Mourning damaged releases thread

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Noise Fanatic

Mourning damaged releases thread

Post by 33033 »

Anyone here have accidents or fuck ups with an item in your collection? I assume we all have. Just peeled some glue off the edge of my CYESS AFXZS "Americhasm" CD, which thankfully didn't impact it's playing...

Something(?) fell and landed on my copy of BONE MATRIX - "Skeletonized" CD-R (it was in a 2 panel cardboard cover) and now it has a big dent in it. I have it digitally as well but it sucks.

Bought a cheap copy of EMIL BEAULIEAU - "Korm 88" and the tape player I used I'm pretty sure ripped the tape from the leader. It wasn't a screw apart shell so I tried cracking it open and it just killed the whole thing. I now have the case and a downloaded version.

WOLF EYES - "Lateral Hinges" on cassette second hand for $2.99 and the leader actually was separated from the tape when I opened it (the case was also sealed by a piece of sticky paper, wtf?), but it was a screw based so I was able to reconnect it. I'm still sorta iffy on playing it even though it works fine.
shrouded.in.antiquity
Hard Panning

Re: Mourning damaged releases thread

Post by shrouded.in.antiquity »

My tape player tried to eat a Magnetic Coroner cassette and while I was able to save it, the tape has somehow become twisted in the enclosure and I can't seem to figure out how to untwist it so until I really have some time to take the shell apart it sits on my desk...
If the shell doesn't have screws, I would honestly just try pulling the tape and the leader out of the shell gently with your fingers, taping them together and then winding the spools back up. I don't think there's a way to get those fused shells apart without shattering them in some way.

I've had glue on CDs before, usually those paper sleeves which are pasted together near the spine, although I've been lucky enough that it hasn't ruined any where that's happened! One of the worst parts of living in a place with high humidity is that the glue of CD sleeves and digipaks often fails relatively quickly. While I prefer jewel cases, half the time when I order a CD in a jewel case it shows up cracked or with part of the case broken which is frustrating.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

TELECORPS CS and AMB / ABFALL split CS, both original MSNP, snapped from the leader. Thank god for screw shells - I fixed them and the both play well now.

V/A - Crusade, original Broken Flag tape, was chewed by an old tape deck. Had to cut off circa 40 seconds right at the beginning of side A/end of side B, and mend it. Plays fine now!

BA.KU. - Ritual Totemic Stone CS on Trash Ritual. It was snapped off when I received it, but since the shell is spraypainted all over, I just thought it was blank. Not sure what made me open the case, but I eventually did and saw the error and fixed it. Plays fine now.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

Okay, you've had your fun. Moderators, delete this thread.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:37 am Okay, you've had your fun. Moderators, delete this thread.
Reported comment for party pooping.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Immediately following the recent chat of it on the WCN Discord, my deck tried to eat the Energy Gradient tape on Cloister. After then eating a blank I was dubbing a new release on, the deck fully stopped any playing motion and had the awfulest time fast-forwarding and rewinding any tape. All issues quickly resolved in a literal minute by using one of those cleaning cassettes. Keep an eye on your pinch rollers!
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Scream & Writhe wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:07 pm Immediately following the recent chat of it on the WCN Discord, my deck tried to eat the Energy Gradient tape on Cloister. After then eating a blank I was dubbing a new release on, the deck fully stopped any playing motion and had the awfulest time fast-forwarding and rewinding any tape.
That's what I'm trying to say. Wake up people. You think the tape decks aren't monitoring this? This post will self destruct in...
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

That Government Alpha / Bastard Noise / Hiroshi Hasegawa 7" has a re-seal-able lip on it, when I was pulling it out it it touched the record and it got adhesive on the actual 7". I cleaned most of it off but it still makes pops for a minute and my needle is a pricey MF so it does not get played.

My copy of the Sunn/Boris collab 3LP came with 2 copies of LP 1 and no copies of LP 3 - I really want to find a copy of it - or a double CD version - either way it's very annoying - I bought a sealed copy online so I wasn't about to pay return postage and it's not the sellers fault.... just annoying it happened to be a record that costs a lot of money....

