Listening Habits

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
ligature impression
Sound Art

Re: Listening Habits

Post by ligature impression »

I basically refuse to listen to something new unless I can listen loud, uninterrupted and relatively present. Pretty much just stereo or car. I have too many newish releases that have and continue to pile up, and if I need to do things or will be in and out of rooms, ill play something I already know. I’m not a big fan of headphone listening, but after hearing Erik N. say that’s his preferred way, I might do some headphone studies!

I try to do a balance of new arrivals, collection favorites and internet tips of stuff I’ve never heard but it’s gotta be loud in the room/car for me.
GUTTER BLOAT
Body Carve / Ligature Impression http://gutterbloat.blogspot.com
leuksi
Hard Panning

Post by leuksi »

Noise has definitely became a headphone thing for me, one of the reasons being that I often can't listen to it loud through speakers, and this way I can concentrate better on what I hear, and hear it more clear than through our home hi-fi system playing at apartment building friendly volume levels. Especially when listening to new stuff I wan't to hear "all of it".
-NRRRRK-
Hard Panning

Post by -NRRRRK- »

Listening mostly on headphones as well, since my wife is not a fan of noise.

Got a pile with new arrivals next to the stereo, that I listen to a least once before filing them away. Some stay there for repeated listening, next to some classics/older stuff, that is in my current listening rotation.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

I haven't listened to much noise, pe, or death industrial since I got kidney stones over a year ago. In pretty much constant pain. It's frustrating.
sarinDK
Contact Mic

Post by sarinDK »

New acquisitions I prefer to play loud on the stereo. On the commute I stick to my favorites. Headphones at night.
I love to take deep dives into discographies from time to time, though there is indeed not enough time for the large part of the collection. Can't even imagine what it's like for a distro/label person!
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

My listening habits tend to vary a lot. Sometimes it's just background noise (pun intended) and sometimes more focused. Usually it's new stuff (for me) and it's more like searching and exploring rather than enjoying certain old favorites. There's so much stuff to be heard that sometimes I feel like there's no time to enjoy old favorites. It's a bit fucked up but searching and finding something good is rewarding.
Most annoying it's when I can't really listen to nothing else than my own work, this usually happens when I'm working on new release. It's not usually fun, it's obsessive, constant work. But that's just how it is. I don't think listening to music should always be "fun."

And I listen to all kinds of music, I really don't separate noise from "real music." One time I realized that I had been listening only to harsh noise or Iron Maiden for couple of months. Hopefully this is first and last mention of Iron Maiden on this forum.
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
Brian O'Blivion
Hard Panning

Post by Brian O'Blivion »

For the past couple years, new releases get 3-5 deep listens so that I feel I know the release and have a bit of a relationship with it, and then it gets moved off the pile. It's time consuming with proper albums and really slows down my ability to keep up with the insane amount of new releases constantly coming out, but I enjoy the experience very much and it keeps me within a reasonable budget. Always in headphones, and usually on walks with the dog or in my home office.
D345 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:40 am And I listen to all kinds of music, I really don't separate noise from "real music."
I'd imagine that's the case for many of us here. I'm certainly an avid listener of multiple genres of music.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

I drive 1h each way for work and I’m in the car a lot during the day, I usually do podcasts on my commute and “fun stuff” while driving around - metal, classic rock, funky stuff, space rock shit. I can’t listen to the harsh shit while I’m cruising around town. I feel like noise is something I kind of focus on, or maybe “zone out” to? Either way it’s just not car music to me.

I get home and usually try to roll through my current pile of harsh stuff while my wife is working in her office. I usually keep a pile of stuff next to the stereo I like to work through.

Weekends I try to do more chilled stuff, Tangerine Dream, ambient, synthesizer stuff and spacey shit while having coffee in the morning and I find cooking meals is a good time to try out new shit on Tidal.
MaldororEstMort
C20

Post by MaldororEstMort »

holy ghost wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:06 pmI can’t listen to the harsh shit while I’m cruising around town. I feel like noise is something I kind of focus on, or maybe “zone out” to? Either way it’s just not car music to me.
good to know that i'm not the only one that feels that way.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

MaldororEstMort wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:21 pm
holy ghost wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:06 pmI can’t listen to the harsh shit while I’m cruising around town. I feel like noise is something I kind of focus on, or maybe “zone out” to? Either way it’s just not car music to me.
good to know that i'm not the only one that feels that way.
Same. I generally want to hear noise on speakers at home, as loud as I can get without someone complaining. Just fits the feel of the music being all encompassing and monolithic.
Buried_slag_debris
C20

Post by Buried_slag_debris »

In my living room - I have a "to listen to" pile - which I try to rip through a handful a week (not always successful), and I have been lately trying to revisit/re-listen to stuff I haven't put on in a while on the weekends. It seems endless, but I like this. Also like to look through the artwork, j-cards, liner notes, etc. Love this stuff.

