Irish Harsh Noise

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Vibg
Contact Mic

Irish Harsh Noise

Post by Vibg »

Anyone aware of harsh noise projects from Ireland?
murmur
Hard Panning

Re: Irish Harsh Noise

Post by murmur »

Dressing is Irish I think. Cyess Afxzs is Irish
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

Are you in Ireland?
Vibg
Contact Mic

Post by Vibg »

No, but family was . . .
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

Vibg wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:47 am Anyone aware of harsh noise projects from Ireland?
Not harsh noise centric but seek out Nyahh Records and Krim Kram both based in Ireland and check Dublin Digital Radios’s Square Wave broadcasts archived here as well;https://listen.dublindigitalradio.com/r ... uare-waves
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Bipolar (fucking) Joe. He's got a kid now and I think he's pretty preoccupied with personal life obligations. Would be great to see him more active again.

A double interview between he and Dawid could be great fun, BTW. Need to see all of those pictures of Joe in tutu again.
moozz
Hard Panning

Post by moozz »

Where Is This was an Irish HNW project.
Knifedoutofexistence
C20

Post by Knifedoutofexistence »

Luxury Mollusc and Dressing are what springs to mind. Jamie Grimes has done numerous noise things, most recent is Otterans but that’s more ambient/guitar based soundscapes. Wölfbait, Drainland and Unyielding Love for Irish bands incorporating a lot of noise into their sound (only the last one of them is still active though). There’s an Irish noise Facebook group, but it does seem to be mostly just Stu Luxury Mollusc keeping it going with what noise he’s listening to that day. I do a duo called Glaives Of Ire that’s only played one show and done one tape, that’s technically still active and half Irish. An Irish friend who lives in Liverpool now is currently researching a bunch of old Belfast experimental/industrial/tape music projects for a radio show of his, I’ll link that in here when it’s done.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

try to figure out how to make electric bagpipes.
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

luciferjonez wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:05 pm try to figure out how to make electric bagpipes.
electric Uilleann Pipes?
Last edited by fenian on Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:21 pm A double interview between he and Dawid could be great fun, BTW. Need to see all of those pictures of Joe in tutu again.
Start a podcast, if you haven’t already.
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

Knifedoutofexistence wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:42 pm Luxury Mollusc and Dressing are what springs to mind.
Although not harsh noise strictly speaking as OP asked about, very much worth checking out Dublin based Dressing.

https://krimkram.bandcamp.com/album/dressing
https://oxenrecords.bigcartel.com/product/dressing
https://abhorrentafterdeath.bandcamp.co ... ening-well
Knifedoutofexistence
C20

Yeah, my post definitely went down the wide umbrella of noise than specifically harsh noise. There’s a new promotions group in Belfast that have their first show coming up soon, and that’s being opened by a project called Optic Chain, debut show apparently, so looks like there’s a new harsh project out of Belfast.
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

Knifedoutofexistence wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:12 pm Yeah, my post definitely went down the wide umbrella of noise than specifically harsh noise. There’s a new promotions group in Belfast that have their first show coming up soon, and that’s being opened by a project called Optic Chain, debut show apparently, so looks like there’s a new harsh project out of Belfast.
We’re pretty well set in aiming to set up a show in Cork for next year (and Dublin?) with Dressing but still not entirely convinced there’s enough of an audience for actual harsh noise if Leah and I were to also play.

Krim Kram set up a show for Dressing at Plugd in Cork last year; Plugd btw a very highly recommended spot for records, live action, coffee and company.

Hoping against hope there’d be a way to affect a draw for HN.
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

Knifedoutofexistence wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:12 pm Yeah, my post definitely went down the wide umbrella of noise than specifically harsh noise. There’s a new promotions group in Belfast that have their first show coming up soon, and that’s being opened by a project called Optic Chain, debut show apparently, so looks like there’s a new harsh project out of Belfast.
Thanks for this, will keep an eye out for that, have they got anything to do with the act Hovering?
Knifedoutofexistence
C20

Beyond the name and it being a “debut set of harsh noise soundscapes”, I know zero about the project. I’ll find out more.

Dave Krim Kram flew over for a show I played on Sunday (for Star, not me) and said that there’s a few places you could play in Ireland as long as you were ok with playing to about 2 people.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

I’d definitely fly to cork for a Leah P/USC/Dressing show. Sure I’m not the only one.
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

Knifedoutofexistence wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:16 am Dave Krim Kram flew over for a show I played on Sunday (for Star, not me) and said that there’s a few places you could play in Ireland as long as you were ok with playing to about 2 people.
That’s who was assisting us with a possible Cork show. Dave is factually the best dude.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

fenian wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:25 am Dave is factually the best dude.
It sounds like hyperbole but truly if the data could actually be gathered I'm confident the same result would bear out.
Knifedoutofexistence
C20

Asked about that new project, apparently it used to be under Hovering but I’m not familiar with that either. Also got linked to this spreadsheet of Irish noise: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... M/htmlview#
Vibg
Contact Mic

Post by Vibg »

Knifedoutofexistence wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:42 pm An Irish friend who lives in Liverpool now is currently researching a bunch of old Belfast experimental/industrial/tape music projects for a radio show of his, I’ll link that in here when it’s done.
That would be awesome, please do!

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. Seems Dressing's the thing to check out and I have been doing so. Interesting to see what he does next . . . Now LuxuryMollusc: the combination of sounds I've heard and almost impossible to read Bandcamp page(https://luxuriousmollusc.bandcamp.com/) is something special!! Thank you for pointing me in this direction.
luciferjonez wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:05 pm try to figure out how to make electric bagpipes.
Ha, a company named Blair did: their digital chanter is a thing of beauty.
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

Knifedoutofexistence wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:08 pm Also got linked to this spreadsheet of Irish noise: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... M/htmlview#
Amazing thanks for this.