ARTSY RECORDS LABEL (PHANTOM CHIPS!!!)

Artsy_Records
C20

ARTSY RECORDS LABEL (PHANTOM CHIPS!!!)

Post by Artsy_Records »

Hi, ARTSY RECORDS going strong, coming in the near or far future: Kraus CS, Id M Theft Able CD, Reynols 2 x 7".....

Here's what's available now. Prices have been dropped 25 % for the September 2022 edition of Bandcamp Friday to celebrate 25000 listens that was reached a couple of days ago.

https://artsyrecords.bandcamp.com/merch
Last edited by Artsy_Records on Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Artsy_Records
C20

Re: Artsy Records (FIN)

Post by Artsy_Records »

Hello, Frans De Waard of Vital Weekly dove into the Artsy catalogue, here are some of his thoughts:

To start a record label in times when everything is economically great is a risky business; to start one when the shit hit the Covid fan is a bold move. The person behind Artsy from Helsinki plays in bands like Avarus and The Anaksimandros, but when gigs dried up, he started Artsy Records. So far, there are more than twenty releases, and I only know a hand full of these artists.

BROMP TREB - BALD EAGLE OVER FOOD CITY

Let's start with the vinyl, and on the first, we find music by Bromp Treb. This musical project has been around for some twenty years and was masterminded by Neil 'Cloaca" Young. You may know him as Fat Worm Of Error and a filmmaker. I had not heard the music of Bromp Treb before. He recorded the music between 2019 and 2021 "using several tape machines", which is the only bit of information, next to the location of the machines. The music is quite an interesting mixture of improvised sounds, mainly on wind instruments and electronics. These are manipulated with the use of old gear, and that makes the whole record a bit, well, old too. At first, I thought this was a band playing a sort of Mnemonists or Motor Totemist Guild kind of music; Avant-rock music but with the studio being an equally important instrument. However, as the record progressed and I read the background of the music, I could also see this one man using multi-track possibilities and lots and lots of sound devices. A one-person orchestra at times with many layers of sound. Then I thought of Nurse With Wound, once the same sort of one-man orchestra, but on this record, Bromp Treb stays more on the Avant-rock side of music, in which a more considerable portion is reserved for improvisation. Bromp Treb organises his music using studio technology and moves away from the stricter improvised music scene. Great record!

AIRAKSINEN PEKKOLA TANNER - UUDET JES OPOT

The other LP is a trio recorded around Pekka Airaksinen. He was a "pioneering composer of electronic and experimental music" from Finland and lived from 1945 to 2019. He never performed many concerts during his life, but in 2015 he formed a trio with saxophonist Sami Pekkola and electronic musician Samuli Tanner. In February 2017, they played their first concerts, and recordings from the third concert found their way onto this LP. Airaksinen plays keyboards, and Pekkola also bongos and small objects. The record starts with a very much free jazz saxophone, which made me think 'not for me', but it turns out that this is much more than 'just' free jazz. Sure, elements of that play a significant role, but not always, with the saxophone playing an authoritative role. When electronics play a significant role, the music brings out a dreamier element without ever reaching for the ambient side of music. An element of abstraction is never far away. Such as at the opening of the second side, with sounds tough to define, a toy piano and rattling of percussive objects. Here, the music is almost akin to electro-acoustic music, including a record of baroque music being destroyed; that's what it sounds like, it is not that. A roller coaster ride, this music, and recorded in such a way that it is all very direct and in your face, which works very well. At less than thirty minutes, a bit short, perhaps, but a pretty powerful statement.

