Releases of note (so far) for 2023

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Releases of note (so far) for 2023

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Thought starting it now would make it easier to keep track of them for year-end lists. Btw should December 2022 releases be added? Stuff from late December the year before people make lists usually get overlooked. I don't know how many people included White Gold - 3 or Wasteland Jazz Ensemble - ST on their lists (aside from Untitled Zine for the latter), you know?

Hanzo Hasashi & Developer - One (Bizarro Warrior)
Incapacitants - Oxen Man's Uneasiness (Oxen)
Linekraft - Chaos State (Total Black)

reissues:

Macronympha - Amplified Humans (Freak Animal)
Macronympha - Baroque (Freak Animal)
Macronympha - Membranes and Black Holes (Freak Animal)
Masonna - Ejaculation Generator (Total Black)
Last edited by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x on Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D345
Maniacs Only

Re: Releases of note (so far) for 2023

Post by D345 »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:37 am Merzbow - Ejaculation Generator (Total Black)
obscure Freudian slip here?
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

More like lack of sleep. :P
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Heard Beton Tåge - Formless today which I noticed was released this year. Pretty interesting recording.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Patriots As Slaves - HNW Amendment 1 (Stemms Audio)
https://stemmstapes.bandcamp.com/album/hnw-amendment-1
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

adult human wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:57 pm Heard Beton Tåge - Formless today which I noticed was released this year. Pretty interesting recording.
This one popped up out of nowhere, at least for me, only to surprise me that the project had been going for a good some years at least. And that everything I've encountered has been stellar. Verging on CYESS AFXZS level cinematic territory. Worthy of the enthusiastic release blurb from the label.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:47 am
adult human wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:57 pm Heard Beton Tåge - Formless today which I noticed was released this year. Pretty interesting recording.
This one popped up out of nowhere, at least for me, only to surprise me that the project had been going for a good some years at least. And that everything I've encountered has been stellar. Verging on CYESS AFXZS level cinematic territory. Worthy of the enthusiastic release blurb from the label.
I liked it a lot, however there was an aspect in there somewhere that stopped me going whole hog crazy in love with it. Perhaps precisely BECAUSE of that cinematic quality which tends not to be something I look for that often in my noise. It's clearly a project which tries out a lot of very interesting, different things which on the one hand I love, adore in fact, yet on another makes me really notice the parts that don't work as well. Who knows. The point is it was OF NOTE. I'll definitely be spinning it again soon.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

reissue:

Knurl - Invection (self-released by Alan this time; was originally put out by Skeleton Dust)

I have this and it's good. Great scrap-metal noise.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

adult human wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:35 am
I liked it a lot, however there was an aspect in there somewhere that stopped me going whole hog crazy in love with it. Perhaps precisely BECAUSE of that cinematic quality which tends not to be something I look for that often in my noise. It's clearly a project which tries out a lot of very interesting, different things which on the one hand I love, adore in fact, yet on another makes me really notice the parts that don't work as well.
I think I get you. And no doubt some nice fertile terrain to get digging into right there. To explore cum exploit a tension between (more or less) conspicuous intent and constantly seeking to undermine that intent. Perhaps here to describe a quality that serves any kind of (the preferred sort of) sound work, aka the more willfully exploratory, but I like to imagine noisepervs as better poised to work the fields so speak.

Was just, as in minutes ago, listening to BT's Bruised Contour (2018) thinking the project is more than willfully vested in the principle of fucking with their own program, ridiculous bings and bongs absolutely ruining (or punctuating) the harsh moment, in the best possible way(s).
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:32 am
adult human wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:35 am

I liked it a lot, however there was an aspect in there somewhere that stopped me going whole hog crazy in love with it. Perhaps precisely BECAUSE of that cinematic quality which tends not to be something I look for that often in my noise. It's clearly a project which tries out a lot of very interesting, different things which on the one hand I love, adore in fact, yet on another makes me really notice the parts that don't work as well.
I think I get you. And no doubt some nice fertile terrain to get digging into right there. To explore cum exploit a tension between (more or less) conspicuous intent and constantly seeking to undermine that intent. Perhaps here to describe a quality that serves any kind of (the preferred sort of) sound work, aka the more willfully exploratory, but I like to imagine noisepervs as better poised to work the fields so speak.

Was just, as in minutes ago, listening to BT's Bruised Contour (2018) thinking the project is more than willfully vested in the principle of fucking with their own program, ridiculous bings and bongs absolutely ruining (or punctuating) the harsh moment, in the best possible way(s).
I was going to unpack this a bit in the first post but ran out of steam. So here's a second run at the "cinematic" descriptor, duly acknowledging my tendency to play fast and loose with descriptors, but which for me would easily accomodate projects like Hum Of The Druid, Jeph Jerman, Remnants. And a fair chunk of the Satatuhatta roster while I'm at it.

