JUNK METAL ABUSE

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Re: JUNK METAL ABUSE

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Almost made a thread about Knurl, but thought there might be a junk metal abuse thread already. Glad there is!!! Anyhow, what's everyone's favorite Knurl release? It's very difficult for me to keep up on his many (and frequent) releases (in addition to every other project I do that with), but here are three of mine...

Invection (2007, Skeleton Dust)

My first exposure to the project. Has a special place in my heart for that. This was around the time I saw Luke slamming a contact-mic'd stop sign on a concrete floor at a Being set that year. It absolutely blew me away and I knew I needed more of it in my life.

Torus (1999, Alien8 Recordings)

Got this around a month ago, but it was directly from Alan's bandcamp. It was cheaper and I *think* it sounded better than the one on Alien8's bandcamp, but I can't remember offhand. It's probably my favorite work of his at the moment and sounds very different from the other releases of his that I have.

Initial Shock CD+DVD (2020, Absurd Exposition)

Where it all began. It doesn't sound amateur, however. Am hesitant to use the term "promising", because it stands up on its own merits. Bought it from Torn Light Records/Fantastique HQ.
[MBD] wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:08 am I don't know if there's any video of this but Orgasmic Response Unit once did an acoustic set at The Mockbee in Cincinnati with nothing but heaps of junk and sledgehammers. One of the best sets I've seen.
Can't remember if I saw that or not, but I think I did... do you remember seeing me there??
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:31 am Almost made a thread about Knurl, but thought there might be a junk metal abuse
Good'un! Resisted a few earlier temptations to hijack this thread with a suggested focus on the more blatantly junk-oriented Knurls. Cuz where a shit ton 'o Knurl puts le junk to the service of le harsh, a relatively smaller proportion is more plainly of a junk persuasion. But hey, just rolling with it now, thanks for the cover!

I think I may already have linked this at best marginally readable blurb, but as concerns the thread of the moment specifics might be better isolated in the fourth through sixth paragraphs, beginning with "Perhaps..."

Two in particular would stand out as far as pushing a more acoustically inclined set of whanging-upon-whanging that is of sufficiently harsh remove from more Pholde-centric ambient strains:

Inelastic Scattering (Self Abuse, 1996)
Kurtosis (Harshnoise, 2002)

Though there could be many more cause while I suppose I've got a good few thingies here and there, there's still shitloads I've yet to hear. 'holes could be kept busy enough with the reissues alone, or the previously unreleased issues, or the neverending slew of spanking new stellar reliably roughening down the pipe.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:31 am Torus (1999, Alien8 Recordings)

Got this around a month ago, but it was directly from Alan's bandcamp. It was cheaper and I *think* it sounded better than the one on Alien8's bandcamp
Sweet mother of...you got that right! Saw no reason to snag this till I decided to test your hypothesis and noticed that it was just remastered, this April. Like, there's no comparison, night and day. A whole new Knurl'd.

Also snagged another of 'em more acoustic-like bangers via the Knurl bandcamp- the digital-only Inciting Cause. Straight-up bliss in the first Formation and then it gets all rough, raw n fugged shrilly. Not sure if it's the cement trowel, the chain, the 1 1/4” stainless steel pipe or the piece of glass 12”X12”, but the shit's plain, yeah.
Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:20 am Two in particular would stand out as far as pushing a more acoustically inclined set of whanging-upon-whanging that is of sufficiently harsh remove from more Pholde-centric ambient strains:

Inelastic Scattering (Self Abuse, 1996)
Kurtosis (Harshnoise, 2002)
Listening again and thinking would these have been recorded live? I mean, it's all recorded live but I mean in a live venue in front of people sorta deal. But, like, high quality recordings. Also listening again and thinking it's kinda too bad Knurl & Z'ev never hooked up. Z'ev was certainly an active collabo-rooter in his later years so it could very well have happened.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

One of my greatest regrets in life is having never gotten to see Z'ev live. :(
Der.Bluteimer
Contact Mic

Post by Der.Bluteimer »

Saw a show from him around the 80's in Bremen/Germany at a sunday morning 11 o'clock ! ! Junk Metal Abuse = Z'ev !
Sadly that he passed away so early...
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Der.Bluteimer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:21 pm Saw a show from him around the 80's in Bremen/Germany at a sunday morning 11 o'clock ! ! Junk Metal Abuse = Z'ev !
Sadly that he passed away so early...
Oh man, that's awesome... makes me think of those "Noise Breakfasts" they used to have in Cleveland at Now That's Class (I never went, sadly)...
Natalia
C20

Looking for junk metal abuse

Post by Natalia »

Hello friends.