L'ARBRE NU & BARDO TODOL - UN SUPER GROUPE NOMMÉ SAPITO

A super group named Sapito, is the title of the cassette between Bardo Todol (Pablo and Nico Picco Salsipuedes, Argentina) and l’Arbre nu (Guy-Pierre, Timothé and Maya Milin, Bretagne, France). I had heard of the Argentinean side of this but not the French. All players went outside into the woods to play music, which they later put together and mixed. I couldn't say who contributes what here, which is for the strength of the piece here. It sounds like these people are in one room, playing together. Of course, there is an element of free-folk here, which comes with the natural habitat of recording in a forest, I'd say. Bell sounds, mumbling, some strumming on a detuned guitar and no rhythmic banging on percussive instruments. There are also elements of tape manipulation, maybe played on the spot or added later on. These add a fine additional layer to the music, overstepping the whole 'we're making some free music in a forest thing'. You could think of this as planning with the benefit of hindsight and creating order out of apparent chaos. I found this expanded sound most enjoyable, especially when it all became electro-acoustic, field recording-like, and along with the free-folk, it became the soundtrack of a weird folk-horror tale. Close your eyes and be scared.

MARCIA BASSETT - UNDULATING AKRASBONING

Marcia Bassett was the only name I recognised. Over the years, we reviewed some of her work, solo, as Zaïmph, and she is a member of Double Leopards, GHQ, and Hototogisu and has duets with people. I always thought her primary instrument was the guitar, but that is not the case here; perhaps, it is, but also the Buchla Music Easel, a modular synthesiser. But just as well, it might be that this is the only instrument on the four pieces, which last thirty-two minutes. The modular synthesiser is a very popular instrument/construction these days. Not really a specific instrument, but whatever modules one has. Many of the works I come across with this instrument have a rather improvised nature, and the four pieces by Bassett are not different. Sounds bubble and burst, oscillate and rotate, drift and space and are graced with a bit of reverb to suggest atmosphere; most dominant in the piece 'In Process'. I enjoyed it best when Bassett used more extended tones and less of the more chaotic shorter pieces. But throughout, I was thinking, is this it? It is not bad, not great either, four fine exercises of what modular electronics are capable of, but is there more to this? Somehow I had the feeling there could be more to it indeed. I see this as a work in progress.
Artsy_Records
C20

Post by Artsy_Records »

Whoop! For the October edition of Bandcamp Friday, we got the full digital discography of Artsy for a 70 per cent discount, meaning 27 releases for 28,20. Go get'em?
NihilBaxter
C20

Post by NihilBaxter »

Artsy_Records wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:16 am Kraus CS
Speaking of these fellas? https://www.discogs.com/release/7646582-Kraus-Kraus
Artsy_Records
C20

Post by Artsy_Records »

Not those guys...this Kraus is from NZ and the tape is out now!

https://artsyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/chronic-illness
Artsy_Records
C20

Post by Artsy_Records »

Hi all! The November edition of Bandcamp Friday Madness is aimed at overseas vinyl lovers. During this BCF there is a discount of 10 euros for shipping regarding both the Artsy 12" albums, Uudet Jes Opot and Bald Eagle Over Food City. In Finland the discount is 5 euros.

https://artsyrecords.bandcamp.com
Artsy_Records
C20

Re: Artsy Records (FIN): Reynols 2 x 7" !!!

Post by Artsy_Records »

PRE-ORDER OUT NOW !!!

REYNOLS: Corulu Flatdas Gasigo 2 x 7"
release date 23rd December

The first disc has the vocal parts of the two tracks and the second one includes the instruments. These are intended to be listened to simultaneously. When purchasing the double 7", one also receives a download code including the combined mixes as bonus tracks. You get 1 track now plus the complete album the moment it’s released.

"Corulu Flatdas Gasigo" was originally planned for release in 2003 but the project got stuck in limbo. 20 years later, an envelope was found in Finland, containing the only existing master on a cd-r plus all the cut & paste style graphics on xerox paper. Luckily the cd-r still functioned and the project will now finally be completed by Artsy Records.

ART-33

https://artsyrecords.bandcamp.com/album ... das-gasigo

contact for wholesale questions: artsyrecords@gmail.com
Artsy_Records
C20

Re: Artsy Records (FIN): REYNOLS 2 x 7 !!!

Post by Artsy_Records »

Also: as we at the Artsy HQ are suckers for even numbers. we are now celebrating reaching 30K plays with a pre-Xmas flash sale of 30 % off the available merch back catalogue. Perfect time to grab the missing pieces! Valid until Sunday evening Finnish time. Thank you all for your interest and support !!!!
Artsy_Records
C20

Re: Artsy Records (FIN): REYNOLS 2 x 7 !!!