In this paragraph I'm going to call it a self-evident spatial awareness or as previously framed a (sense of) coherent intent as to how the elements are parsed- in space, and no less importantly in time. If this sounds like music, it is, and so a potential (if I'd say interestingly) "dead" end around which noise might be forever coiling itself, as though ever poised to puncture perceived threats to vacate the core (a la spastic, unhinged, de-ranged, WTF, William Bennet Is My Dick, &c), accepting that a host of other, more rarified (or militant), cores will very likely have been proposed along the way.
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Post by k.p.g »

The new Deathprod is really great. Shocked I never see him mentioned that much in any noise circles. He is an absolute legend to me.
Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Really excited about the Solmania "Highdrophobia" LP on Urashima.

Also the Merzbow "Noise Matrix" DLP on Hospital. I have the CD version but will probably pick it up because this is the top notch Merzbow era I'm most partial to.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Any additions to this?
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

SPRING OF LIFE - Interface CS
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
shrouded.in.antiquity
Hard Panning

Post by shrouded.in.antiquity »

The Primitive Wings - Morphosis CD on Satatuhatta is one of my favorite noise releases I've heard recently. I'm not sure if it's the choices in sound/approach, the pacing, or the overall vibe but this disc really hits all the right spots. In reality it's probably some specific combination of all of those components. Highly recommended.
gdu
Contact Mic

Post by gdu »

Star - Elephant in the snow (aoty so far)
Slacking - Roundhouse a bootlicker (7" of the 2020's so far)
Ineffable Slime - A Roll of the dice
Stewart Skinner - For the happiness of the world
Max Julian Eastman - Zabriskie / Manor 3" CD
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

The Genocide Organ/Prurient collaboration is very good.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Wino Lodge - Pocket Mutations
Creep of Paris - Ever More Precise Accounts of the Cave
Spring of Life - Interface
no artist - Midday
Star - Elephant In The Snow
Matthieu Fuentes - Ily, Almeria
Natalia Beylis - Library of Sticks
Chik White and Bill Nace - Off Motion
Deli Kuvveti - B​ü​k​ü​l​ü​r B​ü​k​ü​lmez
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Here's my short list of new releases - reissues would be trice as long (haha)

The new Helicopter batch has been ordered but I haven't had them shipped yet, plus the new Heat Signature and a few others....

Himukalt - A Third Fantasy LP
Incapacitants/Savage Gospel CD
Incapacitants - Oxen Mans Uneasiness CD
The Rita - Kathryn CD
Haare - Nucleus
Umpio - Sin Memoria CD
Green Tea - Snowblower CD
Dodge Jones Rage - West Coast Power Outage V CD
Kate Rissiek - Wave Expanse LP
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

Already a very good year:

Jackson-Pratt & Shredded Nerve
Kiran Arora - Wilderness Years
Seepage - Tertium Quid
Incapacitants - Oxen Man's Uneasiness
Capturing The Wind, A Japanese Noise Compilation
Bizarre Uproar / Black Leather Jesus
Worth - Hamper
Joe Colley - Acting As If
Joe Colley - Pleasure Pressure
Cyess Afxzs - Richter
One Dark Eye - One Dark Eye
Cov Ops - New Agenda
Interracial Sex - The Restraint Of Animals
Elisha Morningstar - Marte
Dressing - Morning Terror, Evening Well

Need to do some write-ups, but these are all extremely worthwhile. I REALLY enjoy the Jackson-Pratt & Shredded Nerve split and all Colley is aces.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

I'm perpetually playing catch-up. Still so much I haven't had time to properly absorb or listen to at all from 2022 and earlier.

2023 doesn't look any better with possibly even more new stuff in that I have only barely heard well enough to properly absorb, or not heard at all yet, or else simply didn't move the needle enough to call it "AOTY material".

Really unsexy answers, but Incapacitants Oxen Man's Uneasiness (not quite what I was anticipating, but pleasantly surprised) and the split with Savage Gospel are the two newer releases that stand out as highlights so far.
gdu
Contact Mic

Post by gdu »

adult human wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:16 pm Wino Lodge - Pocket Mutations
no artist - Midday
Wheres that creep of paris released?,
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

gdu wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:59 pm
adult human wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:16 pm Wino Lodge - Pocket Mutations
no artist - Midday

Wheres that creep of paris released?,
Drowned by locals
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

Worth - Hamper CD
Ants In The Afterbirth CS
Incipientium - Limbo CS
Violent Shogun - Breath And Steam CD
Presage - Venerated CS
Eyes Of The Amaryllis - Lunchtime On Earth 7"

But there's so so much I haven't found the time to digest in full yet, like the Christian Mirande LP. And plenty of stuff already mentioned previously here, like Colley, Incapacitants etc. Piles and piles of neglect. Sigh...
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Forgot all about Moozzhead's Thighmaster (I've had it in the top of my computer stack since ripping it almost a month ago). I overlooked adding it on Discogs and I can't remember release dates for shit without sorting my collection by date and referencing that.

Definitely a standout in terms of "elevated standard approach" (scare quotes for talking-out-of-ass emphasis). So satisfying!