I have always had good luck with tapes. As a kid I remember chewed or snapped tape but that was probably because I used a walkman every minute of the day....
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:07 pm Immediately following the recent chat of it on the WCN Discord, my deck tried to eat the Energy Gradient tape on Cloister. After then eating a blank I was dubbing a new release on, the deck fully stopped any playing motion and had the awfulest time fast-forwarding and rewinding any tape. All issues quickly resolved in a literal minute by using one of those cleaning cassettes. Keep an eye on your pinch rollers!
Thank you for the reminder on those cleaning tapes! Need to invest.
holy ghost wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:44 pm That Government Alpha / Bastard Noise / Hiroshi Hasegawa 7" has a re-seal-able lip on it, when I was pulling it out it it touched the record and it got adhesive on the actual 7". I cleaned most of it off but it still makes pops for a minute and my needle is a pricey MF so it does not get played.
This is the stuff of nightmares. I once dropped a brand new copy of a John Carpenter LP on the side of a couch while drunk, and got super paranoid it took damage. Nothing happened. No issues.
Thomas_B
Contact Mic

Post by Thomas_B »

The other day, I was leaving my house to drive to work, Blind Date’s “Thank You” CD in hand, and I somehow managed to close the house door on it. The clear plastic tray is completely messed up, and one corner of the digipak is properly mangled. I’m generally very careful with stuff in my collection, especially LPs. When I was a teenager, pre-noise interest, I was transferring my copy of Hayden’s LP Everything I Long For from turntable to sleeve and dropped the vinyl which impacted the hardwood floor vertically. A sizeable stress fracture formed, forever ruining that LP. I don’t miss it today, but I was pretty miserable about it at the time.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

holy ghost wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:44 pm That Government Alpha / Bastard Noise / Hiroshi Hasegawa 7" has a re-seal-able lip on it, when I was pulling it out it it touched the record and it got adhesive on the actual 7". I cleaned most of it off but it still makes pops for a minute and my needle is a pricey MF so it does not get played.
If you haven't tried already, give it a soak in some lighter fluid for a minute and take a cotton pad to it. It may help.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Oafishly dragged my tone arm across side A of Adam Bohman's 'Bunhill Row' having not lifted it back off the groove at the end. Gigantic, ruinous scratch running across most of the side. This was New Year's Day 2012 and I still carry it around despite having replaced it years ago. Can't bring myself to throw out the unplayable but otherwise NM record cos it's so good. Does anyone want a one sides copy of Adam Bohman's 'Bunhill Row'?
Tinnitustimulus
C20

Post by Tinnitustimulus »

I bought a warmth LP that turned out to be so warped it was nearly unplayable. I think Steev would have at least would like the loops it ended up making. Funny that everything else I got from this persons table I checked and was fine. Oh well.

Bought a Rough-Hewn comp cs with sticky sprocket wheels from a Hive Mind show. After some graphite on the open case the wheels turned but the dub itself was affected so I just rerecorded it with the bandcamp and wondered the concept legitimacy of a physical release. I remember shipping my own tapes for a trade to Australia and having one blank so I sent him the files rather than spending 20 dollars again.

I remember an ex I was amicable enough with, very much insisting on a free copy of a tape I put out. I rode my bike to the post office with my parka pockets shoved with packages of it and of course theirs falls out and immediately gets runover by a dump truck, a bus and Ford F350 before I could get to it. Almost sent it out of spite, but decided I could use the material for loops.
Mattias Gustafsson
Contact Mic

Post by Mattias Gustafsson »

0884808F-E69C-49FA-BAE2-6959317BECC2.jpeg
0884808F-E69C-49FA-BAE2-6959317BECC2.jpeg (53.36 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
This Suzanne Ciani reissue LP looked like this when I got it 10 years ago. Label malfunction.
Remember it was the distro’s last copy so I picked up another record for the same price and i didn’t need to send it back. Win win situation.
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

All my records melted into a one huge plastic mountain in a house fire, and usually I don't miss them too much but occasionally there are some moments when I remember that "oh yeah, I used to have that one too and it's gone!". Things I miss the most were the vinyls of Burrough's Nothing Here But Recordings and Bryan Lewis Saunders' Near Death Experience, the weight of the whole package somehow always felt really good when you put them on. Also all the Kikagaku Moyo LPs. Those I miss, although they are probably now all repressed, I don't have the kind of money to buy them all back. Actually I don't even have a player now, I go to the coffee shop near by when I want to listen to something.
The only vinyls I have now are Keiji Haino's Watashi Dake? and Nightstick's Blotter, which I bought mostly because I was too embarrassed not to buy anything when I had spent an afternoon in a really small record shop alone with the owner, hah.
Oh yeah, I recently bought too shakuhachi LPs too!
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Mattias Gustafsson wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:34 pm 0884808F-E69C-49FA-BAE2-6959317BECC2.jpeg

