Now Playing

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
skeletondust
Hard Panning

Re: Now Playing

Post by skeletondust »

After going through a several month-long uninspired noise dry spell, I find myself back into the fold I love so much following the Heat Signature Euro tour last month. As a result, I have been devouring noise any chance I get, which usually means a CD in the car and records or tapes at home when full-volume listening allows:

Mikadoroid - s/t cs (bootleg reissue of 1996 Slaughter Productions release)

Fucking awesome, long-form collaboration tape from the minds of David Gilden and Thirdorgan. It's a long one so there's plenty of room for Mikadoroid to combine their powers and noise methods, including lots of blasted-out dynamic noise that zips back and forth amongst the stereo field.

Treriksröset - s/t cs (Hatband, 2018)

When you listen to Treriksröset, you listen to a guy that "get's it", and by god is this tape no exception. Two live sets, two significantly different vibes, both excellent in their own right. I love that the project shows versatility with a somewhat ambient, but alienation-inducing feedback-heavy performance on the B-side, but I'm sitting here cross-eyed, drool running down my chin with the A-side of this fucking tape. Tommy is a master of overloaded, fucked noise, but like other legends, has the innate ability of lasso-ing that shit in and controlling it with what sounds like an effortless hand. It feels genuine, it feels extreme-r than extreme, it's the absolute best. Desert island tape.

Outdoor Horse Shrine - Hibernal Deformation cs (self-released, 2023)

A maiden voyage recording for a new and very promising noise act from Cincinnati, OH. I have known Joe, the guy behind OHS for many years as a customer at Skeleton Dust, and was surprised to see him start a noise project recently as I never really knew him to be a fan of noise. At any rate, it doesn't really matter what his background on noise is or isn't, he has already impressed me with an excellent live set at the shop in early April, and again with this recent self-released tape that was gifted to me. Without trying to sound derivative, OHS reminds me of MSBR in a lot of ways; it's free and explores all sonic territory unabashedly (thankfully remaining in the harsher realm much of the time), but also has it's own kind of focus and locked-in feel. Check out the killer instrument list too!
oZiris
Hard Panning

Post by oZiris »

Machine Girl - ...BECAUSE IM YOUNG ARROGANT AND HATE EVERYTHING YOU STAND FOR
Makaveli - The Don Killuminati (The 7 Day Theory)
Merzbow - Yahatahachiman
Scant - "At Fault"
Torn Relics - Abolish Dogma
moozz
Hard Panning

Post by moozz »

Richard Ramirez - Vulgar Tastes
A rather standard Ramirez fare, not his best, not his worst. Plenty of cock up the ass.

Drug Age - Dyslexic Action
Missed the cassette edition 10 years ago but luckily this was reissued. Solid harsh noise.

Daniel Menche - Sleeper
Always been a big fan of Daniel Menche but some of the later releases have not hit me that hard. This one, on the other hand, is fantastic drone. I was a bit afraid that 3 hours of drone would be more on the boring side but no, this is excellent and somehow remains interesting throughout the whole album

Commuter - No Longer Penitent
Great mix of field recordings and all sorts of noise, sometimes harsh, sometimes less harsh. The first album never grabbed me but after this one I feel like I should give it another chance.
Vaykorus
Contact Mic

Post by Vaykorus »

Adriano Vincenti - Marcire (2019)

Vaykorus Tapes
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

lille roger - for life
harmaa getto - ovenvartija
nico - desertshore
hedkleaner - anxiety outlet session
new boyfriends - I & II
clear stream temple - XVI
vomir - social distancing
legendary pink dots - curse
circle - prospekt
black leather jesus - jesus is stoned
hattifnattar - watcher of the skies

I still remember this forum!
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

JOHN DUNCAN - Bitter Earth (iDeal)
MERZBOW - Flare Blues LP (Room40)
MERZBOW & SMEGMA - Plays CD (Helicopter)
MOT & VIOLENT SHOGUN - Mangle CS (Absurd Exposition)
SPRING OF LIFE - Brown Bed CS (White Centipede Noise)
SPRING OF LIFE - Interface CS (going on the year-end list, no doubt)
ROBERT TURMAN & JOHN WIESE - Solid State of Time CD (Helicopter)
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Tribe Tapes
Thrashmaster

Post by Tribe Tapes »

Big City Orchestra - Massacre Again (Tonspur)
One of the more common BCO releases, in Europe at least, which had still managed to elude me until now. Largely improvisational work on the A-Side, with “real” instruments including guitar, albeit prepared in the avant-garde sense. Side B features more dense tape works including one composed for radio.

Paradox ‘88 - The Rest Is Silence (Out of the Blue)
1988 noise release from Jerusalem of all places. Starting off with highly saturated, noisy radio cut-ups and hitting numerous other stops on its way down. Kitchen sink improv, barebones synth meandering, and an array of bizarre found sounds.

Moisten Before Use - Still No Reply (Fragment)
Beautiful, humid cassette collage from this UK act. The B-Side’s opener, “I Could Have Talked To God”, is an unbelievably strange song, blending chaotic tape loops with a foot-tapping lyric. Somewhere between The Residents and early Dead C.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Lusters - Worm Way Complesso
Corral Shut - Sheer
Mot - Fretted
Hautaus - Kuolemasta
Scarlet Diva - To Sleep And Wake Unafraid
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

Rotmans - 490/504

Blackhumour - engines of desire

Hack Conduit - Regress

Thomas DeAngelo - Voiceprints & Aircuts: Sound Poetry by Other Means

Jazzhand - Muuttomatkalainen
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

Neandertaal – Follicles c20 (Bent Window Records)

Been enjoying this one very, much, probably spun it 4-5 times already this week and not sick of it at all. Total blind buy based on the description, never heard the artist before, and going to be looking for future releases. Finnish-based and the source material is the standard metal thrashing highly treated, but done so well. Really unique use of effects to dress it up and generate some interesting sounds. Doesn't sound like Dressing, but makes me think of how uniquely he treats his sound sources and I get a somewhat loose but comparable vibe here, but with a more direct thrashing and straight-ahead approach. And the cover is so gripping, grabbed me immediately. Check it out!

https://bentwindowrecords.bandcamp.com/album/follicles

Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:09 pm Neandertaal – Follicles c20 (Bent Window Records)

Been enjoying this one very, much, probably spun it 4-5 times already this week and not sick of it at all. Total blind buy based on the description, never heard the artist before, and going to be looking for future releases. Finnish-based and the source material is the standard metal thrashing highly treated, but done so well. Really unique use of effects to dress it up and generate some interesting sounds. Doesn't sound like Dressing, but makes me think of how uniquely he treats his sound sources and I get a somewhat loose but comparable vibe here, but with a more direct thrashing and straight-ahead approach. And the cover is so gripping, grabbed me immediately. Check it out!

Love it!
Gonna see him live next month and we've planned noise/sludge session also
leuksi
Hard Panning

Post by leuksi »

Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:09 pm Neandertaal – Follicles c20 (Bent Window Records)

Thank you for the kind words!
Ineffable Slime
Hard Panning

Post by Ineffable Slime »

https://tradingwreckage.bandcamp.com/al ... ece-mclean

Daniel Ryan Reece McClean split tape. Great stuff, Daniel's track is slow build cut up, Reece's side is more Dylan Nyoukis style cryptic tape collage. Catch Daniel on the TEF tour w all the other TX heads.
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

Rotmans - Two

Really incredible tape. Its very dense, but not in the typical, bass-heavy way. The other tape they put out, 490/504 is also great.

Territorial Gobbing - Hot Singles in Your Area

This is great. It’s silly in all the best ways, and inventive. The Donald Duck vocals (?) stand out. It gets really choppy and noisy as well.

Pupils of Harpocrates - S/T

There are a lot of strange, swirling sounds on here. It feels very grey. Definitely need to check out more from this project.

Xenojothsz CDr

No idea what the deal with this - it seems homemade. Very cool regardless, two tracks coming in at 16 minutes. The second, harsher track has a different sound to it than a lot of stuff you hear.
shrouded.in.antiquity
Hard Panning

Post by shrouded.in.antiquity »

Spent most of today going through collage materials and scraps, as well as assembling some sketches using bits and pieces I've had too long. Here was my playlist:

Corral Shut - Ramshackle CD
The New Boyfriends - 1 & 2 2xCD
Lapse - Powerline CD
Primitive Wings - Morphosis CD

I decided to spend the last portion going through the Wall Riders discography, due to recent acquisitions of the reissues:

Wall Riders - Documents 1 & 2 CD (Ominous Recordings Reissue)
Wall Riders - Document III CD (Trauma Tone)
Wall Riders - Document IV CS (Room 2A)

What a completely staggering and monumental harsh noise/hnw outfit. Absolutely mighty and uncompromising.
New Forces
Hard Panning

Post by New Forces »

Emeralds - A Real Clean Gang (Together Tapes) 2xCS
My Emeralds tapes continue to survive all purges, what a great band to scratch an itch for that particular flavor of drone from that era. Solar Bridge is one of my favorite records.

DieSonne Satan – Fac-Totum (Slaughter Productions) CS
One of those Slaughter tapes that are usually classified as "dark ambient" but are sort of all-over-the-place in this delightful way, not just 60 minutes of the same slow churning muck but pretty active and actual "songs" almost.

