Dream gear and future innovations

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Re: Dream gear and future innovations

Post by SS1535 »

ASN wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:39 pm Unfortunately I don’t and Max from Death Kneel has mine now.

The thing that looks like a hot plate next to the red cup on the right of photo is the prototype.

Lousy pic but same tour, right hand on the Torture Wheel prototype.

The prototype did not survive the tour so the final version was in a metal enclosure and smaller, wheel was matt black.

I put nails in mine so it was also a shaker. You basically pushed the wheel down and turned it and it made an unholy screeching sound.
So what exactly did it do? Did you spin the wheel to get sounds---like some sort of more controllable shaker box?
leuksi
Hard Panning

Post by leuksi »

An in-production, somewhat affordable head version of a Roland JC-120. No way I could ever afford the combo, and gigging with it without a car is near impossible, but holy shit is it the best amp I've every used in both grindcore and noise.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

leuksi wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:09 am An in-production, somewhat affordable head version of a Roland JC-120. No way I could ever afford the combo, and gigging with it without a car is near impossible, but holy shit is it the best amp I've every used in both grindcore and noise.
Ugh, I had a dream the other night that I had a gig where I didn't know the material, and had to drive in my old hyundai accent with my JC-120, guitar and pedal board and I couldn't get the amp to fit. I love the sound of that amp but it is one heavy motherfucker.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Atrophist wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:10 pm Lightweight but durable case for noise_gear. Something that doesn't weight as much as I do, and something I can attach my gear to, already connectd to each other. Guitar/keyboard cases all have downsides that I can't get past.
Theres a guy on Instagram called "noise.rambler"? search it out you'll find him. He uses a $36 (USD) HUSKY 2 tiered tool box from home depot that he had to modify but it seems to work nicely depending on how much gear you have.
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:04 pm
Perhaps this won't be useful to you, but I found a Hitachi power tool case on a curb that has worked really well for me... It's basically the perfect size for standard pedals. I cut out the inner plastic molding with a razor and it's a little wobbly and the lid sits slightly askew as a result, but the latches on top keep it secure. It's very lightweight and does a good job of keeping everything protected and in its place, even without actually having any velcro on the bottom of my pedals anymore.

I put an output jack directly on the case. If I ever get it back from my nephew, I might like to add an input jack as well, and some other holes for cable management. My nephew also has an old Califone headphone case into which I put a bunch of pedals for him to borrow. Also fairly rugged and lightweight, and an easier "off-the-shelf" option that could also be modified similarly. Only issue is that it's a bit deep compared to the Hitachi case.
Something like this, but a bit larger would be ideal. Will have to keep trying different things. I have the added issue of a slightly physical disability, so carrying things is a bit difficult.

The most straightforward solution to this I’ve seen is the one Ahola & Silander (great Finnish harsh noise duo) use: they just a carry a huge sheet of plywood around with everything attached to it. With velcro? Glue? Who knows!
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

luciferjonez wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:34 am
Atrophist wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:10 pm Lightweight but durable case for noise_gear. Something that doesn't weight as much as I do, and something I can attach my gear to, already connectd to each other. Guitar/keyboard cases all have downsides that I can't get past.
Theres a guy on Instagram called "noise.rambler"? search it out you'll find him. He uses a $36 (USD) HUSKY 2 tiered tool box from home depot that he had to modify but it seems to work nicely depending on how much gear you have.
Found him, looks interesting. A bit too small for me maybe. But yeah, it’s going to have to be a diy solution of some kind.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Atrophist wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:02 am
Found him, looks interesting. A bit too small for me maybe. But yeah, it’s going to have to be a diy solution of some kind.
How about guitar pedalboard?
Lots of sizes available and most of them have removable lid with shallow edge on the bottom.
Something like this?
https://www.thomann.de/fi/rockboard_ped ... _black.htm
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

Yeah, pedalboards is another solution I've tried. To get all the gear I need attached to just one, it would have to be gigantic, lmost impossible to maneuver with one arm. I've also tried tried two smaller ones, which is better. But still not quite ideal! The search continues, in other words. :)
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Namahs wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:56 am
Atrophist wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:02 am

How about guitar pedalboard?
Lots of sizes available and most of them have removable lid with shallow edge on the bottom.
Something like this?
https://www.thomann.de/fi/rockboard_ped ... _black.htm
That is a nice option. I was initially impressed by the husky because it have the two cantilever storage units with the legs that pop out for the top drawer. Because my space at home is tight and there's nothing more annoying than having to break down your shit every night especially when you want to pick up where you left off....

