than I think it could be. Also I think the different channels are a bit too isolated from each other and end up sounding more like little chunks thrown at the wall than a whole composed piece. Not sure what kind of gear you're working with but it sounds like there might be a bit too much variety in panning in the daw. I think something that might be missing is an anchor to hold all the channels together, so I might suggest limiting your panning range/selection to try and establish a middle ground or maybe have more fluid panning flowing between channels on top of a middle base layer
That is very helpful. Yes, i was actually trying to have variety in the sounds coming from the channels. So it's entirely likely that in my inexperience i went a bit crazy with it.
Last edited by Parthenon_23 on Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
thatonekidatshows
C20
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:35 am

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by thatonekidatshows »

Parthenon_23 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:43 pm If i leave everything in the middle wont it basically just sound mono, though?
Well, assuming that all of your tracks themselves are mono, yes. That is why I like to pan my tracks partially (say, 40%-60% right or left--not 100% to either side) so that they still feel centered, but the result is not mono.
User avatar
Parthenon_23
Contact Mic
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:29 pm

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by Parthenon_23 »

That's solid info!
Thanks!
Last edited by Parthenon_23 on Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Parthenon_23
Contact Mic
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:29 pm

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by Parthenon_23 »

Couple of new things...all are somewhat works in progress...i think the recordings sound quite a bit better, since I have pared things down and restrained myself from altering the panning too too much.

I really appreciate the feedback so far both on here and in private, from those who've given me their time. Thanks!

https://tinyurl.com/3uem2uw
Last edited by Parthenon_23 on Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Parthenon_23
Contact Mic
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:29 pm

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by Parthenon_23 »

dertodesking wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:37 pm
Atrophist wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:12 pm
dertodesking wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:03 pm Hey! here's a track i finished this weekend for my PE project Come and See. I'd love to know what y'all think of it.
I think most of it i've done with a couple of eurorack modules and my Elektron Analog Rythm. Then i've bounced everything
in Ableton, tweeked it to place everything where i wanted it to then i recorded the vocals. What i started to do recently is run
the song through my monitors and record what is coming out with a pair of mics to get the room sound. Then i slip it under
the original mix. Even though i have a small shitty basement room, i love the dept and natural feel it add. In the end i bounce
everything to tape and than back to the computer for some final tweeks.

Thats pretty much it. Thanks for listening!

https://soundcloud.com/uncle_bin/come-a ... al_sharing
OK, this is pretty much the type of stuff I like. Harsh and ugly, and primitive sounding. Based on your description of your process, you’ve clearly thought this out and made an effort (which is great), but this doesn’t sound too busy, or try-hard. So solid effort, basically.

The one thing that gives me pause is the vocals. It’s not that I don’t like them, but it feels like they should be mixed a little differently. They could be harsher, louder and punchier, OR they could be mixed even further down as just another ”instrumental” sound. That is obviously just my own opinion and there’s no right or wrong way to do this.
Awesome man! Thanks for checking it out and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm currently looking for the right balance for the vocals. I'm really into old-school PE where everything sounds like it sits in one room. I'm finding I'm getting better results by micing back my mix and recording the ambiant sound of the room. Plugins don't t give me the the same feel so I guess that next track I'm gonna leave them out all together. The vocals could be reworked I agree but, there's something that I like about them. It reminds me of an era when people making that music we're trying out things and weren't influenced by genre formatting.

Again, big thanks for checking it out! Really appreciate your feedbacks!
This is really raucous and good. The vocals sound very ominous and foreboding, like they are skulking over a nest of squealing vipers or something far worse. Very engaging overall and I love that ending --leave the roots dangling!
User avatar
Namahs
Maniacs Only
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:20 am

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by Namahs »

Been doing some researching for new approach to my material. I'm slow as hell but getting there again.