This Suzanne Ciani reissue LP looked like this when I got it 10 years ago. Label malfunction.
Remember it was the distro’s last copy so I picked up another record for the same price and i didn’t need to send it back. Win win situation.
Wow that is an insane accident, how did the factory not catch that??
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

33033 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:43 pm
Mattias Gustafsson wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:34 pm 0884808F-E69C-49FA-BAE2-6959317BECC2.jpeg

Wow that is an insane accident, how did the factory not catch that??
Had some CRESS 7"s in the old distro ~15 years ago where the same thing had happened. Human QC probably doesn't pass by every record, things slip through the cracks. In the case of that 7" I think there were even 3 attempts of the same label being applied.
WCN
Maniacs Only

Post by WCN »

I’ve had a couple favorite tapes get partially recorded over with silence when I accidentally had the deck in Rec mode when I hit play. Labels, PLEASE punch the tabs on your tapes so this can’t happen to us.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:52 pm Human QC probably doesn't pass by every record, things slip through the cracks.
Entirely. It's another reason why the continued fetishisation of vinyl is funny as fuck when all that amazing sounding shit people imagine happens as soon as a groove is cut into a disc is the product of a QC standard and industrial strength that hasn't existed in decades. I saw a photo of some Billy Eilish 2xLP - or maybe someone else. In any case, the type of thing that is the reason you and I can't get our shitty noise albums done in a cheap or timely fashion anymore. It had a giant bubble the size of 1/2 a milk dud sticking upward out of a spot on the record just after the lead in groove. You've never seen that on a copy of Cosmo's Factory, I guarantee it.

Anyway, I once lived in a flat share with pretty drug inclined housemates and it wasn't uncommon to return home from work or something else to find one of their friends passed wherever there was a free bed. I didn't mind this at the time but a few hours after kicking one such person out of my room I started to smell something weird. Like piss. It wasn't til I was trying to sleep that night I located the source of the smell as a carry bag full of tapes I used to keep in a cabinet by my bed. I believe it was a moment of blacked out automation rather than knowing spite but this person had emptied their whole beer and class A addled bladder directly into it. There wouldn't have been that much I was sad to part with in the worst effected articles but I do recall it signalled the end of my having every Soundholes release up to that point which ached at the time. I suppose the most notable casualty of them all was a ltd. to 1 Tuluum Shimmering cassette given to me by the artist as a gift. I did let it dry out and kept ahold of it but that hand made paper collage packaging was never the same again. In the end I gave that to a mega fan collector who was fully aware of the provenance.

Always thought that Piss Sodden Tapes would be a great name for the right type of label.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

WCN wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:52 pm I’ve had a couple favorite tapes get partially recorded over with silence when I accidentally had the deck in Rec mode when I hit play. Labels, PLEASE punch the tabs on your tapes so this can’t happen to us.
Heh, I once knew an idiot, a true idiot (and I would know!), who in his more antisocial days would record over the local library Raffi tapes and shit with Masonna. Was kinda amazed more people never did it. Or did they?
Molena
C20

Post by Molena »

had an ex girlfriend who ' accidentally spilled' lemonade on a box of tapes. sticky messed up tape heads and fruit fly's all summer.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:51 am
WCN wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:52 pm I’ve had a couple favorite tapes get partially recorded over with silence when I accidentally had the deck in Rec mode when I hit play. Labels, PLEASE punch the tabs on your tapes so this can’t happen to us.
Heh, I once knew an idiot, a true idiot (and I would know!), who in his more antisocial days would record over the local library Raffi tapes and shit with Masonna. Was kinda amazed more people never did it. Or did they?
This for the win! That's hysterical.
minimal.impact
Contact Mic

Post by minimal.impact »

There was a tape I picked up from a little known artist off Bandcamp some years back that I was really excited to listen to. When it came around to actually playing it, I inadvertently hit the record button as well as play on my deck, recording a few seconds of silence over the beginnings of the first side. I dont know if the Bandcamp exists any more either, so I may never hear it in its entirety

Also, I've had a bunch of distro stock damaged by flood waters, leaving a heap of hand assembled card and paper inserts and 7" covers waterlogged and with running ink.
PetiteSoles
Hard Panning

Post by PetiteSoles »

My copy of Disgust’s “Time Ruins Everything…” was somehow cracked. No clue how, it was oddly skipping the last time I played it and realized the horror shortly after. I’m usually pretty careful with that kind of thing and even have boxes specifically made to house conventionally packaged 3”s

One of my favorite Disgust releases too.