I also work from home (years before covid), so this is where I really appreciate download codes for new releases. I know everyone is not a fan, and I get it. But I am sometimes in front of a computer 8–12 hours a day, depending on the work week. So I do get a lot of new release listening done as I work. headphones and through my speakers.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

It's a matter of balancing the ideal with the given. In theory, I subscribe to the you, yes you, only you my precious, will receive my full and undivided attention for a serious and studied extended interval, blasting through the designated system at the designated levels. Fact is, I listen whenever, wherever, however. Proper system, handheld, computer, earbuds, headphones, speakers, at work, at home, sofa, kitchen, doing dishes, doing laundry, taking a break, taking a shit, on the train, on the phone - "sorry, must be a bad connection" - in the car, in the cab, in the here and now, in the afterlife. Minor exaggeration but you get the picture. I suppose what I'd most crave is the opportunity to hear the same shit in different environments, different configurations, the moment forever fleeting and (in theory) all the better for it. Picture that guy in Sideways drinking Chateau Lafite or whatever at McDonald's. That's the way, noise version.
totalblack
Hard Panning

Post by totalblack »

Buried_slag_debris wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:26 pm In my living room - I have a "to listen to" pile - which I try to rip through a handful a week (not always successful), and I have been lately trying to revisit/re-listen to stuff I haven't put on in a while on the weekends. It seems endless, but I like this. Also like to look through the artwork, j-cards, liner notes, etc. Love this stuff.
your living room basically has the optimal conditions for listening to physical media in comfort
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:58 am I suppose what I'd most crave is the opportunity to hear the same shit in different environments, different configurations, the moment forever fleeting and (in theory) all the better for it.
This is good one to note. I'm still amazed at how often albums I've known for years (music and non-music) can be holding on to something that is only revealed under certain conditions. Headphones, the acoustics of a different room, better and/or different speakers, etc. can shine new light into sonic depths previously thought to be fully explored.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

ligature impression wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:48 pm I’m not a big fan of headphone listening, but after hearing Erik N. say that’s his preferred way, I might do some headphone studies!
It’s more that I do it out of necessity really. My alone time at home is limited to maybe… five hours a year. I take every rare little opportunity I get to play noise loud in speakers. But a pair of good big roomy headphones aren’t that bad.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

I also do quite a bit of headphone listening due to living in a small space with my girlfriend and wanting to be fair on her use of the living room. I started with these AKG bluetooth over ears which are fine but I've now taken to using my wired studio headphones instead. Big, stupid Beyer Dynamic cans. Not only is the sound a lot better but it feels a little kinder on my ears and tinnitus. Roomy but immersive and close. I actually get quite a lot out of this way of doing things and often find it preferable for checking out new releases. Of course when the house is free I tend to utilise the speakers for louder playing but I don't really feel like the headphones are a compromising experience like I might have done before.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

I can recommend the Mixcder C9 for bluetooth over-ears. They sound great, the noise cancellation is excellent and I can wear them all day if I wanted to. Helps to get a lot of listening done at work when I'm often away from my desk, and for doing stuff around the house.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
violentgrief
Contact Mic

Post by violentgrief »

I swear by the Sony WH-1000XM4. The best headphones I've ever had.

Sometimes I'll play some dark ambient through my monitors whilst working but I much prefer giving all of my attention to an album.
Dressing
Sound Art

Post by Dressing »

I've found recently that I am getting through so much more CDs and returning to them again and again in the car. This is for 2 reasons. The first being if I have a 3/4 CDs in the car I tend to put them on rotation and really get into them. When they are in the house among piles of other music I tend jump around and not stick on one thing. The second reason is linked to the first, when trying to listen to noise at home doesn't always go down so well, especially when you have a kid. And I don't really enjoy listening on headphones. So there is some vinyl that I have yet to give proper time to. I'll have to get a record player in my car...
Buried_slag_debris
C20

Post by Buried_slag_debris »

totalblack wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:45 am
your living room basically has the optimal conditions for listening to physical media in comfort
Thanks Brett! Just need to get things organized.

Would love to hear how people organize and store or display their collection haha. Mine has been out of order for years now - but I know roughly where everything is. I am also in an apartment - so space is limited. Special packaging is all over the place - as it doesn't store well for the most part. Still always trying to figure out how to reorganize it all better. I am sure I am overthinking it.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Buried_slag_debris wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:49 am Would love to hear how people organize and store or display their collection haha. Mine has been out of order for years now - but I know roughly where everything is. I am also in an apartment - so space is limited. Special packaging is all over the place - as it doesn't store well for the most part. Still always trying to figure out how to reorganize it all better. I am sure I am overthinking it.
That's a good thread in and of itself. And here it is: viewtopic.php?t=68
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

In the car this evening with Usagi Macro reissue. Damn, they givin me good vibrations.

But the thing is, right. Car. And other shall we say slightly altered states of concentration. In some ways I feel these to be the optimum though I'm not sure I can quite pinpoint why. In fact, I might say that it's the non-pinpointable aspects of slightly altered listening which lend such experiences their own domain.

Glad to have made no sense whatsoever.
urall
Blank Tape

Post by urall »

During work (when not in meetings) i listen to noise through headphones or sometimes through my 'studio' monitors (when at home).
Otherwise it's through my stereo & speakers on the weekend mostly at my place. My kids & gf don't mind noise unless it's piercing high end stuff.
No noise in the car.

The last couple of years i slowed down immensely with buying stuff, which reduces my new inbox pile. I listen to new stuff a couple of times before i put it in my shelves, i always feel stupid if someone asks 'so what do you think of release X' and i can't even remember what is sounds like.
Vivian
C20

Post by Vivian »

I stopped caring anymore.
shared
Andreas
Blank Tape

Post by Andreas »

Prefer to listen out loud, having the sounds jostling about in the apartment. Until a year ago I commuted 2h/day and spent that time with ear buds blasting. Rarely noise music though, at most some old industrial stuff. Also never bothered getting cordless headphones so it's just cumbersome to be attached to the machines.

But then again I have the privilege of living alone sans ununderstanding partners or kids.