CD pregap tracks

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
A_____R_______
Sound Art

CD pregap tracks

Post by A_____R_______ »

For one of the CD releases I’m working on I was hoping to include a track in the pregap before track 1. I like the idea of it being an optional intro and there is something appealing about the work one would have to do to be able to play it, even if it means it gets lost on most people, at least for myself… but are there any places that can handle CD duplication with pregaps? I don’t see it explicitly mentioned anywhere and I’m honestly not sure if it can still be done since it might be a pre-Red Book relic… anyone else try this or know of any resources? I still enjoy CDs and would like to find some ways to push the format beyond just being 1:1 file transfers, so any other ideas are welcome here
Tribe Tapes
Thrashmaster

Re: CD pregap tracks

Post by Tribe Tapes »

Pregap audio before track 1 is fully supported by the Red Book standard. Monotype and other professional manufacturers are going to create your CDs from the DDP image you provide. If your DDP image has the pregap configured properly, it should work as intended. Do a test run at home and write the DDP image to a CD-R to ensure that it works, and confirm this with your manufacturer.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Re: CD pregap tracks

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Truth. CDs are replicated based on the DDP image. Any pregap / "minus time" / standard gaps between tracks / hidden tracks / etc have to be set up through the DDP image creating software. A DDP image can be treated like a master tape in a way.

I've been using a cracked version of Sonoris to create my DDP images. It's not an overly robust tool, but it gets the job done and one doesn't need too many bells and whistles.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics