BBBlood - Deaf and Capital (Fantasy Knife)

Dedicated reviews section. All writers welcome.
shrouded.in.antiquity
Hard Panning

BBBlood - Deaf and Capital (Fantasy Knife)

Post by shrouded.in.antiquity »

Deaf and Capital is the third release on Fantasy Knife which, if I remember correctly, is based in NYC. It is presented as a white cassette with a dissected frog graphic stamped on each side of the tape. It’s very striking, and it was included on a pin which was sent by the label with orders. It appears the text on the J-card is stamped on and I’ve always been a fan of that approach. This is not a new release, although upon hearing it again I felt compelled to write about it.

Both sides of this tape really take on lives of their own. I’ve had multiple moments while listening where I had to stop and think “wait… what did I just hear?” It’s always difficult to speak about Noise in concrete terms. People often throw around the phrase “defies categorization,” although that always feels like somewhat of a cop-out. Deaf and Capital inhabits a place somewhere in left field. Everything you’d want to hear in terms of excellent and creative harsh noise is presented on this cassette. It’s always easy to rely on the phrase “dynamic” but in this case BBBlood unleashes upon the listener a variety of dynamics. A much wider variety in fact, than the all too common “loud” and “not loud.”
Tendrils of fairly static crunch and rumble cut imposing figures over top of writhing bubbling vats, where a frenetic stew of needling, hissing, and otherwise nagging sounds swirl throughout both tracks, especially in the front half of Side A titled “Chop Off Fingers.” An occasional loop floats to the top of the churning din, providing a recognizable form, but all too soon sinking back into the depths.
On Side B, “Dissolver” lingers more so on specific sounds and ideas, although I am faced with more head-turning moments where I stare at my tape player as if this will somehow help me understand what it is I’m actually hearing. Whatever sonic development or interjection I heard did not wait for me recognition. It has wormed its way back into the murk. These recordings have taken multiple listens for me to be able to actually sit down and write about what I am hearing.
Very surreal sounding editing throughout both sides of this tape. Faster cuts between different sounds and fidelities at the beginning and towards the ending, although they aren’t hard cuts. Sounds seem to move independently of one another, slithering over one another, they know exactly where it is they need to be.

While long sold out, copies pop up from time to time on Discogs and there may be copies lurking in a distro somewhere. Recommended for fans of left-of-center harsh noise, great editing, excellent development of ideas and isn’t afraid to linger on good ones when it is warranted.
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Re: BBBlood - Deaf and Capital (Fantasy Knife)

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

htp_systems wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:24 pm
Very surreal sounding editing throughout both sides of this tape. Faster cuts between different sounds and fidelities at the beginning and towards the ending, although they aren’t hard cuts. Sounds seem to move independently of one another, slithering over one another, they know exactly where it is they need to be.

Recommended for fans of left-of-center harsh noise, great editing, excellent development of ideas and isn’t afraid to linger on good ones when it is warranted.
It's a very good tape. One I spun quite a bit last year and agree with your points on all fronts. It's the only tape I've checked out from the artist so far, unfortunately. Any recommendations for other BBBlood releases in the same vein?
shrouded.in.antiquity
Hard Panning

Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:06 pm Any recommendations for other BBBlood releases in the same vein?
This tape was actually my introduction to this artist. After finding the completely exquisite harsh noise work of the project Seepage, I discovered the Fantasy Knife label and was able to get that second batch that featured this tape. Didn't know anything about this project but if it appeared alongside Seepage, I figured it was probably compelling harsh noise. (If I remember correctly the Fantasy Knife label was or is run by one of the members of that project). I found the BBBlood bandcamp page and I have only checked out a few of the releases available there, but the split with Tinnitustimulus really stuck out to me. It features less of the surreal editing that's present on Deaf and Capital and leans more heavily on junk noise construction. When I've heard more by the artist and have a better idea of what to recommend I'll let you know. The BBBlood bandcamp can be found here:
https://bbblood.bandcamp.com/music
shrouded.in.antiquity
Hard Panning

Side note, I would be very interested to hear more noise in this vein either by this project or other projects if anyone has any recommendations.
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Didn't realize he had a Bandcamp, thanks for linking! I'll work through some of the other material as well, appreciate it.

And yes, Seepage is fantastic. I think it might have been Kiran Arora putting out those tapes on Fantasy Knife. Also, looks like new Kiran Arora and Seepage material was just released on Receiving Vault here, https://receivingvault.bigcartel.com/
Last edited by Lactating Tardigrade on Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duckworship
C20

Post by duckworship »

Any of BBBlood I've heard is really good - only listened to snippets of this release but it's very dynamic and "organic" sounding of noise organisms similar to the Connive tape on Reculse Activity. I wouldn't be surprised if the tinnitustimulus split FUCKING RULES
shrouded.in.antiquity
Hard Panning

Thanks for reminding me about that Connive tape, I remember it sold out quick when it dropped and I was only able to hear on bandcamp. Genuinely fucking weird harsh noise. I'll have to listen to them both in the same session sometime soon.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Very cool to see Paul/BBBlood getting spoken about. He has been active for a great many years but never really over played his hand with releases, just sticking out well timed, decent work in small bursts. Always was quite an overlooked artists sadly, despite having gotten about a bit.

I've had the personal pleasure of touring, gigging, collaborating and drinking with him often over the years and watching his development has been very interesting. He has produced works of heavy, dynamic noise, more weird, atmospheric stuff and recently under his own name, loop based musique concrete/sound collage kind of pieces. He's been at it long enough that I guess remaining lodged into pure harsh noise wasn't really tickling his creative fancy any more which I understand. Nonetheless, I will always think of Paul as a pivotal part of that 00's era where it really did seem like there was a bunch of dedicated, proper noise taking place in the UK before things got a bit more diverse creatively but at the expense of the wild, harsh energy.

There was recently a gig in London celebrating 20 years of BBBlood! A really good time. Honestly it's been ages since I've revisited many of his older tapes and cdrs and I think I'm overdue. There was some great stuff from him in the mid/late 00's and I'll plan to listen and report back with modern ears. I'd say everything available on his bandcamp is gonna be worth checking out. I'm interested in how the older gear holds up!
MuhSteve
Hard Panning

Post by MuhSteve »

There was a gig celebrating 20 Years of BBBlood!! How did I miss this ... ????
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

MuhSteve wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:41 am There was a gig celebrating 20 Years of BBBlood!! How did I miss this ... ????
I fear it must have been a bit too low key and, dare I say, London centric in promotional scope. Inadvertently however. Support came from Lassiters Complex (Aqua Dentata), Spencer, Malvern Brume and some amazing DJ named Duncan Harrison spinning between sets.

I had a relisten to 'Rust' on BBBlood's bandcamp and a few tracks from 'Miami Vice On Ice' on youtube. Both fantastic. Rust is a tremendous work out of crumbling, peaking harsh noise and subtle atmospheres. Wonderfully broken sounding but with loads of body and movement. MVOI will have been one of the first BBBlood things I ever got so it's special to me but I have to say it holds up even better than I remember. To the point where I feel like I'm only just appreciating how good it is now! Very different to something like Rust...goofy, spastic and more frenzied or adhd riddled, making lots of use of samples/found sounds or whatever. Maybe think Hanatarash by way of Macronympha? I dunno, but those are 2 clear influences. Certainly a more kitchen sink style approach and, of course, rough round the edges in its own way (part of the charm to have 'mistakes' left in imo) but still Paul's deft ear for harsh composition is 100% in place even from this early point. It definitely reminds me of a time and style in harsh noise that is very much gone now, or sorely lacking. Fucked up, oddly psychedelic, surreal, abstract and fun without being too stupid. Most importantly, totally break neck wild and insane! I appreciate very much that Paul would move on from this kind of thing but I'm really glad it's still available to hear. More digging through the archives to come!
duckworship
C20

Post by duckworship »

adult human wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:02 am MVOI will have been one of the first BBBlood things I ever got so it's special to me but I have to say it holds up even better than I remember
I got the "master" MP3s of that album from Acin who ran Absalom Recordings a long time ago... As far as I'm guessing, he was part of the American distribution for that and also somehow managed to do a split with him back then. I'll have to visit them sooner than later and see if I can be on the same page as you mister Duncan
shrouded.in.antiquity
Hard Panning

adult human wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:02 am Fucked up, oddly psychedelic, surreal, abstract and fun without being too stupid. Most importantly, totally break neck wild and insane! I appreciate very much that Paul would move on from this kind of thing but I'm really glad it's still available to hear. More digging through the archives to come!
Thanks for sharing the insight! I'll have to check out these other releases you've mentioned. My favorite noise is always the stuff that makes me stop and go "wait.. what the fuck IS this?" The mid-2000s BBBlood output seems to scratch that itch for me. That 20 year anniversary show sounds incredible.
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Tape added to Bandcamp for anyone interested:

https://bbblood.bandcamp.com/album/deaf-and-capital