A friend of mine and I are currently putting together the Scrap Metal Archive, a project intended to document artists and musicians who utilize scrap metals, power tools, machinery, and other industrial components in their music. This is firmly rooted in industrial music, though we look at other genres as well. We are both fetishists of the sounds of metal-on-metal, and find it difficult to find artists with the sound we are obsessed with. Included artists in the archive range from metal percussion (like Test Dept. or Z'EV), dark ambient, to harsh noise made from junk metal abuse, and more.

I'm more familiar with metal percussion, so I was looking for more artists in the harsh noise end of things, preferably artists who feature it as a big part of their sound. Artists that come to mind for me in this style are Hal Hutchinson or Scrap Metal Music as an example. We've already got a bunch down in a list, but I'd like for this section of the archive to be pretty expansive.

Anything you suggest here greatly helps our efforts in consolidating this style of music and noise, as well as making it easier for metal fetishists to find more artists, new and old. To make this easier I'd appreciate if people suggested an album along with the artist that best represents their scrap metal sound.

Thank you!
Molena
C20

Re: Looking for junk metal abuse

Post by Molena »

the haters and the new blockaders are the first to spring to mind but to be honest so many noise peeps utilize bits of metal.
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

Mania (eg Miserable Disposition), Corral Shut (Ramshackle), Aprapat (Nude Scraps), Lee Counts (S.A.N.S. Sessions), Knurl, Scald Hymn (Balming Mechanism), some Sewer Election (eg Antarktis), Body Collector (Acidic Dread) are some examples
Last edited by murmur on Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

the new boyfriends
ahola & silander
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

Asking for (harsh) noise artists using scrap metal isn't too far from asking for a list of artists using DOD pedals. This list could be endless if you're generous. A list of noise artists who not once used scrap metal would be rather short though.
I'm not deriding the OPs request - it's not a bad idea! - but some narrowing down of what is to be included in this archive/list would help!
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

Capers wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:33 am Asking for (harsh) noise artists using scrap metal isn't too far from asking for a list of artists using DOD pedals. This list could be endless if you're generous. A list of noise artists who not once used scrap metal would be rather short though.
I'm not deriding the OPs request - it's not a bad idea! - but some narrowing down of what is to be included in this archive/list would help!
I appreciate the feedback here, I guess there's a preference for overt metal noises like Hal Hutchinson or The New Blockaders, though I understand the line can get very thin. There are some artists who use metal sounds as a source but it's blown-out to the point where the metal sound is unrecognizable. We're open to including artists like that as well, but we're after that metallic sound especially.

EDIT: I'd also like to thank everyone for the incredible recommendations so far!
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Knurl
Diaphragmatic
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

Nobuo Yamada/ARTBREAKHOTEL (eg Incomplete Garden) is a different but really cool example. He builds junk metal dynamic sculptures and records them.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Weiches Loche
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

Namahs wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:14 pmWeiches Loche
Weiches Loch are one of the best in the game right now, though they're squarely in the metal percussion side of things. Cool to see them mentioned, though!
insolent
Sound Art

Post by insolent »

Yol. Pretty much every solo release (and some collaborations) utilise scrap/junk metal in some form, from a fork scraping a piece of tin to a bastard file down the side of a galvanized mop bucket. Not to forget the Poundshop Gamelan
Poundshop Gamelan
Poundshop Gamelan
Yol.jpg (31.31 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
https://yolnoise.bandcamp.com/
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

Natalia wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:14 pm
Namahs wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:14 pmWeiches Loche
Weiches Loch are one of the best in the game right now, though they're squarely in the metal percussion side of things. Cool to see them mentioned, though!
Well, current Japanese ones; Kaoganai, Linekraft, and both Sano Atsushi and nulkvarcent from Weiches Loch pretty much use junk metal while performing solo, me too of course. We were once joking about the fact that all in all in Japan there might be max 20 people who use junk metal percussion as a main instrument, and 3 of us live within 300 meters of each other in the same neighborhood.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

You might wanna take this question over to the happy place forums of Special-Interests zine:

https://special-interests.net/forum/ind ... udh3s0&#c4

Ask in the General Discussions section.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

SS1535 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:02 pm Look, and you shall find! --- http://screamandwrithe.com/forum/viewto ... buse#p3111
Thank you!