Being able to have a specific rig ready to go for me is great. The only downside to the husky is that the top drawer is shallower and the lid is a thin clear plastic (which can be sprayed over and reinforced).
housepig
Thrashmaster

Post by housepig »

one thing I've done a few times is cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to fit inside a case, cover it with the carpet that automotive shops sell to the guys pimping out their car stereo systems, add a couple of simple handles to either end. Then use velcro on the base of pedals, mixers, noise gens, whatever, along with the cabling & power. open the case pull out the rig by the handles and set up on your table / floor / stand / ironing board. I lucked into a couple of rolling Pelican cases and they work great, but rectangular guitar, bass or keyboard cases work as well - just pull out any insert material and make it a blank rectangle inside. Many music shops will have a beat-up oddball case that doesn't fit anything in the shop that you can get for cheap, and it should handle at least one layer of pedals.

If the case is deep enough you can do two smaller boards, just be mindful about the connections between them; even a split rig is faster to put up and take down than hooking up each individual pedal.
Molena
C20

Post by Molena »

ASN wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:57 pm
Molena wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:43 pm once saw a pedal/noise maker called the torture wheel. think it was masf pedals but never seen it again anywhere. it looked and sounded amazing.
Traumatone made them (Ryan Bloomer/ Flatline Construct/ Delta Kane/ Stegm/ Zenta Sustained/ Intensive Care etc etc)

I tested a few prototypes on tour in 2008 before the final version was settled on.

Industrial Hazard made a sanctioned tribute to it, but it’s not the same, the wheel is very different and doesn’t function in the same way.
thats right it was traumatone! i think i saw the industrial hazaard version somewhere and you are right the wheel had a totally different function. if i recall it wasnt that expensive but it would probably bring quite a few $$$'s if released now.
Molena
C20

Post by Molena »

to be honest, i would love just every pedal/effect to have connections that line up so they are easy to link together instead of having cable spaghetti, but i know this is just a dream.
moozz
Hard Panning

Post by moozz »

Molena wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:49 pm to be honest, i would love just every pedal/effect to have connections that line up so they are easy to link together instead of having cable spaghetti, but i know this is just a dream.
Alesis had their ModFX series where all effects had RS232 ports, input on one side, output on the other. You can just plug these into each other without any cables (except for power cables). No a perfect solution by any means but it is cable-free.

ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

moozz wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:13 am
Molena wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:49 pm to be honest, i would love just every pedal/effect to have connections that line up so they are easy to link together instead of having cable spaghetti, but i know this is just a dream.
Alesis had their ModFX series where all effects had RS232 ports, input on one side, output on the other. You can just plug these into each other without any cables (except for power cables). No a perfect solution by any means but it is cable-free.

Love these pedals.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

It'd be great if someone designed a patchbay system specifically for pedals... some kind of customizable snake with DB25 connectors to the rear and a standard 1/4" (or even better for # of patch points and lighter weight all around: 3.5mm) patching interface on the front. I've had ideas for something like this for a while but the engineering is beyond me.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:09 am It'd be great if someone designed a patchbay system specifically for pedals... some kind of customizable snake with DB25 connectors to the rear and a standard 1/4" (or even better for # of patch points and lighter weight all around: 3.5mm) patching interface on the front. I've had ideas for something like this for a while but the engineering is beyond me.
Behringer had posted to IG a year or two ago with a concept for rack mounted guitar pedals that seemed like it was going in that direction at a very affordable price and nothing came of it. Bored Brain put out the patchulator a while back that did something similar but the interface was a bit all over the place.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

SS1535 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:15 pm
ASN wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:39 pm Unfortunately I don’t and Max from Death Kneel has mine now.

The thing that looks like a hot plate next to the red cup on the right of photo is the prototype.

The prototype did not survive the tour so the final version was in a metal enclosure and smaller, wheel was matt black.