Pain Jerk – Epistasis (AMP) CS
This is a good one, it has that mirage-like quality of many Pain Jerk tapes that feel breathlessly fast but when you listen closely you second-guess yourself, and wonder if those filter sweeps are actually kinda slow and you're not sure what's going on...
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene
JuntaCadre
Hard Panning

Post by JuntaCadre »

Tonight's harsh noise
What Abraham found easiest, I would have found hard, namely to be joyful again with Isaac

Herukrat, Junta Cadre, Commuter.

https://juntacadre.bandcamp.com/
https://newforces.bandcamp.com/album/no-longer-penitent
oZiris
Hard Panning

Post by oZiris »

Faust - IV
Solmania - Highdrophobia
Solmania - Psycledelic
Suicide - S/T
Yamataka EYE & John Zorn - 50th Birthday Celebration Vol. 10

Also
I fucking love this High Wolf mix. I jam on it like every single summer.
JuntaCadre
Hard Panning

Post by JuntaCadre »

This afternoon
What Abraham found easiest, I would have found hard, namely to be joyful again with Isaac

XXX
C20

Post by XXX »

JuntaCadre wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:55 pm This afternoon
big fan of the Apefrica lp. truly sits at the top tier of modern pe.
JuntaCadre
Hard Panning

Post by JuntaCadre »

XXX wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:39 pm
I always (barely jokingly) say that interracial sex is the only actual modern power electronics when I’m talking about the project

k.p.g
Hard Panning

Post by k.p.g »

Rodger Stella - Resin Drones (Mutter Wild)
This is among my favorite works of Stella's. Love how lowkey and minimal it is, barely moving in an inch throughout the four pieces. Wonderful noise to relax to at night.

Shredded Nerve/Form Hunter - Split (self-released)
My most recent show pickup. This split is no frills, just two artists rocking their style to the max. Form Hunter side was especially choice.

Shredded Nerve - Willed Into Existence (Station Fourteen)
What I am listening to as I literally type this. I was inspired to pull it out after that last split, and it never disappoints. It is a shorter effort from Justin, only clocking in at about 11 minutes total, but both sides are quick to immerse you in their darkness.

Metal Scene NYC - Metal Scene NYC (self-released)
A messy affair of metal clangs and synth. This one is a personal favorite of mine throughout my entire collection.

Ahlzviodre - Ahlzviodre (No Rent)
Reissue of this collab. I don't think this release reveals its power after one listen. Multiple listens make you grow to appreciate how crushing and varied this collab was for the time that it came out. Plus, how can you not love a young FFH hopping on the mic at the end?

"Fontana" C90, C60, C30 (No Rent)
The big, star-studded comp. of the summer!!! Featuring such wonderful artists like... well, wait. No one knows. What?
I gave this 3-tape set a full listen in one go. 3 hours with Fontana. It is a trip. And it was worth taking the gamble on an anonymous roster. I am excited to see if anyone posts theories on who makes appearances around the interwebs. I have my ideas - some artists just have too noticeable of a sonic footprint to hide. These tapes are great though, with the C90 being my favorite. Despite its length, it goes by quick. Never feels like it drags too long. It is a great flow curated on the No Rent end.
Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
JuntaCadre
Hard Panning

Post by JuntaCadre »

k.p.g wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:57 am "Fontana" C90, C60, C30 (No Rent)
The big, star-studded comp. of the summer!!! Featuring such wonderful artists like... well, wait. No one knows. What?
I gave this 3-tape set a full listen in one go. 3 hours with Fontana. It is a trip. And it was worth taking the gamble on an anonymous roster. I am excited to see if anyone posts theories on who makes appearances around the interwebs. I have my ideas - some artists just have too noticeable of a sonic footprint to hide. These tapes are great though, with the C90 being my favorite. Despite its length, it goes by quick. Never feels like it drags too long. It is a great flow curated on the No Rent end.
Take my word for it, the lineup is insane! Him and I talked for awhile because he was conflicted about making it anonymous with such a roster, but in the end I think it makes it what it is.

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

k.p.g wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:57 am Shredded Nerve/Form Hunter - Split (self-released)
My most recent show pickup. This split is no frills, just two artists rocking their style to the max. Form Hunter side was especially choice.

Dang, I need that...

Since yesterday, I've been listening to this a lot:

Linekraft - Hunger for Life CD (Old Captain)

https://oldcaptain.bandcamp.com/album/l ... r-for-life

The best live pe/noise album I've heard in a long time. The songs have space to breathe and it's the best release I've ever heard from him. Btw it's a Japanese project, for those not in the know. Dude rules. And support independent media in Ukraine by supporting Old Captain!!!
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

JuntaCadre wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:29 am
XXX wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:39 pm
I always (barely jokingly) say that interracial sex is the only actual modern power electronics when I’m talking about the project
I stupidly slept on the Apefrica LP and have been kicking myself. Oskar mentioned reissuing it on CD at one point and I hope that's still planned.