Post by Artsy_Records »

Hey !!! As the label is in a pretty good spot now, I decided to try to help out. Starting now, until Sunday 5th of March, Artsy will donate 100% of digital sales and 50% of physical items to a charity in Ukraine. Let's see if we can get something together!
Artsy_Records
C20

Re: Artsy Records (FIN): NATALIA BEYLIS tape!

Post by Artsy_Records »

Hi! Artsy brings you a new tape by Natalia Beylis: "Library of Sticks", with gorgeous cover art by Karen Constance. The tapes are just missing one element and are shipping next week. Up for preorder now! A subtle mixture of field recordings and tape manipulations.
Artsy_Records
C20

Re: Artsy Records (FIN): NATALIA BEYLIS tape!

Post by Artsy_Records »

Nice review of the Reynols 2 x 7" in the latest Wire, by Byron Coley:

REYNOLS: Corulu Flatdas Gasigo 2 x 7" (Artsy 2022)

Originally planned for release 20 years ago, this session by Argentina's most beloved outfit is a solid if deconstructed chunk of avant rock squall. Pulse driven, with a scratchy metallic edge to its chaotic propulsion, the first record has instrumental versions of the two tracks. The second features Miguel Tomasin's vocals only versions, which sound as wily as ever. There's a download code available if you want to hear the complete (that is, instrumental + vocal) mixed tunes, but I am plenty happy with just the component parts. Your call.

Artsy_Records
C20

Re: Artsy Records (FIN): ANDREA PENSADO cd!

Post by Artsy_Records »

Hi! As the last Artsy release sold out in record time, it's time to say hello to the next addition to the Artsy family! "Circus Parade" by Andrea Pensado is out today as digital, the physical compact discs are up for preprder for a special Bandcamp Friday price.

https://artsyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/circus-parade

The cd's arrived and are shipping now!!!!
Artsy_Records
C20

Post by Artsy_Records »

A nice review of "Circus Parade" by Frans de Waard in Vital Weekly:

especially digging this bit:

"Think of Henri Chopin in the hands of Merzbow in the early to mid-90s, and yet, Pensado has a sound that makes it all very personal, somewhere between an attack on the listener's sense and catharsis, to let her inner beast out."

ANDREA PENSADO - CIRCUS PARADE (CD by Artsy Records)

The name of Andrea Pensado came up only a few weeks ago, in Vital Weekly 1385, when she contributed vocals to an LP by Elka Bong, or rather, Elka Bong and Pensado as a guest on one side and Steve Davis on the other side. We have to go back a lot of Viatl Weekly issues to find another solo release from her. In Vital Weekly 783, I reviewed her 'Ktotam' CD for Zeromoon. To recap something, Pensado studied music in Argentina and Poland and currently lives in the USA. Since
then, she had several solo releases in which voice and electronics are the main ingredients. In my previous review, I mentioned that she used max/MSP, but I am unsure of her recent work. Maybe digital processing plays some part in this music, but I can also see a role for analogue apparatus. I don't remember that old release, but somehow I think this new release is noisier than her previous work. Her music can be classified as noise music, certainly the longest, 'Learning To Love Insanity'. But in all three tracks, totalling forty-one minutes, she plays around with vocal sounds that may have (or not) a meaning, and she feeds those to a bunch of electronics, responsible for the suitable destruction of language as we know it. Throughout, Pensado's music is quite chaotic but also dense. Everything happens everywhere, and she doesn't allow for any moment of rest in her music. This is undoubtedly not easy listening, and her outburst of noise is a blast. Think of Henri Chopin in the hands of Merzbow in the early to mid-90s, and yet, Pensado has a sound that makes it all very personal, somewhere between an attack on the listener's sense and catharsis, to let her inner beast out. Not music for every day, and this might be my noise fill of this week.
Artsy_Records
C20

Post by Artsy_Records »

Hi!

