Looking for a noise podcast that talks process and gear

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Looking for a noise podcast that talks process and gear

Post by luciferjonez »

Hey all,

Just started listening to some noise podcasts by Noise Extra and they've been entertaining. Does anyone know of a podcast that deals with gear talk and noise artists process?
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Re: Looking for a noise podcast that talks process and gear

Post by Residual / RT »

If you pay a few bucks per month on Patreon, you can get access to Noisextra Trashware, special episodes that revolve around gear and noise making techniques only. There's dozens in the archive at this point and a new one out every two weeks. Well worth the insignificant amount of money they ask for the lowest tier.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Residual / RT wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:54 am If you pay a few bucks per month on Patreon, you can get access to Noisextra Trashware, special episodes that revolve around gear and noise making techniques only. There's dozens in the archive at this point and a new one out every two weeks. Well worth the insignificant amount of money they ask for the lowest tier.
Great! Thanks!
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

I did find on my apple podcast app: The process: a podcast about creativity and experimental music. It has its moments.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

After listening to a bunch of different podcasts I've noticed that most of them unless its on mix cloud do not play any of the music they are discussing. Is this a rule with podcasts? Some sort of legal BS?
WCN
Maniacs Only

Post by WCN »

luciferjonez wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:27 am After listening to a bunch of different podcasts I've noticed that most of them unless its on mix cloud do not play any of the music they are discussing. Is this a rule with podcasts? Some sort of legal BS?
My decision not to play much of the music I'm discussing is mostly because I don't think the pacing works so well, but some do it well. The relatively few episodes of Special Interests podcast do this, and it works quite well for the format. https://special-interests-podcast.bandcamp.com/

I do use excerpts in the opening and closing, and interestingly enough, some of them do get flagged as copyright infringement! When it's from a label that is officially registered and has uploaded them to streaming services, usually the work is in their database of protected music, and the YouTube software recognizes it and flags it while uploading. Still allows it to be uploaded, but it deactivates any potential YouTube monetization, etc. I do find it really fascinating that their "music analyzing software" or whatever it is can recognize a 30 second blast of SUNK COST and identify that it comes from a copyright protected album from Dada Drumming!
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

WCN wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:41 pm
luciferjonez wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:27 am After listening to a bunch of different podcasts I've noticed that most of them unless its on mix cloud do not play any of the music they are discussing. Is this a rule with podcasts? Some sort of legal BS?
My decision not to play much of the music I'm discussing is mostly because I don't think the pacing works so well, but some do it well. The relatively few episodes of Special Interests podcast do this, and it works quite well for the format. https://special-interests-podcast.bandcamp.com/

I do use excerpts in the opening and closing, and interestingly enough, some of them do get flagged as copyright infringement! When it's from a label that is officially registered and has uploaded them to streaming services, usually the work is in their database of protected music, and the YouTube software recognizes it and flags it while uploading. Still allows it to be uploaded, but it deactivates any potential YouTube monetization, etc. I do find it really fascinating that their "music analyzing software" or whatever it is can recognize a 30 second blast of SUNK COST and identify that it comes from a copyright protected album from Dada Drumming!
Thank you! That explains a lot! I was just listening to your "why does noise have to evolve?" Podcast on spotify oddly enough.