New Wave of Canadian Noise

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
WCN
Maniacs Only

New Wave of Canadian Noise

Post by WCN »

In preparation for the chat I had with Sam Risser of JUTE for the podcast the other day, it really dawned upon me how many newer very good and unique noise projects have come out of Canada over the past few years. Each quite different from each other, yet somehow “Canadian” (?). I’m kind of late to checking some out and drawing the connection, but now really eager to follow more closely. Here are some that I’m thinking of:

JUTE
MOT
PRIMITIVE ISOLATION TACTICS
SPRING OF LIFE
TOANCHE DWELLING
MURMUR
DEEP GREY
CATHOLIC STARE

Who else should be mentioned? There are of course many greats from previous “generations” but I feel these projects are all from the past 2-3 years really active. There’s a certain multicolored spectrum I get from them, like a bag of M&M’s. What makes contemporary Canadian noise unique?
Noise Fanatic

Re: New Wave of Canadian Noise

Post by 33033 »

Echthros
https://echthrosnoise.bandcamp.com

S. Wurm
https://s-wurm.bandcamp.com

Met Glas
https://metglas.bandcamp.com

Fussing
https://fussing.bandcamp.com

FINGERS OF THE EMBALMER (been around a little bit though, Andy is the GOAT)
https://fingersoftheembalmer.bandcamp.com

Will post more later.
Also depends on where you’re from. “East coast” stuff is its own thing. YMGER & Proximal Terminus (also worth checking out) dudes are doing more shows here as I think Anju (Who did previous Vancouver Noise Fests) has a bunch of commitments for metal stuff. Been interesting to see more shows and what will happen as time passes.

Also shameless promotion for the COME AND SEE/MS split out…
https://bentwindowrecords.bandcamp.com/ ... e-ms-split
Last edited by 33033 on Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

Thanks for the shoutout! K.M. Toepfer (I think?) and Moss Harvest for sure should be mentioned. Panties is awesome. B.P.’s output is super interesting and varied. I think Publication Ban is Canadian which is incredible.

I remember reading something about Canadian music in general being good because the winter forces you to learn how to work your gear. That could have something to do with it, and would also make sense with Midwest/Nordic stuff being as good as it is. Having someone like Taylor is a huge deal for exposure to good stuff and encouraging one’s own work. Lots of cool labels are around too: Absurd Exposition, Buried in Slag and Debris, Dogmatics in Outline, Makade Star and Aught/Void come to mind. I’m sure there are more I’m forgetting or am unaware of.
Brian O'Blivion
Hard Panning

Post by Brian O'Blivion »

Death Glaze has been pretty active despite not being around too long. He played a good set in Montreal last summer.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

yullowteef wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:20 pm Death Glaze has been pretty active despite not being around too long. He played a good set in Montreal last summer.
Absolutely! Great stuff.
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

murmur wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:51 pm K.M. Toepfer

I remember reading something about Canadian music in general being good because the winter forces you to learn how to work your gear.
That Toepfer CD on WCN is very very good and didn't get enough hype. Well paced and thought out album. Completely the underdog of that great batch and no less deserving than any of those releases. I also really enjoyed the undercut tape on Absurd Exposition.

Didn't realize Spring of Life was Canadian. One of the better tapes from last year. Can't wait to hear more from the project.
WCN
Maniacs Only

Post by WCN »

I totally agree about K.M. TOEPFER, he’s actually one of the most inspiring contemporary artists to me. I didn’t include him, and a good handful of others, because he’s actually been doing his thing for much longer. Was kind of thinking of the NEW new projects with this thread, but there are a bunch more to include if we go back even a few years.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Some names known and unknown to me here. I also agree that a lot of really interesting stuff seems to be coming from Canada of late.

Spring of Life - YES. Underdog remains one of the finest things I heard in recent years.

Toanche Dwelling - YES. Very unique project, absolutely love the approach embodied in this stuff.

Also second B.P’s stuff, and Makade Star. If I can be permitted to go out on a limb that embodies freakdom and ambience besides harsh times, the emissions of all things Hamilton Tapes, Korea Undok Group and Barn Sour are some of the most intriguing and otherworldly I’ve come across in a while.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

Liam/Lasso Wendy and the duo he had with his friend Luke, Dogs In The Moonlight, are two excellent newish projects, too. But I think Liam might have quit noise in favor of long walks with his bassett hound by now. Liam also ran a short lived label called Freedom Club - released his own stuff and some other local acts I haven't heard elsewhere.
Parthenon_23
Contact Mic

Post by Parthenon_23 »

Any discussion of Canadian noise, new or otherwise, should mention Damno Te. I mean like KM Toepfer he's been true to it for a long time now...but i just discovered his work this summer and this one is my favorite:

https://damnote.bandcamp.com/album/inferno-lust-machine
theworldisawarfilm
C20

Post by theworldisawarfilm »

Actually insane and shameful of me to have neglected mentioning the work being done by AUGHT/VOID.
duckworship
C20

Post by duckworship »

KM Toepfers old project Potier. was phenomenal. The tape on Fusty was one of my favorites of his, haven't really followed with what he was doing lately. Should probably change that... Most of the mentioned names here are good and there's a few I'm not too familiar with but, what about HERMIT? A friend of mine described them as "shit noise" which isn't a really fair description imo. The split / collaboration with Thirdorgan released on Self Abuse in the late 90s / early 2000s - specifically his material on it - had more of a classic 80s industrial noise feel to it to the point where parts of it were reminding me of tape loop fiends from that time frame getting a hold of useless equipment and trying to turn it into a speaking machinery of its own.
Molena
C20

Post by Molena »

there has been some good stuff out of edmonton, damno te, skrunt skrunt, poitier/km topfer
i am not really sure if there is any east coast (nova scotia, new brunswick, labrador) stuff going on?

i hear rumblings every now and again from the interior of BC but the geography is so vast its hard to keep up with live performances.

also some shameless self promotion: https://molena.bandcamp.com/
Molena
C20

Post by Molena »

should also recommend turned into a girl and trauma bonding (formally HR)
puritanwaste
Hard Panning

Post by puritanwaste »

Parthenon_23 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:45 am Any discussion of Canadian noise, new or otherwise, should mention Damno Te. I mean like KM Toepfer he's been true to it for a long time now...but i just discovered his work this summer and this one is my favorite:

While I do agree that Damno Te is very good and under-appreciated, they've been around for like 20 years, so not exactly part of a "new wave," haha.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

puritanwaste wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:11 pm
Parthenon_23 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:45 am Any discussion of Canadian noise, new or otherwise, should mention Damno Te. I mean like KM Toepfer he's been true to it for a long time now...but i just discovered his work this summer and this one is my favorite:

While I do agree that Damno Te is very good and under-appreciated, they've been around for like 20 years, so not exactly part of a "new wave," haha.
Yeah, I don't there is a single mid/late 2000s CD-R or net label compilation without a Damno Te track on it! Totally ubiquitous artist back then...to the point, I'll confess, that I never really bothered to listen to much nor could I tell you anything about how it sounds. However, 20 years or so chipping away would suggest the likelihood of honed craft and so I will make a point to see what's going on now. And maybe with old material too!
duckworship
C20

Post by duckworship »

adult human wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:22 pm
puritanwaste wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:11 pm

Yeah, I don't there is a single mid/late 2000s CD-R or net label compilation without a Damno Te track on it! Totally ubiquitous artist back then...to the point, I'll confess, that I never really bothered to listen to much nor could I tell you anything about how it sounds. However, 20 years or so chipping away would suggest the likelihood of honed craft and so I will make a point to see what's going on now. And maybe with old material too!
Got a couple of CDRs of old Damno Te off of Self Abuse two years ago - namely the 27 KM Below triptych which I was into. Very long, hypnotic and evolving pedal noise. Of course he's not really a "new artist" but yeah, I remember those being pretty decent and I'd probably recommend those to anyone curious. Haven't had a chance to listen to the tape he did on Fusty Cunt though!
Brian O'Blivion
Hard Panning

Post by Brian O'Blivion »

Forgot to mention Reaching Needles as well, who has been releasing modular wall.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

WCN wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:45 pm CATHOLIC STARE
This is another that the label blurb done right by. Broken glass funneling through smudged ambient inflections what had me pulling out Aprapat Chamber Music for reference (highest praise in my book).
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Sam said it best in his recent WCN interview in that we are approaching a critical mass with Canadian harsh noise as whole, but specifically in the Ontario and Quebec regions. Many people are on the same wavelength and are sharing the same levels of enthusiasm, interest, and engagement.

