Sarin Snow - Deus Vult (2019)

Dedicated reviews section. All writers welcome.
DIODE SNORTER
C20

Sarin Snow - Deus Vult (2019)

Post by DIODE SNORTER »

Originally published on the NoiseWiki forum, Sep 29, 2021:

Sarin Snow - Deus Vult (Breathing Problem Productions - BPP-101, 2019)
thumb_sarinsnow1.jpg
thumb_sarinsnow1.jpg (15.22 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

Ugh.
I admit nowadays that I generally find power electronics to be boring or cringe-worthy, but if I could walk a mile in the shoes of someone who’s really into the genre, I still couldn’t imagine placing this album in my top 100, let alone top 10.
This is quite possibly the most generic, shallow PE album I’ve ever heard.
The style is fairly derivative of mid-tier Prurient tapes, with spoken vocals buried under (I guess) synth rhythms (and pretty basic ones at that).
The thing that really puts me off, though, is just how arbitrary and soulless the use of scrap metal was.
At no point do any of the included metallic textures sync with or complement the overall sound in any meaningful or interesting way: they instead come off as distracting, as if the artist is going through the motions of filling out some printed checklist of PE tropes (“gotta have some chains in there if I wanna be legit!”).
I suppose tracks like “Nicene Creed” and “Saint Longinus” get slightly closer than others to being memorable in this respect, but frankly it was too much of a chore to get though this album for me to recommend it solely on the strength of those two tracks alone.
It’s amusing to me how this album somehow got a vinyl reissue; I guess I’m not the target audience for this kind of stuff.

hear the full album on youtube