Lately I've been bouncing around some ideas about sideproject(/s) revolving around some tv-shows that I watch.
Like something about lets say Al Bundy from Married With Children.
Really outdated humor but there are some punch lines there that crack me up everytime.
Just to be clear. Free of misogynism, bodyshaming or being offensive overall.

Might be that this will stay just as an idea.
eternalscorekeeper
Sound Art
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:28 pm

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by eternalscorekeeper »

https://rollcage.bandcamp.com/album/eating-the-cost

hello howdy!

i'm a lurker from time to time and i wanted to post my recordings for the first time in hopes i get a real dissection from folks with an ear. Everything is eurorack, digital and analogue. i am still learning and coming to understand this format i am building. i am just glad to indulge in attributing the human condition to a noise machine that i love. samples from track 4 and 6 are generic and are repetitive but i enjoyed playing with them. i fear that some of the tracks have a sense of "i like this this sound but i am indulging to much in them too much" and am looking for an outsider opinion. thank you.

note: track 2 uploaded strangely onto bandcamp and actually ends around 3:22.
User avatar
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:04 am

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by luciferjonez »

eternalscorekeeper wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:17 am https://rollcage.bandcamp.com/album/eating-the-cost

hello howdy!

i'm a lurker from time to time and i wanted to post my recordings for the first time in hopes i get a real dissection from folks with an ear. Everything is eurorack, digital and analogue. i am still learning and coming to understand this format i am building. i am just glad to indulge in attributing the human condition to a noise machine that i love. samples from track 4 and 6 are generic and are repetitive but i enjoyed playing with them. i fear that some of the tracks have a sense of "i like this this sound but i am indulging to much in them too much" and am looking for an outsider opinion. thank you.

note: track 2 uploaded strangely onto bandcamp and actually ends around 3:22.
I enjoyed your stuff! Nice movement, good use of effects, very nicely produced.
User avatar
Namahs
Maniacs Only
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:20 am

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by Namahs »

Lately I've been seeing alot of videos where drummers run their set through pedal boards and Im loving the idea.
As soon as we get out rehearsal room runninf again, I'll start researching. Dunno if gonna it more with noise stuff or going to add it into our stoner doom bands sonic mayhem.
User avatar
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 7:49 pm

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Namahs wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:49 am Lately I've been seeing alot of videos where drummers run their set through pedal boards and Im loving the idea.
As soon as we get out rehearsal room runninf again, I'll start researching. Dunno if gonna it more with noise stuff or going to add it into our stoner doom bands sonic mayhem.
I've often though that could be a lot of fun to process someone else's live drumming. Would maybe be trash to listen to, I don't know. But I think the interplay between two people improvising could be fun either way.
User avatar
SS1535
I Heart Noise
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:38 pm
Location: SoCal USA!

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by SS1535 »

Namahs wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:49 am Lately I've been seeing alot of videos where drummers run their set through pedal boards and Im loving the idea.
As soon as we get out rehearsal room runninf again, I'll start researching. Dunno if gonna it more with noise stuff or going to add it into our stoner doom bands sonic mayhem.
I have done this on a limited capacity in a rehearsal studio, and it worked great. One additional thing that I learned, though, was that it you point a large enough speaker at the drum set, contact mic'ing various parts (and running that through pedals) can produce some awesome feedback drones.
User avatar
Namahs
Maniacs Only
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:20 am

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by Namahs »

SS1535 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:52 pm
Namahs wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:49 am Lately I've been seeing alot of videos where drummers run their set through pedal boards and Im loving the idea.
As soon as we get out rehearsal room runninf again, I'll start researching. Dunno if gonna it more with noise stuff or going to add it into our stoner doom bands sonic mayhem.
I have done this on a limited capacity in a rehearsal studio, and it worked great. One additional thing that I learned, though, was that it you point a large enough speaker at the drum set, contact mic'ing various parts (and running that through pedals) can produce some awesome feedback drones.
I tried contact micing my drums one time and running it through an amp. It was straight up nightmareish haha!
Post Reply