Toanche Dwelling, Spring of Life are the more infamous joys of Toronto at present, but there are also stalwarts like Death Glaze (Hamilton) and Reaching Needles (Ottawa) who are both very hard working. Scott (Reaching Needles) is tirelessly booking shows in Ottawa, the nation's capitol, and a place where noise shows have been few and far between for at least a decade. There are also other projects that are operating more under the radar like Menial Rips and all of Nathan Ivanco's projects/labels from Hamilton, the London scene (Shameful, Shelf), and truly solo individuals like Guilt (Guelph).

Montreal has proven to be quite fruitful in recent years, with audience attendance and enthusiasm at gigs being consistently gratifying. Axiom, Catholic Stare, Jute, Primitive Isolation Tactics, that's us. There is an older guard around (Taskmaster, Un Regard Froid, plus Knurl just an hour north of the city), and other locals that might not operate exclusively in the strict "harsh noise" realm like Come and See and MS.

The country is bookended by the likes of Mot and Murmur, operating on islands from opposing coasts. Halifax (Murmur's home base) is also where the ever-progressing Untitled zine hails from and shows seem to be happening there with some frequency (though not specifically harsh/noise). Newer and more obscure projects have also cropped up in both regions, and the west coast is of course the historic stronghold of Canadian harsh noise with the likes of Griefer, The Rita, Mass Marriage, The Nausea all still remaining active alongside perhaps lesser known but equally long-running Molena and Whip of the UFO, and a newer crop that I am only vaguely knowledgeable of, which once seemed to revolve a bit around Writhing Flesh Productions. Rusalka and MK9 are swapping coasts and will soon be boosting Nova Scotia's prestige.

I haven't even mentioned the prairie provinces, but all that to say: Canadian noise is alive and well. It may very well be thriving, in fact. Tour circuits are being drawn up and hopefully tested soon. A comp is coming. A fest is coming. We're coming and we're here!
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
totalblack
Hard Panning

Post by totalblack »

I'm totally thrilled by the N.W.O.C.H.N., after being involved in Canadian noise for the last 20 years, my observation is that it seems particularly strong at the moment because things have been pretty quiet for the last 10 years. New faces are popping up, people who have been around for ages are getting more involved, and those who have been going strong throughout the years continue to soldier on and fight the good fight. All good news !

I had typed up a larger post, which I deleted because I was waxing nostalgia, and don't want to take away from the conversation about what's happening currently. I did put on the Wintage "Sounds Of Toronto" 3x3" cdr recently and definitely miss just how many active artists there were around that time. Unfortunately a lot of that stuff wasn't very well documented. I'm hoping that things continue to trend upwards and grow, and particularly thrilled by the growth of a scene in Halifax.

Some of the mentioned artists are people who have been around doing stuff for a while under new names, but since Barn Sour was mentioned a few times- it's well worth it to check out his harsh noise project Fresh Water Girls from a few years before, also great stuff!
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

totalblack wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:01 pm Fresh Water Girls
Awesome project
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

I.O. (free jazz - https://ioiomusic.bandcamp.com) from Victoria, BC has been putting on noise shows in Victoria the last little while, doing sets with noise artists as well (Fussing & Void Puppet). I assume Lot 9 is still around too but unsure the frequency with which Ron is doing shows. Glad to see Victoria is having a resurgence, very fond memories of the mid 2000's having a ton of wild stuff just rolling through.
consumer
C20

Post by consumer »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:29 am Scott (Reaching Needles) is tirelessly booking shows in Ottawa, the nation's capitol, and a place where noise shows have been few and far between for at least a decade.
Seconding this recognition of Scott!
duckworship
C20

Post by duckworship »

Maybe not entirely new but somewhat recent the past few years - I didn't see any mention of Aaiesieux on this thread. A tape on Black Ring Rituals caught my attention which seemed to be high energetic dynamic cut-up sharp "digital" (?) HN based in St. Johns, Newfoundland. Really great, but only limited to 25 physical copies. I think the last time he was on something was a compilation on Scream and Writhe dedicated to Canada-noise in 2021?

https://blackringrituals.com/album/a-c-u-volume-14