I put nails in mine so it was also a shaker. You basically pushed the wheel down and turned it and it made an unholy screeching sound.
So what exactly did it do? Did you spin the wheel to get sounds---like some sort of more controllable shaker box?
What was the functionality like? did you move the disc like a dj and it produced a grating sound? did it spin on it's own? I cannot find anything online about it.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

luciferjonez wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:33 pm
SS1535 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:15 pm

What was the functionality like? did you move the disc like a dj and it produced a grating sound? did it spin on it's own? I cannot find anything online about it.
It sounds like the first of the two, but I can envision it being motorized with great results.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

I'm trying to conceptualize hw to make one.... Maybe a single coil pickup inside an enclosure with a spinning disc that is manually moved to scape on the pickups? maybe a contact mic added for additional frequencies? I am not a programmer so maybe an analog servo motor? OR! a small fans guts used to power a disc with contact mic? Hmmmmmmm....
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:09 am It'd be great if someone designed a patchbay system specifically for pedals... some kind of customizable snake with DB25 connectors to the rear and a standard 1/4" (or even better for # of patch points and lighter weight all around: 3.5mm) patching interface on the front. I've had ideas for something like this for a while but the engineering is beyond me.
I'm pretty sure I've seen something like this on Etsy. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention at the time, cuz this isn't really something I was in the market for.

Sorry, this is probably not very helpful, but at least you're not the only one with this idea.
DIODE SNORTER
C20

Post by DIODE SNORTER »

Why DB25 specifically?
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Mostly because it's a common connector used in patchbay snakes, particularly for large studio/live sound rigs, though it could be any kind of multi-pin connector that will accomodate x number of connections. I was thinking, actually, that it might make cabling easier to have a smaller set of pins connecting to 1/3 or 1/2 1u modules with fewer cables needing to snake as far out to the further ends of a large pedal/tabletop rig. Plus, it can suit smaller rigs but still be exandable. Passive mults and attenuators built in would be neat also. Leaning hard on 3.5mm patch panels for issues of weight, bulk and space in this theoretical system.
PetiteSoles
Hard Panning

Post by PetiteSoles »

The ultimate dream is one of those big metal junkyard devices with the gears and teeth that basically eats up anything. I just looked and I guess it’s a car shredder.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

luciferjonez wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:55 pm I'm trying to conceptualize hw to make one.... Maybe a single coil pickup inside an enclosure with a spinning disc that is manually moved to scape on the pickups? maybe a contact mic added for additional frequencies? I am not a programmer so maybe an analog servo motor? OR! a small fans guts used to power a disc with contact mic? Hmmmmmmm....
I'm no engineer or anything either, but I would imagine that the motor (if you wanted to motorize it) would have to be pretty powerful---especially if you want to get a really strong scraping sound of metal against metal. I think Knurl might have done somewhat similar things with power saws or something?

However, looking back to early Merzbow, Nurse With Wound type stuff, I could see it also working as an interesting/simple drone machine if you use the right materials.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

SS1535 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:31 pm
luciferjonez wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:55 pm I'm trying to conceptualize hw to make one.... Maybe a single coil pickup inside an enclosure with a spinning disc that is manually moved to scape on the pickups? maybe a contact mic added for additional frequencies? I am not a programmer so maybe an analog servo motor? OR! a small fans guts used to power a disc with contact mic? Hmmmmmmm....
I'm no engineer or anything either, but I would imagine that the motor (if you wanted to motorize it) would have to be pretty powerful---especially if you want to get a really strong scraping sound of metal against metal. I think Knurl might have done somewhat similar things with power saws or something?

However, looking back to early Merzbow, Nurse With Wound type stuff, I could see it also working as an interesting/simple drone machine if you use the right materials.
I am definitely not qualified to be an engineer nor play one on TV, but in searching on amazon I found affordable geared motors that will work off a 12 volt power supply (which I can probably hook up to a 9v battery for a slower grind) along with a control module that is pre-wired. I'm thinking maybe a hard drive disk would be light enough with maybe a nail mounted underneath to scrape the surface? If my costing is right (I also suck at math), I'm looking at $50 in parts to hopefully not screw up an experiment and god knows how many hours in labor to get it right.