The latest Artsy item is a replica reissue of the elusive debut tape of the mysterious improv/performance unit Munuaissymposium 1960. The three-piece included the young Reijo Pami, Raivohullu Professori (later known as Amon Düde) and Crazy Diamond. kind of a lafms/caroliner/cromagnon-take on musique concrete, if one shouid try to describe it. Here are a couple of reviews from the MS1960 side of the split 7" with Maniacs Dream:

"MS 1960’s side consists of five short pieces that sound like a lullaby gone evil. The voice pulled out of shape – dry, tortured screams, strangled moans, unsettling mewing, labored exhaling, – combines with strangled instruments – an accordion and a violin – to make a debauched study in wind and string textures, like music made by primates." (Matthew Wuetrich, The Wire)

"MS-60's pieces are strange, rocklike assemblages of noise, sound and near-form. Using instruments most often found in the foggy woods (plus either chord organ or accordion), they hup and wheeze like dogs fighting to see which of them gets to lick the blood off of Jesus's feet." (Byron Coley, The Wire)

this is true millennium era finnish freak folk right here!

https://artsyrecords.bandcamp.com/album ... u-aamunkoi
Artsy_Records
C20

Re: Artsy Records (FIN): MUNUAISSYMPOSIUM 1960!

Post by Artsy_Records »

Bandcamp Friday September 2023: discounts on all merch items, including the pre-order of the 2nd edition of Natalia Beylis: Library of Sticks!
Artsy_Records
C20

Re: ARTSY RECORDS LABEL (FIN)

Post by Artsy_Records »

Bandcamp Friday November 2023:

All digital sales + profits from merch items will be donated to Doctors Without Borders
Artsy_Records
C20

Post by Artsy_Records »

OUT NOW

Paanin Kuoro: Odysseus 2CS
- "free jazz" from this notorious Finnish unit in a gorgeous double cassette package. 15 euros

https://artsyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/odysseus

Coming in Jan 2024:

Al Margolis - Ordet CD
Artsy_Records
C20

Post by Artsy_Records »

Hello! A couple of new Artsy tapes are nearing completion: Memory Dreams and Oishi. Also soon to come: Phantom Chips CS. To celebrate these and the February Bandcamp Friday, we got a discount code for this weekend:

artsy2024

gets you a whopping’ discount of 30 per cent. Do note that this is valid also for the full digital discography!
Artsy_Records
C20

Re: ARTSY RECORDS LABEL (PHANTOM CHIPS!!!)

Post by Artsy_Records »

Phantom Chips digi out now! tapes by the end of February.

Phantom Chips is an instrument maker who performs with wearable synthesizers that control sound through squeezing and stretching. Her homemade ‘lectronix squeals create bent charm, running harsh mangled tones through tactile electronics. Concocting rhythms from an array of homemade electronic instruments, samplers and wearable noisemakers, Phantom Chips invites the audience to play and manipulate sound with her touch-based electronics.

”Farrads 4 Jupiter”, the debut release of Phantom Chips, is recorded using a mix of handmade electronics, hardware and live coding. The aim of the release was to construct something recorded rather than to release a live recording. The process involved playing with the algorithms and generative elements in order to create randomness and responses to it.

Tara Pattenden is a Meanjin-based artist, creative technologist and educator who produces work that engages the audience through encouraging play and democratising creativity. Working across diverse media including performance, sculpture, soft circuitry and creative coding, Pattenden’s work has been featured at Tectonics in Glasgow and Novas Frequências in Rio de Janeiro as well as recent temporary public artworks across Brisbane. In addition to her solo project Phantom Chips, she has been in bands such as Kunt, Monster Zoku Onsomb, BodyVice, the FCKN BSTRDS and Goodiepal and Pals.

https://artsyrecords.bandcamp.com/album ... -4-jupiter
Artsy_Records
C20

Post by Artsy_Records »

A couple of newbies for Bandcamp Friday:

AVARUS: Festareilla (2 live recordings from way back when)
MEMORY DREAMS: Scorpion? (vhs/vaporwave-type moods)

also discounts on most of the recent merch items during today (1st march on some time zone)

https://artsyrecords.bandcamp.com/
Artsy_Records
C20

Post by Artsy_Records »

AVARUS and PHANTOM CHIPS tapes out and shipping !!!!